Start by marking “Haunted and Bewitched Ireland” as Want to Read:
Haunted and Bewitched Ireland

Haunted and Bewitched Ireland

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews

Haunted and Bewitched Ireland contains twenty-one classic tales of Irish ghosts and witches that reveal as much about the complex cultural history of the land as about the universal ability of otherworldy phenomena to capture the imagination. Part one focuses on the stories of ghosts, wraiths, spirits, and spectres who visit the living, from County Limerick to County Down.
Published August 25th 2008 by Fall River Press (first published March 24th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Haunted and Bewitched Ireland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunted and Bewitched Ireland

Katarina
Mar 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I started reading this as a sort of throw-back to my 6th grade reading habits, when I discovered folk tales. Irish folktales are often classified as ghost stories, which I generally avoid, but I enjoyed them anyway.

I thought the tone of the first part was rather interesting-- it's a non-fiction setup, but stories about ghosts and wraiths tend to read as fiction. Not to knock non-fiction, but it also tends to be more dry, so I enjoyed the ghosts and wraiths a lot: they're interesting, and it is
Athena
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I will start with the fact that I am not a fan of short stories; no matter what, all the stories seem to blend together only there are different names and some minor changes but ultimately the story remains the same, which makes for a redundant book.

The premise of the book however I did like; haunted castles, ghosts, witches and other creatures of Irish folklore.

I do have a few favorites from the book:

The Arny Woman; A Night at the Ram's Horn; The Touch of the Dead; and Alexander Colville, The
Debbie
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
I really enjoyed this quick read. A dear friend bought it for me and I enjoyed the history and the stories. These are the kinds of stories you would here when you would have a slumber party when you were younger. A very good read.
Kevin Johnson
An interesting book to be reading near Halloween as a sort of historical "real" ghost story book. It read to me a like a collection of fantasy stories from role playing days, but believed by a lot of people to be actual history.
Trine
Whether or not one believes in ghosts, the stories recounted in this book in the grand tradition of Irish storytelling at its best all make for a very spooky read.
Very thought-provoking read and essential reading for anyone interested in the legends and ghost stories of Ireland.
Kristina
Nov 02, 2009
Anne
Mar 15, 2013
119378
BOB CURRAN is an educational psychologist in Coleraine University. His interests are broad-ranging but are focused especially on history and story. He has written several books, including The Field Guide to Irish Fairies, The Wolfhound Guide to the Shamrock, Creatures of Celtic Myth, The Truth about the Leprechaun.
More about Bob Curran...