Start by marking “The Best Women's Travel Writing 2010: True Stories from Around the World” as Want to Read:
The Best Women's Travel Writing 2010: True Stories from Around the World

The Best Women's Travel Writing 2010: True Stories from Around the World

(The Best Women's Travel Writing)

Since publishing the original edition of A Woman’s World in 1995, Travelers’ Tales has been the recognized leader in women’s travel literature. The Best Women’s Travel Writing 2010 is the sixth book in an annual series that presents stimulating, inspiring, and uplifting adventures from women who have traveled to the ends of the earth to discover new places, peoples, and fa ...more
Published March 16th 2010 by Travelers' Tales (first published February 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Women's Travel Writing 2010, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Women's Travel Writing 2010

Iowa City Public Library
I recently picked up the 2010 edition of The Best Women’s Travel Writing, a work that comes out yearly. It had come to my attention due to there being contributions from three authors who are currently in Iowa City: Kendra Greene, Marisa Handler and Jennifer Percy. It’s also edited by another Iowa City author, Stephanie Elizondo Griest, who’s works have been in other travel compilations.

While I enjoyed reading it, I have to admit that it was a little hit-and-miss for me. The idea of ‘travel’ can
Pei Pei
I liked some of these essays and really didn't like others, but mostly I was a little annoyed at the very short length of all the pieces (I imagine there was some kind of maximum length allowed for submissions), which prevented me from fully investing in many of the storytellers and their experiences, even though it did make the book very easy to read and good for the beach or a plane (perhaps the primary objective). I'm not very familiar with travel writing as a genre, so I can't say whether th ...more
Carolyn
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Editor Stephanie Griest made some fabulous choices with a variety of attitudes from travelers from mostly America traveling to equally different locations. These women all have much in common with Cheryl Strayed of "Wild" fame and her "Tiny Beautiful Things". Our eyes and ethics are opened wide when we move into the wider circle of our space!

Each is different. There are a variety of adventures with food, cooking, friendships, religions, and needless to say, "something for everyone"! These littl
Lauren Montgomery
All I can say is I loved this book and I hope I get to write something for it someday. I see much of myself in these women, although I know traveling isn't something I'm going to do full-time for much longer (yes, I consider living in Singapore as 'traveling'). The stories really captured what for me is a passion: going new places, learning new things, seeing the beauty of the world.

Please read it!
Christine
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
The women who write these stories are extremely daring - like they climb mountains in the dark so they won't sink into the softer, daytime snow, while roped to other climbers!

I may not get a lot of practical travel tips, but I am hoping for some vicarious

adventure!

Still reading this incredible collection. Very hardy women - I don't think I measure up!
Gail Fligstein
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short stories can be so satisfying. An author can paint a scene with complex characters in a relatively short time. Such talent! I did not approve of each author's values (leaving loved ones on a whim, putting themselves in potentially dangerous situations) but I was amazed and excited by their courage.
Leah Coffin
Apr 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Uneven writing - a lot of the stories tend towards the Anna Leonowens oh-aren't-these-exotic-people-so-quaint! end of experience - but when these women get it right, they really, really do. Fun and a quick read.
Lindsey
Feb 05, 2011 rated it liked it
A really pretty decent collection of stories from female travelers. Some of the stories were a lot higher quality than others, and several of the writers seemed to have little grasp of the cultures they were writing about experiencing, but overall most of them were quite good.
Kate
Jan 31, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kobo, wbc-12
Some of the essays were a lot better than others. I felt like too many of them were "I was a backpacker travelling around and staying with a host family" themed.
Monica
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute little book full of neat travel stories. Makes me want to write a short story of my own.
Lucija
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
It's a good lunch time read. Nothing extraordinary.
Christine
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Again, not an unbiased review...I have an essay on Vietnam in this collection. But there are a lot of hilarious/thought-provoking pieces here!
Stephanie
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great travel tales from all over the world. They have stirred my wonderlust and I am thinking more and more about South America and Africa, places I have never been.
Melissa Cavanaugh
Jul 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Nice mix of voices and locations.
Tracy
Aug 27, 2013 rated it liked it
...good reads but truly, there are many other travel books i would be drawn to rather than this one...
Cassandra
Apr 10, 2011
Ali
Aug 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

The Best Women's Travel Writing (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Best Women's Travel Writing, Volume 11: True Stories from Around the World
  • The Best Women's Travel Writing, Volume 10: True Stories from Around the World
  • The Best Women's Travel Writing, Volume 9: True Stories from Around the World