Start by marking “The Sun My Heart” as Want to Read:
The Sun My Heart

The Sun My Heart

The Sun My Heart is one of Thich Nhat Hanh’s most beloved books. Using the objects and events of everyday life in his hermitage in Plum Village — the gradual settling of the pulp in a glass of apple juice or the wind blowing into the room and scattering papers about — Thich Nhat Hanh draws from Buddhist psychology, epistemology, and the world of contemporary literature and scie ...more
Published February 2nd 2010 by Parallax Press (first published May 11th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Sun My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sun My Heart

Start your review of The Sun My Heart
Brianne
Probably 3.5 stars

I liked this book well enough, but at times it felt repetitive. I'm glad it was assigned for school, but I wish I could have read it section by section to really take it in.

It's interesting and thought provoking, so I'd recommend it.
Maureen
Aug 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: buddhism
I wish I still owned a copy of this book so that I could quote from it here. In addition to being a great spiritual teacher, Thich Nhat Hanh is a fine writer. When ever I read his work, I can hear the soft inflections of his voice in my head.

Particularly after viewing the opening of the Olympic games, where China sought to persuade the world of their sincere interest in peace and harmony by displaying giant neon-colored ideograms, Thich Nhat Hanh is a refreshing alternative. Like the Dali Lama,
Katja
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It started and ended in such a friendly casual way that the dharma sandwich in the middle seemed a bit intense and concentrated - I personally would have liked it to be spread out a little.
Tamar
Nov 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful writing and ways of expressing rather complex ideas about Buddhism.
Zois
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beautiful, helpful books I have read and I am not doing it justice with this hurried, short review. This book is aimed more at people who have at least some experience with meditation or mindfulness practice. Thich Nhat Hanh talks about the nature of reality as something that is constantly changing, everything in it affecting everything around it. We interact with this reality and create our own version of it interpreted by our senses, concepts and ideas, but by doing this we als ...more
Thien Dang
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thich Nhat Hanh is such a admirable person.

His words are wise and beautiful, i cannot describe how beautiful this book has been written,
the mindset and mentality he is giving in this book are very desireable.
Chocofox
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enlightening. This book encouraged me to be mindful of everything. Maybe I'll take up meditation for real this time.
Maryann Moffit
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Not bad.

Not as enlightening to me as soon as the others, but not bad, either. I am moving on got one of his other books which I haven't read.
Jasmine
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now I understand the meaning of the title.
Nguyễn Thái
A kind of book that you will re-read so many times (to understand it thoroughly :]])
Kristine
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Soothing. Peaceful. Gave me pause...enriched my meditation practice.
Carol
This is my favorite Thich Nhat Hanh book. It is a wonderful, simple collection of observations and meditations on life. My second reading was even more illuminating than the first.
Iona  Stewart
I was somewhat disappointed in this book, since I was expecting something along the lines of previous little books by this author on mindfulness. This book proved different, though of course the subjects of mindfulness, breathing exercises and so on do come up. I suppose one could say that the topic of this book is the same as that of the others, this book just goes deeper (infinitely deeper).

This book shows a highly intellectual, philosophical side of the author: He teaches us that
Joycelyn
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every line in this book is as essential to me as it is Present Moment, Wonderful Moment book by Thich Nhat Hanh. The book discovers life in both microscopic and macroscopic views backed by science, giving me a big picture - yet in great details, about how life is - how everything is.

A very great book that deserves many reads for it nurtures right view about the so-called "self" and "others" - though can be hard to grasp at first, critically crucial for me to see through the ignorance and illusi
Kireja
I really enjoy reading books on spirituality, meditation and mindfulness. What I really liked about this book is that Thich Nhat Hanh reassures us that meditation should not be about forcing ourselves to sit still without thinking any thoughts. Instead Thich Nhat Hanh advises us to "never force your body or your mind. Be kind to yourself. Live your daily life simply, with awareness". Therefore in meditation we should go like a river, where we are: A.) aware and in the present moment B.)our breat ...more
dirt
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Nhat Hanh uses some beautiful imagery to convey how we are all connected, each atom of every thing is essential to life in this universe. If even one thing were out of place, it would not be.

I do get a little lost when he starts talking shop about Sutras, though in the preface he clearly states this book doesn't need to be read in order and what you may not get one day will become enlightening another.
Vicki
Dec 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
This is not one of the best of Thay's books, and I would not recommend starting with it. The first and last sections are quite lovely and helpful, especially his discussion of the importance of finding peace in the difficult moments and not waiting for everything to be calm and peaceful externally. But the middle section deals with quantum physics and the connections with Buddhist principles; fascinating, but more intellectualized.
Iva Pokorny
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I too hear his soft voice as I read his books now. And I feel his peace and humor ..I love his humor .. As he does his Walking Meditation. The Sun My heart My Heart The Sun Interdependness. That's what it is all about. I wouldn't be here right now, if all the circumstances in the Universe weren't just right for my existence. Think about that deeply, says Thich (teacher) Nhat Hanh. He invites you to think deeply ...
Lee Evans
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
A majestic way of looking at the world. Almost every other paragraph is full of something that will change your perspective on life. Thay's down-to-earth style and gentle way or writing is a sharp contrast to religious dogmatists of our day. He wants you to examine yourself and connect with the universe, not for your own glory or to make himself feel better, but because it just... makes... sense.

I'm going to be rereading this book frequently.
Elisabeth M
Nov 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elisabeth by: The bookstore aisle.
This author reaches me like no other.

In particular, this book made me feel like a student in the tutelage of a good master. I felt as though Thich Nhat Hanh was always offering me something just beyond my range, pushing my understanding just a little further, thus leading me from one step to the next.

Mostly, though, he's a beautiful man, and he makes me see the beauty of the world in a way that transforms me.

MizzSandie
This little book was a nice little reminder of how to live life more mindfully.

Somewhere in the middle it got a little heavy on the Buddhist wordings and theories, referenced to without any further explanations, and since I'm not so well versed in it myself, i got a little disconnected.

But overall it was fine, especially the beginning and ending of it.
Geeb Youssef
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really liked it. It tells a story of a different way of looking at life while trying to relate it to physics. If you ever wonder why a locked up prisoner is able to smile, or how were all related in energy. The ideas of living through another. its crazy mind flipping book that brings impeccable philosophical ways of thinking more towards peace and happiness.
Molly
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book precisely because it combines spiritualism and science. My mother had died right before I read it and the strength and guidance provided throughout unfolded the beauty of the earth to me again. I have read several of his books now, and this remains my favorite for its practical advice and interweaving of scientific observation with compassion for all life on earth, and beyond.
Serena Long ﺕ
Reading anything from Thich Nhat Hanh is usually always a pleasure. Thich Nhat Hanh is a fine writer. Whenever I read his book, I can hear the soft inflections of his voice in my head. Thank you so much Thay.
Patrick
a bit denser than some of his other works but still a calming endeavor. any time spent with Thich Nhat Hanh is always time well spent.
Neil
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
will be reading for a while...I don't think you can ever finish this book. Tich Nhat Hanh is truly amazing. I carry this in my bag when I'm traveling sometimes.
Benjamin Owen
zen is kind of a boring way to live, but good to learn about the rest of the world
Jeff
May 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Religion and your spirit is to personal and I would say this is a light in the dark.
Steven
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great insights but a challenging read
Ava
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you ever what to learn "how" to meditate, read the first couple chapters. It provides wonderful insight into settling the mind.

• Bạn đắt giá bao nhiêu?
  • Q & A
  • Óc sáng suốt
  • What Makes You Not a Buddhist
  • Nature, Man and Woman
  • What Is Life? with Mind and Matter and Autobiographical Sketches
  • Hajsza a fegyverekért (Delfin könyvek)
  • Burmese Days
  • Paris: A Love Story
  • 20 Under 40: Stories from The New Yorker
  • Double Cup Love
  • How to Be Alone
  • Fear and Trembling
Thích Nhất Hạnh is a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, teacher, author, poet and peace activist who now lives in southwest France where he was in exile for many years. Born Nguyễn Xuân Bảo, Thích Nhất Hạnh joined a Zen (Vietnamese: Thiền) monastery at the age of 16, and studied Buddhism as a novitiate. Upon his ordination as a monk in 1949, he assumed the Dharma name Thích Nhất Hạnh. Thích is an honorary family n ...more
“Shallow understanding accompanies shallow compassion. Great understanding goes with great compassion.” 1 likes