Start by marking “Fun of It” as Want to Read:
Fun of It

Fun of It

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  98 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Kessinger Publishing is the place to find hundreds of thousands of rare and hard-to-find books with something of interest for everyone
Published June 13th 2008 by Kessinger Publishing Company (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Fun of It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fun of It

Chelsea Margaret
I finished the book so disappointed that she wasn't my friend in real life. Delightful writing style, and so open and modest. What a charmer she was!
Tara Chevrestt
Unlike Earhart's other works, 20 Hours, 40 Minutes and Last Flight, which focus on flight details and aircraft specifications, this one is about HER and her life and her love of flying. Amelia began her life in Kansas and she became a nurse, a car mechanic, a social worker, a photgrapher, and even an airline vice president before she became America's aviation sweetheart. In this book she tells about those occupations and the impacts they had on her life and choices. She also tells a funny tale h ...more
Cherie Everhart
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best written book ever BUT it was wonderful to read her words and her perspectives. What a wonderful life she created for herself and what a great empowering legacy to leave.
Kay Mcgriff
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is just as charming as when I first read it in college over 20 years ago. It's the next best thing to sitting down with Amelia and having lunch.
Brittany
Amelia Earhart Fun read from Amelia Earhart herself. She writes about how she began flying, what it's like to fly, what she predicts for the future of commercial flight, what it's like to be a female pilot, some of her famous flights, and she highlights some famous female pioneers in flight. The writing style is straight forward. It seemed like I could almost hear her voice reading the book to me, in the language of the early '30s.

There's no mention of her around-the-world flight in which she gets lost, of
Hillary Shepard
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book - super quick read - two days - I picked it up because I was doing a design project about planes, and this happened to be in the section I was investigating in the library . When I saw it was written by Earhart I realized all I really knew of her was what I was taught in the third grade - there was a woman who flew planes pretty early on in the history of aeronautics and then she disappeared - This book is phenomenal for people interested in flying, for feminists (I feel after ...more
Liz VanDerwerken
Amelia Earhart was my childhood hero(ine) and having always loved her, this book was a delight to read. The first half was full of her wit and charm in recounting her childhood, college years, and introduction to flight. The second half was filled with facts and stories about the history of aviation. It's remarkable to see the changes she documents and compare the experiences of her day with modern flight. I think the title is so perfect, as flying for Earhart was a matter of fun.
David
Jun 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published when she was about 36, four years before her disappearance.

Well-written and interesting but she shies away from actually recounting her life and thoughts in favor of a brief history of air travel, women in aviation, etc. The smallest chapter is given to her solo Atlantic crossing (Lindbergh wrote an entire book).
Emma
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not the best written book in the world, but it is from Amelia Earhart's perspective about flying in general and her views of where aviation has been, is, and will be in the future. Not particularly accurate predictions, but somewhat amusing to see what the famous woman thought.
Karen
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, memoirs
This is a great first hand account of life in America in the 1920's-30's. An inside look at innovations in technology, but also a fun look at American lifestyles. Always fascinated with her since I was a kid, I really enjoyed reading something written by Amelia Earhart.
J R
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always was interested in Amelia Earhart and enjoyed reading about her life in her own words. A life that was much too short.
Cindy Black
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title says it all - this book is fun! Earhart has an almost conspiratorial tone here, and I loved how that tone simultaneously humanize a legend and makes clear that yes, she was a Very Big Deal.
Claudia
Anna
Mar 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Sound of Wings: the Life of Amelia Earhart
  • Malintzin's Choices: An Indian Woman in the Conquest of Mexico (Dialogos)
  • Lost Star: The Story of Amelia Earheart
  • East To The Dawn: The Life Of Amelia Earhart
  • Kamikaze Diaries: Reflections of Japanese Student Soldiers
  • Leadership the Eleanor Roosevelt Way: Timeless Strategies from the First Lady of Courage
  • Slacks and Calluses: Our Summer in a Bomber Factory
  • Lanterns on the Levee: Recollections of a Planter's Son (Library of Southern Civilization)
  • The Genius in the Design: Bernini, Borromini, and the Rivalry That Transformed Rome
  • Far More Terrible for Women: Personal Accounts of Women in Slavery
  • Under the Black Umbrella: Voices from Colonial Korea, 1910-1945
  • The Ice Opinion: Who Gives a Fuck?
  • Quicksands: A Memoir
  • Hapa Girl: A Memoir
  • Redeemer: The Life of Jimmy Carter
  • Serenade to the Big Bird
  • Raising Ourselves: A Gwitch'in Coming of Age Story from the Yukon River
  • Instead of a Letter: A Memoir
Amelia Mary Earhart (missing July 2, 1937, declared dead January 5, 1939) was a noted American aviation pioneer, and author. Earhart was the first woman to receive the Distinguished Flying Cross, awarded for becoming the first aviatrix to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean. She set many other records, wrote best-selling books about her flying experiences, and was instrumental in the formation of T ...more
More about Amelia Earhart...

“Flying might not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price.” 23 likes
“It was generally called the "powder puff derby" and those who flew in it variously as "Ladybirds", "Angels" or "Sweethearts of the Air". (We are still trying to get ourselves called just "pilots".)” 0 likes