Start by marking “Fever Dream (Pendergast, #10)” as Want to Read:
Fever Dream (Pendergast, #10)

Fever Dream (Pendergast #10)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  24,221 Ratings  ·  1,340 Reviews
Yesterday, Special Agent Pendergast still mourned the loss of his beloved wife, Helen, who died in a tragic accident in Africa twelve years ago. Today, he discovers she was murdered. Tomorrow, he will learn her most guarded secrets, leaving him to wonder: Who was the woman I married? Why was she murdered? And, above all . . . Who murdered her? FEVER DREAM Revenge is not sw ...more
Published May 11th 2010 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Fever Dream, please sign up.

Tracy That would be his dead wife of course, There are multiple books in the series where we find she was not all she appeared to be. Quite frankly, it gets…moreThat would be his dead wife of course, There are multiple books in the series where we find she was not all she appeared to be. Quite frankly, it gets a bit tiresome. (less)

Caz
Feb 16, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fever Dream could have been a good book. The central premise -- that Pendergast finds out his dead wife was murdered, seeks revenge on her killers, and goes on to discover secrets she kept from him -- is intriguing, and there are a few good set-pieces, such as a car chase through a Louisiana swamp. And Preston & Child aren't terrible authors; I enjoyed the two Diogenes-featuring novels in this series, albeit only by ignoring a lot of extraneous words that were probably meant to sound clever. ...more
Colleen
May 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, favorites
Ahhhh! Curse these authors! I was up past dawn reading this book, slept for a few hours, and after bolting awake, made some coffee and got back to reading. And I won't know the final end of this plot line until the next book, so will have to wait another year at least! Not really a spoiler so much, since the authors do this with like 90% of the Pendergast series.

Part of why these books are so clever and fiendishly addictive is because the reader kibitzes for most of it. I'm not going to reveal
Natalie
If you want to get in the full spirit of this review the background music should be a Kidz Bop version of "Oops...I Did It Again".

1. First response: Outrageous, bloody, awful (& bloody awful too) but still somehow entertaining. The Audubon plot and bio-entrepreneurship elements are fascinating. Found myself realizing how fortunate I have been to be able to view Audubon's double elephant folio at the Cal Academy library.
2. Plot elements somehow couldn't be more ridiculous.
3. OTT Example: (v
Andre Farant
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have been following the Pendergast series of books since Relic, published in 1995. Since then, nine more books (with a tenth on the way) have been published featuring the clever and eccentric FBI agent. Like Arthur Conan Doyle before them, Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston have created in FBI Special Agent Aloysius Pendergast a character that elevates any plot in which he might feature and, similarly, enlivens the reading experience. There is more than a little dose of the Holmsian in Penderga ...more
Joseph
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it
You know how you buy a bag of Chee-Tos? And you sit down, open the bag and absently eat a handful, and even as you're thinking, "Yeah, that was probably enough of that," your hand is already snaking back into the bag? And then the next thing you know the bag is completely empty and you're covered with orange dust and feeling vaguely ill? Yeah, these books have that effect on me.
Marialyce
May 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Such a super suspenseful book. While it was over 400 pages, it kept you enthralled throughout with Agent Pendergast and his team solving another mystery. Makes one want to go back and read the entire series.
Jean
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jean by: Lorraine
Yowsa! I really liked this book. Had me turning pages late into the night. Doug and Lincoln can be overly concerned at times with minute details in describing things or places, but man the action scenes really get your heart pumping! Well done Preston and Child! Can't wait for the next one, which has been ordered for me at my library! (Large Print)
Arun Divakar
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
The book that started it all for me was Relic when I was first introduced to the eccentric FBI agent – Aloysius Pendergast and also to the gruff yet valiant NYPD lieutenant Vincent D’Agosta. From then on I have been following these gentlemen on their adventures across the globe while they settled personal vendettas, fought zombies and monsters and investigated serial killers. While the quality of storytelling has wavered at times, Preston and Child have been able to retain a relatively stable st ...more
Wendell
Get set for the usual irritating tics one expects from this pair of talented and dangerously complacent writers, who either eschew or don’t have editors and, if you listen on CD, for René Auberjonois to be perfectly awful as a reader. His Africans sound Italian; his women sound like RuPaul; his southern crackers sound like someone trying to satirize an old Hee-Haw sketch. He doesn’t know—and his “director” apparently never told him—that the airport in Florida is pronounced Sarasota-BRAYdenton (n ...more
Mike
Jun 18, 2010 rated it liked it
I gave this an extra star because I thought Agent Pendergast had about run his course in the Diogenes trilogy of this series of books and even in the last one, 'Cemetery Dance.'

However, even in those books of theirs where my interest wanes, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child write stories that you can't help but keep turning the page, reading just one more chapter. Any of these books are just plain fun to read, and people tend to forget that sometimes, reading just needs to be fun.

So, on to this
Cheryl
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pendergast searches for his wife's killer, unearthing another mystery along the way. The plot was interesting, as were the characters. Although the storyline will continue in the next two books of the series, this book was more of a stand-alone read, which I liked. Fast-paced and entertaining. I really enjoy these authors.
Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries)
This book starts out in Africa with Agent Pendergast and his beloved wife, Helen, on a mini-safari. A German photographer is killed by a lion at a nearby lodge, and Agent Pendergast is called to the scene.

Pendergast, Helen, and a native guide go through the stand of Fever trees to hunt the lion down, as Helen is herself a formidable force with a gun. When the lion attacks, both Pendergast and their guide are injured, and Helen is dragged off after shooting at the attacker and apparently missing
Brian Regan
May 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
In their latest novel about Agent Pendergast (their 10th??), Preston and Child return to form with a great page turner that stands well on its own while providing a great deal of background on the enigmatic FBI Agent. It begins with a flashback to the accidental death (by lion!) of Pendergast's wife, some 12 years earlier. Returning to the "now", the agent makes an unexpected discovery that completely changes his understanding of her death. What follows is a crazy roller-coaster ride involving J ...more
Johnny
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
For a long time, the Pendergast novels teetered on the edge of the supernatural for me. That made many of the novels interesting as I tried to figure out non-supernatural explanations for those factors which seemed to be supernatural. On some occasions, Preston and Childs tantalized without offering any overt explanation. I liked that, too. There should always be room for some mystery in one’s mystery novels. Fever Dream doesn’t offer any hint of the supernatural. This one teeters on the verge o ...more
Stacey Chancellor
Ruthanne Davis
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have to confess, I have yet to read a Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child book about FBI agent Pendergast that I didn't thoroughly enjoy! This is a duo that manage to get better with each and every book they write together. I have not read any of their individual works, they've kept me too busy with this 15 book Pendergast series!

Aloyisious Pendergast has lost his wife in a horrible hunting accident in Africa. Okay, so that is sort of a spoiler...but don't bet on it! Revenge is on his mind but he ha
Abby
Mar 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Things are certainly looking up for this series. We have Pendergast investigating the mysterious death of his wife Helen twelve years ago. We also have D'Agosta on the brink of death and Constance on trial for murder. Preston and Child are continuing to keep things fairly interesting with the storylines, though the wrap-up was a little less than desirable.
Dustin Manning
May 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Soo good. this one hearkened back to the first several books in the series. the relic, Cabinet, still life, the Diogenes trilogy! the good ones. I really enjoyed not being able to put it down. Now patience for the next Pendergast novel and the new Gideon series!!!
itchy
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soft
first time fun: laura hayward finally got a firsthand experience of the pendergast sop;
get well soon, vinnie;
wassup with constance, though?
Holly
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
The last half of this book was ridiculously boring.
I miss how exciting and interesting the earlier books in the series were. :/
Riju Ganguly
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When the sordid saga of Pendergast family and sibling rivalry had seemed to come to an end with The Book of the Dead (Pendergast, Book 7), and the promises of a new beginning were made through Cemetery Dance (Pendergast, Bk 9), we, the inveterate lovers of Special Agent Pendergast had great expectations. But that book, while vastly superior to the so-called Pendergast-trilogy books and the frankly-pathetic The Wheel of Darkness (Special Agent Pendergast), was a huge disappointment because Pender ...more
Ithlilian
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, mystery
After the horrendous last two Pendergast books by Preston and Child I was ready to give up the series for good. Thankfully, I didn't. Fever Dream reminded me why I love this series. After a string of 10 books I couldn't finish, I was starting to think I was just not in the mood for reading. It took a great book for me to realize that it wasn't reading I was against, just bad books, and Fever Dream is a great book.

Pendergast shows more emotion in Fever Dream than in any previous book in the serie
Amanda
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
The major attribute I love about Fever Dream is that it shows us Pendergast at his most vulnerable. He's hunting the person or persons responsible for murdering his wife a decade before, and he is allowing his emotions to get the better of him; a trait that Pendergast does not normally possess. As an avid fan, it's hard to see Pendergast so emotional, especially since we're not used to seeing him display such feelings. This case hits closer to home than what he's used to and now it's a fight to ...more
Rebecca (agirlirlblog, bekkilyn)
Though this book starts out in Africa 12 years before the current time, much of it takes place in Pendergast's home state of Louisiana as he and a friend set out to solve a new mystery related to his wife's death many years ago.

Naturally, there are some very strange things related to this case. Mysterious laboratories, people going insane, unusual illnesses, murder of course, and even some events concerning a lost or hidden painting by Audubon.

Because this case is so personal to Pendergast, he d
Sue
This is the latest of Preston & Child's Pendergast sagas. This time there is no paranormal influence on the outcome or happenings, just the wondrous skill of Pendergast himself. (Of course Constance Green does have a minor presence and her existence does bring many questions into play.)

Pendergast's wife died 12 years ago (who knew he had been married!). Now he accidentally discovers she was actually murdered. Then his obsessive search begins to find and punish the murderer(s). He involves fr
Sonia Cristina
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Já nem me lembrava das saudades que tinha do Pendergast, que personagem este mais caricato e original!
É um livro com mais de 500 páginas, mas voaram! Foi uma leitura muito boa e fluída, não houve momentos chatos - Pendergast não deixa - e o assunto foi sempre interessante, exceto, talvez, sobre Audubon e as aves, mas isso é só um pormenor sem importância.

Estou é muito curiosa por saber como Constance se vai safar agora. (view spoiler)
Jarek
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure, crime
Interesting plot, fast paced action, many of the great characters from the previous books appear again. The ending slightly disappoints because it's a cliff hanger, so you need to reach for the next novel in the series to find out how the whole story ends.
Misty
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book since Cabinet of Curiosities. Pendergast is such an enigma, it is always fun to dive into his past. I also loved the setting of the book taking place in the South. Cannot wait to read the next one!
Henry
Laura, Vincent, Constance and of course Special Agent Pendergast all back for a new series of horrific murders.
Especially enjoyed the emphasis on John James Audubon, although much was fiction.
Andrea Wright
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was great fun and I'm excited to read the next two that are part of the Helen series. I read this one in a day it was so consuming :)
H1N1 Virus related plots 2 37 Apr 22, 2011 08:04AM
Thought this was funny and topical 1 34 Sep 09, 2010 03:00PM
  • Terminal Freeze (Jeremy Logan, #2)
  • Altar of Eden
  • By the Sword (Repairman Jack, #12)
  • Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)
  • The Ark (Tyler Locke, #1)
  • This Green Hell (Alex Hunter, #3)
  • Ghost Country (Travis Chase, #2)
  • Ancients (Event Group Thriller #3)
Douglas Preston was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1956, and grew up in the deadly boring suburb of Wellesley. Following a distinguished career at a private nursery school--he was almost immediately expelled--he attended public schools and the Cambridge School of Weston. Notable events in his early life included the loss of a fingertip at the age of three to a bicycle; the loss of his two fr ...more
More about Douglas Preston...

Pendergast (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Relic (Pendergast, #1)
  • Reliquary (Pendergast, #2)
  • The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, #3)
  • Still Life With Crows (Pendergast, #4)
  • Brimstone (Pendergast, #5; Diogenes, #1)
  • Dance of Death (Pendergast, #6; Diogenes, #2)
  • The Book of the Dead (Pendergast, #7; Diogenes, #3)
  • The Wheel of Darkness (Pendergast, #8)
  • Cemetery Dance (Pendergast, #9)
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)

“D’Agosta had long ago learned, when working with Pendergast, to never get caught without two things: a gun and a flashlight.” 1 likes
“Well…” The old servant hesitated. D’Agosta wanted” 0 likes