Start by marking “The Brothers Karamazov (Landmarks of World Literature)” as Want to Read:
The Brothers Karamazov (Landmarks of World Literature)

The Brothers Karamazov (Landmarks of World Literature)

The Brothers Karamazov, completed in November 1880 just two months before Dostoyevsky's death, displays both his mastery as a storyteller and his significance as a thinker. In this volume, Dr. Leatherbarrow shows that far from being merely a philosophical religious tract, The Brothers Karamazov is an enjoyable and accessible novel. He discusses its major themes, including ...more
Published November 27th 1992 by Cambridge University Press

To ask other readers questions about The Brothers Karamazov, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brothers Karamazov

Motherhouse
Aug 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Each of the four brothers represents a different part of human nature -- the intellect, the spirit, the bodily passions, and the base/evil side of man. I read this book at a time when I was struggling with the tension between intellect and spirit, and some passages in this book spoke directly to that. I especially loved the idea that you can't ever prove to yourself that God exists, but you can be convinced of it through the experience of active, selfless love. Allison Pond
Scotchneat
Apr 19, 2009 rated it liked it
This is Dostoyevsky's final novel and the one that lots of people see as his best.

A father dies and we see and hear how each of his sons were part of it. It's psychologically complex and dark, and is a thesis writer's dream. Nobody does rage, revenge and remorse quite like Dostoyevsky.
John
This is one of my favorite books. As in Crime and Punishment, Dostoyevsky, who had endured Siberian prisons, battled addictions and overcome severe disappointments, boldly confronts questions of good and evil in this his magnum opus. It is a story of patricide, the meaning of human freedom, and the depth of forgiveness. Some highlights are the parable of the Grand Inquisitor and the supreme character development of the protagonist, Alyosha. It is definitely worth rereading.
Sarah White
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that got me reading. It took an entire summer. He covers so many subjects and uses such beautiful language, and still manages to interweave a nail-biting mystery that keeps you on your toes until the very end.
April Barrett-Kelly
Nov 24, 2009 rated it liked it
This book was tortuous to read. It felt like 3 different long-winded stories sewn together. I understand that it was originally supposed to be split into 2 volumes and that Dostoevsky wrote it towards the end of his life. He had lost a son and had become a recluse.

I picture an old man sitting in a candlelit room day in and day out obsessively penning a story that has become an extension of himself. I respect it but I found the long philosophical passages unnecessary and infuriating. I prefer Cri
David
Aug 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
What can you say when your are reading an admitted classic? I'm enjoying this book, but have been wrestling with finding the time to read. Instead, I've been setting it down in favor of a P. G. Wodehouse binge of Jeeves and Wooster.

What does that say about me? What does it say about my current devotion to THIS book? I'm not sure, but I WILL pick it up again, and anticipate that my enjoyment will continue.
Jeff
Sep 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm glad I read this book. It is not an easy book to read, but like most Russian novelists, Dostoyevsky writes with passion and detail. The central theme of God/Satan/Evil/Charity etc. are woven in this book with great skill. The Brothers are an interesting case study into the Russians culture and soul at the end of the 19th century. Now on to something less "heavy".....I guess a son killing a father (or did he?) is a pretty heavy topic.
KathyC
Oct 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
As good, but different, on the second read. I had remembered the Grand Inquisitor's speech as revelatory the first time around (in my 20s), and the rest of the novel more or less supporting material. Thirty years later I am interested more in the particulars of Zosima and Alyosha's faith, and my reaction to them. Novel as Rorschach, I guess.
Troy
Jun 10, 2009 added it
One of my ALL time favorite books ever.......Fyodors portrayal of Alyoshka and the conversation he has with the master monk, chapter entitled "The Grand Inquisitor" is one of the finest metaphors of our misguided love of organized religion as exists....
Peter
Apr 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
some of the best argument for an against Christianity presented in a beautiful context, as lived by the lives of the characters in the story. Not exactly a page turner, but "rebellion" and "the grand inquisitor" stick out as being the centerpiece of the novel.
Angela Joyce
Feb 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Best Russian work ever.
Noel Kus
Jun 02, 2009 is currently reading it
Dostoyevski at his most deadly. I am loving it to bits
Ben
Sep 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A thick book to work on, but very much of worth the time it takes. I stopped at about book Five, to clear my mind a bit.
Matthew
Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My first "epic" novel. Emily gave me a hardback copy for our first Christmas as a couple.
Lance
Dec 30, 2009 is currently reading it
Great translation by Constance Garnett. I chose this volume because of the adroit, and crystal cliear, though direct translation. Very pleased so far!
Louise Tobin
May 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I do prefer The Idiot to this, but there is little between them. Both are amazing books, and prove that Dostoevsky is one of the greatest writers of our time.
Eben
Dec 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Don't be proud, and only do the right thing if you're doing it for the right reasons.
Omar
Jan 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book of all time. I love it so much.
Tanya
Oct 09, 2008 is currently reading it
umm.. im on page 70 .. and cant bring myself to go any futher while doing the IB at the same time..
Heather Smith
Apr 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Classic but even I couldnt' slog through some of his extensive monologues. oy vay!
John
May 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Freedom is frightening. Christian mysticism. Plight of Russian peasants. "Hurrah for Karamazov!"
Joanna
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Dostoyevsky portrays Polish people in a negative light. Overall it was okay if you like the Russian literature that is full of drama.
Amy
Oct 14, 2008 added it
I enjoyed The Idiot and Notes From the Underground years ago. Maybe I have a bad translation of Brothers. I can't get into it. Didn't finish it.
Katie
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Hard to start cause it's so big but worth it!
Violet
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
one of my all time favourites
Sean
Apr 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Complex and well-developed characters.
Rosie Crawford
May 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
one of my favorite books. Great story about relationships and family, and yes, baseball.
Dan
Dec 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The human soul in its three powers: the appetitive, the rational, and the noetic. Very Russian, very Orthodox.
Matthew Rosas
Aug 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book started my fascination with reading and made me read nearly all of his works.
Jason McIntosh
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this is a big, wandering, mess of a book. and so totally worth the effort. I took me a while to finally finish but this was probably my favorite Dostoyevsky novel.

• Fyodor Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment (Monarch Notes)
  • Love and Friendship
  • A Student's Guide to Political Philosophy
  • Key to the Science of Theology
  • The Night Country
  • Notes from Underground & The Grand Inquisitor
  • Dostoyevsky's Notes from Underground (Critical Studies in Russian Literature)
  • Holy Sonnets