Start by marking “The Prince of Mist (Niebla, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Prince of Mist (Niebla, #1)

The Prince of Mist

(Niebla #1)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  26,037 Ratings  ·  2,304 Reviews
A mysterious house harbors an unimaginable secret. . . .

It’s wartime, and the Carver family decides to leave the capital where they live and move to a small coastal village where they’ve recently bought a home. But from the minute they cross the threshold, strange things begin to happen. In that mysterious house there still lurks the spirit of Jacob, the previous owners’ s
Published May 4th 2010 by Little, Brown Books (first published 1993)

Rick Riordan
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
A big change of pace from my nonfiction reading about World War II, The Prince of Mist is a middle grade novel by acclaimed Spanish writer Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I'd read Zafon's The Name of the Wind, a brilliant adult novel blending Gothic horror and magic realism, but I wasn't aware that Zafon actually began his career writing middle grade fantasies. The Prince of Mist was his first book, and it did not disappoint.

The war in Europe plays only a background role in the book, much as it does in The L
TL
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Original read: June 2012
Re-read: January 2016

Third Read: July/August 2018

High praises to the narrator Jonathan Davis.. he did a wonderful job with the narration, specially with Kane.

The sound effects add a creepy factor to the story at times.. one part for me especially had me looking over my shoulder to make sure Kane wasn't behind me! (Even on third read)

Would love to see more of Kane again one day *crosses fingers*

The interview at the audiobook's end was a plus as well:).
----
Some samples of t
Denisse
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read for the 2015 Reading Challenge #27 A book you can finish in a day

I wish I had read it when I was 12. This is just the perfect mystery for the young ones.
Seriously people, read a Carlos Ruiz Zafon book, asap! His style is unique.

"Habrían de pasar muchos años antes de que Max olvidara el verano en que descubrió, casi por casualidad, la magia."

Hace ya un rato que quería releer este libro porque DIOS SANTO con la reseña que tenia antes XD Susto al miedo! Ademas quería leer algo bueno y corti
Franco  Santos
3.5

Buen libro. Tiene sus errores, el inicio es bastante lento, el final se me hizo largo, pero tiene ese toque Zafón que tanto me encanta.
Jim Fonseca
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: spanish-authors
Who would have thought that Zafon, best known for The Shadow of the Wind and The Angel’s Game, started his writing life as a young adult author? Now that he has achieved fame his publisher is bring these back in English translation, some of which won YA awards in Spain. I picked it up without knowing it was a YA book.

The story is a spooky mystery based around the main character, a pre-teen boy, his older sister and the boy’s older friend. It is set in a coastal village in Spain just before WW II
Helene Jeppesen
This novel was originally written for people at all ages, but it was published as a YA novel. It is the first book ever written by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, and it is a ghost story! All of the above-mentioned reason made me curious to read it and see if it would scare me as much as I was hoping for.
Having now read it, I have to admit that while it was a good enough story, it was also quite predictable, and it didn't scare me at all. I'm not even sure that it would've scared me when I was younger, just
Flor
Me ha gustado muchísimo.!!! Es lo primero que leo del autor y no me arrepiento de haber empezado con su primer trabajo. Ya quiero saber cómo continúa la historia y estoy deseando leer más de Zafón.!!! ❤
Con respecto al libro, me pareció muy original y atrapante. Leerlo en Halloween fue un plus !
Raina
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow, I am NEVER. EVER. going to watch Paranormal Activity.

Several scenes early in this book were SO SCARY that I had to put the book down to read something lighter to de-creep myself before I could fall asleep*. So, at least until I start living with other people again, I'm not allowed to read/watch anything scarier than this. :)

So yeah, it's creepy. As soon as the creepiness is explained, I was fine, so it really was just a few early scenes, but I'm an anticipation person and the unknown creep
Samantha
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was my first Ruiz book and it was fantastic! I recommend the audio book, it was very well done and even features music from Ruìz's own compositions. It almost had an Alfred Hitchcock feel to it. Just really good!
Jo
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, for-review
3.5 stars.

“In an infinite universe, there were too many things that escaped human understanding.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Um… so no one thought to ring the police or tell any grown-ups what just happened? We’re just going to look back on it as if it was just a crazy summer mad-cap adventure? Um…

High Points.
Max. I’ve been acquainted with a lot of Maxs recently and I have to say… it’s a good name. Beach houses. Roland. Alicia. Cats in wardrobes. Genuinely creepy. Beautiful writing, seriously
Mish
I stumbled upon this book at my daughter’s school library thinking that it might be fun to read a magical, adventure story.

Yes there was magic and adventure, but it also had one of the scariest and horrific sounding ghost that truly frighten me. I felt sensations that I hadn’t felt in years. Reading this sent shivers up my spine, put goose pimples on my arms, and it had me screeching like a little girl.

The book starts at a nice steady pace when Max Carver’s father decides to move his wife and t
Jaanaki
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Book 21 of 2018 : "The Prince of Mist " by Carlos Ruiz Zafron.
This has been sitting on my shelf for a very long time .It was bought during a period when I was overwhelmed with "The Shadow of the Wind" and wanted to read all of Zafron's work.
This is his debut novel and the writing shows that ,but it is still a good read for middle grade and it is not a surprise that it was initially published as a YA novel.
The story is horror based and reminded me of IT .We have a group of kids trying to kill an
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Nice little story, although I wonder if it has enough excitement to satisfy young'uns raised on the Harry Potter series. This was Ruiz-Zafon's first novel, originally published in 1992, so don't expect the depth and genius of The Shadow of the Wind. Still, there are a lot of elements I think will appeal to kids: the weird cat, the sunken ship, the old film reels, the clown (somewhat reminiscent of Stephen King's Pennywise).

The first half of the book is fairly ordinary. I kept wondering when it
Blair
The latest of Carlos Ruiz Zafón's works to be translated into English is also the first book the author had published. It was originally intended for teenagers, but this edition is clearly being marketed towards the author's adult fans; it has the same cover design as his adult titles, and a preface explains that it is designed to be enjoyed by readers of any age. I didn't go into this with high expectations, and I expected it to be kind of immature, but I still found it very disappointing.

The s
Kat Heckenbach
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
First of all, this book is labeled YA but it reads like a middle grade book. Other than one scene in which the main character spies on his sister and sees her making out with a boy, the whole book is written for a younger audience than YA. And btw, I'd probably call it 2.5 stars.

And yes, as some of the negative reviews say, this book is full of plot holes. Big ones. Things that should have been explained, but never are--like how the statue garden came into existence. It drove me NUTS that I neve
Kells Next Read
This was creepy and scary but wonderful. My only regret was that I statrted reading it in the night. ( had to sleep with the light on ; ))

Moving unto The Midnight Palace by Mr Zafon I'm hoping to finish most of his works by the first week in April.

Actual ratings: 3.75
Claudia
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro estupendo; me ha mantenido muy al pendiente y ha sido un gusto leer una novela que fue la primera de un autor que me gusta tanto.
Orbi Alter
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: djecja-i-ya
4,5
Divan!!!!
Maria
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“O Príncipe da Neblina roubara-lhe o melhor amigo de infância, a única mulher que amara e, por fim, furtava-lhe cada minuto da longa maturidade, transformando-o na sua sombra.”

Mais uma vez, Zafón brinda os seus leitores com uma história misteriosa, cheia de cinzentismo, e com algum terror à mistura.

Tudo começa quando a família do jovem Max se muda para uma pequena cidade à beira-mar, na tentativa de uma fuga de uma chamada para a Guerra que se avizinha. No entanto, outras guerras escondidas virã
Roberta Frontini (Blogue FLAMES)
É mais um 4,5 do que um 5.. mas é impressionante como este autor mexe comigo. sempre que leio Carlos Ruiz Zafon lembro-me como é importante ler bons autores!
Victoria Mars
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tiene bastante el espíritu de La sombra del viento. Las últimas páginas son para sufrir. En resumen, me encantó.
Norah Una Sumner
So good.

I really liked this book-it was mysterious,interesting,with great twists.I loved the characters,the story,and that ending...oh,man.

description

But seriously,I really enjoyed reading this,mainly because the story was very captivating,I just had to find out what will happen next and what is the truth about Orpheus and the Prince of Mist.Also,this book doesn't contain a love triangle or an irritating main/supporting character.

Overall,a really great book.

description
Un té con Ceres
Lectura juvenil de la mano de Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Libro corto y entretenido que merece la pena leer.
Maëlys
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
COUP DE COEUR INTERSIDÉRAL.
Alvaro Acevedo Barrios
Si no cuentan los días que estaba en exámenes, sería el libro que he leído más rápido en estos días. Sí, la universidad quita tiempo.

Carlos Ruiz Zafón, aunque es su primera obra si no me equivoco, es capaz de crear un escenario tan creíble para el lector. Toda la vida admiraré su prosa. Además, en este libro, introduce algo de suspenso que, evidentemente, está muy bien planteado.
Le iba a dar un puntaje de 3.5 porque sentí que los momentos del bote fueron más largos que los de suspenso. Sin embar
No sabía que esperar de este libro porque no sabía de lo que trataba ni había leído nunca nada de Ruiz Zafón. Ahora, después de acabarlo, puedo decir que me ha sorprendido mucho y para bien, y que pienso leer todos los libros de este autor.
A pesar de que es un libro corto, presenta muy bien a los personajes, a los que acabas cogiendo cariño (o todo lo contrario).
Está lleno de sorpresas y a pesar de no querer acabarlo no podía parar de leer.
Estoy deseando poder empezar la segunda parte para ver
Ana
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Não poderia ter corrido melhor a minha estreia com os livros de Carlos Ruiz Zafón.
O mundo fantástico da Zafón faz-nos mergulhar numa aura e ambiente de suspense e mistério, com apontamentos de terror à mistura.
Estou ansiosa para começar "O Palácio da Meia Noite" e continuar a leitura desta trilogia
Quique Castillo Aguilera
Fantástica trama y fantástico modo de mantener la tensión. He disfrutado mucho su lectura y lo he devorado en poco tiempo porque realmente me ha enganchado. Muy recomendable para un público juvenil.
Daniela
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: en-mi-biblioteca
Como siempre Ruiz Zafón no decepciona con su escritura, sus descripciones, su poesía, y yo me declaro una fanática.
La historia me cautivo de principio a fin. Una novela pseudojuvenil, fantástica, diferente y bien escrita.
Me dejó con sabor a poco el final, me faltó un giro de tuerca.
Es recomendada por supuesto, siempre vale la pena (no tan pena), Carlos Ruiz Zafón.
Wulfette Noire
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG! I love and can't out down Zafon's Shadow of the Wind, so I was excited when I finally found the English translation of his first published novel, Prince of Mist. Zafon's writing put me right into the character's soul, describing everything in such a way that I can almost feel and see what the characters are seeing and feeling.

The story starts out in a light note, though war was mentioned several time, the main character, Max, is a young teenager whose point of view is both innocent and posi
Got a question --- please answer 4 37 Jul 08, 2014 08:23AM
what did you think about the end? 9 100 May 15, 2014 11:32AM
LSPL Book Junkies: Can dreams come true? 1 3 Feb 12, 2014 12:55PM
LSPL Book Junkies: Quote of the day 1 7 Feb 04, 2014 09:41PM
LSPL Book Junkies: Author's website 1 5 Jan 22, 2014 11:45AM
  • Inverno de Sombras
  • As Incríveis Aventuras de Dog Mendonça e PizzaBoy
  • The Reinvention of Moxie Roosevelt
  • O Crepúsculo dos Elfos (A Trilogia dos Elfos, #1)
  • Picture the Dead
  • Dreams of the Dead (The Waking, #1)
  • Venganza en Sevilla (Martín Ojo de Plata, #2)
  • Folly
  • The Dead of Winter
  • The Year of Goodbyes
  • The Danger Box
  • The Poisoned House
  • The Kneebone Boy
  • Blueprint: Blaupause
  • O Espião Português
  • The Great Pyramid Robbery (The Seven Fabulous Wonders, #1)
  • Habitaciones cerradas
  • La llamada de los muertos (Crónicas De La Torre, #3)
Carlos Ruiz Zafón is a Spanish novelist. Born in Barcelona in 1964, he has lived in Los Ángeles, United States, since 1994, and works as a scriptwriter aside from writing novels.

His first novel, El príncipe de la niebla (The Prince of Mist, 1993), earned the Edebé literary prize for young adult fiction. He is also the author of three more young-adult novels, El palacio de la medianoche (1994), Las

Niebla (3 books)
  • The Midnight Palace (Niebla, #2)
  • The Watcher in the Shadows (Niebla, #3)
“Age makes you notice certain things. For example, I now know that a man’s life is broadly divided into three periods. During the first, it doesn’t even occur to us that one day we will grow old, we don’t think that time passes or that from the day we are born we’re all walking toward a common end. After the first years of youth comes the second period, in which a person becomes aware of the fragility of life and what begins like a simple niggling doubt rises inside you like a flood of uncertainties that will stay with you for the rest of your days. Finally, toward the end of life, the period of acceptance begins, and, consequently, of resignation, a time of waiting.” 44 likes
“Whenever it poured like this, Max felt as if time was pausing. It was like a cease-fire during which you could stop whatever you were doing and just stand by a window for hours, watching the performance, an endless curtain of tears falling from heaven.” 25 likes