Start by marking “Mates, Dates, and Cosmic Kisses (Mates, Dates, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mates, Dates, and Cosmic Kisses (Mates, Dates, #2)

Mates, Dates, and Cosmic Kisses (Mates, Dates #2)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  3,547 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
This follow-up to Mate, Dates, and Inflatable Bras is told by cool and sassy Izzie Foster. Desperate to make sense of things after meeting the divine Mark, Izzie spends her time at home--waiting for his call. When she loses her perspective and sense of fun, Lucy and Nesta give her a reality check.
Published January 1st 2003 by Simon Pulse (first published April 19th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Mates, Dates, and Cosmic Kisses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mates, Dates, and Cosmic Kisses

The Princess Diaries by Meg CabotRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenPerfect by Sara ShepardThe Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa
In the Pink
1,235 books — 416 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsShiver by Maggie StiefvaterHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickBlood Promise by Richelle Mead
To Read
759 books — 766 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is mostly about Lucy's story. Lucy saw this guy at a shop. She liked him a lot. He said she will call her , but he never did. So that had Lucy going crazy. It was tearing her away from her friends and family. It was all about Mark calling her. There was an external conflict between Nesta and Izzie when Izzie was getting happy about Mark. Nesta kept saying the opposite and that made Izzie feel bad. This took place in London. The main characters are Izzie, Nesta, and Lucy.
Text to Self
Cat {Wild Night In}
I thought that the opening tone was going to make for super-cringey reading but over the course of the book, it turned into something that younger-me would have loved reading on a sunny afternoon. The poems/ songs were a fun touch and the way the main characters handled their respective issues was fairly awesome and grown-up.

I do wish the word 'tart' hadn't come up so much, but then again, this was written back in 2001.

The major plus to this being set in North London in the early 2000s was that
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Vaikka nää kirjat olenkin lukenut useasti, en koskaan kuitenkaan järjestyksessä. Nyt ajattelin tehdä kerrankin niin, saa nähdä saanko sarjasta tällein enemmän irti. :D
Milana Waller
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some random lady at a used bookstore recommended me this book. Annnddd here we are. This was a short and easy read . I'm not sure if I'm going to continue the series but they would definitely look good on my bookshelf.
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-term
After reading the first novel in the "Mate, Dates" series, I knew I had to read the second novel. In "Mates, Dates, and Cosmic Kisses" it follows and tells the story of a fourteen-year-old girl named Izzy, and her two best friends Nesta and Lucy.

After seeing a boy at a craft fair one day, Izzy was convinced the feeling she had toward him was love. She gave the boy her phone number, but after she declined many invitations to go out with her friends due to waiting for a phone call from him she rea
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was funny and cute and true. I only wish I had read it when I was 14. It's more than fiction it's like the girls guide to adolescense. The relationships in this book so closely mirrored the relationships I had myself as a teenager and I think if I had read it then I could more fully understood what was going on.
Cathy Hopkins had one underlying resounding lesson throughout the book and that was confidence. Boys don't find anything more attractive than a girl with a solid back-bone and
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: girls 13+
Shelves: favorites
This book is amazing...
borrowed it from library, read it 10 times :P
It has some really good messages for girls aged 14+ -izzie is a very relatable character who is trying to figure lads out.
The main messages I got from this book are to never, ever neglect your friends, and don't let a guy mess with your head- something I read about too late :P This book would deffo help teens figure out stuff in their own life.
Loved the lists with tips and advice in this book, although I have to say that the son
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-english
So funny! I really enjoyed it!
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
YA fluff book. Little to no character development, fluff plot, no growth. Would be good for a 12 year old audience. Not sure why an adult recommended this book to me.
Galion Public Library Teens
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Review by N.O: "Really interesting. Different perspective than previous book. Still good, though."
Yormara Cintron
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
We all have thought to be inlove and been inlove and have known how it feels to be love. Izzie goes through it all! This book is mostly for girls who like to read cute love stories and love to read about other teenagers having boy troubles. Izzie really likes Mark but Mark is just leaving Izzie alone which is exactly what she don't want. She doesn't want to wait on the phone anymore she wants him to talk to her. Why can't he just call her instead of making her wait? The main characters in this b ...more
Amanda Yeargin
I read Mates, Dates, and Cosmic Kisses as IR book. This book is about not letting boys mess with your emotions. Or let him miss you things like your friends. Izzie meets Mark and she thinks she's in love. But when he says he will call all she does is hover over the phone. She winds up missing a lot of things including her friends. Meanwhile the only way to see him is to casually bump into him. But she soon realizes what is happening and starts to do something.
One connection i have is an Text-t
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 13-days-clya
It's a very quick read, I think I read this for 2 or 3 hours. I kinda re-read this book. I mean, I had read the Indonesian version of this book at least 4 times during junior and senior high, but this is the first time I read the English version. And it was great to read both versions of the book.

I like how this book concentrated on Izzie because she's really into horoscope and stuff like aromatherapy oils, and etc. I actually learnt a few stuffs about aromatherapy oils from this book. And it wa
Chelsea C
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A good old fashioned Young adult series and this one in particular was a quick read. I like this series, I was introduced to it when I was younger. Mind you it's very British so some of the slang takes some getting used to.

Mates, Dates, and Cosmic KissesEach book in the series focuses on one of the 4 friends, this one being all about Izzie.
"See, we are all called Human beings," She said, "but when do we ever be? We're always human doings, dashing about doing this and that. We never stop to jus
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Collective Review

I first read a couple of these books in 2006. I had a long bus trip and grabbed a couple of the series from a local bookstore. I had no idea they were part of a huge series. Over the years I had forgotten the names of the books but every now and then would try to find them. I finally found them this year from a Goodreads list. Yay!

I really enjoyed this series. I think the main reason is because the books were released in 2001 and the girls are 14. I was 13 in 2001 so can connect
Nov 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 8th-grade-ir
In this book, Mates Dates; Cosmic kisses this was about not letting boys mess with your feelings. You see Izzie meets this guy Mark and well he turned out to be a guy to mess with your emotions. Day by day Izzie was changing into a totally different person. She actually winded up losing all her friends,popularity, trust,real friends... basically everything.

I can connect to this because in the seventh grade I met a guy and that tore me apart just like it tore Izzie apart with her friends populari
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: teenage
In this book, Izzie gets a crush on a boy who also seems interested, but who fails to call like he says he will most of the time. This drives her crazy, second-guessing everything she does and says, staying glued to her phone and ditching her mates.
Izzie must learn to deal with weird boy behaviour as well as what to prioritize in her life. About putting herself first, closely followed by her mates, and getting some self-respect, instead of obeying male's whims.

Personally, Izzie was pretty irrita
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In questo libro, più di ogni altro della serie che ho letto, viene ribadito il concetto del legame tra le ragazze, la forza dell'amicizia che prevale sulle relazioni sentimentali.
ma soprattutto prende forma il concetto del "le ragazze possono prendere decisioni e fare le regole, non dobbiamo essere sottomesse alle false promesse dei ragazzi" che secondo me è una cosa importante per un'adolescente alle prime armi.
Siamo sinceri, vogliamo tutti essere voluti. Ma non per forza dobbiamo stare alle r
Irene Liang
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is talking about friendships and relationships between a girl Izzie and her best friends Lucy and Nesta. Izzie fell in love with a boy Mark and Lucy was a girlfriend of Nesta's brother Tony. But at the end they all broke up.

This book is the type of book that I am interested in. While I was reading this book, it was like a movie. It made me recalled my experience. I had many common with Izzie.

"Boys. Strange species. Don't want you when you want them and do want you when you're not int
Jul 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this as part of my Young Adult creative writing project reading list (female character, teenager 14y/o etc) and found it an OK read.

+ Good message on how to handle sexual pressure.

+ realistic family relationships

- I didn't like most of the characters- I never felt like I knew the protagonist because we are thrown in different directions throughout the story (maybe this is part of the author's intention- showing how chaotic a 14 year old girl's life must be.)

- would have been nice to see
Jan 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I have no idea why this book was on my shelf - it must have been on some reading list. I am some decades older than the target audience, but still enjoyed it. And, sadly, one can get older but not a heck of a lot wiser. I understood only too we'll Izzie's obsessions, and appreciated the get-your-own-life moral of the story. And it was so pleasant to read for a change about decent, nice people - not a child-molesting wicked step-parent in sight. I only wish there had been light-reading, sensible ...more
Oct 03, 2010 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was an easy read and hard to put down. It is about a girl named Izzie has some sass to her personality. She meets a handsome guy named Mark and he tells her that he will call her. She waits days and he still didnt call so she figured he said he would phone her to get rid of her.She was desperate so she was always home in case he called.Izzie's best friends Lucy and Nesta give her a reality check and things start to head in the right direction for her and all the bo ...more
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
These books are probably the easiest series I've read! They have a really low reading level, but I read them just for the heck of it! Just so you know it's based on girls that don't live in the US! It took me forever to figure that out!!! *face palm at my dumbness* However, if you're looking for a really simple series to read this one might work! I don't exactly remember the books, but I don't think you even have to really read all of them to figure out a good ending. Either way I could read eac ...more
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was a really fun book and it gave me lots of boy-related tips and tricks. I got it when I was literally Izzy's age and I've read it multiple times ever since.
These days I had to re-read it because of an university homework in English translation - had to find examples to fit the usage of each English tense and relieving all of what Izzy went through made me smile and remember the first time I read it.
All in all a great book no matter what age you are you'll like it. ( also the first time i r
Aug 07, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Izzie's story about trying to find a boy. She meets Mark in the shops at Camden. He's lovely and she's smitten but he doesn't call when he says he will! (Oh my god! He's a real boy!) And Izzie's always trying randomly run into him and generally making a painful fool of herself in the way only a smitten 14-year-old can. All the while, ignoring the perfectly lovely Ben who is obviously a better match. Predictable and sweet.
Lynne weir
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Finished!!! Such a quick read and so fun. I confess she did get annoying and did come off as a bit selfish through most of the book which bugged me but other than that the book was great. though I was more interested in Lucy's story. The song lyrics were good and it did have a great message for all girls out there. dont let guys mess you around, dont shape your life around the phone that may not even ring and most important if you like a guy take charge, dont let him call all the shots.
Apr 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is one my favorite authors because her books are humorous and it is relatable to teenagers like us. it talks about boyfriends, friends, school and more. Sometimes i feel like i am one of the characters in the novel. When i read this book, i can't put it down like it was glued to my hands. I think i am going to read all of Cathy Hopkins's books and series because i like her style of writing. More books coming!
Jun 22, 2009 added it
This book is about a girl named Izzie that meets a boy that its gorgeous and it's impatient for him to call her. Izzie actually starts hanging out with him and they actually start going out, Izzie starts saying what they do and how much she loves him and lucy gets jealous because her relationship is not like that with the boy shes with. After i read this book i learned that you cant fall in love with a guy to much because then he gets you under a spell and its hard to forget him afterwards.
Nov 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Mates, Dates, and Cosmic Kisses By: Cathy Hopkins is a recommended book for teenage girls. Its flirty cover is very capturing to the readers’ eye. While reading this book I thought it was going to be all about boys but it actually shows the importance of friends in your life as well. This book can be a fairytale to one but also allow the reader to relate to it. Therefore, I recommend this book to whoever loves romance and suspense.
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this for our Library Genre Discussions - Teen Reads and enjoyed it. I listened to the Bolinda recording and loved the Aussie accent of the reader. This book took me back to the agonizing teen years when boys were the beginning and ending of my interests. Fortunately, like Izzy, I realized that my friends were more important and that boys would come and go. Fun read, but I wouldn't want to go back in time at all.
  • Dates, Double Dates and Big, Big Trouble (Ally's World, #2)
  • Speeding (Hard Cash Trilogy, #3)
  • Tessa in Love
  • Lady: My Life as a Bitch

Mates, Dates (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Mates, Dates, and Inflatable Bras (Mates, Dates, #1)
  • Mates, Dates, and Designer Divas (Mates, Dates, #3)
  • Mates, Dates, and Sleepover Secrets (Mates, Dates, #4)
  • Mates, Dates, and Sole Survivors (Mates, Dates, #5)
  • Mates, Dates, and Mad Mistakes (Mates, Dates, #6)
  • Mates, Dates, and Sequin Smiles (Mates, Dates #7)
  • Mates, Dates, and Tempting Trouble (Mates, Dates, #8)
  • Mates, Dates, and Great Escapes (Mates, Dates, #9)
  • Mates, Dates, and Chocolate Cheats (Mates, Dates, #10)
  • Mates, Dates, and Diamond Destiny (Mates, Dates, #11)

Young Adult Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
  • Orphan Train Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
  • Period 8
    $6.74 $0.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Queen (The Queens of Renthia #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Study in Charlotte (Charlotte Holmes, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • When You Reach Me
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00