Start by marking “Histoire de chambres” as Want to Read:
Histoire de chambres

Histoire de chambres

De l'Antiquité à nos jours, M. Perrot esquisse une généalogie de la chambre, creuset de la culture occidentale, et explore quelques-unes de ses formes : la chambre du roi (Louis XIV à Versailles), la chambre d'hôtel, du garni ou du palace, la chambre conjugale, la chambre d'enfant, celle des domestiques, ou encore celle du malade et du mourant. Nid et nœud, la chambre est ...more
Paperback, La Librairie du XXIe siècle, 444 pages
Published September 3rd 2009 by Seuil (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Histoire de chambres, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Histoire de chambres

Start your review of Histoire de chambres
Julio César
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una historiadora de raza. Como todo francés, solo habla de Francia y solo cita a autores franceses. Preo es una obra arrolladora, nunca pensé que hubiera tantos tipos de "alcobas" (qué palabra graciosa, en francés es chambre, que también se puede traducir como "cámara" (en fotografía) o como habitación (el inglés room, aclara la autora, tiene un sentido más amplio).
Me gustaron las cosas de los escritores, Proust, George Sand, así como las Conclusiones, donde reflexiona acerca de la disminución
mylogicisfuzzy
This is a good book in what it does cover - the history of the bedroom but, at the same time, it is really limited. Originally published in France in 2009, the English translation was only published in late 2018 and it could have really done with an update, considering how our relationship with our mobile phones, computers and tablets has affected our sleeping patterns and what we do in our bedrooms. Secondly, and this is my real problem, I'm not entirely sure why this book was translated. ...more
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
So there were parts of this book that were REALLY interesting and then other parts where I found myself wondering if I would continue much longer. I picked it up because I thought I would learn a lot - and overall I did. I had never contemplated the idea of a bedroom being almost a "status symbol" throughout history, but it really was. A lot of the book focused on the role of the bedroom in French culture (not shocking since the author is French and I was reading a translated copy), but since ...more
Mike Cross
Interesting, but leaned way too much on literary references, which the author treats as fact too often. Because it was originally written in French, it is extremely French focused and the figures do not always come through in the translation. Not bad, but not great.
Kathleen
Okay, first of all, this isn't a history so much as it is a collection of anecdotes and philosophies surrounding the bedroom and the idea thereof. Or maybe it is a history, just separated out into different chunks, like a woman's room as isolation or freedom, or the king's bedroom as the center of the universe, or the bedroom as the sickroom or death room, or the prison cell. The title bills it as a sort of daily life thing, but that's not what it is at all.

There is definitely way more
Chasc
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
Déçue par la faible densité du livre, très descriptif. Du coup, facile à lire. Mais j'avais l'impression que le seul effort de conceptualisation avait été fait en intro et je trouve ça court.

Des histoires, des personnages intéressants que j'ai envie de mieux connaître.
- Germaine Aziz, Les Chambres closes = témoignage autobio, devenue journaliste
- Gabrielle Suchon, (1632-1703), ex-religieuse qui s'illustre par des traités. Femme-philosophe ?
- Lucie Baud, qui mène une grêve dans un "couvent de
Dec 28, 2015

• Against Nature
  • The Story of Jane: The Legendary Underground Feminist Abortion Service
  • The Genius of Birds
  • Stars Between the Sun and Moon: One Woman's Life in North Korea and Escape to Freedom
  • Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years
  • Ghost Wall
  • The Cult of Trump: A Leading Cult Expert Explains How the President Uses Mind Control
  • Let Love Have the Last Word
  • I, Claudius (Claudius, #1)
  • Chez soi
  • Fables, Vol. 21: Happily Ever After
  • Fables, Vol. 22: Farewell
  • Russia: What Everyone Needs to Know
  • Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth
  • After the Apocalypse
  • ESL Games for the Classroom: 101 Interactive Activities to Engage Your Students with Minimal Prep
  • A Hero of Our Time
  • A History of the Bible: The Book and Its Faiths
Michelle Perrot is professor emeritus at Paris VII and one of France’s most distinguished cultural historians. She has received numerous awards and honors in France and abroad for her published histories of work, prisons, private life, and women.