Start by marking “The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)

The Door Within

(The Door Within #1)

There is an unseen world of good and evil where nightmares are fought and hope is reborn. Enter The Door Within.

Aidan Thomas is miserable. Within two weeks, Aidan’s life is completely uprooted as his parents move the family across the country to care for his ailing grandfather. The quiet but imaginative Aidan is struggling with attending a new school and fitting in with a
Published May 6th 2007 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published April 8th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Door Within, please sign up.
Hannah Cunningham This book is amazing no matter what age you are!! My siblings and I (all several years apart) read this series and LOVED it! So much so, that we then…moreThis book is amazing no matter what age you are!! My siblings and I (all several years apart) read this series and LOVED it! So much so, that we then read the stories aloud to our mom. This book never fails to touch my heart! Give it a try! :-)(less)

Wayne
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi, Door Within Readers!

Wayne Thomas Batson here. I wanted to thank all of you who put Isle of Fire on your ToBeRead list. I'm honored to be worth your time.

Isle of Fire will release the first week of September. It is available for preorder on Amazon as well. In fact, if you preorder it on Amazon and email me to tell me you have ordered it, I'll send you a signed and personalized bookplate sticker for your new book.

email me at: batguy21784@yahoo.com

Here's the official Isle of Fire blurb:

"A great
Hannah
Nov 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Okay. No offense to the author, but this book was not as good as it could have been. I love Christian fiction as a rule, but this was...well, it wasn't Tolkien-Lewis standard. The symbolism was a little heavy. No, that was a lie. It was akin to being thwacked over the head with a hard-cover Bible. In my mind, there are two pieces of advice that every allegory writer must have:
A) Plot (and writing!) that's good quality separate from the Biblical references. Case in point: The Chronicles of Narnia
C.B. Cook
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, fantasy
Well. Wow. I thought I would like this book, but I didn't expect to enjoy it that much! Sure, it doesn't beat books like Lord of the Rings or The Chronicles of Narnia, but it was really enjoyable! If I had to describe this book as if it were a person, I would say it was perky, fun, and intriguing.

The Good
There were soooo many unique ideas in this story! Fantasy books can have a lot of clichés, and of course this one has some, but there are plenty of unique ideas that help offset that. Moonrascal
Jill Williamson
Dec 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Upset with his family’s sudden move across the country, Aidan Thomas is friendless and bored. He seeks out adventure by exploring his new home which takes him to the dark and creepy basement. He finds dusty boxes of old toys, stacks of newspapers from the 1950s, and an old radio. It all seems to be a typical basement until a blue light grows out of the darkness leaving three clay pots in its wake. Inside them, Aidan finds three ancient scrolls.

He takes his newfound treasure to his room and begin
Molly Evangeline
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
When I first found out about The Door Within Trilogy while I was working at the local bookstore a couple years ago, I have to admit, it didn't grab my attention. For some odd reason, which I can't even recall now, I thought it might be a little too juvenile for me. Boy, I don't think I'll ever judge a book so quickly again. Being the Christian fantasy fan that I am, I finally got the books from the library and from page one I was completely hooked. The entire trilogy had me reading almost non-st ...more
Ron
Apr 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Derived. "Revenge of the Nerds" meets "The Hobbit."

A good if hardly original concept, but Batson should have worked harder (though he claims it took him thirteen years) making it his own work. Reads like a dashed off ripoff of Christian classic fantasy with too much Narnia, Middle Earth overlap.

Reminds you why J. R. R. Tolkien hated allegory. Speaking of whom, Tolkien would be angered (as he was with C. S. Lewis) at the way Batson misused mythology. Specifically, the insertion of unicorns as hor
Adam Ross
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I wanted to like this book. I did. Unfortunately, I thought it continued to illustrate the problems with the Christian fiction publishing industry. It was not so much the story I had a problem with, but the prose was less than stellar, and the character development wasn't up to snuff. Repeatedly I found myself puzzled by character decisions that seemed to make no sense. I didn't get the wonder I was obviously supposed to get by having a boy stumble into a magical world. Nothing actually happens ...more
Ashley Bogner
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Several years ago, a friend recommended The Door Within to me. I decided to pick it up at the library, and was smart enough to get the consecutive books as well. From the first chapter, I was hooked. I read the entire trilogy in a few days and couldn’t put the series down. Since then, I’ve read several of Wayne Thomas Batson’s other books and loved them.

In The Door Within , teenager Aidan Thomas is frustrated with his parent’s decision to move the family halfway across the country. He misses
Jon
Oct 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: middle-school aged children
Recommended to Jon by: Kait K
This was a good fantasy action adventure young adult novel. Some of the situations stretched believability just a bit, but I put that down to the intended audience's attention span and naivety. The story is a Christian allegory, done very well. It's almost as good as The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander.
Abby Cashen
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Think book contained too many cliches to keep me interested.

(Read full review here.)

(Contains content advisory.)
Jacob
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
I don't exactly remember adding this to my to-read list a couple of years ago, but it wasn't the hidden gem I thought it might turn out as. The writing is stilted and overwrought and the story is kind of clumsy. I know this is targeted towards youth but other series like The Ruins of Gorlan or books like The Neverending Story are targeted the same way and better written. I don't know why it is this way; the edition I read included "lost chapters" at the end, which were a set of longer original b ...more
Whisper
Nov 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book is great. Enough battles and peril to satisfy the adventure-lover, enough secrets to satisfy the mystery-lover, and enough coolness to satisfy the... well, cool-lover!

All around great. Granted, some might see it as "just another fantasy book", but it most certainly has characteristics that distinguish it from others in its genre.

For instance, there is an unlikely connection between Earth and The Realm... but I won't spoil that for you. :-D Also, there is a good dose of Biblical al
Julee
Jan 26, 2010 rated it did not like it
I really had high hopes for this book. I kept seeing this book at the library and finally decided to check it out. It is the first of a trilogy. Well, I have to say I was very disappointed in it. It just was very slow to me. Not much going on. I had a hard time connecting with the characters and I thought it had too much back story and not enough of the story in the present. I wanted it to get on with it. Also the main character is suppose to be a teenager, but as I read it, it is hard to invisi ...more
Lara
Jan 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
A lot of folks seem to really like this, but I...really don't. It's pretty predictable, nothing's very well developed (including the main character, which is a big no-no in my view), the Christian imagery is so overt as to be distracting, the writing feels dumbed down, and...well, I guess that's it. In the end I found I just didn't care. I will certainly not be reading the rest of the books in this series.
Karissa
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
I got this book quite a while ago when I was looking for some good middle grade fantasy adventure to read and saw the very high reviews for this trilogy. This was not a book for me. For those who aren’t aware (as I was not) Batson is a Christian author who publishes books with strong Christian themes to them. In general I don’t have issue with that but this book was incredibly poorly written and written at a very basic reading level (short sentences and simple words). It’s like it was written fo ...more
Alex Beard
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The book “The Door Within” was an outstanding book. The book starts off with a teenage boy named Aiden Thomas who is the short, plump, and unpopular. Everything changes for Aidan when his grandpa becomes sick because his family has to move to Colorado to take care of him. Aidan is miserable because he misses his friends, is lonely, and bored trying to find something to do. He decides to explore his grandpa's basement. He finds three old scrolls that tell a story of two kingdoms, Alleble and Para ...more
Michelle
The Door Within is pretty typical Christian Fantasy, though well-written and with some original ideas. Boy finds link to fantasy world and goes through and saves the day--temporarily, this being part of a series. New is the idea that this world is a sort of alternate universe, with everyone having an albino duplicate.
This book falls prey to two chestnuts of Christian writing: overly large and shallow cast, and the roles of good and evil.
The expected Christ figure is decent, though typical. A
Shantelle
It’s utterly fascinating how every fantasy series I read is so completely different from the next. There are so many varied takes on Christian allegories/fantasies, I don’t think I’ll ever tire of this genre!

The Door Within was even better than I imagined! –A fantastic tale! My mind is whirling with the in-depth storyline, and the new concepts introduced in this fantasy. I totally fell in love with Aiden’s story, and the Glimpses, and the whole adventure! I must admit though, the serpent-lik
Nena
Apr 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
Poorly written, not believeable, and only somewhat interesting half the time (in the "non-reality" world). I guess this was written for children to young adult, and I might have liked it when I was six or seven but it's way too young for me now. I gave it a fair chance but there's no need for me to finish reading this.
Kim
Oct 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
Didn't care for it. Didn't finish it. Started out good with a nice fantasy storyline, but really got to much into christian themes. They were so obvious that it made the story kind of 'hoaky'. Kids may not pick up on it, I however did.
Trevor
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have ever read! It started off a tiny bit slow but developed into a great story about another world. I recommend this to everybody.
Ellen
Jun 23, 2017 added it
Do not care for this book... I am a Catholic and in school we had to relate this book to our faith. Think of it as an allegory... Replace characters in the book with people in the Bible... I love my faith, but I did not like how we thought of it as an allegory and related to my faith. I think I wouldv'e liked it better if I had read not thinking of it as an allegory...

But a bunch of my class liked it... about 19 people hated it and 19 people loved it!
Ferson (Jefferson)
Soo good!!!!! I still can not get over how good this was! So well written, such an amazing story plot!! The characters were fantastic!! Though it made me cry a little it was still so good!!
Highly recommended!!
Caroline Rutledge
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! Some names I couldn't pronounce, however there are no worries, I read in my head. I love how the whole book goes around God. As does The Chronicles of Narnia. Really, I can't wait to read the other books!
MC
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, wishlist
Oh my goodness! I loved this book!! It was so good, and the ending was very nice, but also a bit sad with what happened to his Grampin and Captain Valithor. I mean...WHY??
Gabriellyn
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not as good as Dreamtreaders but really good still!
Stephanie Hickman
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Really 2.5. I am giving this rating while I am not in a good place emotionally. I can possibly update this at a later date, if I feel I made a bad judgement call.
Gillian Bronte Adams
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
This was one of the first “modern” fantasy books I ever read, so naturally, it has a special place in my heart. I grew up on the Lord of the Rings and Narnia, but I didn’t discover the wonderful world of newer fantasy out there until a friend gave me The Door Within as a birthday present several years ago.

And I was hooked.

The story: It’s been two weeks since they moved to Colorado to look after Grampin, and Aidan Thomas just wants to go back to Maryland. He left his best friend behind, and he’s
TaeKwonDogirl
Dec 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson is the exciting beginning of a fantasy-filled trilogy. Mystery, intrigue, and adventure fill the pages of this very good book. Meet Aidan Thomas, your regular teen guy. Not too popular, and if he ever was it was due to the fact that he was best friends with one of the coolest guys on the block, Robby. However, everything changes. Aidan and his family must move from everything Aidan knows to care for Aidan's ill grandfather.

There, Aidan discovers mysterious
Bill Tillman
Having moved away from his best friend Robby Pearson, to a different state so that his parents could take care of his grandfather Grandpin, Aidan Thomas is seriously angry. In a venture down to his house's basement, Aidan comes across historical documents that seem almost too real to be fantasy. Though both his parents dismiss them as just stories, a fairy tale, Aidan chooses to believe that are indeed true- a belief that allows him to go through The Door Within and into a different world, thank ...more
The Door Within Club: Create A Character 4 8 Oct 04, 2017 01:16PM
Du Gata Vrangr: The Door Within 3 7 Sep 05, 2016 12:38AM
The Door Within Club: Short Stories 1 6 Oct 20, 2013 04:17PM
The Door Within Club: Talking About the Trilogy 1 7 Oct 20, 2013 04:05PM

• Enoch's Ghost (Oracles of Fire, #2)
  • All My Holy Mountain (Binding of the Blade, #5)
  • The Bark of the Bog Owl (The Wilderking Trilogy, #1)
  • Sir Bentley and Holbrook Court (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #2)
  • Return to Alastair (Tahn Dorn #2)

The Door Within (3 books)
  • The Rise of the Wyrm Lord (The Door Within, #2)
  • The Final Storm (The Door Within, #3)
“Never Alone!” 68 likes
“There are passages and doors
And Realms that lie unseen.
There are Roads both wide and narrow
And no avenue between.
Doors Remain closed for those
Who in sad vanity yet hide.
Yet when Belief is chosen,
The key appears inside.
What is lived now will soon pass,
And what is not will come to Be.
The Door Within must open,