Start by marking “Sometimes I'm Bombaloo” as Want to Read:
Sometimes I'm Bombaloo

Sometimes I'm Bombaloo

Vail & Heo deliver a wise, warm take on tantrums.
Let the Scholastic Bookshelf be your guide through the whole range of your child's experiences--laugh with them, learn with them, read with them!

Category: Feelings

Published February 1st 2005 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Sometimes I'm Bombaloo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sometimes I'm Bombaloo

Start your review of Sometimes I'm Bombaloo
Demetri Broxton-Santiago
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People with Kids 3-8 and Adults who still throw tantrums
I love reading this book out loud to kids. It's awesome! I forget the little girl's name, but she's a sweetheart, until something makes her upset and she becomes "Bombaloo"!!! It's like a little kid version of the Incredible Hulk.... no not really, but that would be a funny way to look at it. This book gives a name and character sketch to that other raging person hiding inside all of us whom we'd all like to keep hidden until someone does us wrong. Bombaloo is that other persona that wants to ...more
Kathryn
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure if I would like this at first, but it turned out to be very sweet and a thoughtful story and a good platform to discuss the venting of feelings of anger and frustration with children. Besides, the little girl's name is Katie, and I remember all too well being Bombaloo myself sometimes! ;-> (Probably my husband would say I still am on occasion, haha!)
Rachel Feather
"But when I'm Bombaloo I don't want to think about it! I want to smash stuff!" This is my favorite line in the book. Every time I read this book, I love getting to that line and hitting the table or my leg or the chair I'm sitting in. I used this book to read aloud to my kindergarten class. It is great as a read aloud for young children. They stay engaged with the short sentences and bright pictures. The topic of the story leads to some wonderful conversations about being angry. Children relate ...more
Kelly Workman
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book for the first time recently, and it made me laugh. Bombaloo is what the little girl in the story calls herself when she throws a tantrum. I think it is very easy for young readers to relate to. It justifies their feelings but also shows them that throwing tantrums is not a good thing to do. The pictures really add to the text, as well, by clarifying the tantrum Bombaloo is throwing.
Elie
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful feelings book that addresses that not only do we sometimes have out-of-control anger, but that it can be scary to feel that way. I like how it demonstrates that when we are out of control we are only absorbing pieces of what is going on outside of us. Great for use with kids - probably would help a lot of adults, too.

I also recommend "When Sophie Gets Angry - Really, Really Angry."
Audra Dyar
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book, not only was it a good book but the illustration was wonderful. The illustration is eye catching, colorful, and very engaging. As a young adult I enjoyed reading the book simply because it is a cute book; therefore, I know that children of any age would love it too. This book would also be a great book to use in the classroom, especially if the teacher is having discipline problems with children. This book portrays a child who gets angry and goes “bombaloo” and then ...more
Majken Straarup
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Summary:
The book "Sometimes I'm Bombaloo" is about a named Katie Honors. Katie tries to be the "perfect" little girl and do all the right things but sometimes she loses her temper and goes BOMBALOO. When her little brother teases her, she becomes mad and have to go take some time by herself. Katie does not like it when she becomes Bombaloo and she always becomes friends with her little brother again.

Themes:
Being siblings. Becoming a teenager

Personal response:
I think it was a nice book about
Samantha Hale
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awards: None

Grade Level: Preschool through Second Grade

Original Summary: In this book, there is a character named Katie. She talks about how on sometimes she in Bombaloo when she gets angry and lashes out. She doesn't like being bombaloo because Bombaloo is scary, and she would rather be Katie.

Original Review: I love this book! I think that it relates well to the children trying to understand their feelings when they may want to be super angry sometimes and it is engaging for them as well.

2-3 In
SaraKat
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super cute story about the temper tantrums that children (and adults) go through sometimes. I read this book because it was on my school's pillars of character list under responsibility. It teaches children that even if they lose control and have a tantrum, there is always forgiveness and love from the family when they apologize and make amends. The art is cool and the story is very true to life.
Samantha Hanhart
I chose this book as my read aloud book because it had lots of "mood" shifts. It would go back and forth between her calming down and her being angry so it was a good practice in shifting my voice during a story which I can struggle with. This was a good book but I wasn't crazy about it. I prefer When Sophie Gets Angry- Really, Really Angry as it tells a similar story but I think in a better way.
Kristen Luppino
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. This book I've probably read 30 times this year. It's great for talking to kids about their strong upset feeling, especially kids with more intense behaviors. And the illustrations are fantastic!
Cole Williams
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
About those days, you know the ones
Christine Grant
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
Feelings Story Time. My favorite book about children expressing anger.
Molly
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Anger management. Zones of regulation.
Katy Mccormac
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
In story format, this book can be used to explore feelings and that they can be named but don't have to stay with us.
(NS) Brea M
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Rachel Vail’s Sometimes I’m Bombaloo is an excellent book for children ages 3-7. Vail gets right inside a kid's psyche, and Heo's inventive artwork catches the kaleidoscope of emotions found there in a book that is both realistic and funny. Katie Honors is a self-proclaimed good kid who follows house rules and, most of the time, restrains herself from fighting with her brother. But sometimes she can't hold her anger in: she's "bombaloo." She bares her teeth and stamps her feet. Her brother ...more
Leta Huffman
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had a creative concept to it. This would be helpful to read to a kindergarten or first grade class. This talks about how a little girl who is usually nice is sometimes mean and turns into a monster that she refers to as Bombaloo. I could use this in the classroom at the beginning of the year to introduce our behavior that we will have in the classroom. I will say that sometimes we will be Bombaloo and we will be grouchy. In the classroom we could learn to be open and honest and let ...more
Kristin
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Great for showing temper tantrums and how to recover from them. The only parental disagreement I have is that the parent helps the child clean up the tantrum mess of throwing things. My opinion is that the child cleans up the mess him/herself. The messes may become smaller over time when the child has to do it themselves.

Great for voice inflection and storytime. Discussion could take place afterwards for kids to understand the tantrum process and recovery.
Daniel
Mar 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
This book surprised me. I wasn't expecting to like it, but the lesson was extremely on-target for those children who lose their tempers easily (and I have one that way).

The art didn't work for me (and perhaps that's why I wasn't expecting to enjoy it). The rough-dranw, cut-out look seemed to be aimed at a child younger than maybe appropraite for the content.

In order to fill the pages with content, it did seem to stretch the beginning out longer than was necessary.

Shannon
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Amazon Book Description:
Sometimes, Katie loses her temper.Sometimes she uses her feet and her fists instead of words. When Katie is this mad, she's just not herself. Sometimes, she's BOMBALOO.

Being BOMBALOO is scary. But a little time-out and a lot of love calm BOMBALOO down and help Katie feel like Katie again!
Alyce Dougan
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a great children book that discusses feelings. Sometimes Katie is a well behaved child and sometimes she BOMBALOO. This story teaches a good lesson while letting children see everyone has their days. At the end of the story Katie’s mom still loves her and I think that important for children to see. I would recommend this book for ages 3-7.
Keia Arnold
Jan 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I think this book would be a good one to talk about with students to introduce the topic of emotions, specifically anger. The students could discuss what they thought of Katie's reaction and why they thought this was good or bad. You could also discuss positive ways of letting out frustration and anger.
Meaghan
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great book to process those big feelings and put pictures with those feelings. A great story for kids to relate to a character that feels mad and acts out her mad. It also demonstrates how being Bombaloo can be fixed and relationships are not broken.
Danielle
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I like this, especially the end.
An honest portrayal of how it feels to be out of control angry (bombaloo), and how scary.
A loving mother who accepts anger and a wise narrator who learns to start anew.

Linda
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute story about keeping control of our emotions-and sometimes...we are bombaloos!
Alexandra Chauran
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was tailor made for my toddler right now. It went through all the feelings and behaviors associated with tantrums and even had a baby brother.
Jordan
Mar 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Now this is great...it's about a little girl who turns into a different person (Bombaloo) when she's angry...
Leona
Mar 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: feelings, easy
not for storytime because it brings up lots of issues that are best handled with lots of lap time, but great for discussing feelings--getting angry and being out of control.
Savannah
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, childrens
About feelings. Great for little kids.
Desiree
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Great book about how kids can feel when mad.

• The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Because
  • The Heart and the Bottle
  • Grumpy Bird
  • The Very Impatient Caterpillar
  • Bloom Boom!
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Sulwe
  • I Need a New Bum!
  • A Chair for My Mother
  • Grumpy Pants
  • Stuck
  • What If the Zebras Lost Their Stripes?
  • What Is Given from the Heart
  • The Rabbit Listened
  • Hair Love
  • What Floats in a Moat?
  • The Invisible String
Birth
I was born on July 25, 1966, in NEW YORK CITY, and grew up in New Rochelle, NY, with my mother, my father, and my younger brother Jon. (And down the street from my future husband, though of course I didn't know that until much later.)

Interests
Some details, I do know-I was very into reading and theater, so I read every book I could get my hands on (especially realistic fiction, either