Start by marking “Shades of Gray (Amaranthine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shades of Gray (Amaranthine, #1)

Shades of Gray

(Amaranthine #1)

When Patrick is murdered, Katelina is left with questions. Jorick, one of his so-called friends, has answers of the darkest kind: Patrick was involved with - and betrayed - a coven of vampires; vampires that may now be after Katelina.The tale is fantastic, but the proof appears in a flash of fangs that Katelina and Jorick only just escape. Taken to a secret mansion, she di ...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Shades of Gray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shades of Gray

Start your review of Shades of Gray (Amaranthine, #1)
E.G. Manetti
Not for the faint of heart, Shades of Gray moves at dizzy pace from threats of violence to actual violence as the heroine, Katelina, struggles to survive her sudden entrance into the world of vampires. Real vampires, as in the scary people eating ones. Exception: Katelina's hot protector, Jorick.
Ruth
Jan 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that starts off with a bang and keeps going. I couldn't think of one dull moment. Even parts that could have dragged on kept my interest because they advanced the romantic sub-plot between Katelina and Jorick, which led to the question, "How far will someone go to protect someone they love?"

The book starts when Katelina recalls finding Patrick (who is sort of a boyfriend but not really) dead in his apartment. Then she gets a phone call from someone telling her that he
Claire
Apr 30, 2013 rated it liked it
So, i finished the first book last night.

I wont lie, it was quite a hard book to get into. But once you do get into it, its a good book! The author took alot of time to try to describe each situation, but to a point there was almost too many of the "this felt like this" rather than just saying "it felt like this". Thats probably the only niggly bit about the books.

It paints Vampires in a very different light than what most writers are doing at the moment. No Sparkling, No bagged blood, and thery
Runningrabbit
I would have liked to give this book a 3.5 star rating. I did enjoy this book except, and there’s always an except, the one thing that truly irritated me was the durability of the main character to being bashed up. Although she is bashed in the face and her head repeatedly bashed into the ground, abysmally savaged, she keeps a stiff upper lip. Guess it was just character building.

She can still get up, she doesn’t have a headache, she can still see, she has no concussion, she doesn’t seem to suf
D.M.
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shades of Gray is an absolute must read for any adult. This was such a great read - a mystery, thriller, action, romance, paranormal book that I could not put down. Tired of books that take a while to get into? Then try reading this novel. It is difficult to set it down. The relationship between Jorick and Katelina develops quickly and is a sweet loving relationship that just makes you want to continue reading to see what happens to these two.
This is book one of a 3 part series, and I have alre
Tonia Lancaster
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. Once I picked it up I couldn't stop reading it. As soon as I was done I started on the next.
From the moment you meet Katerina you are part of her life and her struggle to overcome the death of her lover. Right away you are immersed in the world of vampires and are hooked! Such a great read, can't wait to get to the next part of the story.
Malene
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion, Joleene is soon to be a well known Author. Her imaginative writings are entertaining with well-built characters with personality. If you like non-stop action and fun -- you will enjoy this book! I hope to read her next book soon.
Sydney
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This series is addicting! I read this book in a day! I highly suggest it!
Paranormal Tendencies
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have had the pleasure of reading the first book in this series (which is free!!) and it is pretty amazing! Her series is about vampires, but make no mistake, these vamps don't sparkle! The story is filled with terror, gruesome scenes of carnage and some pretty horrifying characters. It all starts with a bloody murder scene. Katelina is thinking back to when she found her boyfriend Patrick's body. Then a mysterious phone call that leads to a series of events that change her life forever. Now sh ...more
Carol
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was an exceptional book! I can’t wait to read the next book in this series.
It sure keeps you guessing what’s going to happen next. There is lots of action going on in this book an really is a page turner. Now I can’t wait to start the next book.
This is a highly addictive series and I gladly recommend it.
Gina Guerra
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is a grusum tale, and I liked it.
Marilyn Mccaskey
Very enjoyable read.
Lance
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Hello fellow members of The Book Marketing Network and welcome back to another edition of What I Am Reading!
I hope you all have been enjoying this action packed, short month known as February. So much going on and in such a brief duration of time :-)
Today I am reviewing Shades of Gray by Joleene Naylor. This is book 1 in her exciting Amaranthine series. I have included the images of the book covers of not only this first installment, but also all the subsequent books in Joleene's series.
You can
Emily Guido
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Review of Shades of Gray, Amaranthine Series, Book One by Author Joleene Naylor.

Katelina was a normal young woman who was in a on again off again relationship with Patrick. She comes home one day to find Patrick brutally murdered.

Unbeknownst to her, Patrick was in a world of vampires with ancient laws, cruelty and unspeakable terrors.

Katelina is suddenly drawn into the grips of danger when she is offered protection from Jorick. He wants to protect her. They travel to escape the danger from a pow
Tricia Drammeh
Katelina is struggling to come to grips with the death of her lover, Patrick. When a stranger calls her and asks her to meet him, she balks at the idea. But how can she resist his promise to tell her what really happened to Patrick? Against her better judgement, she meets the stranger (Jorick) and finds herself caught up in a world she never knew existed. Katelina's life is in danger, and only Jorick can protect her.

I loved, loved, loved this book. The story moves quickly, but the reader is stil
Amanda Shelley-Masters
Awesome book! Joleene Naylor is a superb writer as she brings her characters to life threatening heights again and again. I love how every time you think the characters are safe something else shakes them up. it is a never ending battle of intrigue.

In this first Story In Joleene's Amaranthine Series Katelina and Jorick meet for the first time when her lover Patrick is brutally murdered and Jorick is the only one who seems to be willing to give Katelina any answers.

They are attacked by a band of
Teresa Todd
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Joleene Naylor has created an out-of-this-world supernatural thriller, filled with all kinds of wondrous paranormal adventures, that I immediately fell in love with!! I enjoyed that the book had a True Blood feel to it and was more an adult rather than a teen vampire story. The characters are complex and well blended into the story. I have to say; there was not one thing that I didn't like in this book!

As for the characters, a few of my favorites are Katelina, who finds her lover murdered in the
Stephannie Beman
Oct 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Katelina’s buddy-with-benefits is found murdered in his apartment. The result of a wild animal attack. But Katelina isn’t buying it. Of course she can’t explain what happened or why. Until she gets a call, “I know who killed your lover.”

Now she has a chance to get the answers, all she has to do is leave behind the life she lead to immerse herself into a world that turns reality on its head. She is about to learn that there are creatures in the dark, evil vampires that want her dead because of so
Maegan Provan
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After the murder of her friend/lover, Katelina's life seemed pretty bleak. One day, while at work, she received a phone call that changed everything. Katelina was quickly shoved in to the dark, macabre world of vampires. She has to change everything she knows about them in order to accept help from the tall, dark and handsome stranger that has come to her rescue.

I absolutely loved this book. If you don't know, I'm a sucker for GOOD vampire fiction and this was definitely GOOD vampire fiction. Jo
Stacy Eaton
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I have read by Joleene Naylor and I very much enjoyed it.

As Katelina deals with the death of someone close to her, she gets pulled into a world that she was not aware of. While she is being pulled into the world, she internally fights against what she believes to be real and pretend. It takes her a while to completely comprehend what vampires are and what that life is about.

I appreciated the fact that Katelina did not just jump in and embrace the fact that vampires existe
Sharon
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I am a big PNR and UF fan. I have read all the big names out there. I had never heard of Ms. Naylor, but I happened to be browsing my kindle and thought "what the hey, give it a try!" I was left with my mouth hanging open at how amazing this story was. And by amazing, I mean from the stand point of a girl who likes her smexy heroes and fast paced action. The action was non-stop and fun. Jorick is to die for. She gives just enough of his motivation and background to make me want more. I can't wai ...more
Heather Stanley
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a new series for me, I stumbled into a book party and now I'm so happy I did!!! The party was for another book in the series so being me I had to go back and start form the first!
I love a new find and this one fit the bill! The writing style is no holds bared and fast paced so it hooks you right in, I could not put it down! This is not a sappy typical vampire story it has a more real life feel to it.
Katelina has a pretty normal life until it all falls apart for her, she is pulled into a
Renee Trull
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
I almost did not read this book because of the cover ... I thought it was a youth book. Just goes to show that one should NOT judge a book by it's cover. I really really like this book. Katelina is a good character though a little slow on the uptake some times when it comes to the vampire world, but, you can't help but have hope for her. Jorick is great! He's so moody and shut down that you know there is some horrible secret he's hiding, you just want to shake his and hug his at the same time.
Ve
Lisa
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I wasn't fond of the first chapter lead in. It seemed disjointed. It left me with the feeling of being dumped in the middle of something. There is never any real attachment for Jorrick, no background to develop any feelings for him. Katelina is far to busy questioning herself and must be a bit daft not to leave after round one. Never got any strong feeling for her other than "you're kidding me right?". Gory. Some good writing and plot but just lacking the character development to keep me reading ...more
WINONA F.
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
omg! omg!! this book drew me in from the very beginning! kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading it and I couldn't put it down!! literally read it in less than a day! I am so enthralled with the charecters Jorick and Katelina that I can't wait to see what the world has in store for them both now that things have changed!! so ready to start book 2 and will be doing that tonight!!!
Amy
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoa, Nellie!

I really loved this book. I am definitely a romance lover, but this was more than that...it had more meat on its bones. It let me inside the characters' heads and helped me feel what they were feeling. It took me on a roller coaster ride of emotions; I found myself clenching my teeth, tensing up, and holding my breath while reading through it, and I wouldn't have it any other way. After this book, I binge-read the rest of the series. Trust me, you will, too!
M Grant
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Could tell this was a first novel... A good editor would have snapped this thing in shape...
My biggest problem with it was that I felt like the peripheral characters were more interesting than the main characters, the story was good, the plot points moved it along at a decent pace. Some of the exposition felt forced and unnecessary as well...
I enjoyed it, but I am not sure I am going to chase down the next book in the series right away.
Lisa
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
The storyline was very good However I felt very disconnected from Jorrick, for a master vamp, he seemed to lack alot of normal characteristics that are usually associated with that title, it made him difficult to like or dislike, I was indifferent. Something was missing overall but I can't put my finger on it. The author does write well though.
Shelly Turner
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this first book is my favorite so far of the whole line it is exciting it has a taste to it some parts to get slow though and I find myself skipping chapters in trying to get ahead because it's so wordy but it is a good read
Jul 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: vamps, 100-in-2011
Meh. I liked it, but it was slow-going. I do plan on reading the next book in the series.

• The Deal (The Mafia Proposal, #1)
  • Her Cowboy Hero (Rodeo Knights, #13)
  • Sweet, Decadent Fire (Breath of Darkness, #2)
  • Sei Thriller Starter Pack: Books 1 & 2 (Sei Thrillers)
  • Bad To The Bones (Evan Buckley Thriller, #1)
  • This is Gonna Hurt (Scare Street Horror Short Stories, #3)
  • Twist Of A Steel Bracelet: Psychological suspense that twists like a corkscrew (Morrison-Adams brief cases Book 1)
  • Wild Elite (Dark Dynasty #0.5)
  • Our Little Secrets (Montana Romance, #1)
  • Captured (Gowns & Crowns #2)
  • Hunting Delilah
Joleene Naylor is the author of the glitter-less Amaranthine vampire series, a world where vampires aren't for children. As a compliment to the novel series, she has also written several short stories, including the Vampire Morsels collection.

In her spare time, Joleene is a freelance book cover designer and for-fun photographer . She maintains several blogs full of odd ramblings, and occasionally

Amaranthine (8 books)
  • Legacy of Ghosts (Amaranthine, #2)
  • Ties of Blood (Amaranthine, #3)
  • Ashes of Deceit (Amaranthine #4)
  • Heart of the Raven (Amaranthine, #5)
  • Children of Shadows
  • Clash of Legends (Amaranthine Book 7)
  • Masque of the Vampire (Amaranthine Book 8)