Start by marking “Escaping the Matrix: Setting Your Mind Free to Experience Real Life in Christ” as Want to Read:
Escaping the Matrix: Setting Your Mind Free to Experience Real Life in Christ

Escaping the Matrix: Setting Your Mind Free to Experience Real Life in Christ

In some way or another most of us are "stuck"-in a secret sin we can't control or maybe by an inability to stand up for ourselves.
In Escaping the Matrix, authors Gregory A. Boyd and Al Larson use the vehicle of The Matrix film trilogy to argue that our struggles with habitual sin, thought patterns, damaged emotions, and phobias happen because we do not know how to take cha
Published April 1st 2005 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about Escaping the Matrix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escaping the Matrix

Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all Christians
This is a really powerful book... it may be a bit difficult to get into, but there are some amazing truths in here. Most significant is the fact that we think experientially, not abstractly... and therefore any healing we want to accomplish needs to happen through experiences (even imaginary ones) rather than just piling on more abstract knowledge. It was really awesome how the authors showed that we can work together with God to set our minds free. Definitely recommended for all Christians!
Megan Westra
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is hard to follow if you haven't seen The Matrix. It's very conversationally written, and Boyd makes some sweeping assumptions at points. The exercises at the ends of the chapters are thought provoking though, which is why I give it two stars.

Trevor Lloyd
I like the fundamental principle behind this and think the analogy with the Matrix just about works. But I find some of the actual neurological and cognitive stuff a little too technical and mechanical and unable to know how sound its scientific foundation is. I think the principle works biblically and theologically though and some use of insight from neurology is surely valid - as with other biological and psychological insights. Loved the stuff clearly written by Boyd.
Joe Moore
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Joe by: familiarity with author
Shelves: have-read
This book was great! I already knew that 'renewing my mind' was a key commandment--but this book actually helps me understand the process in a new way. If I can practice 10%, I will be a better person for reading this book.
Luca Hersberger
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ausbruch aus unseren Schemata. Wenn Schematherapie von einem Nicht-Schematherapeuten so treffend wie nur möglich beschrieben wird, dann in diesem Buch!
Tami
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book that perfectly coincides with techniques I've been using in counseling, with my non-religious counselor. These techniques are sound & they really do work!
Jill
Aug 24, 2010 rated it liked it
don't know about all the neuro stuff, but interesting and helpful
Jonathan Green
Mar 22, 2014
Lori Neff
Jan 12, 2019
Roger
rated it did not like it
May 18, 2013
Jan 01, 2014
Stephen Pate
Nov 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Gregory A. Boyd is the founder and senior pastor of Woodland Hills Church in St. Paul, Minn., and founder and president of ReKnew. He was a professor of theology at Bethel College (St. Paul, Minn.) for sixteen years where he continues to serve as an Adjunct Professor.

Greg is a graduate of the University of Minnesota (BA), Yale Divinity School (M.Div), and Princeton Theological Seminary (PhD). Gre
“We can think of the Matrix as the total web of lies we’ve internalized that keep us living in contradiction to our true self— the self that is defined by God through Christ alone.” 0 likes