Start by marking “Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)” as Want to Read:
Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)

Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan #4)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  1,654 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Silent and lethal, USS Seawolf, the US Navy's most up-to-date stealth submarine, is on an ultra secret mission -- to spy on China's brandnew, hugely-improved Xia-Class submarine. When it ventures dangerously into the forbidden waters of the China Sea, Seawolf is caught in a shocking accident and is captured by the Chinese. The repercussions of the disaster could cause the ...more
Published January 25th 2001 by Arrow (first published May 30th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Seawolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seawolf

Bernard
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tom Clancy it isn't. Ethan was in the car when it came to the part where the admiral streams off profanities like "fucking gooks" and "chinks" and what-not. Problem with the book is that the author appears to think that China and US are run my the military. In the US case, he makes it appear like the admiral is running the country and the president works under him. Despite those kinds of issues - where there is no diplomacy whatsoever - its got some fun military scenes. As an audio book, it keep ...more
Chauncey Rogers
First 1/3 is a submarine story, and then it switches over to a specforces rescue operation. Given the book's blurb, this didn't come as any surprise. It was a good story with plenty of tension, drama, and intrigue, but reader beware: strong language and racism ahead. But I suppose they don't say "Curse like a sailor" for nothing.
Teri Pre
May 31, 2018 marked it as gave-up  ·  review of another edition
I tried to ignore the slurs (racial, sexual and cultural) in the last book and managed to do so, but I just can't do it anymore. If real military people think and talk the way Morgan does, I despair for the US.
Neil
It is funny but I can remember the first time I read this book I loved it up until the end and then I completely hated it. I could say I understood others who talked about feeling 'betrayed' by how a book ended after reading this thing's ending. The second time I read it my feelings were not much better. Having picked it up for cheap and reading it a third time, I was able to enjoy it more than the first two times I read it [partly because I somewhat remembered how it was going to end].

The Seawo
Tony
Jun 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Parts were so farfetched to make it unbelieveable.
Paul Adams
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Patrick Robinson book I read. Great!
Kavin Thakkar
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nathan Weiss
This book isn’t terrible - I picked it up randomly from the library, with no prior experience with the author, but I like the military fiction genre.

The writing in this book was the most jarring for me. It seemed like the antagonists had no character development and were written cartoonishly. The protagonists were a little too over the top - no one in the military talks in ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME unless it’s in a movie. Several passages of dialogue between characters were used to explain plot poin
MMc14
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story. I thought there were a couple of gaps in credibility - the length of time before the Natl Security Adviser was notified of the incident seems really unlikely.

And I believe the US would have asked for direct communication with the crew whileChina was 'helping'.
Anurag Tiwari
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No one can write this Genre better than Patrick Robinson.
Pedro
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy shit, I couldn't put this one down!
Charles Dingman
The US Navy shines and politicos do not, for the most part, in this novel of competition with China.
Brett Thomasson
The U.S.S. Seawolf is one bad piece of equipment. Ultra quiet, armed to the teeth, and able to stealthily trail and track almost any other seagoing vessel you could name, the nuclear submarine is one of the prides of the United States Navy.

Too bad author Patrick Robinson decided to abandon it a third of the way into his 2000 naval thriller U.S.S. Seawolf and switch to a by-the-numbers covert action operation weighed down by a confusing list of characters, inexplicable and wrong-headed actions by
Michal Angelo
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
* Still reading, but my God ... Seawolf will keep you sitting on the edge of your seat
Karen
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosie Hendrix
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A customer brought this into my work one day and personally handed it to me to read. He is an older gentleman and had always seen me with a book so he wanted to share one of his favorite authors.

I had never read a book by Patrick Robinson before. Actually, I can't say I've ever seen his books before that day since it isn't the normal genre I browse through. I enjoyed it and have discovered a new author to read thanks to my customer.

Patrick Robinson's characters are very real and, although I don'
Henri Moreaux
Really enjoyed this book; at first I was a little worried the Ben Adnam from the prior book was the mysterious Linus Clarke character who seemed nervous and lacking in fortitude, however thankfully it is later revealed who Linus Clarke is and it isn't BA.

This plot is believable, nicely paced and has a great action filled climax before winding down to end on a sorrowful note.

It's nice to read a book involving the US Navy where they aren't portrayed as superheroes, I felt this book did a good jo
David
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
1st read - 2001-07-16
2nd read - 2016-02-21 to 2016-02-22

I have this book marked as read from back in 2001. But I don't recall any of the plot details after the re-read. Usually, I eventually remember something. Not this time.

The closing of the book "jumps the shark". There is no way some of the things in the end happen without greater consequences than that described in the novel. Then again, the strength of the novel is the technological description. Unlike Clancy novel's though, the characters
Paul
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-read
I've enjoyed two other of Robinson's Admiral Morgan series and this one was pretty good, too, so far as the narrative went. What bothered me was the over-the-top political commentary, lambasting Democrats as weak/crooked/unpatriotic/disingenuous. It wouldn't have been so off putting, had this come only from the mouths of some of the characters, but it was just too much coming in the narrator's voice, too - particularly as it did nothing to further the storyline.
Pete
Nov 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
This is the 4th entry in the Arnold Morgan series and a solid followup to "Kilo Class" with the Americans and Chinese facing off against each other again. The Navy Seals getting the starring role in this story so you know there will be plenty of explosive action throughout. The ending which deals with the political fallout of losing the submarine is rushed but overall this is an entertaining read.
Blake Raab
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book sometime shortly after it was published, and it's stuck in my mind as one of those books that I would love to pick up and read again any time. I've always loved seeing things about the pure discipline, precision, strength, and dedication of Special Forces, and Robinson captures that perfectly. It's truly a book that is hard to put down.
Jim
Feb 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
"Completely fun sub story where we lose our top sub to the Chinese but save the crew and blast the boat anyway. Like before, his characterizations of everyone and everything outside the military -- the press, the prez, the public -- is completely lame, but the story is still fun and this plot survives better."
Wolf
Dec 01, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
It has been a while since I initially read this book. I have two comments:

1. Dialogue alone does not make a novel.

2. Cursing does not make dialogue.

I did not finish this book; I found it tiresome and unentertaining. It is an attempt, I think, to imitate Tom Clancy, but fails in spectacular ways.
Davd Neu
Sep 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
probably the best book i've ever read, more attention to detail than i ever thought possible in a book but it is still fast paced enough and engrossing enough that i finished the 480 pages of very small text in three days. BEST BOOK EVER.
Lis
Jan 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un'altra vicenda dell'ammiraglio Morgan e compagni. Lo stile è lo stesso degli altri libri della serie, ma questo è un po' troppo lento, la narrazione si perde spesso in inutili dettagli.
Tre stelle scarse.
Mark Kloha
Jul 25, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay. One of the worst books I've ever read. It was fairly decent until I got to the end. The ending of this book is just beyond stupid. Tear out the last chapter or two, come up with your own ending, and this might be an otherwise decent book to read, but the ending is just ridiculous.
Andrea
Jun 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Admirad Arnold Morgan.
Newest US hunter-killer submarine patrols waters off of China to find and follow newest Chinese submarine.

I protest the ending, but it appears that a need to "wrap it up" doesn't allow author the time to explain the military mind-set to non-career military readers.
Chuck
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The U.S. Navy's premier nuclear submarine is on a clandestine
mission in the South China Sea. The Seawolf is captured by the
Chinese Navy and the crew is held captive. How do we protect
the Seawolf's technological secrets and rescue the crew?
Tina
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the harsh, honest, tell-it-like-it-is Admiral Arnold Morgan! To me, he is one of the best parts of these books. The constant action, deadlines, overcoming of obstacles to make the mission work - it all kept me on the edge of my seat. I couldn't put this book down!
Mike
Aug 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprising, sad ending that was a little off-theme with some of the rest of the book, but overall a very enjoyable read. Less submarine action than some of his previous novels (closer to Kilo Class than Nimitz Class or Unseen).
  • Shadows of Steel (Patrick McLanahan, #5)
  • America (Jake Grafton #9)
  • Choosers of the Slain (Amanda Garrett, #1)
  • Day of Wrath
  • Threat Vector (Michael Pacino, #6)
  • The Renegades (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #3)
Patrick Robinson was a journalist for many years before becoming a full-time writer of books. His non-fiction books were bestsellers around the world and he was the co-author of Sandy Woodward's Falklands War memoir, One Hundred Days.
More about Patrick Robinson

Admiral Arnold Morgan (10 books)
  • Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #1)
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • The Shark Mutiny (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #5)
  • Barracuda 945 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #6)
  • Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #7)
  • Hunter Killer (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #8)
  • Ghost Force (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #9)
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)

Fiction Deals

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand