Start by marking “The Big Book of Self-Reliant Living, 2nd: Advice and Information on Just About Everything You Need to Know to Live on Planet Earth” as Want to Read:

Rural homesteaders and urban apartment-dwellers alike will find a mother lode of practical information packed into this completely revised and updated edition of the ultimate how-to handbook for all generations.
Published October 14th 2009 by Lyons Press (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Book of Self-Reliant Living, 2nd, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Book of Self-Reliant Living, 2nd

Jonathan
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, this not quite the book I own, and have referred to since receiving it as a gift in 1975. I believe I have the predecessor rough draft of 1024 pages, called Public Works : A Handbook for Self Reliant Living, published in 1974 by Walter Szykitka as editor and compiler. I couldn't say how much of the information in the book in used in life. but it certainly kept me fascinated through my teenage years. Even today page through it carefully, before passing its ragged pages on to some young ...more
Tatjana
Aug 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Meh.
It seems like a lot of these books want to be the "big book" you can fit in your emergency pack. Unfortunately the indexing is awful and there is no way I would be able to find what I was looking for in this large format, heavy book with tiny fonts. My other criticism is the paper quality: the absolute cheapest newsprint money can buy. One minor rainstorm: the book will be ruined.
Fewer words (fast reading when stressed) and consistent graphics on a water-proof paper would be better. If you a
Roberta Morris
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me laugh. It is a collection of articles and parts of others books compiled into an encyclopedia style tome. It is wackily out of order. Goes from energy generation to darning ripped clothing to saving energy. That being said, the information is fantastic. When we start our homestead, this book will be a key part of our library.
Bridget Chapman
I'm taking this one with me when I move out into the woods to live like the Unabomber. Without the bomb-making.
Calvin McCorison