Start by marking “The Prince of Mist (Niebla, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Prince of Mist (Niebla, #1)

The Prince of Mist

(Niebla #1)

3.70  ·  Rating details ·  29,434 ratings  ·  2,549 reviews
A mysterious house harbors an unimaginable secret. . . .

It’s wartime, and the Carver family decides to leave the capital where they live and move to a small coastal village where they’ve recently bought a home. But from the minute they cross the threshold, strange things begin to happen. In that mysterious house there still lurks the spirit of Jacob, the previous owners’
Published May 4th 2010 by Little, Brown Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Prince of Mist, please sign up.
Pedro Espinosa Esparza Ese libro fue el primero que escribió y fue para un concurso juvenil. Los demás libros ya son narrativa para adultos, es por eso que la sombra del…moreEse libro fue el primero que escribió y fue para un concurso juvenil. Los demás libros ya son narrativa para adultos, es por eso que la sombra del viento es incomparable con este. Sin embargo si quieres conocer el trabajo de Zafón es imprescindible. (less)

·  29,434 ratings  ·  2,549 reviews

Start your review of The Prince of Mist (Niebla, #1)
Rick Riordan
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
A big change of pace from my nonfiction reading about World War II, The Prince of Mist is a middle grade novel by acclaimed Spanish writer Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I'd read Zafon's The Name of the Wind, a brilliant adult novel blending Gothic horror and magic realism, but I wasn't aware that Zafon actually began his career writing middle grade fantasies. The Prince of Mist was his first book, and it did not disappoint.

The war in Europe plays only a background role in the book, much as it does in The
TL
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Original read: June 2012
Re-read: January 2016

Third Read: July/August 2018

High praises to the narrator Jonathan Davis.. he did a wonderful job with the narration, specially with Kane.

The sound effects add a creepy factor to the story at times.. one part for me especially had me looking over my shoulder to make sure Kane wasn't behind me! (Even on third read)

Would love to see more of Kane again one day *crosses fingers*

The interview at the audiobook's end was a plus as well:).
----
Some samples of
Jim Fonseca
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: spanish-authors
Who would have thought that Zafon, best known for The Shadow of the Wind and The Angel’s Game, started his writing life as a young adult author? Now that he has achieved fame his publisher is bring these back in English translation, some of which won YA awards in Spain. I picked it up without knowing it was a YA book.

The story is a spooky mystery based around the main character, a pre-teen boy, his older sister and the boy’s older friend. It is set in a coastal village in Spain just before WW
Helene Jeppesen
This novel was originally written for people at all ages, but it was published as a YA novel. It is the first book ever written by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, and it is a ghost story! All of the above-mentioned reason made me curious to read it and see if it would scare me as much as I was hoping for.
Having now read it, I have to admit that while it was a good enough story, it was also quite predictable, and it didn't scare me at all. I'm not even sure that it would've scared me when I was younger, just
Raina
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow, I am NEVER. EVER. going to watch Paranormal Activity.

Several scenes early in this book were SO SCARY that I had to put the book down to read something lighter to de-creep myself before I could fall asleep*. So, at least until I start living with other people again, I'm not allowed to read/watch anything scarier than this. :)

So yeah, it's creepy. As soon as the creepiness is explained, I was fine, so it really was just a few early scenes, but I'm an anticipation person and the unknown
Samantha
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was my first Ruiz book and it was fantastic! I recommend the audio book, it was very well done and even features music from Ruìz's own compositions. It almost had an Alfred Hitchcock feel to it. Just really good!
Jo
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, for-review
3.5 stars.

“In an infinite universe, there were too many things that escaped human understanding.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Um… so no one thought to ring the police or tell any grown-ups what just happened? We’re just going to look back on it as if it was just a crazy summer mad-cap adventure? Um…

High Points.
Max. I’ve been acquainted with a lot of Maxs recently and I have to say… it’s a good name. Beach houses. Roland. Alicia. Cats in wardrobes. Genuinely creepy. Beautiful writing, seriously
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
This is the first book I've EVER read in Spanish and I didn't struggle with it (after having studied it for roughly 6 months) so I don't really know what that says about the writing, lol. Seriously though, I'm feeling oddly vindicated that conversely, reading novels in German still gives me headaches when I've started learning it at 12 but... My native language is French and I studied Latin, so that helps a lot when Spanish is concerned, I guess.

This said, even though it's shelved as YA on
Blair
The latest of Carlos Ruiz Zafón's works to be translated into English is also the first book the author had published. It was originally intended for teenagers, but this edition is clearly being marketed towards the author's adult fans; it has the same cover design as his adult titles, and a preface explains that it is designed to be enjoyed by readers of any age. I didn't go into this with high expectations, and I expected it to be kind of immature, but I still found it very disappointing.

The
Mish
I stumbled upon this book at my daughter’s school library thinking that it might be fun to read a magical, adventure story.

Yes there was magic and adventure, but it also had one of the scariest and horrific sounding ghost that truly frighten me. I felt sensations that I hadn’t felt in years. Reading this sent shivers up my spine, put goose pimples on my arms, and it had me screeching like a little girl.

The book starts at a nice steady pace when Max Carver’s father decides to move his wife and
Jaanaki
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Book 21 of 2018 : "The Prince of Mist " by Carlos Ruiz Zafron.
This has been sitting on my shelf for a very long time .It was bought during a period when I was overwhelmed with "The Shadow of the Wind" and wanted to read all of Zafron's work.
This is his debut novel and the writing shows that ,but it is still a good read for middle grade and it is not a surprise that it was initially published as a YA novel.
The story is horror based and reminded me of IT .We have a group of kids trying to kill an
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Nice little story, although I wonder if it has enough excitement to satisfy young'uns raised on the Harry Potter series. This was Ruiz-Zafon's first novel, originally published in 1992, so don't expect the depth and genius of The Shadow of the Wind. Still, there are a lot of elements I think will appeal to kids: the weird cat, the sunken ship, the old film reels, the clown (somewhat reminiscent of Stephen King's Pennywise).

The first half of the book is fairly ordinary. I kept wondering when it
Kat Heckenbach
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
First of all, this book is labeled YA but it reads like a middle grade book. Other than one scene in which the main character spies on his sister and sees her making out with a boy, the whole book is written for a younger audience than YA. And btw, I'd probably call it 2.5 stars.

And yes, as some of the negative reviews say, this book is full of plot holes. Big ones. Things that should have been explained, but never are--like how the statue garden came into existence. It drove me NUTS that I
Kells Next Read
This was creepy and scary but wonderful. My only regret was that I statrted reading it in the night. ( had to sleep with the light on ; ))

Moving unto The Midnight Palace by Mr Zafon I'm hoping to finish most of his works by the first week in April.

Actual ratings: 3.75
Kat
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Carlos Ruiz Zafon never disappoints me when I'm looking for a good story!!!
Muhammad Ahmed Siddiqui
If only I haven't read THE SHADOW OF THE WIND in the first place

Yes people exactly this is the main issue with me whenever I pick up a Zafon novel. Most of the time this thing happens in the reverse. Like if you have read an author for the first time and you hated the book then I bet you will ever give the author any chance soon for your readership of his/her next book. But not here. I adore THE SHADOW OF THE WIND so much that I expect the same perfection from every book of Zafon which is
Norah Una Sumner
So good.

I really liked this book-it was mysterious,interesting,with great twists.I loved the characters,the story,and that ending...oh,man.

description

But seriously,I really enjoyed reading this,mainly because the story was very captivating,I just had to find out what will happen next and what is the truth about Orpheus and the Prince of Mist.Also,this book doesn't contain a love triangle or an irritating main/supporting character.

Overall,a really great book.

description
Amy
Crime fiction, eerie, spooky and Spain. Cross posted to general feed, PBT Horizons, and PBT Fall Flurries.

Carlos Ruiz Zafon, who is known as the spectacular author of the Shadow of the Wind Series, and Marina, is my author of the year. The Prince of Mist is one of four other titles he has penned, and it appears that like Marina, they may all in fact be Young Adult books. This one, that was just over 200 pages, happens to fit the October bill for numerous challenges all at once, not to mention my
Wulfette Noire
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG! I love and can't out down Zafon's Shadow of the Wind, so I was excited when I finally found the English translation of his first published novel, Prince of Mist. Zafon's writing put me right into the character's soul, describing everything in such a way that I can almost feel and see what the characters are seeing and feeling.

The story starts out in a light note, though war was mentioned several time, the main character, Max, is a young teenager whose point of view is both innocent and
Eldarwen
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't pay much attention to genre tags or even the synopsis before I picked up this book, so the story came as quite a surprise to me!

Well-written with an interesting storyline that keeps you wondering for a great deal of the book.

Max didn't strike me as the typical 13-year old, in a positive way, and I enjoyed seeing him develop and grow up a little. His older sister Alicia is still pretty much a mystery and I would have enjoyed getting to know more about her background, but since the book
Mariana
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's beautiful, it's simply beautiful. I feel like I want to cry, but I know I won't. However I feel like this book stole a little piece of me. I think it's impossible to not like/love Zafón's books. His writing is just wonderful, perfect and magic. He truly loves writing and we can see that in his books. Mr. Zafón thank you so much for writing so wonderfully and making these fantastic stories.
Michael
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michael by: Mish
I loved Carlos Ruiz Zafón’s book The Shadow of the Wind, so I was eager to try some more of his works. I knew this was one of his Young Adult books so I didn’t expect the same level as excitement from this book, but I probably did expect a lot more. While The Prince of Mist is full of adventure, magic and gothic themes, I kind of felt like there was a lot missing from the story and maybe it was rushed a little too much. I understand the idea of having short books for the Young Adults but this ...more
Ben Babcock
I saw this on a library shelf and fell prey to their assertion that, having read The Shadow of the Wind , I should read this too. Blair’s review is spot-on when she says “the story begins promisingly” but then “the book soon begins to get quite silly and more and more plot holes and unanswered questions pop up”. The Prince of Mist suffers from being, ultimately, a story without a heart. Carlos Ruiz Zafón tries to create characters for the reader to care about, but the central conflict and ...more
Rain Misoa
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adventure seekers and people who don't mind bullshit romances.
Recommended to Rain by: Library
Another read I was pleased with. I stumbled up this book at the library and I recognized the author's name. So, I took it home. I didn't even realize it was Carlos Ruiz Zafón's first book. That was a pleasant surprise because it doesn't feel like it's his first novel. The book is written so well; written as if it's by a veteran writer. It's short but it's filled with action and suspense. You'll want to keep reading until you unravel the mystery of what's happening in this village by the beach. ...more
Caden R. 8B
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was very good. The characters were very detailed, and had good develoupment. The only thing not-so-good was how some parts in the book were confusing.
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Carlos Ruiz Zafon is an author that is well known for The Shadow of the Wind. A book I have been shying away from for years because I am afraid I might not like it. And as such I have not read anything by this author. But when I found The Prince of Mist I decided I could certainly give it a try first. With not even 200 pages it is a short read. And while this is considered more for children, it is a great introduction to his writing for adults as well.

The start to this book is somewhat slow,
Stephanie Jane (Literary Flits)
See more of my book reviews on my blog, Literary Flits

This young adult horror story was Zafon's first published novel and it reads like a classic adventure tale similar to those I remember from my early teens. The unidentified setting was originally intended to be southern England. Its descriptions are detailed enough for me to be easily able to envisage the immediate surroundings of the village and coastline, while remaining vague enough on the regional location that the book could be imagined
Miquel Reina
Although this isn't a novel as famous as the Shadow of the Wind, The Prince of Mist was the book that allowed me to discover Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I still remember reading it one summer when I was 12; that story strucks me very deeply. The mixture of mystery and terror of the book is ideal for a young reader (or not so young) who wants to enter the dark world of mystery and terror novels.

Spanish version:
Aunque ésta no sea una novela tan conocida como la Sombra del Viento, El príncipe de la niebla
Read by Jonathan Davis
Length 6.0 hrs • UNABRIDGED

Being a big fan of Zafon's books, I didn't hesitate when I found The Prince of Mist.

Even if it's a ghost story, with some supernatural hints, it's a YA novel, a genre I don't appreciate that much nowadays. I wasn't aware of this fact before I started to listen to this audiobook.

In this way, I'll leave the series "Mist" (this first book is more than enough) and I will keep track of the trilogy The Cemetery of Forgotten Books.
Sana
This book was painfully boring with boring characters and an absolutely pointless plot.
AVOID!
Play Book Tag: [Horizon] The Prince of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafon 2 10 Nov 22, 2019 09:23PM
Play Book Tag: The Prince of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafon 5 21 Oct 02, 2019 01:20PM
Got a question --- please answer 4 38 Jul 08, 2014 08:23AM
what did you think about the end? 9 102 May 15, 2014 11:32AM
LSPL Book Junkies: Can dreams come true? 1 3 Feb 12, 2014 12:55PM
LSPL Book Junkies: Quote of the day 1 8 Feb 04, 2014 09:41PM
LSPL Book Junkies: Author's website 1 6 Jan 22, 2014 11:45AM

• The Valley of the Wolves (Crónicas de la Torre, #1)
  • Las lágrimas de Shiva
  • Pupila de águila
  • Finis Mundi
  • Panteón (Memorias de Idhún, #3)
  • Tríada (Memorias de Idhún, #2)
  • La hija de la noche
  • El día que se perdió la cordura
  • La resistencia (Memorias de Idhún, #1)
  • Tristes armas
  • Crónicas de la Torre
  • El bestiario de Axlin
  • La llamada de los muertos (Crónicas De La Torre, #3)
  • La Emperatriz de los Etéreos
  • Donde los árboles cantan
  • El Cementerio De Los Ingleses
  • El secreto de Xein (Guardianes de la Ciudadela #2)
  • La caída de la casa Usher
Carlos Ruiz Zafón is a Spanish novelist. Born in Barcelona in 1964, he has lived in Los Ángeles, United States, since 1994, and works as a scriptwriter aside from writing novels.

His first novel, El príncipe de la niebla (The Prince of Mist, 1993), earned the Edebé literary prize for young adult fiction. He is also the author of three more young-adult novels, El palacio de la medianoche (1994), Las

Niebla (3 books)
  • The Midnight Palace (Niebla, #2)
  • The Watcher in the Shadows (Niebla, #3)
“Age makes you notice certain things. For example, I now know that a man’s life is broadly divided into three periods. During the first, it doesn’t even occur to us that one day we will grow old, we don’t think that time passes or that from the day we are born we’re all walking toward a common end. After the first years of youth comes the second period, in which a person becomes aware of the fragility of life and what begins like a simple niggling doubt rises inside you like a flood of uncertainties that will stay with you for the rest of your days. Finally, toward the end of life, the period of acceptance begins, and, consequently, of resignation, a time of waiting.” 46 likes
“Whenever it poured like this, Max felt as if time was pausing. It was like a cease-fire during which you could stop whatever you were doing and just stand by a window for hours, watching the performance, an endless curtain of tears falling from heaven.” 26 likes