Start by marking “Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)” as Want to Read:
Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)

Best in Show

(Melanie Travis #10)

Murder's on the ticket when intrepid Poodle breeder Melanie Travis travels to Maryland for a world famous dog show where the competition isn't the only thing that's cutthroat...

There are dog shows, and then there's PCA: the Poodle Club of America National Specialty show. For Poodle purists, it's the pinnacle of the show season, drawing thousands of competitors and spectato
Published August 1st 2004 by Kensington Publishing (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Best in Show, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best in Show

Heidi Burkhart
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another terrific book in the Melanie Travis series! I especially enjoyed this because the mystery was clever, but also because many of the scenes took place at The Poodle Club of America National Specialty Dog Show. Berenson's descriptions are wonderful. I can still see all of the poodles and their handlers in the show ring. So entertaining.
Joan
May 21, 2009 rated it liked it
My second venture into Poodledom with Melanie Travis. This time, the setting is the national Specialty Show---the Superbowl of poodle competition. Although this is aimed primarily at dog lovers, non-dog people might enjoy the excitement of America's biggest poodle competition and and the antics of rabid (pardon the pun) competitors. A couple of nice plot twists (although I guessed the outcome halfway through the book, and good strong characters make this an enjoyable read.
DAISY DISNEY
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I have read one of the newer books in this series and being that I really liked that one, I thought for sure I would love this one. But, that was not the case. I did not connect to any of the characters in this book. The Boone sisters were cute with their constant bickering though. A positive note about the book is that it's very informative on the dog show world.
Beth
Jul 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I learned more about poodles than I needed to know, but it was entertaining nonetheless. The subplot with the lookalike sisters was a bit predictable.
Dave
Aug 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Eh...it was ok. Would be better if you were a big fan of dog shows. Decent story but not hard to guess the next twist.
Pat
Oct 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Poodle show at Show Place Arena.
Very cute.
Melanie helps with raffle.
2 older sisters look alike.
1 is murdered. The other pretends she is the other sister.
Vanet Jensen
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book more than the previous in this series. Melanie finds herself in the middle of the most prestigious poodle show in the world and then there is a death of one of the sisters who are the owners of Bubba. I really enjoy the fact that Melanie is on the outside looking in to figure this out. There is Sam her once fiance who wants to come back into her life after taking off without a word. Her aunt who is the poodle expert and has recently become a judge is a great source of informa ...more
Teresa in ohio
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
Road trip for this book, off to Maryland the group for a HUGE poodle show. Once again Aunt Peg ropes Melanie into a job she isnt sure she wants. She ends up being an assistant to two senior citizen sister who run the raffle at the show. Early on, one sister is found unresponsive on the patio and dies. Is it accident or murder? For most of the book, it is really the concern of most at the show. Melanie at the end figures it out, this book was just okay in the series but I will read the next one.
Dena
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am so surprised when this author can keep finding new ways to get her main character in the thick of things! But she does and it always pulls me along HAPPILY! Loved it. At some point, I'm going to catch up in the series and have to wait like everyone else for each next one....... I do not look forward to that. So I'll keep pacing myself with one book every other read and follow Melanie and Sam and Aunt Peg and Faith and Eve and Davey!
Fiona Forthe
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
All the details about the poodle club were mildly interesting, though they detracted from the action in a few spots. Half of the big reveal was obvious very early on, and the ending seemed to come out of nowhere. A fun little read though.
Mary Foster
Not her best

This one made me suspend logic more than most. The series is a quick, light read that spends too much time with dog shows and not enough with the mystery, but this one stretched believability more than usual..
Shawnee
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Big Poodle show!
Lena H.
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Like a mystery version of the movie with the same name. As much as I like reading about Melanie's day-to-day life, a vacation is always a welcome change.
Jane
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Haiku review #16

Liked this 'til the end.
Normal people would have called
The police. Not here.
Emily Cullen
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's the premiere Poodle show in America, and Melanie Travis has entered her puppy in the competition. Her Aunt Peg drafts her into being on the raffle committee along with two elderly sisters. When one of the sisters is murdered, Melanie delves into the (really!) cutthroat world of dog showing to find out who did it. I really enjoy the "Melanie Travis" Mysteries. The stories are always interesting plus Melanie has a very realistic romance going on.
Anne
Sep 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was one of the most enjoyable books by this author I have read. As a long time Dog exhibitor andshow addict, i found this one where she goes to the Prestige show of her breed, the Poodle club of America a fun read. Having experienced many similar people at my own national specialty and also local dog shows, and having gone through the jitters of showing at Nationals, I know exactly how she felt the first time showing there. There is also a murder of course, and Melanie is right in the middl ...more
Joy
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
I listened to this book on tape while I scrapbooked last weekend. The setting of the story is the Poodle Club of America's National Specialty dog show. It would be hard to think of something that is of less interest to me, but I'm trying to widen my world. Melanie Travis must
be the subject of many 'light' mysteries. She's pleasant enough but the
character development is minor compared to Kinsey Milhone of the ABC
mysteries. The plot is too simple; I easily figured out the murderer.
Also the dialogu
Darinda
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
The 10th book in the Melanie Travis mystery series by Laurien Berenson. Melanie is showing her poodle at a prestigious dog show. When one of the committee co-chairs of the show is killed, Melanie sleuths to discover the murderer. A light cozy mystery.
Julie
The incredible ease of these books leads to me reading them too often and getting frustrated at their shallowness. Easy, breezy, silly, and predictable.

Who am I kidding? I'll keep reading.
Jessica Brodman
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
new author very good
Karen-Leigh
Oct 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cosy-mysteries
I might have to go back and reread the ending, I am not clear on what Mel did with the information about the old lady and if she let her get away with what she was doing.
Louann
Mar 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Good
Kerry
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
As a previous owner of a standard poodle and an avid mystery fan I am enjoying this series. Looking forward to finding more.
Pat
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it

Another winner from Berenson. I like that most of the book talked about what was going on at the show and the murder mystery took second place - after all, it is the PCA. :)
Michaelbatte
Nov 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like dogs
I love murder mysteries - this was a light read very entertaining - a lot about dog shows also - plan to read more of her books - just discovered this authoress by accident at library
Lindsey Smith
Fun for dog lovers, very light
Kathy
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I continue to enjoy this series. Perfect for a lazy, rainy weekend.
Marfita
Jan 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
An awful lot of kissing in this for a dog book. Let's see, people die or are run down, but dogs barely get kicked. I think I can see where the priorities are here.
Angela
Apr 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this one. And can not wait for the next one
Lindig
Jun 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Dog breeder (poodles)

• Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)
  • The House on Bloodhound Lane
  • Parrots Prove Deadly (Pru Marlowe, #3)
  • Endangered (Kate Reid #5)
Laurien Berenson is the bestselling author of the Melanie Travis canine mystery series. Her books revolve around the world of dog shows, a milieu she knows well as her family has been involved in the sport of dogs for three generations. There are currently twenty-three Melanie Travis mysteries, including the newest book, BITE CLUB.

Berenson is a four time winner of the Maxwell Award for Fiction fro

Melanie Travis (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
  • Underdog (Melanie Travis, #2)
  • Dog Eat Dog (Melanie Travis, #3)
  • Hair of the Dog (Melanie Travis, #4)
  • Watchdog (Melanie Travis, #5)
  • Hush Puppy (Melanie Travis, #6)
  • Unleashed (Melanie Travis, #7)
  • Once Bitten (Melanie Travis, #8)
  • Hot Dog (Melanie Travis, #9)
  • Jingle Bell Bark (Melanie Travis, #11)