Start by marking “Doomed Queens” as Want to Read:
Doomed Queens

Doomed Queens

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  1,842 Ratings  ·  238 Reviews
Illicit love, madness, betrayal—it isn't always good to be the queen.

Marie Antoinette, Anne Boleyn, and Mary, Queen of Scots. What did they have in common? For a while they were crowned in gold, cosseted in silk, and flattered by courtiers. But in the end, they spent long nights in dark prison towers and were marched to the scaffold where they surrendered their heads to th
Published October 28th 2008 by Three Rivers Press (first published January 1st 2008)

Heidi The Hippie Reader
A quirky yet educational list of Doomed Queens that is organized by time period. I learned a lot and was entertained- everything that I look for in a non-fiction book.

"While kings were also vulnerable to political upheaval... for the most part men pulled the strings at court. Therefore any woman blocking the way to power was a threat to be eliminated. Common ways to bump off an inconvenient consort included beheading, burning, drowning, poison, stabbing, strangling, starving, and forcing suicide
Melki
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the perks of royalty, it's usually not good to be the queen.

And here are fifty examples of ladies who found that out the hard way!

First of all, this is a beautiful book. From the reapers decorating the endpapers to the sepia-toned print to the illustrations, many by the author, it's lovely to behold. And the flaps feature paper dolls - with removable heads! (Well, I guess technically, ALL paper dolls have removable heads... Man, I think I might have wasted my childhood!)

Throughout hist
Wellington
This fun little book detailing the lives - and more importantly deaths - of fifty queens. While the book does talk about Anne Boleyn and Maria Antoinette, you could also see some names almost swept away by history like Cleopatra's sister. Written with a wry sense of humor with multiple choice tests to quiz what the reader remembers and the odd anecdote here and there, this book can enchant the history buff.

GoldGato
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers obsessed with royals
When you play at being a peasant, you risk being killed by one.

This was a fun book! Along with the usual biographies and methods-of-death for these once supreme leading ladies, the reader can also cut out Doomed Queens paper dolls, answer quizzes, download backgrounds for the dolls, and discover what type of Doomed Queen you might be. This is as interactive as a p-book can get.

It's not as though I enjoy reading about royal damsels who lost their lives and/or kingdoms, but this is such a beautifu
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
I don't even know how I found this. Probably browsing through the Goodreads recommendation section. But this was a great read. If you want an in depth historical account of each queen - look elsewhere, this has just enough information to get the point across and give the reader a good idea of what happened.

And for all those little girls who dreamed of being a princess? This is what could happen! Yikes.
Lauren
Dec 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends, family
Recommended to Lauren by: Kris Waldherr
Shelves: gossip-guide
Check out DOOMED QUEENS...

The holidays are approaching, soon the weather will cool down, and there will be nothing you want to do more than lay around in your best gown, your necks and fingers dripping with opulence as you sip exotic hot teas and cocoas. When you find this time for yourself this month you need to have a copy in-hand of Doomed Queens: Royal Women Who Met Bad Ends, From Cleopatra to Princess Di .

It is the type of book that, as you approach those last pages you think, "oh my! How
Chantal E. R. H.
While I learned about some women I had never heard of before, I noticed some glaring inaccuracies in the chapters about some of the ones I had, most notably Queen Joan of Naples. The book was also a little too gimmicky and I'm not sure what age group it was intended for? I did like the author's drawings and the quotes she used from the Doomed Queens themselves. Some chapters were definitely better than others. The chapters on Cleopatra's sisters Berenice and Arsinoe being two of the better ones. ...more
Heather Domin
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. Short, snarky, punchy, irreverent, all those others adjectives - I'm sure plenty of people trash it for that, the ones who can't bear to have history taken from its sacred pedestal and made relatable and humorous and relevant to (gasp!) pop culture. Whatever. I disagreed with a few bits of trivia (like Mary Boleyn's kids being Henry's bastards), but the writer clearly states in the intro AND the notes that, when faced with conflicting evidence, she went for the more salacious versi ...more
Mariana
What a lovely, entertaining book! But really, it's a fun book about a sad subject. I was interested in many of these women beforehand but after it, I discovered many more I wish to read about so kudos, Kris Waldherr! Also, I especially loved the illustriations and mini quizzes at the end of the chapters and the one at the end. I got: "10 to 19 points: Blue blood or no, you are more regal than most. Use your powers for good." So that's nice.
LynnDee (The Library Lush)
This is my kind of history book! Short, to the point & full of fun info. Kris Waldherr also has a sassy writing style which I love. Similar to Michael Farquhar, who I also adore.
Lorraine
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the history of certain queens.
A fascinating book! Kris Waldherr's Doomed Queens: Royal Woman Who Met Bad Ends, From Cleopatra to Princess Di presentation of women who are queens or who are to become queens but who "met bad ends" is short and to the point, the language used by the author is not formal, the illustrations include skeletons with crowns, and there is a short "digression" here and there with items of interest. I learned quite a bit of information. Definitely, my kind of non-fiction book! Love the illustrations!
Christina Sesok
I absolutely adore this book. It has quick wit and a gallows sense of humor. Waldherr seems to mock the fate of these doomed queens while also providing readers with the facts. She also has brief digressions in the margins where she explains various aspects of the stories she's telling, outlines a small family tree, etc.

One of the things I like the most about this book is how brief each section is. Waldherr usually spends no more than three pages on each "doomed queen," and that's with pictures
Heather
Oct 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Kris Waldherr’s book of “royal women who met bad ends” is a witty, fun look at the downside of being a female royal. I read the whole book in one sitting. This is a nice summary book of these 50 women. There are usually 2 pages devoted to each royal woman – and accordingly you don’t get an in-depth look at their lives – but you do get to know the important backstory that lead to their death. And their deaths are really what the whole book is about anyway.

This isn’t just a book for you to read, b
Sue Smith
You've got to love a cover that show heads rolling! Sheesh!

Actually, it's a good indicator for the rest of the book - short and sweet blurbs about some of the queens that have met with a tragic end. Apparently there are a lot of them. And all met their demise in a variety of forms, usually era dependent.

This is more of a book of short facts - quick synopsis of the lives and times of some very fortunate - or unfortunate (depending on your outlook) - girls who got the opportunity to call themsel
Lea
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, history
This is a short book, with little profiles on history's doomed queens, from the Antiquity to our days. It talks a bit about their lives (very little, leaves you wanting more but thankfully there's a helpful reading list at the end) but mostly it's about how they met their end (poisoning, guillotine, strangled, stabbed, suicide, childbirth, etc).

Yeah it's pretty morbid but thankfully Waldherr is quite funny so the book is not depressing at all.

I was definitely left wondering why there aren't movi
Caroline
We all know that when it comes to books that bring a bunch of interesting historical figures together in short, concise essays--there's not much deviation. You get a few interesting stories out of them and hopefully a little bit of accuracy. I can't say that Doomed Queens brings any new ground to the "genre". The familiar women like Marie Antoinette and Anne Boleyn get the same old treatment as the always do. Waldherr does bring a few lesser-known ladies--Thessalonike among them--to the forefron ...more
Kara
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-royal
An irreverent, lively written book on why no little girl should actually want to grow up to be queen. Waldherr manages to dig up queens who met grizzly ends from the biblical-era to the 20th century. She covers the well known, like Marie Antoinette, to the virtually unknown, like Cleopatra’s sister. I was surprised how many queens were killed by their own sons. Talk about ungrateful!

She gives a sympathetic, if brief, portrait of each royal lady, often giving modern day parallels to get across to
Josiphine/Tessa
Very interesting to read, though many of the pictures looked like a bad photoshop job (not the author's illustrations; those were lovely). It was fun reading about queens I'd never heard of before, but I didn't really like the way she portrayed the queens I did know about (namely Alexandra Romanov), so maybe ignorance is bliss. She also focused too often on the illicit (read: affairs) side of things for me. Though that frequently had a hand in these queens being doomed, she gave me more details ...more
Susan
(I had this marked for the wrong book: Doomed Queen Anne instead of Doomed Queens, so this review is just a correction.) Not as good as I was led to believe or expected, this book covers the deaths and events leading to the deaths of queens and other female royalty over the centuries. Each queen is given only a page or two, so the history is very superficial. In addition, the flippancy which is meant to be humorous just doesn't work. A bit of interesting trivia, but I don't recommend it.
Sara
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been putting off this book for some time (As I've put off all the books I own for those that I get from the library) and I was going through a reading slump and I found some advice that told me to read a book I knew would go well. This one did. It was a light hearted read and covered a lot of interesting women (Not just the ones that we all know about) though it did have a few inaccuracies that bugged me a little but it cured my slump *fingers crossed* so I reccommend it for any historian ...more
Kristin Vaskie
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All in all I thought this book was fantastic! I loved learning about queens I've never even heard about and enjoyed the portions about the well known ones. It is a pretty easy read and has no problem keeping your attention, I especially enjoyed the little chapter quizzes. I will say that some sections were too short and I wish the author would have written a little more about the queen she focused on and I may have seen one or two inaccuracies in there, but overall this was an excellent book tha ...more
Sibil
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an intersting reading, and it was also funny, despite the argument. The author is really hironic and cynic and her style is captivating. I loved the quiz at the end of every chapter, they were hilarious!
And Waldherr do a really good job because she doesn't speak only about the famous ones (or infamous) but she speaks also about the litlle know or unknown queens of the past. And her drawnings are pretty good.
Freesiab (Bookish Review)
There's no reason not to love this book. Your already reading it because you're interested in the subject matter. It's a quick, witty, comprehensive, starter history book. However, it's something a newcomer or history buff will like! You can read it straight through, set it down or skip around through the book. I think you are getting what you expect when you look at the six of the book and read the description. I really enjoyed it as a light read for a history buff.
Chris
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although Waldherr plays a bit fast and loose with facts (Louis XVI followed his grandfather onto the throne, for instance, not his father), this is a fun, snarky, easy-reading romp through well known and obscure queens of history. Some of the graphic elements are a bit fuzzy, but generally speaking, this is exactly what it appears to be when you pick it up and flip through.
Amanda
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a great idea, but it would have actually been a reliable book if a majority of it wasn't based on "popular" history (generalizations and vague ideas that stem from historical propaganda instead of historical fact)and actually based off some truth. I suppose the drama with these quasi-historical skits are good to help someone learn some history in an entertaining way though.
Eve
Mar 13, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Perfunctory, flippant and boring. With such great subject material, how could this have happened? The author barely scratched the surface of fifty queens/leaders from antiquity to the present day, and then buffed out the scrape with a feather. I got as far as Henry VIII’s wives and then quit. I want my time back.
Savina
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-owned, history, crime
My third book read from my Book Jar.
It was fascinating to read about other Queens throughout history. Some of who, I've never heard of such as Empress Dowager Hu, Blanche of Bourbon, Juana of Castile, and Mangammal. Though the book was short, it did provide some fantastic insight into how they lived and died. Now I'd like to read more about some of these Queen's.
Marisa
Dec 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was short, sweet and to the point. I liked that because it gave me a few people that I wouldnt mind reading more about without me having to read anything that was boring. I really enjoyed the "cautionary morals" the author added at the end of each section.
♥Mary♦Sweet♣Dreams♠Are♥Made♦of♣This♠
This book was pretty neat. It is beautifully illustrated, has family trees, good advice, quizzes, and more. If you want to make learning history fun, then go pick up this book. It is good to know about the world.
Kenya
very quick read, quirky yet informative.
  • Notorious Royal Marriages: A Juicy Journey Through Nine Centuries of Dynasty, Destiny, and Desire
  • Royalty's Strangest Characters: Extraordinary But True Tales from 2,000 Years of Mad Monarchs and Raving Rulers (Strangest series)
  • A Treasury of Royal Scandals: The Shocking True Stories of History's Wickedest, Weirdest, Most Wanton Kings, Queens, Tsars, Popes, and Emperors
  • Mad Kings & Queens
  • In Triumph's Wake: Royal Mothers, Tragic Daughters, and the Price They Paid for Glory
  • Sovereign Ladies: The Six Reigning Queens of England
  • Royal Babylon: The Alarming History of European Royalty
  • Sex with the Queen: 900 Years of Vile Kings, Virile Lovers, and Passionate Politics
  • Kings and Queens of England
  • Royal Panoply: Brief Lives of the English Monarchs
  • Uppity Women of Medieval Times
  • She Wolves: The Notorious Queens of Medieval England
  • To Be a Princess: The Fascinating Lives of Real Princesses
  • Queen, Empress, Concubine: Fifty Women Rulers from the Queen of Sheba to Catherine the Great
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens
  • Cupid and the King: Five Royal Paramours
  • The Ring and the Crown: A History of Royal Weddings 1066-2011
  • Ladies in Waiting: From the Tudors to the Present Day
the short version:
Kris Waldherr is an author, illustrator, and designer whose art has been exhibited in the National Museum of Women in the Arts. She is the author of Doomed Queens, The Lover’s Path and The Book of Goddesses, and creator of The Goddess Tarot. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.

the long version:
I'm the author, illustrator and designer of numerous books including Doomed Queens, The Lov
More about Kris Waldherr...

“Her unusual dark hair and sultry eyes made her stand out--- Anne Boleyn was Tudor England's Angelina Jolie amid a sea of Reese Witherspoons.” 6 likes
“The Executioner shall not have much trouble, for I have a little neck. I shall be known as La Reine Sans Tete” 6 likes