Start by marking “Hamster and Cheese” as Want to Read:
Hamster and Cheese

Hamster and Cheese

(Guinea Pig, Pet Shop Private Eye #1)

There's a sandwich thief in Mr. Venezi's pet shop, and everyone is a suspect, from the chinchillas to the goldfish. Never fear! The world's fluffiest detective on the case: Sasspants, PI(G). By day, Sasspants is your average book-loving, gizmo-inventing guinea pig. By night she solves pet shop mysteries with the help of her sidekick, Hamisher the hamster. Our furry little ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Graphic Universe (first published January 1st 1997)

Skye Kilaen
We checked this series out from the library thinking it was just for our kid, but the adults in the house cracked up as much, if not more, than the intended seven year old audience. The main character is a bookworm guinea pig named Sasspants. Her best friend is a mouse named Hamisher who thought he was a koala but later wants to be a dragon. They live in a pet shop where the owner can't remember what to label the cages... and there's always a mystery afoot! The fish are all named Steve. The chin ...more
Betsy
Mar 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book stars a guinea pig by the name of Sasspants.

There. I've just told you everything you need to know to enjoy it. No need to thank me. Unfortunately, I have the creeping suspicion in the back of my medulla oblongata that there may be folks out there for whom "Sasspants"-monikered rodentia is not enough. Perhaps you are wondering what else there is to find in this bite-sized graphic novel. It's a slight little thing, after all. Coming in at a mere 48 pages you might be inclined to take it
Dolly
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children who enjoy reading graphic novels
This is a humorous mystery in a pet shop where the guinea pig has to figure out who is eating Mr. Venezi's sandwich every day. The illustrations are colorful and cartoonish and the narrative is entertaining, but sometimes a bit disjointed. I had to reread several pages because the story wasn't really making sense. I think a large part of it is the fact that Mr. Venezi is very nearsighted and labeled his pets as another completely unrelated animal.

We enjoyed reading this book together - the anim
Sandy
So, who stole the sandwich? Welcome to Mr. Venezi’s Pet’s Shop, the man who owns a pet shop but can’t differentiate one animal from another. This man cracks me up! Harnisher the hamster wants Sasspants, the guinea pig, (a.k.a. P.I.) to solve the case of Mr. Venezi’s missing sandwich.

What I enjoyed the most about this graphic novel besides the humor was the clues that were left inside the pages. As Sasspants and Harnisher try to find the culprit, I also was discovering clues that sometimes, they
Laurie
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Arminzerella
Sasspants the guinea pig lives in a pet shop with a bunch of other animals. The owner of the shop, Mr. Venezi, has really bad eyesight, though, and doesn’t know much about the animals he’s selling. As a result, most of their cages are grossly mislabeled – the hamsters are “koalas,” the gecko is a “moose,” the chinchillas are “camels,” and the mice are “walruses.” Sasspants loves to read, and just as she’s about to get to the end of her book, she’s interrupted by a Hamster/Koala who thinks she’s ...more
Stefanie
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great graphic novel for everyone. Great detailed illustrations, very colourful and entertaining to hold people's attention all while trying to solve a mystery.

Plus the guinea pigs name is Sasspants who just wants to read.

I think this would be good for reluctant readers or anyone who loves animals.
Courtney Barter
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
Hamster and Cheese is a book about the life of the little animals at the pet store! Such a cute book. I love how entertaining it is. It is quite funny as well. The illustrations are bright and draw your attention to each animal. The man at the pet store does not identify animals well at all, which is pretty funny! Graphic Novel.
Darlene Pasquale
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
1. No awards
2. Appropriate grade level - kindergarten-2nd grade
3. Summary - This is a funny story about a pet shop whose new owner mixes up all the different types of animals. As they discover who they really are, a hamster and a guinea pig team up to see who the sandwich thief is! Can the animals solve the mystery of the missing sandwiches?
4. Review - I like this book because the animals have funny reactions, and if I found it to be amusing, then I would think that young children would too.
Maria
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
1. Seven to ten year old's.
2. "Hamster and Cheese" is a funny and silly graphic novel that appeals to the young reader. The illustrations within the novel correctly depict the characters they portray, many of them with big eyes. The Guinea pig is on a quest to find out who is eating the pet shop owner, Mr. Venezi's sandwich everyday.
3.Within the story there are mystery elements that the children may look to the illustrations in efforts to solve the mystery which makes reading this book fun enga
MaKayla Jahn
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-texts
Summary: This book is about a group of animals at the pet store that are trying to solve a mystery. Someone keeps stealing the owner’s sandwich everyday at the pet store. They interrogate every animal there about the sandwich, they make sketches of suspects, and record data, but no one seems to know the answer. They finally find out who did it, and they stop that person from ever taking the sandwich again.

Review: This book has a cool story line that children would enjoy reading. The pictures he
Kiersten Knapp
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
This children's graphic novel takes place in a pet shop, where sandwiches are going missing. All of the animals are thought to be the thieves, until Hamisher the Hamster and Sasspants the Guinea Pig, becomes the detective after hours in the pet store. They work together to find the thief.

I really liked this children's graphic novel, and I think that young kids would like it too. It's very amusing and funny watching the story unfold. The speech bubbles definitely help the story become more alive
Amy Dinoff
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: l-graphic-novels
1. Awards the book has received (if any):
2. Appropriate grade level: Kindergarten to third grade
3. Original 3-line summary: In the book Hamster and Cheese, a guinea pig named Sasspants and her sidekick Hamisher lived together in a pet shop. This humorous mystery involves these two trying to figure out who is eating Mr.Venezi's sandwich everyday. They journey together and examine an array of subjects, so look out!
4. Original 3-line review: I love this book because it takes place in a pet shop and
Julia Healey
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Hamster and Cheese is a graphic novel for children in first grade to third grade. It is a part of a series and it has won the New York Public Library Best Books for Kids Award. It is all about a detective hamster that tries to get to the bottom of the mystery of his missing cheese. I would recommend this book because uncovering a mystery is entertaining for children and learning about detectives and how to solve the mystery is something children should start learning at a young age in a fun way. ...more
Renee Broadnax
Readers will delve into the fast paced lives of Sasspants and Hamisher, a guinea pig and a hamster living in a pet shop, as they work to solve mysteries. This Private Investigator (P.I.) and her sidekick come to life in this graphic novel, as this crime fighting duo work to discover who the culprit behind Mr. Venezi's missing sandwiches is. Readers of all ages will appreciate the humor and graphics which make this P.I. and her sidekick a go-to read.
Marissa Traina
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic
This graphic novel is the first book of a series about a guinea pig inside a pet shop. The guinea pig becomes a PI and must solve mysteries within the pet shop. He has a sidekick that helps him find the thief who steals their sandwiches.
I think this book is a great book for beginner graphic novels. It is a funny way to introduce children to this genre, and includes great illustrations. Children of all ages will enjoy reading this series of mysteries.
Felicia H
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Great novel for those just starting to read novels. The illustration will catch your eyes and have you wanting to read the lines to make connections with the pictures. Trying to solve the case of the missing sandwiches they travel through the pet shop investigating several pets. I commend both the story line with the humor and the graphics in the novel. I have added this to my school library and I know my students will enjoy it.
Brittany Dean
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sasspants, a guinea pig, is hired as a private investigator to solve the case of the disappearing sandwich. He works with Hamisher, the hamster, to sort through all the suspects and their incorrect names. As they work to solve the mystery, the graphic novel provides the reader with a chance to sort out the clues given by the spacey fish.
Linda Millard
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm surprised this has anything other than 5 star ratings. I knew I would love it from the first look at the outside of the pet shop with the Zebra Sale sign in the window. My only quibble is so much is packed on each page that I felt could be better shown on 3 or 4 pages. Great premise with Sasspants reluctant PI. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Ashley Quick
Awards the book has received:
No awards recieved

Appropriate grade level(s):
K-2

Original summary: Sasspants, a guinea pig, agrees to act as a private investigator with her friend Hamisher, a hamster, to solve the mystery of the missing sandwiches.

Original review:
I think that this is a good book because it has a mystery that the characters needs to solve and invites the reader to solve it too. This book will be interesting to children because it sparks curiosity and also personifies animals which i
Patricia Lee
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230
I think that this is a cute book to have inside of your classroom. Because it has a mystery that the hamster needs to solve. This book is interesting to young children, it will keep them amused with the story line. You could have the students solve their own crime while reading the book.
Susannah Goldstein
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
3.5. Really really cute, and I loved the concept of a pet store owner who couldn’t figure out what the animals were. The pages were a little too cluttered to me- I’d like bigger pages to let the panels have more room, and maybe some chapters.
Steph
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
SUCH a cute graphic novel for 2nd/3rd graders - a mystery AND my kids always want books about hamsters. How perfect!

Love the "how to tell the difference between these animals" page at the end of the book. Chuckled while I read it... and learned from it, too! =)
Kristina Wise
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
I absolutely love Hamisher and Sasspants!
Nevin Graese
Dec 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
the comic was weird and i din't like it.
Sarah Harper
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
As this book centers around detecting the thief, we could use it to talk about stealing, and honesty. We could build on character traits of the classroom.
Heather Jo
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Carl Tolle
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The reason I rate this book five stars is because it was a good book. If you like hamsters you will like this book. My favorite part was when they found out who stole the sandwich.
Mandy Robek
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Animals with a mystery to solve in a pet shop. The graphic novel format has lots of text to read and action going, take time to enjoy.
Meredith Estes
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
A good graphic novel for the beginning reader. It sets up a whole world in the pet store and there were some jokes that played well for my 6 year old.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Stinky
  • Benny and Penny in The Big No-No!
  • Joey Fly, Private Eye in Creepy Crawly Crime
  • Gabby and Gator
  • Little Mouse Gets Ready: TOON Level 1
  • Kit Feeny: On the Move
  • Otto's Orange Day (TOON Level 3)
  • The Shark King
  • Hippopotamister
  • Lunch Lady and the League of Librarians (Lunch Lady, #2)
  • Clan Apis
  • The Great Pet Escape
  • Adventures in Cartooning: How to Turn Your Doodles Into Comics
  • Super Amoeba (Squish, #1)
  • Dragon Puncher
  • Sticky Burr: Adventures in Burrwood Forest (Sticky Burr #1)
You might know me from such films as "Colleen's Fourth Birthday Party" and "Colleen Falls Down Over and Over Again While Ice Skating."

Day Job! Creative Director at Odd Dot
Other jobs! Writing books, making stuff, rescuing rabbits, being ridiculous

Fun facts!
-I have a huge connect-the-dots tattoo.
-I accidentally started an international holiday.
(See National Pancake Day or Lumberjack Day, every Se

Guinea Pig, Pet Shop Private Eye (6 books)
  • And Then There Were Gnomes: Book 2
  • The Ferret's a Foot
  • Fish You Were Here
  • Raining Cats and Detective
  • Going, Going, Dragon! (Guinea Pig Pet Shop Private Eye: #6)