Start by marking “Queen of Dragons (Drakon #3)” as Want to Read:
Queen of Dragons (Drakon #3)

Queen of Dragons (Drakon #3)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  2,482 Ratings  ·  180 Reviews
Hidden among the remote hills of eighteenth-century England lives a powerful clan of shape-shifters who’ve become the stuff of myths and legends. They are the drákon—supersensual creatures with the ability to Turn from human to smoke to dragon. Now a treacherous new enemy threatens to destroy their world of magic and glittering power.

For centuries, they thought themselve
Published December 26th 2007 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Queen of Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen of Dragons

Leah

I was originally going to give this book just 1 star, but I decided to go with 1.5 stars. Why, you ask? Because I liked the last 25 pages or so. I'm a sucker for a good ending. And, since the ending was the only part of the book I actually enjoyed, I felt that it deserved an extra half star.

The plot in this book is weak. In fact, I can't really see that there is much of a plot. Aside for the minimal page time given the humans hunting the dragons, the book seemed to only consist of Maric
Eastofoz
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dràkon fans & dragon lovers
Shana Abé doesn’t know the word “nice” nor does she know words like “good” or “bad”. You know those words that you see all the time to describe some regular thing or other making you wonder why the author can’t be a tad more creative in their writing style. Well with Abé you’ll never have that problem. She can make the most mundane, humdrum and inconsequential thing explode into a freakin’ firecracker of colour. The woman could convince you that ironing and sweeping are an intricate ballet of sw ...more
Lady Claire, Marchioness of Fancy Pants
This is the third book of the Drakon series, and it appears that the books decline in goodness. The first book The Smoke Thief was really good, and the next book The Dream Thief was okay.

I didn't finish Queen of Dragons. I got about half through, and I had to keep forcing myself to pick it up. It just kept going on and on, and I didn't care at all. The characters could all die, and I would have been okay with that because at least the book would have finally been over.
Anastasiaadamov
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
The first book of this series was something different from things I was reading. It is historical romance, with all the ladies and lords and proper etiquette in England long past.
Add fantastical elements dragons!
The second book of the series got me hooked.
This book had me in suspenseful reading binge. I loved center characters. This book was less about romance and more about intrigue and mystery. It made me feel like the build up from first two books is coming together finally.
Only it ended on
Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
I am loving this series. I am going to quote from the book to try and explain just what the Drakon in this world are, because I think it is important that the reader of these books realizes that these are not PEOPLE/HUMANS. I am surprised that the reviews of these books are so critical of how few choices the females have and how dominant the males are. And this pertains to the main characters, not the entire world of the drakon because most of them have total choice in their romances and marriag ...more
Brownbetty
Eh.

Three books in, I am becoming unable to escape the conviction that this author thinks a man being so turned on by you he just! can't! control himself! is very dashing and romantic, and a high compliment. So far, all of her heroines have avoided rape, but the dude in this one does a lot of "We're meant to be together, you can't escape that!" and he doesn't mean that fate will bring them together; he's talking about his goons. The romantic declaration of feelings on his part is when he basical
Maureen
Apr 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Drakon series by Shana Abe is doing a curious thing to my reading habits. I am normally a romance genre fan but I am finding that I am as interested, if not more so, in the fantasy genre story in this series as I am in the romance.

As a romance book, Queen of Dragons was not as impactful for me as The Dream Thief was. Maybe that's because that while Kimber, the hero in Queen of Dragons is very nice, he just doesn't compare to Zane from Dream Thief. (Thankfully, Zane does make a brief appearan
Carmen
Feb 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
Shana Abé hates cabbage. I know this because she makes her main characters hate cabbage in every book so far.

In other news, this time the protagonist, Kimber, is not a rapist. That's good. Actually, he and Maricara don't even have sex until page 203. And she has a spine, stands up to everyone, proves her strength and resourcefulness. I think Abé is trying to lead up to a "women finally gain some rights" plot that might appear somewhere in the final book. But I'm not holding my breath.

Plus point
Rebecca ♥ Warner, Kishan, Magnus ♥
This book didnt really hold the excitement the first two did. There was a story outside of the romance involving hunters, but it wasnt really much of a focus. I would say most of the story revolved around Maricara and the tension between her and the drakon of Darkfrith. Her ways are so different that it takes a long time for them to trust each other.

This was the shortest book so far and didnt have enough time to really focus on either the story or the romance. There wasnt as much of a connectio
Jeanine
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Queen of Dragons is the third book in the Drakon series. This is the story of Kimber (Rue and Kit's eldest son) and Princess Maricana of the Zaharen. Again, Shana Abe tells a beautiful story. She implements a new group of people, hunters who are dead set on killing the Drakon. I gave Queen of Dragons four stars because it took a while for things to pick up. In her previous books of the Drakon, I was pulled in from start to finish and so sad once the book ended.

Although, I am not sure if it fair
Melinda Jane Harrison
My favorite of the series. Really good.
HÜLYA
Apr 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
İnsan,Ejderha,Duman formuna giren muhteşem varlıkların kitabı bitti..18.YY.İngillteresinde geçen bu seriyi çok seviyorum..Ejderha Kraliçesi serinin 3.kitabı idi..Goodreads Puanı 5/3,65

Seri beş kitaptan oluşuyor devamı gelecek mi bilmiyorum..Serinin diğer kitaplarına göre biraz daha vasattı sanki..Son okuduğum Rüya Avcısı bana göre daha güzeldi...Bu serinin bir talihsizliği de farklı yayın evinden çıkmaları..İlk kitap Duman Hırsızı Erko Yayın'dan çıkmış..Seri bir bütün bence olaylar birbirini tak
Jaylee
The writing in this book is beautiful. It is lush, rich... I just wanted to bury myself in it like warm blanket or decadent cake. Unfortunately, like cake, the story was all sugar and no substance.

The female protagonist in this story had no agency in the romantic plotline. Every single romantic scene is told from the man's point of view, about how she is "his" and he wants to possess her, wants to literally lock her up in a room in his basement to keep her there. She is described as being powerf
Solace Winter
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
The third novel of the series is about the woman who seems to be the strongest of the drakon race she is a part of. Traveling to Darkfrith to meet the other drakon for herself the story is about the troubles she meets along the way.

Plot: The plot is about a group of men that are killing off the drakon, though you do not actually realize what the plot is about until halfway through. Before that it seemed to be about how Maricara could possibly be destroying cattle and churches and… well, I do not
Fani *loves angst*
I generally don't like the 'fated-to-be-mated' theme because I consider it a gamble that few authors manage to actually win. The reason is that it can easily turn into an unavoidable union between two people who are happy to find some attraction between them to ease their way, rather than a passionate, emotional love story. This book only served to reinforce this opinion of mine.

Kimber is the alpha of the English Drakon now that his parents have gone missing while Maricara is the alpha of the C
Booker
So... I found out far too late into the book that this was probably a romance novel written by someone who generally writes romance novels. Keep this in mind, as I do not particularly like romance as a genre. Good execution can make me enjoy it, mind, and I'm generally fine with romance in a story if it makes sense, though preferably when it's not the main plot.

Because of this, I'm specifically writing this review to avoid commenting too much on the love story, aside to comment that lust is not
Beth (moonivy)
Dec 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who like a fantasy/romance mix.
Read 12/31-1/1/08.

Queen of Dragons is the latest book in the Drakon series. Set in 18th century England and Romania, the story is a romance/fantasy mixture about the Drakon - folk who tend the land, love their tribe and shape-shift into dragons. In this volume, Princess Maricara of the Romanian Drakon arrives
in the quiet English shire of Earl Kimber Langford and sparks fly. Maricara has come to England to warn these distant Drakon cousins of great danger, an
evil that hunts the Drakon, only to
Catherine
I don't think I've read another series where the paranormal species it's about has PISSED ME OFF as much as these Drakons. The females are OK, I suppose…at least in the previous two books. Not so much in this one. But the guys are (and there's really only one word for it) assholes. Their domineering mentality over the female characters makes me feel violent, and I fail to see how the heroine’s could overlook that and fall in love with the so called ’heroes’ anyway.

I mean, for Christ sake, this
Kirttimukha TheCat
this would have been much better as a short story. Perhaps in a compendium of shifter stories. This book was short on plot. There was quite a bit of discussion among the characters and quite a few descriptions, but neither of these furthered the plot. I don't feel like I've learned anything new of Maricara, and Kimber appears to be a spoiled child. I really enjoyed the previous two books, or I wouldn't have read this one. I was very disappointed. I'll be thinking twice before committing to the n ...more
Wicked Incognito Now
This installment of the Drakon series was not my favorite of the three I've read so far. Actually, I would give this book three stars because the plot is almost nonexistent. However, Abe's writing style enthralls me. It's dreamy and enchanting and unlike almost any other style I've encountered. So my enjoyment of the this novel was not affected by the lack of plot. Therefore, four stars.
Theresa
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys fantasy romance.
Shelves: 2008, fantasy-pnr
I thoroughly enjoyed this entry in the Drákon series. It was fast paced and set up plots to take the reader through several more entries in the series. Of all the characters introduced in the series so far, Maricara, Kimber, and Kimber's brother, Rhys, are my favorites. I can't wait for the next book to see where the author takes them.
Lily
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I didn't like it as much as I liked the first two books, but it still was a captivating read.
Caitlyn Stephens
It was pretty good, just felt like the plot lost got very confusing without enough details sometimes and then overloaded with too many details at other times.
Sela Ordaz
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first I thought, it would be weird to be reading about these characters and even though I was trying to catch up with the years, in the end. I enjoyed... a lot.
Jane Barry
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Fantasy

If you need or wish escape the stresses of facing you, even if only a short respite, this book--the series--will provide that relief.

Although merely a reader, you soar the skies with the Draken. You feel what they feel. It helps that, for a kindle edition, there are not a multitude of misspellings and grammatical errors. Plus, I didn't notice any difference from the printed book and the digital book.
Keely
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book but just picking it up midway through the series I felt like I was missing out on some important details I would need to know to really understand everything that was going on. I also feel that this book's ending really didn't wrap up most of what it should have even being part of a series. Sadly, I did not get enthralled with it to go back to read the first two books in the series, nor will I read more.
Leisa Feda
I just didn't become involved with the characters. In a book you like the characters or hate them. In this book I didn't care.
The ending leaves the opening for the next story and I'm not sure I even care to find out what happens next. That's unusual for me!
Kym
DNF

A novel about dragons and their conflict with humans. I didn’t like the female protagonist. The prose comes across as passive.
Diane
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
of the 3 in the series so far I think this was my least favorite - but still a good story and love her writing! Onward!
Serena
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super good. At first not sure where going but kept me turning pages. Not as much mystery and a slight cliff hanger and full of drama.
  • Moon's Web (A Tale of the Sazi, #2)
  • King of Sword and Sky (Tairen Soul, #3)
  • Night's Rose (Night's Rose #1)
  • Sea Fever (Children of the Sea, #2)
  • Rion (Pendragon Legacy #2)
  • Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose, #2)
  • The Dragon Master (Dragon, #3)
  • Dragon's Rise (Shadow of the Dragon, #3)
  • Kiss of Fury (The Dragonfire Novels, #2)
  • Protector of the Flight (The Summoning #3)
  • Dragon Lovers (Includes: Guardians #2.5)
  • Gustav Gloom and the Four Terrors (Gustav Gloom, #3)
  • Prince of Swords (Children of the Sun, #3)
  • Suddenly
  • Black Magic
Shana Abé was born in Texas. She spent much of her childhood living in Colorado, with a brief stint in Mexico as a foreign exchange student, and, at age seventeen, lived in Japan as a model. Throughout her childhood, Abé wrote, completing what she calls "The Silliest Romance Novel Ever" during her free time during modeling shoots. Her writing focused on romance, as those were the types of books th ...more
More about Shana Abe

Drakon (5 books)
  • The Smoke Thief (Drakon, #1)
  • The Dream Thief (Drakon #2)
  • The Treasure Keeper (Drakon, #4)
  • The Time Weaver (Drakon, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“I didn’t want to be in love with you. I didn’t want to believe in love at all. It’s never happened to me before. And to be perfectly frank, I’m still not entirely happy about the whole thing. I think—it’s going to be exhausting. You’re domineering and devious and I’ve noticed that whenever we’re not kissing, I wish we were.” Her voice had grown nearly plaintive; she stopped and cleared her throat. “It’s a damnable situation. I don’t know what to do about it.”
He eyed her from the chair. “I’m pigheaded, too. Pray don’t forget that.”
“Certainly not. It was the next thing I was going to mention.”
“My sweet, your notion of love is unique, to say the least. I wonder that you haven’t written me sonnets already. Something like ‘Ode to the Blackguard.”
34 likes
“He’d never liked tea. It seemed somewhat ridiculous to him, to interrupt his day with miniature cakes and dry, crustless sandwiches, and fragile china that always seemed about to snap in half between his fingers. Tea, Kimber reasoned, was a feminine invention, ruled by females of a certain type: ruffled, beribboned, and iron-willed.” 5 likes