Start by marking “Good-bye, Curtis” as Want to Read:
Good-bye, Curtis

Good-bye, Curtis

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  84 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Curtis has been delivering mail for forty-two years. Today is his last day. And all the mailboxes along his route are filled with surprises.

There is a drawing from Debbie, Dennis, and Donny. There is a bottle of aftershave from the Johnsons. There is a small, fat book from Mr. Porter.

But the real surprise is at the very last house on the very last street. There is no doubt
Published September 15th 1995 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Good-bye, Curtis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good-bye, Curtis

Rebecca
Feb 21, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is sweet story that talks about members in our community. Mail carriers are members of the community and children in first grades or upper grades have hard time relating mail carriers as a member of our society. Not only it will be good to introduce who belongs in our community, but it is also good to talk about how everyone should be thankful for what people around us do for everyone. This book touch my heart and I definitely recommend this book to a second grade parent.
Amanda Funnell
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: values, character
Powerful concept of the effects an "average Curtis" can have on a community.
David
Nov 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Good-bye, Curtis by Kevin Henkes, illustrated by Marisabina Russo, follows a retiring mail carrier on his final day on the route, receiving gifts and appreciation from the residents on his route.

On his last day on his route, retiring mail carrier Curtis encounters surprise gifts in the mailboxes. These included a chocolate cupcake with sprinkles, a drawing from Debbie, Dennis and Donny, aftershave from the Johnsons, cards, candy and cookies, plus hugs, handshakes and kisses. At the last house, C
Alyx Chamberlain
Good-Bye Curtis is about a man named Curtis. Curtis has been a mailman for 42 years. On his last day of work before is retirement; he finds surprises and gifts in each of the mailboxes he delivers too. Eventually he is surprise by all of his friends with a party, thanking him for his service all the years.

This book is extremely heartwarming. It introduces the idea of doing special little things for people to show them that you appreciate them. In a younger classroom, the book could be used to in
Traci Bold
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
'GOOD-BYE, CURTIS' by author Kevin Henkes is not your standard picture book. Nope, it about an older adult which is what makes this book so great. It opens up conversation about long term jobs that people can have and the relationships that develop during that time.

Young people will understand the special bond Curtis, the mailman has with so many people after 42 years as a mailman.

This book is sweet, endearing and the illustrations show the love the people have for Curtis. Illustrations by Maris
Christina
I would use this book if there is someone in the school that is retiring or when there is a discussion about retirement since the main character of the book is retiring from his job as a postal worker. This book is appropriate for primary grades due to the heavy use of illustrations and large text font. It shows how one individual can play a large role in the community and can touch a lot of people. This is demonstrated when all of Curtis' family, friends, and customers come together to surprise ...more
Shira Burns
Nov 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is by the famous children's literature author Kevin Henkes. This story is about a letter carrier named Curtis who is retiring. The people who Curtis brings letters to shower him with gifts and/or handshakes and hugs to show their appreciation for him delivering their mail. This book should be shared with pre-k students in teaching them about community helpers and their contributions to the community.
Diana Thomsen
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
What a sweet and unique book! The story of saying good-bye to a beloved mail carrier when he retires, this one talks about something I wish I could actually experience...people don't stay in jobs this long anymore, and I don't even know my mail carrier's name. What's the point when the face changes every year? While the illustrations were very simplistic and I don't think the book was formatted as well as it could have been, it's still worth the read.
Jan 28, 2009 rated it liked it
This book had a nice sentiment, but it really didn't have that much of an affect on me. I liked the premise, but I wasn't moved. The illustrations were nice, but nothing astounding. I might recommend this book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Josiah
Sep 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
This is a sweetly told story about an old postman, forty-two years on the job, finally completing the final round of his long career. It's very lightly told with some moments that will evoke smiles, but nothing that will conjure up lacrimation for any readers that I know. This might be a very good story for the youngest grade-school readers.
Charles Norris
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This story was really good. I thought it was so colorful and so happy. I thought it was great and I especially loved the end because it was so funny that Curtis was wearing a Hawaiian shirt once he was retired.
Julie Taylor
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a mail carrier who is retiring.
Cheyenne
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This book was okay. It might be good to use right before teaching students how to write Thank You letters.
MaryAnn
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story of appreciation for letter carriers, some of the most under appreciated public servants. And a vision of a community we where we would all like to live.
Matthew
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final day of a mail carrier's 42 year career is punctuated by many well wishes and fond farewells. Really nicely done. A heartwarming story from beginning to end.
Nathan
Apr 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
THE GUY LOOKS LIKE ROY WILLIAMS I HATE COACH ROY
Michael
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book to read for the younger grades as part of the goodbye activity.
Taylor Jones Coon
Mar 19, 2015
Abigail Files
Dec 08, 2013
Marin
rated it did not like it
Dec 09, 2007
Margie
Mar 27, 2008
Sandra
Mar 20, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Kevin Henkes became an author/illustrator when he was nineteen years old, working on a card table in his bedroom.
Today he's the author of many award-winning picture books and novels.
More about Kevin Henkes...