Start by marking “Biblical Eldership: An Urgent Call to Restore Biblical Church” as Want to Read:
Biblical Eldership: An Urgent Call to Restore Biblical Church

Biblical Eldership: An Urgent Call to Restore Biblical Church

In order to define biblical eldership, we must go back to the only God-given, authoritative source, the text of Holy Scripture. Church history demonstrates the disastrous consequences of drifting from the light of Scripture. This book fulfills the need for an in-depth study on the topic, based in the vast treasure of God's Word.
Published November 5th 2003 by Lewis & Roth Publishers (first published July 28th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Biblical Eldership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biblical Eldership

Ben Zornes
In my years of being a pastor's kid, then a worship leader, and now training for pastoral ministry myself, I've only grown in my conviction that biblical church leadership is of utmost importance. Much of the spiritual deadness we see in the modern evangelical church is directly attributable to unbiblical leadership structures, or disqualified men in leadership, or both!

Strauch's Biblical Eldership is really a modern masterpiece of addressing what the Bible teaches on how God desires His church
Greg
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book on Biblical Eldership. The author has done a lot of research and study into this topic from numerous sources, there is a 28 page bibliography included for all those who read footnotes :-)

Strauch shows without a doubt how a Biblically based Christian eldership should function, justifying the books subtitle "An Urgent Call To Restore Biblical Church Leadership", in an age where it seems that anything "new" or "edgy" is best, Strauch draws us back to the Bible and shows why we
Peter Jones
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
An excellent basic overview of the officer of elder. The strength of the book is the exegesis of various passages, such as I Timothy 3, 5 and Titus 1 on the office of elder. I also appreciated his sections on Acts 15, James 5:13-18 and Hebrews 13:17. I did not necessarily agree with all his conclusions, but his work on these passages provided a lot of food for thought. I would recommend it to anyone interested in being an elder.

I had two questions that he did not answer well. First, how much of
Steve Hemmeke
Alexander Strauch has written a solid treatment of elders as they were meant to be by the Bible.

At least half the book is exposition of Scripture texts related to elders - a real strength. You need a team of multiple elders who are humble servants who can teach and apply Scripture to the flock in a caring and truthful way. I can see this book being a God-send to Baptist or non-denominational congregations that begin to realize they should have elders and wonder where to start.

It feels like the o
Jessica
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Our church is in the process of transitioning to elders. Our pastor encouraged us to research for ourselves the biblical justification for eldership, which is what led me to this book. Strauch lays it out clearly that eldership is in fact biblical and provides scripture to support his claims. Very informative and biblically sound.
Douglas Wilson
Apr 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very good. Also read in April of 1991.
Michael Sanelli
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the most biblically saturated studies on the office of Elder in the church. This is a must read for any church leader, possible elder, seminary student, pastor, etc. Anyone who desires to understand what Eldership/Pastoralship is should read this book. I'd encourage church members to read this as well to better understand the qualifications of those who lead them and to be able to hold them accountable, encourage them, and pray for them. As with most of Strauch's works, it focusses mostly ...more
Brandon Current
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read and keep as resource. This is an incredibly thorough and well organized look at the role of Elders in the church and the church leadership structure as organized by God in Scripture. Strauch does a wonderful job setting out the argument for a the church being led by a plurality of Elders who are both shepherds and overseers of the church. He also is careful to present elders as appointed leaders who are not ordained as a separate class of believers, but are leaders among the congregation. T ...more
Michael
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had to read this book as a pre-eldership requirement. It was a thorough reading of every scripture verse(s) on elders (overseers, bishops, pastors). He clearly explains what the Bible says about qualifications and expectations of elders. This is not a practical book. It is not a book about how to be a better leader. This book is strictly exegesis on the scriptures related to Eldership. The author goes through the greek and hebrew, cultural context, and historical understanding. There is times ...more
Reginald Detabali
I found this book extremely profitable to me as I just graduated from a reformed seminary. Strauch has helped me bring back the right and biblical perspective on Eldership. This is a clear outline of what it means to be a pastor/shepherd/elder in the church. While every desiring to be a pastor should read this book, church elders (plurality) must need to study this guide for themselves. I couldn't agree more of its propositions.

I will mentor future leaders with this study.
Jason Vallicott
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Biblical Eldership is a thorough exegete of the Biblical texts on Eldership. Today many elders function more like a board of directors leading a company than they do as those called to live like Jesus, teach sound doctrine, and refute false teaching.

Any elder or aspiring elder who reads this book will walk away with a sharpened conscience and a clear understanding of their weighty responsibility as leaders in the Church.
Joshua Reichard
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very helpful and clear picture of what eldership looks like in the NT. I thought this book stands above the average book on eldership by being repetitive but not in a bad way. I like how he points out Acts 20, 1 Tim. 3,5, Titus 1, 1 Peter 5, Heb. 13, and James 5 all as key passages for eldership. A much needed overview of what the Nat elder should look like in the Church today.
Steve Alde
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: discipleship
Exceptional book. Strauch unpacks Scripture regarding church leadership and lays out the biblical instruction concerning pastors (elders, overseers, shepherds, stewards, etc.). The ineffectiveness of the modern western church can in part be attributed to the lack of understanding of biblical eldership. A must-read for church leaders and congregation members.
Doug Payne
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A helpful and thorough guide to restoring biblical leadership in the Church. The most helpful part of the book is his exposition of the biblical texts regarding elders, their position and responsibilities. Strauch made a brief but convincing case for Congregationalism in part 4, but pulled the rug out from under it. On the whole an excellent work.
Justin
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whatever the reason you are looking into the topic of elders and eldership, start with this book. Excellent and comprehensive work on the subject that was a joy to read. You will leave this book with an understanding of the office and in my opinion convinced that a plurality of elders is the ideal way a church should be lead. Highly recommended!
Bruce Baker
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Strauch writes a well researched book on the elder led church. He uses quotes from many other authors to make his arguments. It seems somewhat negative toward a lead pastor and the practical workings of such a paradigm seems lacking. A good book on the elder led church.
Terah Eden
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on scripturally based Eldership

An excellent read for anyone in church leadership or anyone considering church leadership. It gives sound advice/ information that is biblically based.
Timothy Decker
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
An important work, but over-hyped concerning its exegetical information. Mostly word studies with other exegetical and syntactical issues scattered throughut. But I am in agreement with the major views of this book!
Jenifer DeCastro
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this book to have a better understanding of such a conservative view. Dr. Strauch wrote well and made his points clear and with documentation. I can't say I agree with all his views but did enjoy the read and gaining perspective.
Gus
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read with care - this will mess with your ideas around church leadership. The best thing I can say about this book is that it got me to go back to the Scriptures and find a firm conviction on how we "do" church leadership.
Matthew
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership, ministry
Makes a compelling case for biblical eldership.
Vincent Stewart
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ecclesiology, 2019
Great! Highly informative and full of great study and reference material to all interested or involved in church leadership/government.
Joseph Schoolland
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I appreciated Strauch’s goal to get rid of the CEO pastor model, but he didn’t do it well. He would contradict himself, read into scripture, ignore the Old Testament, etc.
Justin
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good exegesis. I wish it had been a bit more practical.
Clayton Hutchins
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great basic overview of just about every NT text on eldership.
Lee Gerrietts
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good defense and call to Biblical Eldership; I appreciated the exegesis throughout to support his defense.
Colin Fast
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, immerse
An excellent resource covering the biblical basis for a plurality of elders with over half of it being exposition of the big texts on the subject.
Jason Harrison
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good. A pretty thorough introduction to elders.
Ernesto Alaniz
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the single greatest book I have ever read on church governance. After years of reading the Bible and knowing there was something there, but not having the time nor energy to take all that truth and ask the question; how did God intend the church to be led? I have always felt uneasy with the models I have seen used throughout my life.

The book is Biblical. It is well researched. It is well written. It is true. And I am thankful for it.
Pat
Jun 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Elders, pastors and nominating committees
A good book although the author is much more theologically conservative than I am. Nevertheless, he has good insight on the eldership in the Protestant church and I learned a lot. The book was actually an encouragement. One area in which I feel he hit the nail on the head was with the idea of the super pastor. "There is a dark side to the super-pastor concept...many churches are lead by highly independent, domineering, egotistical men who desperately need accountability and balance. Furthermore, ...more
  • The Shepherd Leader: Achieving Effective Shepherding in Your Church
  • The Trellis and the Vine
  • Church Membership: How the World Knows Who Represents Jesus
  • On Being a Pastor: Understanding Our Calling and Work
  • Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church: A Guide for Ministry
  • The Church (Contours of Christian Theology, #4)
  • Church Planter: The Man, The Message, The Mission
  • Between Two Worlds: The Challenge of Preaching Today
  • Pastoral Ministry: How to Shepherd Biblically
  • Lectures to My Students
  • Given for You: Reclaiming Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper
“When pride comes, then comes dishonor, but with the humble is wisdom” (Prov. 11:2;” 0 likes
“Authoritarianism is evil, anti-social, anti-human and ultimately anti-God (for self-deifying pride is at its heart), and I have nothing to say in its favor.11” 0 likes