Start by marking “Melonhead” as Want to Read:
Melonhead

Melonhead (Melonhead #1)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  696 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
Melonhead is my preferred name. Preferred by me, not my mom. She likes people to call me by my real name, Adam Melon. Luckily, it’s too late for that because when my friend, Lucy Rose, invented Melonhead, it caught
on fast.

Usually I am the one doing the inventing. All my life, which is 10 years, great ideas have been popping in and out of my melon head. Sometimes they work.
Published March 10th 2009 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published February 29th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Melonhead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Melonhead

Alyssa Calhoun
I was literally laughing out loud while reading Melonhead. I'm not sure if I've ever laughed out loud reading a book as much as I did with this one. People kept looking at me funny and asking what I was laughing about!

This is the story of Adam Melon, who his friends have nicknamed Melonhead. Melonhead is constantly finding himself in some sort of predicament. Some of them he gets into by himself, others seem to happen just by chance. Most of them come about as Melonhead and Sam (his best friend)
Sandra Stiles
The pictures and the writing reminded me of one of Roald Dahl’s books. I love his books and loved this one as well. Adam Melon, a.k.a. Melonhead is a very active boy. It seems that trouble was always finding him. The story starts out with a lot of excitement. Melonhead has his foot stuck in a hole in a tree limb. It seems the whole town has turned out. The longer his foot is inside the hole the more it sweats and swells. It takes the jaws of life to remove the foot from the hole. He is an inquis ...more
Lisa
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so funny! The reviews got it right. Katy Kelly has a great "kid" voice for the characters, and those boys are just too real! I laughed out-loud and thought of other boys that I know like these two. I also like the curricular connection within the story, the students are creating Re-inventions. The idea is to repurpose something as a useful new invention. The idea of following the Scientific Method is effectively incorporated into the storyline. Kelly also has a couple of other book ...more
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: realistic, boys
3 1/2 stars... I find it hard to rate books at this level, but I can say it's cute for 3rd/4th grade boys. It's kind of like Fudge or Stink. The jokes sometimes loose a little something in the delivery. The author often explains the consequences of Melonhead's actions before explaining what led to those consequences, usually leaving me confused -- "Did I miss something? Oh, now I get it." -- and forcing the humor to take a back seat to the "mystery" of what happened. All in all, a light, fun rea ...more
Stephanie
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Melonhead is this impetuous and zany kid with all sorts of crazy ideas and experiences. This book is well written and so funny! I was laughing my head off. I thought it was the boy version of Clementine by Sara Pennypacker. I LOVED IT!! It probably won't win the Newbery, but it was a fantastic book that I think boys will love. (Sometimes it's hard to find books for 8-10 year old boys, but this one is perfect!)

for more reviews go to fabulousreads.blogspot.com
Linda
Aug 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades 2-5
Recommended to Linda by: Peggy Sharp
Love this book - so did my 5th grade and 10th grade sons - LOL. Can't wait to tell our teacher in charge of the Invention Club at school with all the effort to study and create inventions in the book. The other quirky notable is the way the kids come up wiht rhymes like 'Later, alligator,' but better - way better
Mary
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, realistic
3rd-4th An engaging humorous story of Lucy Rose's friend Adam Melon aka Melonhead and the crazy, unusual situations he gets himself into.
Gwen the Librarian
May 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit
I love Katy Kelly's Lucy Rose books and now here is a story just about Melonhead (aka Adam Melon)! I like Melonhead's story even better than the books about Lucy Rose. It's just really, really fun.
Karen Arendt
I truly enjoyed this book. I love the crazy mishaps the Melonhead and Sam get in while trying to be good. I think this book would be enjoyed by many. I will now need to read the Lucy Rose stories.
June
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents & children
This started out really strong and had me laughing out loud. Kelly wasn't able to keep it up for the whole story, but I think any parent or child will get a kick out of the book. I'll come back and let add what the book club thinks.

Well, Melonhead got 2 - 10's, 1- 9 & 1-8. So, it was a big hit. One boy came up with some wonderful questions and comparisons to Justin Case: School, Drool, and Other Daily Disasters & Pippi Longstocking. The children were even talking about doing the next boo
Kenneth McCalpin
May 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is so funny! especially the parts with Julia the baby in them, because she will say whatever she hears, only a little weird, like if you say "armadillo" she'll say "I'm a pillow". the story is like this: the main character (whose real name is Adam Melon though he prefers to be called Melonhead) has a project for the invention fair and he teams up with his friend Sam to invent something to win a prize. several failed experiments (including trying to hide a garter snake in Melonhead's ro ...more
Joenna
Great funny book for boys. Has lots of fun things happen to him in this book such as getting his foot stuck in a tree (he thinks it's the coolest thing that he gets to pee from a tree!); he finds a snake and thinks the snake "Cobra" would make the best pet; and he needs an invention for his science class. Needless to say he gets in trouble a lot by his teachers and parents.
Amy Brown
For kids who like Stink and Roscoe Riley Rules. Melonhead has lot of ideas, many of which get him in trouble, ideas that involve snakes, getting stuck in a tree, and trying to come up with a re-invention for school. He's a really like-able character. Hopefully there will be more in the series.
Emma
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Hilarious! The main character of this book reminds me of the mischievous, naughty boys I love to have as students! The ones who would absolutely carry cereal around in their pockets, just in case they got hungry. This is going to be my first read aloud of the new school year.
Claudia  Fett
Melonhead is a realistic fiction story about a 10 year old boy who is trying to create an invention to share at school. He and his friend, Sam, get into hilarious situations while trying to come up with an invention. This book would be good to use during an Invention Unit.
Jessica
Really funny, I laughed out loud at parts. This book seemed like Clementinewith a boy main character.
Becky
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it to discuss with my 8 year old nephew. Great read for boys!!! Funny and a page turner.
Carrie
Dec 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I'm so glad Katy Kelly is expanding her "Lucy Rose" series with something from the male perspective. I'm not as wild about Melonhead as I am about Lucy Rose, but then again, I'm a girl. :-p
The Library Lady
Boys will like this one. The dialog between Melonhead and the fireman helping to rescue him from a tree is particularly true and funny.
Carol
Jun 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melonhead is the boys nickname. This book deals with his search for the perfect science project. He kind of reminds me of my son David.
Stephanie
Melonhead is the male equilvilent of Clementine. Cute Cute! Boys who like Masters of Disaster will like this.
carson Alexis  Sanchez
10/15/13

His mom likes people to call him by his real name Adam Melon. Adam melon has a friend name lucky and she started this name called Melon head. Everyone CAUGHT on fast to the name. Most of the time melon head is the person that likes to invent stuff. His school entered IN inventing fair for there school.

The main characters are melon head, mom, lucky and rose.

My favorite character is melon head because he reminds me of a kid named Colebee. They both do every thing the same. Mostly because h
Ingrid
Melonhead is the kind of boy who acts before he thinks through if it is a good idea or not. As a result he often gets himself into all sorts of trouble with his parents, neighbors, and teachers. Of course his adventures are all very funny. Melonhead and his classmates are busy working on inventions for a school project and some of his adventures relate to this project. This is the first book in the planned Melonhead series. I think that kids will like the zany adventures of Melonhead and his fri ...more
Heather
Hilarious. It was like reading Clementine (Pennypacker) for boys, but even funnier. Adam Melon gets himself into all kinds of trouble (never on purpose, of course) and sometimes it is laugh-out-loud hilarious. Frankly, some of the great moments are also the comments/one-liners from the adults in the book who are well acquainted with "Melonhead" and his friends. I think boys will definitely like this one and be ready to read about Melonhead's next adventures.
Judi Paradis
Melonhead is a regular sort of guy who gets into all sorts of odd predicaments--getting his foot stuck in a high tree branch, losing snakes, and walking across his dentist's skylight. He never means to get in trouble, and in this way, reminds me of a bunch of other realistic fiction characters from Ramona to Fudge. Kids who enjoy these sorts of funny, realistic characters will enjoy this book.
Luanne Hatcher
The author of Lucy Rose has created a humorous series about a boy nicknamed Melonhead. Lucy Rose is a character in this book. Adam, a.k.a. Melonhead, finds himself in constant trouble. He's a likeable, funny boy. There is some bathroom humor in it, but the younger kids will enjoy it. I found myself liking Melonhead and his friends, too.
Marian
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm laughing my way through this book... Trying to catch up to my kids who are a couple of Melonheads ahead of me. What a delightful set of characters and situations! Katy Kelly is in my top ten for young adult fiction writers!
David F.
In the beginning there was this kid his name is Adam. When Adam plays on his neighbor's tree adam gets his foot stuck in the tree hole. After that, his neighbors tried to pull it out for him but it didn't work. So the neighbors called the paramedics to get a saw to cut the branch.
Brandi Rae
Very funny! Adam Melon and his friend Sam have one mishap after another as they try to find an idea to win the school's invention fair. I'd give it to the kids who have moved past Megan McDonald's Stink books.
Jenn
Sep 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and so did my son. I thought the situations were funny and I appreciated that the characters were good kids - not perfect or goody-two-shoes, but generally kind-hearted and respectful.
  • Thomas and the Dragon Queen
  • No Girls Allowed (Dogs Okay) (Secrets of a Lab Rat, #1)
  • Double Dog Dare
  • Oggie Cooder
  • Mousenet
  • The Adventures of Beanboy (Beanboy #1)
  • The Dunderheads
  • My Rotten Life (Nathan Abercrombie, Accidental Zombie, #1)
  • Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Alvin Ho, #2)
  • The Five Lives of Our Cat Zook
  • Shells, Smells, and the Horrible Flip-Flops of Doom (Justin Case, #2)
  • The Year of the Book (Anna Wang #1)
  • Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally)
  • Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze
  • Fake Mustache
  • Waiting for the Magic
  • How Oliver Olson Changed the World
  • The Trouble With Chickens (J.J. Tully Mystery #1)

Melonhead (5 books)