Start by marking “Love Is the Best Medicine: What Two Dogs Taught One Veterinarian about Hope, Humility, and Everyday Miracles” as Want to Read:

A book guaranteed to touch anyone who has ever had a beloved pet…

From instant New York Times bestseller, Dr. Nick Trout comes another touching and heartfelt story from the front lines of veterinary medicine—the story of two dogs who forever changed the way he thought about life, death, fate and love.

Helen is an older cocker spaniel found neglected and abandoned in
Published March 2nd 2010 by Broadway Books

To ask other readers questions about Love Is the Best Medicine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Is the Best Medicine

The Bluest Eye by Toni MorrisonThe Last Battle by C.S. LewisThe Last Kingdom by Bernard CornwellThe Littlest Angel by Charles TazewellThe Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell
The [Superlative] [Noun]
327 books — 30 voters
Tell Me Where It Hurts by Nick TroutAll Creatures Great and Small by James HerriotAll Things Bright and Beautiful by James HerriotJames Herriot's Animal Stories by James HerriotZoo Vet by David    Taylor
Vets
67 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Love Is the Best Medicine: What Two Dogs Taught One Veterinarian about Hope, Humility, and Everyday Miracles
Tara Chevrestt
Apr 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Susan
The first half of this book is superb. I had two really good laughs to the point that people around me wanted to know what was so funny and I really liked the way it was written, more like a novel rather than non fiction. It introduces the two main canine characters, Cleo and Helen, and their human parents and the lead up to their unfortunate medical problems. In between getting to know the two families there are funny stories about what is going on in Dr. Trout's medical facility. This is where ...more
Reese
Mar 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Starting LOVE IS THE BEST MEDICINE, I had, if not "great expectations," at least high hopes. Nick Trout's TELL ME WHERE IT HURTS told me that his second book would be worth reading -- despite its pardon-me-while-I-yoan (yawn that sounds like a groan) title. If the author were not a veterinarian, I wouldn't be reviewing this book because I would never have touched a book entitled LOVE IS THE BEST MEDICINE written by anyone other than a vet.

The first half (or more) of Trout's second book made me a
Carrie Daws
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm not one to cry easily, but this book had me in tears multiple times. More than that, Dr. Trout's reflections got me thinking about my life with my own pets as well as life with my friends and family. Some readers have criticized the second half of the book its introspective dive, but I found it appropriate and healthy considering the author's journey with a min pin named Cleo.

Nick Trout writes with all the skill of a fiction author, taking the reader along on a story that I struggled to put
John Winkelman
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A terrific story by a veterinarian who has to rationalize the relationship of his scientific training and the power of love and healing in the animal spirit. I had it as n audio book but would still describe it as a great read.
Caitlin
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
As a veterinarian, I was touched by this book more deeply than I might expect of the average, pet-loving reader. That said, this story illustrates the bonds we share with our pets in such a beautiful way. I laughed, and cried, and hugged my dogs tight when I was done.
Rachel
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: animals, non-fiction
Nick Trout is a veterinary surgeon in Boston and here he tells the story of Cleo, a miniature pinscher with a broken leg, Helen, an elderly cocker spaniel who after a life scavenging on the streets gets taken home by a couple who shortly thereafter discover that Helen has lung cancer, and how the lives of these two dogs became connected.

I don't want to be too hard on this book because I think Dr. Trout is well-intentioned (and also because: doggies!), but late in the book when he says that he k
Me
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dr. Nick Trout analyzes how his dog patients and families have influenced his life. Two dogs in particular played a crucial role in how he perceives life, love, life expectancy, etc. Interspersed between the two stories that ultimately connect, the reader is presented with several accounts of technical descriptions of operations, other animal patients, and a delve into his personal life as he reveals his daughter's cystic fibrosis. This is a must read for pet owners! I will especially remember h ...more
Rachel
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dog-books
“Cancer is not the same as death”

“But how could a dog with terminal cancer be so lucky”

“And when she finally gets her first opportunity to live a decent life, a real dogs life, this goddamn awful disease comes along, determined to sweep it out from under our feet”

Helen is a spaniel rescued from the streets to a good home. Abused and not taken care of this couple take her in, only to find out their new family member has terminal lung cancer. Reading how a women determined to keep her alive for
David Szatkowski
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book by Dr. Trout that I've read. I have enjoyed them both. They are wonderfully written, and give insight into the joy that animals bring into our lives. If you enjoyed the "All Creatures Great and Small"series (either books or TV), then I would recommend this. I listened to this as an audio book, which was a good choice for this book.
Theresa Marie
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a current Veterinary student this book reminds me of the many reasons the human-animal bond is so cherished. Great afternoon porch reading (meaning that I finished this book in one long sitting with several cups of tea) ❤🐾
Dee
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
its always interesting listening to the introspection of individuals who we place our trust in (doctors, vets) and how they face their own experiences and mistakes to help make them better at what they do
LouAnn
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this book would be funny, but it was quite serious. Even though it wasn't what I expected, I enjoyed it very much. It's very touching and the themes of love in it can be applied to people's relationships as well as pet owners' love for their pets.
Bob
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This a wonderful book! Trout delivers a brilliantly heartwarming and enlightening account of joys and heartbreaks he has faced as a veterinarian, and the lasting impact two amazing dogs had on his life.
Marilyn Johnson
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You had me at dog. Ok, I'm a sucker for dog bios. I inhaled this book. Dr. Trout brings his characters to life and best yet, these are the kind of people you want to befriend. This book hooked me emotionally in a good way and gave me insight into the thoughts of a veterinarian, at least, this veterinarian.
Kathy
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
I like his writing style. Additionally, as a healthcare professional, I really appreciate the inside workings of an animal hospital. I love comparing the animal hospital and care of animals to that of humans. This is nonfiction, which adds to the appeal.
Christine Goodnough
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall I enjoyed the book and the two stories very much. There were places where I found the philosophical musings a bit long-winded and deep, so I skimmed over some of those paragraphs, but overall the story is inspiring and definitely informative. A look behind the scenes, at veterinary medicine from the doctor's view.
Peggy
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my second Nick Trout book. After enjoying The Wonder of Lost Causes, I looked for a followup of his to read. I’m a fan because I’m an animal lover. His stories of his work as a surgeon in the animal hospital are inspiring. We recently lost our beloved peke and I relate so well to the families in this book.
Barb Turner
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As both a pet lover and a vet pharmacy tech - I loved this book.
Angela
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read for pet owners - whichever animal you choose to love be it dog, cat, bird, etc. - this book will make you think, laugh and cry. Beautifully written and heartfelt. I'm not sure how Dr. Trout faces each challenging case but it appears he has a heart of gold and certain animals and owners leave traces of themselves in his life.
Sue
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: animals
This is the second book by Nick Trout that I've read (My first was "Tell Me Where It Hurts.") but this one didn't pique my interest the way his previous book did. Now, if I'm going to say that, then it seems only fair to the author that I say why it didn't hold my interest, but I'm not sure I can. The pacing in this book felt slower, and so the story did not progress as fast as I would have liked, but I don't think that's the entire reason for my "just okay" rating. I think my rating has more to ...more
Heather G Gentle
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read straight through this book in a reading marathon! Couldn't stop reading it. I really enjoyed the stories of Helen and Cleo and how they intertwined. I'm probably somewhat partial because I worship the ground my dog walks on but I just loved the emotions that these dogs and their stories brought out in the people.

I've been through something similar with my dog-- major surgery-- investing everything I have-- and knowing it's worth it when you see that little face-- and knowing they would d
Kirsti
Apr 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I can't fully recall the first book of Nick Trout's that I read, apart from remembering I really enjoyed it. I have read other 'Vet' books, including James Herriot's, but never that of a surgeon. This book was much sadder than the first, more of a reflection than the humerous anecdotes from the first. The blurb on the back tells that two dogs will change the way you think, and this book was sufficently emotional to do this. I just didn't connect with Nick this time around as much as before, and ...more
Sheila
Apr 06, 2010 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this through Goodreads First Reads. As a total dog lover, and since I am married to a veterinarian, I was very much looking forward to reading this book. But while it was interesting, the book seemed to get bogged down heavily in the death of one dog under anesthesia prior to a surgery, and the death of this dog weighs heavily on all the events and all of the story in the remainder of the book. And it just seemed to be a bit too much in my opinion.
If you are a dog lover tho
Nathan
Dr. Trout lays it on pretty thick; there's a lot of sobbing and miracles and souls connecting and hearts changing. Still, who can deny the sweetness? The point of this book is to underline the special way that humans and animals can connect, the way that we can learn from them. I wasn't a fan of his pseudo-mystical, over-emotional anthropomorphizing, but I am a fan of what he tries to accomplish through it.
Sandra McLeod
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pet, nonfiction
This is the story of two amazing dogs and their equally amazing owners, but it is also so much more than that! It's the story of loss and love and pain and joy. The book is beautifully written and is inspiring as the author uses the loss of one dog to intensify his efforts to help other animals. Highly Recommended!
Jennie
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another book I ended up crying over. The stories were sweet. I liked the other cases he talked about. I will definitely check out his other books.
Chris
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Interesting story about the everyday dealings of a veterinarian and the animals and their owners that he encounters. It was an enjoyable book.
Debby
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
GREAT book about some life lessons learned from being a vet and a pet lover. I highly recommend reading this book and I look forward to reading Trout's other book.
Zoann
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book represents Massachusetts in my list of 50 states books but I don't know why. There was nothing about the book that was informative about Massachusetts. It could have been set any where. The fact that I listened to the book and the reader had a British accent made it even more disorienting.

I was made uncomfortable by the stress this book brings to how much time, effort and money we spend on pets. It just feels wrong. The author addresses the issue when he talks about his youngest daught
Gwendalyn
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Whew! There was a lot of fabricated drama in this book. The writer wrote in extensive detail about the most insignificant things. For instance he describes a young man just coming into the age where he can grow a goatee, and the way this young man strokes his goatee absentmindedly/proudly. Who is this young man? A man who when asked if he knew whether a certain stray dog had an owner did not know. For this we need to hear about the pride he has in his newly created goatee? I listened (to the aud ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Around the Year i...: Love Is the Best Medicine, by Nick Trout 2 15 May 20, 2016 06:53PM

• If Only They Could Talk
  • Fillets of Plaice
  • The Path to Power
  • The Heart of the Dales
  • Huck: The Remarkable True Story of How One Lost Puppy Taught a Family - and a Whole Town - About Hope and Happy Endings
  • Last Dog on the Hill: The Extraordinary Life of Lou
  • Through a Dog's Eyes: Understanding Our Dogs by Understanding How They See the World
  • Scent of the Missing: Love and Partnership with a Search-And-Rescue Dog
  • Little Boy Blue: A Puppy's Rescue from Death Row and His Owner's Journey for Truth
  • Dogtripping: 25 Rescues, 11 Volunteers, And 3 RVs On Our Canine Cross-Country Adventure
  • Soul of a Dog: Reflections on the Spirits of the Animals of Bedlam Farm
  • Until I Say Goodbye: A Book about Living
  • The Possibility Dogs: What a Handful of "Unadoptables" Taught Me About Service, Hope, and Healing
  • My Life Among the Underdogs: A Memoir
  • Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, and the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero
  • Your Blue Is Not My Blue: A Missing Person Memoir
  • Diana's Story
  • The Perfect Predator: A Scientist's Race to Save Her Husband from a Deadly Superbug: A Memoir

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
I’m from England and I’m a veterinary surgeon working at the Angell Animal Medical Center in Boston, one of the biggest animal hospitals in the world. If I had to sum up the best part of my career in one word it would be ‘unpredictable’ because what’s great about coming to work everyday is the certainty of surprise. It might be a Chihuahua or a Great Dane, a Maine Coon Cat or an iguana. It might b ...more