Start by marking “Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Retreat (Season 8, Volume 6)” as Want to Read:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Retreat (Season 8, Volume 6)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Retreat

(Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8 #6)

Buffy Season Eight Volume 6 showcases the first retreat of the Slayer legion. Vampires have solid footing at the top of the totem and Slayers have been crushed to the bottom -- in short, no one likes Buffy anymore . . . least of all this season's mysterious Big Bad, Twilight, who is hot on her magical trail!

Now that it's the world against Slayers, Buffy must find a way to
Published March 3rd 2010 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Calista
This was not my favorite part of this story. They fight magical demon hordes all the time and for some reason they are running away from the fight and giving up their powers. I mean, it's a stupid turn of events. Oz is back in this one and it's good to see he's a dad, but the whole thing that happens at his home is stupid.

I hope the story gets better after this and the story can find it's voice again. I was really enjoying being back in the Buffy-verse and it was fun and then we got this episod
Sesana
Nov 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
This is a weird turn for a Buffy storyline to take. The Slayers are under intense fire, so I get that they're retreating. What I don't get is the decision to survive by voluntarily giving up all of their magically enhanced abilities. Yes, this makes them invisible to magical scans, but it leaves them horribly vulnerable, and leads to the Slayers suddenly picking up automatic weapons and laying land mines. It seems like a bad idea from the start, and guess what? It is.

There are some really good s
Virginia Cavanillas
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: paperback, comic, fantasy
The humor is exquisite as usual but the rest is rushed. Very, very rushed. But also kinda boring. I know, I know, it sounds paradoxical, and not just because rushed and boring look like opposites. Also because Buffy and boring can’t be used in the same sentence... or that was what I thought. So maybe the definition of this volume is... messy? Could be. I’m a bit disappointed.

So... without spoilers... there’s an huge battle I didn’t care about and a love affair that looked a bit cringing at firs
James DeSantis
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was a rather messy and not very fun volume.

Buffy and the gang head over to where Oz and his wife and Baby are. Magic gets sucked away from Willow and the Slayers now must face Twlight and his goons till they all die! It's a big battle to the death but who will come out victorious?

Good: There's a fun little issue that's throwback to the show where we get to see Andrew do his interviews with everyone and that issue is a lot of fun.

Bad: The rest is messy, it's not funny, the stuff with Oz c
Renee Nicole
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Here I am in the minority again, but I loved this book. Buffy makes an awful lot of bad decisions, for sure. But these are the times when I love her the most. Everyone was so... human in this story. Taking away the magicks and the slayer powers makes our people actually face who they are. And I really loved that.

It was great to see Oz, too.

I guess I'm one of the few who saw this Dawn/Xander thing coming from a mile away. And I'm okay with it.
jess
Oct 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Usually Joss Whedon & Buffy can do no wrong, but this installment made me feel funny and wrong. I hate writing spoilers and spoiler warnings because I think that no one reads my reviews then (OK - not that I think anyone reads these anyway, but i write them for ME not anyone else anyway). So, I'll try not to be spoilery. There is a blossoming romance in this book that I am uncomfortable with. There, I said it. All the weird freaky things that the Whedonverse has subjected us to in S8, and th ...more
Fables&Wren
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
WrensReads Review:

The most important thing about this whole volume is this:

Oz is back.

We get to see where Oz is and how he is doing. I was like crying, because it is so Oz.

Besides that, there’s a big giant war. The slayers are trying to not be slayers in order to bring themselves together to fight the big evil, and lots of.. other things.. happen.

Really, this is a great thing to read because it has the essence of the show completely.

WrensReads | Goodreads | Twitter | Instagram
Brittany
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing

***Buddyread with the Shallow Readers! Criteria: Girls kicking ass way too many weeks late!***

I want to make this fact known before I continue: (view spoiler)

Now that that's out of the way. The story. I loved all of the action. I loved the fact that magic was removed from the equation. I love the fact
Bryan
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
Well, I was never the hugest Buffy fan, but I diligently watched and enjoyed (for the most part) every season of the TV show. Now that the disclaimer is done, let me say that I think these comics get a much better rating than they deserve simply because it's Buffy and Buffy fans are just happy to have more Buffy, even if it's mediocre Buffy.

The story in Season 8 gets progressively more ridiculous, implausible, silly and downright dumb as things progress. Old characters return for no real reason,
Meg
Jul 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Lana *Lifeinwordsandlyricscom*
This episode was great. I mean come on, Oz is here and he was always one of my favorites. Missed that dude, want more of him. Can you believe it? The gang is finally all back together. Aces!
Kemper
Apr 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Buffy's battle against the evil forces of Twilight (hee) continues. In the last volume, an inexperienced slayer's attempt to take out a vamp on TV created public sympathy for the bloodsuckers who are now seen as poor innocent victims.

Now that Buffy and her slayers have been outed and are public enemy #1, Twilight uses his military forces with help from witch Amy and skinless Warren to mount an attack on the slayers' HQ in Scotland. They manage to escape but Buffy is convinced that the only way t
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Almost five stars?? Great job Jane Espenson, this is the first comics volume that made me feel almost like I was watching the show. Great character moments and depth, but also humour! Although ewwww Xander and Dawn!!!
Brittany Petersen (thecontinuingchronicles)
I have mixed feelings over these comics

On the one hand, I am immensely glad to be back in the world of Buffy. My heart misses that show so much and each comic feels like a new episode.

On the other hand, I feel as if they are taking liberties they would not have taken in the show. Like Buffy has a random lesbian sexual encounter. Willow can suddenly fly and chang them into birds. Xander is in love with Dawn (which I honestly don't see ever happening. She was like his little sister), and there is
graveyardgremlin
Sorry, this is kinda more ranty then when I started out, and probably not very well-written. You've been warned. Also, no spoilers are revealed in my rant review (though that was hard not to do ;P).

Why do I keep reading this series? Why do I expect it to get any better? Or even come close to resembling what the show was about in the first place? What in the Sam Hell is wrong with me that I persist in reading this travesty? Ack!

Again, the plot is ludicrous, the characters don't always feel true t
Jenny
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
William P.
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really want to make this 3 1/2 stars. I still love a lot of the dialogue and the art is, unsurprisingly, still really good. My problem is that it's still. Not. Buffy.

My reasoning is this: Season 7 of Buffy was not a good example of what most of the rest of the series was like. Maybe bits of Season 6, but not even that. The comics pretty much never let the HOLYCRAPometer drop below Season 7. A lot of the time it goes above that and pretty much loves all over the tone and style of the last episo
Olivia
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
As you may know I've read several of the Buffy comics before and have been utterly dissapointed by them. I told myself I would read one last comic and if I hated it I would give up reading the comics entirely. Surprisingly enough, I didn't hate this one, I actually enjoyed it immensely. Although it is nowhere as good as the show (so few things are) it has a stable and interesting plot, good, solid character development (none of the characters are behaving like children - what a concept!) and bri ...more
Dichotomy Girl
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
2nd Read: 09/09/2015
Original Read: 06/15/2014
Natalie
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
In a Sentence: Retreat is an action-packed, climactic installment filled with excellent character development that reminded me why I fell in love with the series in the first place.

My Thoughts

In Retreat, we see a reunion of almost all of the main characters. Faith and Giles, Andrew and the Italian Slayer squad, Willow, Buffy, Xander: everyone who has been off on their own little adventures joins together in an attempt to fight off the advances of Twilight—the ultimate “Big Bad” of the season—w
Dani Shuping
Jun 17, 2011 rated it liked it
The slayers are being attacked across the world. Buffy and Willow have to take a disguise to get to the island and Giles and Faith are in hiding from demons. And Twilight and his group are going all out and the slayers barely escape to Nepal...and Oz. Oz, his wife, and their young son are going to teach the slayers how to hide their magics. But Twilight has found them again...and demons are back to destroy.

The volume ends with an issue of Buffy floating in the air saying "what the hell?" and tha
David
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Buffy fans, werewolves
Despite the return of several long-missing characters from the TV series (Oz, Riley), I thought this was the weakest story arc in "Buffy: Season Eight" yet. Buffy decides that all of the Slayers need to "give up" their magic so that Twilight will stop being able to hunt them down. So she finds Oz in Tibet, where he has learned to control his lycanthropy. He and his Tibetan wife tell the Slayers that they need to take up an agrarian lifestyle and basically let their magic be drained into the Eart ...more
The Flooze
*3.5*

I've spoiled myself completely for these. I already know the identity of the Big Bad, as well as a few of the big secrets of season 9. And that knowledge has aggravated the bejesus out of me. At this point, I think I'm reading in the hope that watching it all unfold properly will assuage some of my anger.

Reconnecting with Oz and seeing a swift and bloody battle is a positive thing in these circumstances.

It's funny how much reading these and re-watching the series ups my irritation with Buf
Richard Wright
Feb 12, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011
If I hadn't bought the first six volumes of Buffy season eight in one go, I would never have read this after the last book. I wish that had been the case. With the world now anti-slayer (thanks to a vapid vampire with a reality show), and an army out to slaughter them, Buffy and her slayerettes make the only sensible decision. Run away, give up their powers and responsibility, and become just like everyone else. Then, of course, the bad guy's army find them anyway, and they realise what a resoun ...more
Oct 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
While I'm still pretty sure it was Jane Espenson's script that made the last volume so much better than those that had preceded it, she wasn't enough to save this one. I think the fault lay more in the artwork than in her writing. It's very hard to tell some of the characters apart. Moments that on a TV show would have been big "Whoa!" were instead big "Wait. Who? What?" The excellent Jo Chen covers and the short story in the back only reinforced this. Of course, my favorite episodes of the TV s ...more
Peter
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
This is the volume where I stopped reading this series the first time when I tried to read this series. And upon rereading it, if remember why. In this story the slayers run to Oz for protection against twilight. And they decide to give up their magic.

But the problem is that there are to many characters, to many things happening and the pace is to high. I found this whole trade confusing. In the beginning it seemed like it made a big jump from the ending of the last trade, and then Jane Espenson
Jen
Oct 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
I liked this the least so far in the season 8 series, for many reasons. I thought the whole plot line of "losing" magic was weak. They were supposedly doing it so that Twilight couldn't see where they were/had been? Or was it more than that?

I think they also should have picked up on the fact that there was something hinky going on in the way they were "releasing" the magic into the earth. Hmph. Dissapointed.
Claire
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
There's the usual coolness of Buffy season 8, but this volume contains extra treats. Two short BtVS stories and perhaps even cooler (at least to me), the various cover concept sketches Georges Jeanty drew for 4 covers with info about the selection & finalization process. Very cool!
Bradley
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Getting better all the time. I wondered where the plot could go when the Slayers are all uber-powerful, but this reversal was just the ticket. I loved the premise in lieu of a normal bout of hiding, and the resultant clash of the titans made me laugh out loud and cry a little too. The tragedy was becoming so complete that it was only mollified by how speedy it happened.

I really have to know who's the mystery behind "Twilight", now.
Alan
Apr 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Nice to move the story along and and it was mildly interesting to see a contrast of philosophy between Willow/Buffy/Oz. The way I read it is either you can give up being who you are, or you can accept who you are, the good and the bad, and make the best out of your life. The short story at the end by Joss Whedon that featured two mild slash scenes are very funny.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Twilight (Season 8, Volume 7)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Last Gleaming (Season 8, Volume 8)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, Volume 3)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You (Season 8, Volume 2)
  • Angel: After the Fall, Volume 3
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Welcome to the Team (Season 9, Volume 4)
  • Angel & Faith: Death and Consequences (Season 9, Volume 4)
Jane Espenson is an American television writer and producer who has worked on both situation comedies and serial dramas. She had a five-year stint as a writer and producer on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and shared a Hugo Award for her writing on Conversations with Dead People. Between 2009-2010 she served on Caprica, as co-executive and executive producer for the series. In 2010 she wrote an episode ...more

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8 (8 books)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home (Season 8, Volume 1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You (Season 8, Volume 2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, Volume 3)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer:  Time of Your Life (Season 8, Volume 4)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Predators and Prey (Season 8, Volume 5)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Twilight (Season 8, Volume 7)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Last Gleaming (Season 8, Volume 8)