Start by marking “A Truth Worth Tellin'” as Want to Read:
A Truth Worth Tellin'

A Truth Worth Tellin'

New author Toni Teepell's debut, A Truth Worth Tellin', is a story of unconditional love. It chronicles a family who triumphs in the midst of utter tragedy and a true friendship between two likeminded souls. At twelve-years-old Maggie Wall is on the brink of blooming when she learns how to swallow a spoonful of fate. While she knows that no one can be blamed for her mother ...more
Published September 23rd 2009 by Ramsay Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Truth Worth Tellin', please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Truth Worth Tellin'

Martha Guarisco
At times this book came across as preachy, particularly at the end. Coupled with a couple of typos, I'm left thinking that Teepell needed better editing. I love that Mama's mental illness doesn't completely define her or her relationship with those she loves. A Truth Worth Tellin' would make an excellent follow-up book to My Louisiana Sky.
Molly
Oct 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Molly by: Won as blog giveaway
Shelves: fiction
This little book is filled with situations that tug at the heartstrings. The super glue bond that family love provides. The sisterly love of a best friend. A mother's love for her daughter. And neighborly love for those in need. None of them are safe in young Maggie's world. This poor child gets put through an emotional wringer, finding herself closer to adult tribulations than any 12 year old should ever have to handle.

Maggie's mom is schizophrenic. Her episodes of crazy mama cause the family t
LAURI CRUMLEY COATES
Jan 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Toni Teepell's debut novel, A Truth Worth Telling; tells the story of a 12 year old girl and her life growing up as the child of a schizoprenic mother. Her father moves her and her mother to a small southern town. The family moves there because it's close to the mental hospital her mother uses. Maggie, our main character, is forced to grow up way to fast to deal with the hand that life has dealt her.

Told with heartbreaking tenderness, humor and honesty, this novel takes us through her trials of
Toni Teepell
Feb 08, 2010 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
A Truth Worth Tellin' just received the Spring 2010 Written Art Awards for Best Fiction!
Meghan Fong
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Can't remember the last time a good book made me cry! I loved it and I felt like I knew the characters deeply and personally.
Kaye
Dec 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
In Toni Tepell's debut novel, A Truth Worth Tellin', the reader is introduced to Maggie, a child wise beyond her years and with resposibilities no pre- teen should have to have. Right from the start, I was drawn in by almost 12 year old Maggie's narration of her family coping with life in the '60's in the small town of Pearl, Louisiana.

Riding her bike to the store with her friend Sam, eating oatmeal cookies with the next door neighbor's housekeeper and visiting the library make up a lot of the
LiteraryMarie
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing

A TRUTH WORTH TELLIN’
BY TONI TEEPELL

This heartfelt story is set in the South and told with a Southern charm.
Within the first few pages, I could feel the emotions of the main
character, Maggie, and understand why she finds comfort in lying about
her family life. If only her sugar sweet lies were truth, and little Maggie
didn’t have a mother that was schizophrenic.

Maggie and her Daddy move to Pearl, Louisiana into a small house near
the state mental hospital, where her mother is a patient. Th
Alicia
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book! The author came to my school a week or two ago to tell us about it and did a writers' workshop with us. She also sold and autographed books for us.

I decided to read this book for my final book report for my English class. I found it to be very intriguing and I really felt the emotions of the characters. I thought the author did an amazing job with the perspective; I really felt like an 11/12 year old was telling the story from Maggie's childlike optimism to the way
Angela Jones
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Angela by: Lesa Thompson
I loved this novel. I could feel Maggie's emotions while she was hiding from the world to keep the truth about her sick mother hidden. I could feel myself breathing deeper once she told her best friend the truth. The inner freedom she received by letting it all out to someone she trusted was all worth telling the truth. I loved the characters. The author grabs your attention immediately and keeps you wanting to know more thru the entire book. Would recommend the book to people of all ages. Will ...more
Paulette
Nov 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
When I didn't win this on the Goodreads giveaway, I immediately ordered from Amazon!

We meet Maggie and her friend Samantha. Each experiencing life as no eleven year old ever should. Each telling lies to keep from admitting the truth about their struggling relationship with their Mothers. This was a very emotional story of fear (of the truth), sharing of those fears and unconditional love.

I laughed and I cried and learned that a truth is worth tellin'! I couldn't put this book down! Loved it fr
Dianna
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Dianna by: Lesa Thompson
Shelves: fiction, favorites
This is a very compelling story of a little girl who had a pretty conflicted life. You cannot help but feel empathy for her. Does she tell the truth when she feels it is betraying her friends trust, or speak up to protect her.

Along with this she has to tend with her mother's mental illness. This is a lot for a child to deal with. But, she shows pure strength in her decisions and when push came to shove she did what she felt was best for her friend.

She could not understand what her mother was t
Tricia
Dec 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, 2010
This was such a heart warming story about life's cruel ironies.

The story is about a couple of 11 year old girls with very different lives. Maggie, whose perfect little family is devastated by schizophrenia, and her best friend Sam, whose mother struggles with alcoholism.

This is a very quick but moving read and I would recommend it to everyone.
Charlene
Two girls find strengh in one another to deal with their mothers' illnesses and receive help from kind and loving adults around them. Much of the novel whispers in Southern idioms, scenery and character.
Nancy Lockett
Mar 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Set in Louisiana. "Tweens" deal with serious issues such as schizophrenia and child abuse..Some Christianity... They struggle and survive.. Love abounds... even with the most dysfunctional characters...
Kathy Yocum
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the sweet happy/sad story. The author wrote in first person, allowing the reader to feel "with" the character. Well done.
Lissi Lu
Dec 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-wins
This book was a quick read and I enjoyed the story. About two young girls dealing with the ugliness that life can bring/the experience of growing up. Truly worth the read :)
Erica
Feb 02, 2012 added it
This is one of the best books I have ever read!!! I believe any mother would love it!!! It's got humorous parts, but it's also a lesson in faith, love, and family.
Kim
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. Very heartwarming.
Briana
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
VERY EMOTIONAL I COULD HAVE CRIED!!!
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK--- PLEASE MIND MY SPELLING:)
Betsy Senn
Jan 21, 2013
Jan 22, 2011
Anna
rated it did not like it
Sep 22, 2011
Mar 26, 2012
Christie
Apr 23, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Toni Teepell was born and raised in Louisiana. A graduate of Louisiana State University, she taught elementary school for fourteen years before relocating with her husband, Charlie, to Houston. They have three children and one grandson. A Truth Worth Tellin' is her first novel.
“You see Maggie, I realized the importance of our responses to the unanswered prayers. I had a choice to either grow bitter and turn away from God, or walk closer allowing his grace to guide each step. I don't know why some things happen the way they do, but I am sure of this: God is loving, and knows what he's doing. ” 3 likes
“Daddy says every person on earth is born iwth a device that lets them know right from wrong. Some call it their conscience, others say it's their inner voice; he calls his a gift from God. I don't know what to call mine, but I do know it lives in my belly.” 1 likes