Start by marking “The Sun My Heart” as Want to Read:
The Sun My Heart

The Sun My Heart

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  408 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
The Sun My Heart is one of Thich Nhat Hanh’s most beloved books. Using the objects and events of everyday life in his hermitage in Plum Village — the gradual settling of the pulp in a glass of apple juice or the wind blowing into the room and scattering papers about — Thich Nhat Hanh draws from Buddhist psychology, epistemology, and the world of contemporary literature and ...more
Published February 2nd 2010 by Parallax Press (first published May 11th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Sun My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sun My Heart

Hoại Băng
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quyển này phức tạp và vĩ mô nhất trong số những quyển của Thầy mà mình từng đọc.

- Này, em là ai?
- Em là em và em cũng là tổ hợp tất cả những gì không phải là em.
Nguyễn Thuỳ Linh
Một cuốn sách nữa của thầy. Kết thúc vào ngày thầy trở lại Việt Nam 28/8/2017.
Một cuốn sách rất hay và khó. Một cuốn sách hữu ích.
Sẽ đọc lại nhiều lần nữa.
Lắng lại như một cốc nước táo.
Matthew Cossey
Reading anything from Thich Nhat Hanh is usually always a pleasure. The Sun My Heart does not disappoint, though it's not my favorite book from the well-known Buddhist Monk. I enjoyed the advice he share's on meditation and information on the mind, but I didn't enjoy the long drawn out chapter on the interdependence of everything in the universe. It was a drag! I would recommend reading 'Peace is Every Step' instead of 'The Sun My Heart', unless of course you are a die-hard Thich Nhat Hanh fan!
Brianne
Probably 3.5 stars

I liked this book well enough, but at times it felt repetitive. I'm glad it was assigned for school, but I wish I could have read it section by section to really take it in.

It's interesting and thought provoking, so I'd recommend it.
Trung Thieu
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kiến thức của sư ông quá rộng lớn, bao gồm sự liên hệ với khoa học - cụ thể la vật lý lượng tử, vật lý lý thuyết, ...
Chưa đủ trình để hiểu phần 4.
Maureen
Aug 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: buddhism
I wish I still owned a copy of this book so that I could quote from it here. In addition to being a great spiritual teacher, Thich Nhat Hanh is a fine writer. When ever I read his work, I can hear the soft inflections of his voice in my head.

Particularly after viewing the opening of the Olympic games, where China sought to persuade the world of their sincere interest in peace and harmony by displaying giant neon-colored ideograms, Thich Nhat Hanh is a refreshing alternative. Like the Dali Lama,
Ton Nu Thuy Duong
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trước đây thì mình không nghĩ sẽ hạp loại sách này do mình từng đọc Siddartha và một vài phần sách của Nguyễn Tường Bách và cảm thấy không có duyên. Sau rồi do Băng hay recommend sách của Thích Nhất Hạnh nên mình tò mò muốn đọc thử.
Sách hay. Mình rất bất ngờ vì tính thực dụng, gần gũi nhưng vẫn giữ được bản chất của tư tưởng.
Katja
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It started and ended in such a friendly casual way that the dharma sandwich in the middle seemed a bit intense and concentrated - I personally would have liked it to be spread out a little.
Tamar
Nov 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful writing and ways of expressing rather complex ideas about Buddhism.
Zois
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beautiful, helpful books I have read and I am not doing it justice with this hurried, short review. This book is aimed more at people who have at least some experience with meditation or mindfulness practice. Thich Nhat Hanh talks about the nature of reality as something that is constantly changing, everything in it affecting everything around it. We interact with this reality and create our own version of it interpreted by our senses, concepts and ideas, but by doing this we als ...more
Kristine
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Soothing. Peaceful. Gave me pause...enriched my meditation practice.
Jasmine
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now I understand the meaning of the title.
Carol
This is my favorite Thich Nhat Hanh book. It is a wonderful, simple collection of observations and meditations on life. My second reading was even more illuminating than the first.
Iona  Stewart
I was somewhat disappointed in this book, since I was expecting something along the lines of previous little books by this author on mindfulness. This book proved different, though of course the subjects of mindfulness, breathing exercises and so on do come up. I suppose one could say that the topic of this book is the same as that of the others, this book just goes deeper (infinitely deeper).

This book shows a highly intellectual, philosophical side of the author: He teaches us that mind and obj
Kireja
I really enjoy reading books on spirituality, meditation and mindfulness. What I really liked about this book is that Thich Nhat Hanh reassures us that meditation should not be about forcing ourselves to sit still without thinking any thoughts. Instead Thich Nhat Hanh advises us to "never force your body or your mind. Be kind to yourself. Live your daily life simply, with awareness". Therefore in meditation we should go like a river, where we are: A.) aware and in the present moment B.)our breat ...more
San San
có lẽ ta đã tìm thấy ngọn đèn soi sáng cho tâm hồn của chính ta.
Ngồi trên sườn đồi dưới rặng thông, trong không khí u tĩnh của thiền viện.
ta đọc, ta chiêm nghiệm, chẳng biết bao giờ ta mới thấu hiểu hết con người ta, ta chỉ biết chính tại giờ phút này, chính tại không gian này, tâm ta thật thanh thản.
Ngồi giữa thiên nhiên, vẳng nghe tiếng giảng kinh của Thầy, mùi hương trầm vương trên chóp mũi. Ta biết, ta chưa thoát khỏi sáu căn... nhưng có sao? ta vẫn ở đây, tâm an lạc. Vậy là đủ.
p/s: hai tuần
Iva Pokorny
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I too hear his soft voice as I read his books now. And I feel his peace and humor ..I love his humor .. As he does his Walking Meditation. The Sun My heart My Heart The Sun Interdependness. That's what it is all about. I wouldn't be here right now, if all the circumstances in the Universe weren't just right for my existence. Think about that deeply, says Thich (teacher) Nhat Hanh. He invites you to think deeply ...
Vicki
Dec 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
This is not one of the best of Thay's books, and I would not recommend starting with it. The first and last sections are quite lovely and helpful, especially his discussion of the importance of finding peace in the difficult moments and not waiting for everything to be calm and peaceful externally. But the middle section deals with quantum physics and the connections with Buddhist principles; fascinating, but more intellectualized.
dirt
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Nhat Hanh uses some beautiful imagery to convey how we are all connected, each atom of every thing is essential to life in this universe. If even one thing were out of place, it would not be.

I do get a little lost when he starts talking shop about Sutras, though in the preface he clearly states this book doesn't need to be read in order and what you may not get one day will become enlightening another.
Elisabeth M
Nov 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elisabeth by: The bookstore aisle.
This author reaches me like no other.

In particular, this book made me feel like a student in the tutelage of a good master. I felt as though Thich Nhat Hanh was always offering me something just beyond my range, pushing my understanding just a little further, thus leading me from one step to the next.

Mostly, though, he's a beautiful man, and he makes me see the beauty of the world in a way that transforms me.

Lee Evans
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
A majestic way of looking at the world. Almost every other paragraph is full of something that will change your perspective on life. Thay's down-to-earth style and gentle way or writing is a sharp contrast to religious dogmatists of our day. He wants you to examine yourself and connect with the universe, not for your own glory or to make himself feel better, but because it just... makes... sense.

I'm going to be rereading this book frequently.
MizzSandie
This little book was a nice little reminder of how to live life more mindfully.

Somewhere in the middle it got a little heavy on the Buddhist wordings and theories, referenced to without any further explanations, and since I'm not so well versed in it myself, i got a little disconnected.

But overall it was fine, especially the beginning and ending of it.
Molly
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book precisely because it combines spiritualism and science. My mother had died right before I read it and the strength and guidance provided throughout unfolded the beauty of the earth to me again. I have read several of his books now, and this remains my favorite for its practical advice and interweaving of scientific observation with compassion for all life on earth, and beyond.
Geeb Youssef
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really liked it. It tells a story of a different way of looking at life while trying to relate it to physics. If you ever wonder why a locked up prisoner is able to smile, or how were all related in energy. The ideas of living through another. its crazy mind flipping book that brings impeccable philosophical ways of thinking more towards peace and happiness.
Serena Long ﺕ
Reading anything from Thich Nhat Hanh is usually always a pleasure. Thich Nhat Hanh is a fine writer. Whenever I read his book, I can hear the soft inflections of his voice in my head. Thank you so much Thay.
Athena
Jul 05, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's about meditation and Buddhist teachings. I have read this one many times over.
Jeff
May 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Religion and your spirit is to personal and I would say this is a light in the dark.
Patrick
a bit denser than some of his other works but still a calming endeavor. any time spent with Thich Nhat Hanh is always time well spent.
Joseph Rumble
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thich Nhat Hanh gives a generous helping of life experiences to coralate with zen teaching. So many times I went ahh now I see.. especially wonderful is the description of
Mckinley
Jan 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, buddhism
A follow up to Miracle of Mindfulness. Meaty. Lots to complemplate in a very gentle way.
  • Zen and the Birds of Appetite
  • The Jewel Tree of Tibet: The Enlightenment Engine of Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace
  • Insight Meditation: A Psychology of Freedom
  • Branching Streams Flow in the Darkness: Zen Talks on the Sandokai
  • Faith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experience
  • A Gradual Awakening
  • Awakening Loving-Kindness
  • The Barn at the End of the World: The Apprenticeship of a Quaker, Buddhist Shepherd
  • Nothing Special
  • Ideas and Integrities: A Spontaneous Autobiographical Disclosure
  • The Myth of Freedom and the Way of Meditation
  • The Essence of the Heart Sutra: The Dalai Lama's Heart of Wisdom Teachings
  • Work as a Spiritual Practice: A Practical Buddhist Approach to Inner Growth and Satisfaction on the Job
  • Eclipse of God
  • The Heart of Buddhist Meditation: The Buddha's Way of Mindfulness
  • Returning to Silence
  • Mind Whispering: A New Map to Freedom from Self-Defeating Emotional Habits
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...