Start by marking “The Book of Luke” as Want to Read:
The Book of Luke

The Book of Luke

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  12,998 Ratings  ·  356 Reviews
Emily Abbott has always been considered the Girl Most Likely to Be Nice—but lately being nice hasn’t done her any good. Her parents have decided to move the family from Chicago back to their hometown of Boston in the middle of Emily’s senior year. Only Emily’s first real boyfriend, Sean, is in Chicago, and so is her shot at class valedictorian and early admission to the Iv ...more
Published April 3rd 2007 by MTV Books

Chelsea
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teenage-romance, 2011, ya
Tori
To be honest, I loved this book. When I picked it up, I thought it was going to be the cliched good-girl-loves-bad-boy. But oh wait, that's what this story was... But I don't know. I still liked it. I liked the aspect of this girl who had her feelings bottled up for so her, had her real self bottled up for so long, and finally let it all out by being a bitch.

(view spoiler)
Bookaholic (reads every mortal thing)
I spent 2 weeks trying to read this. TWO WEEKS! Whoever said that 'the best is yet to come' obviously didn't spend 14 days trying to make sense of or even tolerate reading this book.

1. Emily is so bloody whiny and judgmental!. If anything bad happens to her, like say, if her father decides to stay back in Chicago for just a few more months, she immediately assumes that he has a secret girlfriend.

Emily-logic. Don't ask.

2. Luke is one of those annoying seniors you had back in High School. The on
Maggie
Mar 26, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book horribly flat. The writing wasn't good at all and the characters just too stuck up and annoying. The writing was bad mainly because everything was so flat out stated: "'Just get out,' I ordered, and TJ did just that. The main character, Emily, is so stuck up and she doesn't even know it - and that's the type of person I hate the most. She doesn't admit that she's wrong when she hurts others because she blinds herself by thinking that other people did things wrong, too, and so ...more
Alyssa
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anjali
Apr 11, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who'd like to murder their brain cells
Dear God, what a terrible book. Now, where to start...

The Book of Luke is not anywhere close to its intriguing title. It is instead filled with a bunch of idiotic senior girls who clearly have nothing better to do in their spare time and therefore resort to "testing" out their tips for a guy on how to be a better boyfriend on an equally stupid boy. Let's breakdown the characters, shall we?

Emily This girl, who, although comes off as sooooo nice , is really a judgmental nincompoop. Her dad does
Det
There's a quote in the book that I think best describes Emily, it says something like "Doing nice things doesn't make you nice if you don't mean it; it just makes you a liar." coz that one sentence fit her to a T. Throughout the book, she keeps saying that she is tired of how people label her as a nice person. She does things that is the opposite of how she feels but she'd do it because it was the right/nice thing to do. So its no surprise that Emily eventually tries to get rid of her goody two ...more
diana
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorite
I've got one word for you - NICE. Emily Abbott has always been known as nice, what with her mom being the epitome of all thing etiquette and good manners, Emily always does the good and right thing. But after her father decides to move them back to Boston but actually not going with them to tie up some "loose ends" and her boyfriend Sean breaks up with her on moving day, Emily decides that being NICE is no longer an option. She's tired of always doing the good thing and then get nothing good out ...more
Danna
Nov 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Okay, I officially love MTV books! The Book of Luke was that good. You should seriously go get this book right now, that’s how much I loved it.
Emily was a great character and I loved how she took charge in the story. She knew what she wanted to shape a boy into and she did…well, sorta. Emily and Luke’s relationship was brilliantly written. I liked how it actually showed how they progressed into it instead of “oh my god I’m in love with you” right from the beginning type of thing.
The story line i
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
I read this book last summer and it was great! This is a good summer read for all who love a love story.
Misty Baker
Seeing as how it is Valentines week I’ve decided to switch things up a bit. I am obviously still going to post my rants, but instead of embracing the ugly, the perverse, or the just plain weird (like I usually do) I decided to bring you LOVE. (Stop laughing… it’s not nice.) That’s right people, for the remainder of the week I will bring you love in all of its forms, from the cheeky pop-coulter type all the way down to the classic “If I can’t have you no one can” obsessive type.

So… for all of my
Rose
I'm going to fully admit that "The Book of Luke" surprised me with how engaging it was. I honestly didn't put it down for several stretches because I think as far as teenage issues and life is concerned, Jenny O'Connell got it right. Everything from Emily's frustration with moving in the middle of her senior year, breaking up with her boyfriend, and feeling betrayed by her parents in measures to wanting to be a different person and the emotions that came across her growing attraction with Luke. ...more
Sammee (I Want to Read That)
3.5 Stars

When we first meet Emily she is being forced to move back to Boston, her boyfriend dumps her and it turns out her father is not coming with them! But being back in Boston is not all bad. She reconnects with her old best friends, Josie and Lucy, and together they come up with a perfect idea for their senior time capsule: an instruction book for guys teaching them the right way to treat girls. Of course, they decide they should test it out and who better to test it on than Luke Preston -
Carmen
When I first read about this book online, I knew that I had to get to it. I love books that have a plot around some he-said-she-said, boy vs girl storyline. I wasn't disappointed to say the least.

I think this book is great for any teen who knows the ordeals that goes into choosing a friends and someone we can potentially love. It's also great for girls who think that guys are genetically stupid and just don't know how to treat girls right. Jenny O'Connell makes it clear in this novel that boys a
Steph Su
High school senior Emily Abbott has always been nice. That’s what happens when your mother is a nationally known etiquette guru.

Well, look where nice has gotten her. Several weeks before Christmas, her dad makes the decision to move the family back to Massachusetts, where they grew up, and then several days later announces that he is going to stay in Chicago for a little while. Then her boyfriend Sean breaks up with her the morning she is leaving on her front step, in front of her whole family.

S
Kathlyn
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now-a-days, teen girls read "What to Look For in a Boy" guides, but nobody has written a "Don't Do This" guide directly towards boys, and that's what best friends Emily, Josie, and Lucy are thinking about doing. The morning Emily leaves Chicago to move back to Boston, her boyfriend Sean breaks up with her. Not only did her boyfriend just break up with her, Emily's dad is staying in Chicago to finsh things up and she has to say good-bye toher chance to becoming valedictorian of her graduating cla ...more
Marie
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was alright, read something similar before but nevertheless I enjoy a witty romance novel.
Emily is your typical school girl but she's nice to everyone, in fact she's so nice that only one girl doesn't like her, because she tries to hard to be liked.
So when she gets uplifted to Chicago and back again to Hollywood 2 years later she's surprised to see not much has changed other than Luke Preston. The once invisible guy who left Emily a valentines card and a box of chocolates on the day
Fatima
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This review might come across as harsh, and I apologize...I'm just in a bad mood.

On my Young Adult Contemporary Romance Spree, I stumbled upon this book and decided to give it a shot. My thoughts at the end of the book was--meh. I thought the book wasn't that bad but it wasn't great either. Although the story is a bit different from the books I've read, I think the execution was pretty meh. Yes, I'm using a lot of "mehs" because this book should've been called 'The Book of Meh'. No joke. I didn'
Daoll
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

I really hoped to like this book. I honestly really did. And overall, my favorite part was the love story part. But I was honestly really irritated by Emily and her lies, the book, the lying overall, and then Josie and Lucy were horrendous. I honestly didn't mind Lucy that much, but Josie irritated me a lot and she was honestly a bad friend in my opinion. The lies were constant and I honestly just wanted something more real. Overall, Luke and Emily were cute together, bu
Camille ♡
Sep 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Wow! I never thought I'd be so into this book! It definitely suits my present situation. I am planning to change a person but because I read this I think I'll just influence him and not exactly change him.

Emily is totally like me. I'm nice but so sick of being one. Everyone thinks you'll always do the nicest best thing. But actually, I know how to screw things up, intentionally or accidentally.

I only have 3 words. NOBODY IS PERFECT.
Nozomi
Aug 22, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like reading teen contemporary romance because it's closer to the reality of what could happen to me (hopeless romantic in me thinking), or at least most of the time it is, but this was nothing special.

I actually got extremely annoyed with the female characters--they're all made out to be snobby and controlling of their boyfriends--which is already true for 75% of the female population. Give guys a break, jeeze.
Bryana
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was slightly slow at first and i feel like it kept dragging on but the last half of the book are what made this book very good. It had the usual 'love story' plot but with a twist, the guide. Through the last few chapters i had to stop reading a few times because i got so connected with the characters that i got a little emotional. This book was a great read, with an amazing ending!! :)
La Mala ✌
Esta es mi opinión :

MEH .

Listo .

Después , con respecto a los consejos y la idea general del libro , voy a robarle una frase a mi personaje favorito de GIRLS , Jessa Johansson :

description

Anna
Nov 13, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a trainwreck that happened in really slow motion. It started off kind of shaky but then picked up speed and then it just kind of crashed. And for about 150 pages it just kept getting worse and worse. It's a totally cliche story. Character development is weak and there's so much pointless dialogue that you feel like you're totally drowning in lame conversation.

Skip.
Cheryl
Sep 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 13 year old daughter wanted to read this book so I read it to make sure it was ok for her. She won't be allowed to read it at this time because although I really like the story, there are too many four letter words and sexual references. I might let her read it in a few years.
Sarah Marie
Aug 03, 2014 marked it as lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-it-away
I'm just not interested in this. I thought I was because I owned a copy, but it just seems like a really cheesy novel. Not even a cheesy novel I would enjoy.
Thalia
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of John Tucker Must Die
Read the review on my blog:
Aida
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mucho más que una guía para chicos!!! <3
Kateryna
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read this as a fifteen year old, I liked it. Had the whole high school drama going on and I felt like it was a great book. Now? Nope.
Nadia Karen Sinclair-Mills
  • Lost It
  • Take Me There
  • Caleb + Kate
  • Bloom
  • The Boyfriend Trick (First Kisses, #2)
  • One Night That Changes Everything (One Night That Changes Everything, #1)
  • I Know It's Over
  • What Would Emma Do?
  • Rhymes with Cupid
  • So Over You
  • The Boyfriend League
  • Love at First Click (First Kisses, #6)
  • Drive Me Crazy
  • The Wrong Path
  • Second Kiss (Second Kiss, #1)
  • Falling for Romeo
Published chick-lit under the name Jennifer O'Connell.

I haven't been called Jenny in years (thankfully), but I thought it was fitting to publish my teen book under the name that still makes me think of high school.

My high school days may be long behind me, but I have a lot in common with Vanessa, the main character in PLAN B. Like Vanessa, I also went to a small private school. I was also mildly o
More about Jenny O'Connell...
“[H]iding how you really feel and trying to make everyone happy doesn't make you nice, it just makes you a liar.” 1488 likes
“I guess relationships are just funny like that. It's impossible to figure out why some work out and others don't. Why someone can be so imperfect and still be the perfect person for you. Maybe, in the end, it's not about changing the person you care about. Maybe it's about learning what you can live with. Or maybe it's really about learning what you can't live without.” 104 likes