Start by marking “Silver's Edge” as Want to Read:
Silver's Edge

Silver's Edge (Shadowlands #1)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  616 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
THROUGH THE SHADOWLANDS: Where the touch of silver was Protection, Power and Peril...UNWILLINGLY ENTWINED...There is more danger than usual in the Otherworld of the Sidhe and the mortal world of the Shadowlands. An unlikely group of conspirators--both mortal and Sidhe--plot to overthrow both thrones. They'd stolen the silver caul that protected the borders between the real ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Luna Books

To ask other readers questions about Silver's Edge, please sign up.
Megan LeBlanc It's supposed to be a trilogy, but of the 3 books currently out now, one is a prequel, so I don't think that counts towards to trilogy.

Stef Rozitis
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Despite being worn out by the many long descriptions (some of them admittedly rich and lush) and very annoyed at the constant sexualisation of every single character, I found the plot itself drew me in and grew on me. Not a stand alone novel by any means (alas) like many first in a fantasy series it ends with no resolution whatsoever and is designed purely as a vehicle to the next novel. Without being completely sure whether I will persist with the next book, I feel like the book was worth readi ...more
Briana
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book.

From the start, the descriptive imagery gave me an almost visceral reaction. I could see, smell, and hear everything, especially the horrible things happening.

The only gripe I had was how the chapters flowed and shifted perspective. It went from changing from chapter to chapter to changing within the chapter with only a line break to indicate a story shift. It made the chapters really long and too full to handle all at once. A little more break in the action (there was a
Libby
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Such a great story line...reminds me of lord of the rings!
Janna Garrett
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book much more than I expected, mainly for the well written women who were involved in what was going on in the story. I was less interested in the romance parts of the book but the romance was more like just enough in the book to also sell it as romance.

This book is one of the first books I've carried out of the house to continue to read through the day in a very long time.
Rivalie (Le Petit Photograph)
3.5 out of 5 stars

Initial Thoughts: Pretty decent start. I will admit that I'm not loving all the characters but the way the three different plotlines overlapped kept me hooked. One POV will slowly approach a climax moment and then the story will switch to a different POV. Definitely worth a try!

Full Review:
In the world of Shadowland, there is an uneasy peace between the human realm and the Otherworld. For the last couple generations, the two worlds have coexisted in peace after the last devast
Megan LeBlanc
The storyline is intricately woven together in a deep and winding story. I like that it focuses on female character POV's, although bits of the story are unusual and quite memorable. I prefer stories that aren't harlequin-esque (I can use my own imagination for rated-X encounters, thank you very much) and this one tended to dip into those scenes a bit more than my preference. I'd be interested in checking out the rest of the series, though. Compelling storyline with imaginative and detailed char ...more
Julie
Sep 14, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Samhain is soon approaching. The time of year when the human world and the Sidhe world or the Otherworld have their boarders thinned. A magical time of year that is celebrated by both the humans and the Sidhe.

This year however, an odd occurrence has happened. The Sidhe Samhain and the human Samhain coincide on the same day. No one, not even the immortal Sidhe can remember this happening in all of history. It could not have come at a worse time either. The Great Silver Caul, or magical net that k
Barbara ★
This is a greatly detailed book with many worlds and numerous characters in all three worlds. Figuring out what is going on is easier than figuring out all the characters, who is who, where they are and how everyone is related.

We have the Shadowlands where the mortals reside. This includes Cecily (one of the three important females), her husband, Donner, and her lover Kian...these are some of the good guys. So of course, we also have bad guys...Donner's heir, Cadwyr is the lone human one. On th
Renee
Apr 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very dark book. It starts slow, lot of leisurely narrative. The premise/basis of the whole story is finally stated at the bottom of page 86 "What if - what if it's the (Silver) Caul that's poisononing the land? If it's the Caul that's weakening (Sidhe Queen) Alemandine?"

The Silver Caul was created by a Sidhe queen's magic and a human blacksmith's craft to erect and hold a barrier to keep the mortal Shadowlands, the Sidhe lands and the goblin lands separate. No one could travel between
Kerry
Sep 24, 2012 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2004, fantasy
I just didn't get far enough into this one to get it completed. I have so many other books I want to read and I'm just not inspired to put in the work on it.

I really thought I would like this. The premise was good and my kind of 'thing'. But it was really slow going. Reading isn't as easy for me as it used to be and I now tend to work on the concept of an effort/reward ratio. If I have to put in too much effort for too little reward, I'm not always going to stick at it. I think that's what happ
MelissaK
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't as good as I was expecting. Not a lot of attachment formed with the characters, and the writing was at first forced, then bland. The style of the author is the kind that is unreliable. ..that is, rather than posing a puzzle or mystery, she just blatantly says one thing, then later Cotradicts it. Like, characters don't evolve, they just suddenly do what's easiest for the plot. Say someone wrenched and stabbed right in the heart? nah, just a graze. it's readable, but just not polished.
Beth (moonivy)
Aug 04, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy readers.
Read 8/4-8/5/07
Silver's Edge tells the interwoven story of Nessa, a blacksmith's daughter, Cicely, an unhappy dutchess and Delphinea, a Sidhe lady-in-waiting in their efforts to save the mortal Shadowlands and the Sidhe Faery from destruction. Tinged with Celtic mythology, Silver's Edge is a pleasant
fantasy novel, if somewhat scattered and derivative. A strong second half leaves me hopeful for the second novel, Silver's Bane.

Genre : Fantasy
Rating : 8.25
Publication : 2004
Where From : the library
R
Nancy
I wanted this to be good, I really, really did. Its not. I can see the premise and it has potential but falls flat. It is very one dimensional, and just blah. Very hop skippy around as well. Characters and setting shift from paragraph to paragraph with out any breaks or chaptering. The potential is there, just didn't happen for me. And I thought it would be a good trilogy. *sigh*
Natalie Smead
The book was decent enough to keep me turning the page, but I felt it almost tried to do too much for what I was expecting. I also had not realized it was the first in a series, which was disappointing. I grabbed it thinking I would get to read the whole story. However, it was interesting enough for me to now be pursuing the sequel.
Brittany Herz
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book of my first fantasy series. This was a nice place to start for a person intimated by the genre. I dreaded the idea of 1000+ page books filled in lineage charts, long names, and maps. The story had a good balance between complexity, history, and romance. I really enjoyed the world and characters. I was very excited for the next book in the series.
Salimbol
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Hmm, pretty standard Celtic fantasy fare, really. Some interesting ideas here and there (e.g. the interdependence of the three lands), but neither plotting, nor world-building, nor characterisation ever really cohered into anything special. That said, it was easy to read, and I *do* want to know what happens next.
nimrodiel
My bigest complaint with this book was that I didn't know it was the first book in a series. It ended with a rather cliffhanger ending that left me going "what just happened?"

The book was much different than I expected, and was a fantastic story. I'm just left hanging...
Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫
I loved this epic fantasy. It is magical and the world is positively enchanting. It was so full of intrigue that I couldn't put it down. This is the series that really brought me into the world of fairies and started my obsession with Luna books.
Anafielle
Aug 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica, fantasy
"This is a fairly mediocre fantasy romance. The author has clearly read too many books on sex magic."

This. From previous review.

Very easy read, certainly enjoyable in that beach summer book kind of way. But nothing special. Your typical elves and humans Celtic fantasy book.
lisa
Jun 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
good enough to read the next in the series since i borrowed it from the library. good enough, also, to buy it if i had bought the first one. however, not good enough to run out and get the next one when i finished.

Lindsay Stares
This is a fairly mediocre fantasy romance. The author has clearly read too many books on sex magic. There were a few interesting characters/pairings, but overall it was too complicated. I was briefly tempted to try to read the sequel, but now I'm ambivalent.
Pamela
Feb 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who enjoy strong heroine based stories
Shelves: fantasy
Annie Kelleher delivers a lush and wondrous tale, rich in folklore and mythology with vibrant characters on an impossible quest. Her use of gaelic gives the story a wondrous appeal.
For readers who like strong heroines it is a fine read.
Cait
Eh. It couldn't hold my interest past the first two chapters in the time I had it checked out of the library. Maybe I'll try it again later -- it looked like it might be getting into at least a few unusual angles on faerieland.
Melissa
Excellent read - epic fantasy
Katie Lorsch
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Maybe I'd give it a 2.5. Wasn't my favorite, but I own the series so I felt obligated to read it.
Joy
Jul 13, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm rereading this story because I read it so fast I forgot most of it. Its okay the second time around but its a simple story.
Julie Norberte
Mar 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
mystery that i could not get hold of... so i should really get those books 2 and 3. grr...
PWRL
Jun 17, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-new
E
  • Rhiana (Changelings, #3)
  • The Wizard's Ward (Umbria, #1)
  • Shadows of Myth
  • On Fire's Wings (Final Dance, #1)
  • The Compass Rose (One Rose Trilogy, #1)
  • Song of Unmaking
  • Sorceress of Faith (The Summoning #2)
  • For Camelot's Honor (The Paths to Camelot, #2)
  • The Dawn Star (Lost Continent, #3)
  • The Summer Country (Summer Country, #1)
Born and raised at the South Jersey shore, Anne holds a BA from Johns Hopkins University in Medieval Studies and has studied English language and literature at the University of Connecticut and Storytelling and Oral Traditions at the Institute for Graduate Studies. The mother of four, Anne now resides in Connecticut and Hawaii. Find out more at www.annekelleher.net.
More about Anne Kelleher

Shadowlands (3 books)
  • Silver's Bane (Shadowlands #2)
  • Silver's Lure

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Midnight Curse (Disrupted Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)
  • Strange Weather
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Run (Kaitan Chronicles, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Dark Matter
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Reader (Sea of Ink and Gold)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy #1)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress #1)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Deadmen Walking (Deadman's Cross #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hunted
  • Daughter of the Burning City
  • Wax
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Delphi Effect (The Delphi Trilogy #1)
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence