Start by marking “The Red Ghost the Red Ghost” as Want to Read:
The Red Ghost the Red Ghost

The Red Ghost the Red Ghost (Ghost)

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  91 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
"Have you ever had the feeling a doll was watching you?
"Jenna finds the perfect gift for her sister at a neighbor's garage sale-a beautiful old doll dressedall in red velvet. Jenna can't believe her luck. Not only does Mrs. Tate seem happy to be rid of the doll, she even gives it to Jenna for "free" " "But when Jenna takes the dollhome, trouble begins. First her best frie
Published August 16th 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Ghost the Red Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Ghost the Red Ghost

Brandy
Jenna is sure she’s gotten a great deal when she finds the beautiful doll at her neighbor’s garage sale--a deal that gets even better when the neighbor gives it to her, free of charge. But Jenna quickly realizes there’s something strange about this doll… a weird look in its eyes, the way Jenna’s cat hates it, the rustling noise it makes in the closet. Jenna’s sister doesn’t want the doll, either, declaring it “full,” though she can’t explain what it’s full of. What kind of secrets is this doll h ...more
Silvara Wilde
Check out my other reviews, discussions and link ups at Fantasy of the Silver Dragon.

Technically a series, but each book deals with different characters and different ghosts. This was actually creepier than I had expected for a kids book. Not too much so, but the creepiness factor was definitely there. It probably doesn't help that I have a porcelain doll that has an outfit very similar to the one in this book!

I liked how the kids discovered there was something not quite right about the doll. An
Molly
I picked this up for a quick read and did not expect much. But I thoroughly enjoyed this slightly creepy read for kids just moving into the chapter book. A creepy doll and a strange neighbor who wants nothing to do with it. I won't tell you what happens but I am going to have trouble looking at all of my old dolls. Grades 3+
Dolly
Mar 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is one of four colorful Ghost stories written by Marion Dane Bauer. We recently read The Green Ghost and our oldest really liked it, so we put the other three books on hold and read them all quickly in succession.

This story was creepy in a Poltergeist or Chucky: Volume 1 kind of way, but written for younger children who haven't broken into the scary stories by R.L. Stine yet. It certainly was not our favorite of the series, but was interesting in an eerie way.

Overall we liked this story an
Books Kids Like
Jenna sees a beautiful, old doll dressed in a red velvet coat and bonnet at Mrs. Tate's yardsale. It would be perfect for her sister Quinn's birthday. When Jenna asks how much the doll cost, her neighbor gives the doll to her for free and seems quite relieved to be rid of it. Many disturbing events happen after Jenna and her friend, Dallas, wrap up the doll. Jenna's cat Rocco hisses and spits at the wrapped package. During the night, Jenna hears paper rustling in her closet where she hid the dol ...more
Canadian Reader
Jenna sees an antique doll at a neighbour's garage sale and thinks it might be just the thing for her five-year-old sister's fifth birthday. Miss Tate is only too unhappy to unload this old toy, saying it belonged to her sister who died of scarlet fever. When Jenna takes the doll home, though, her cat Rocco, normally a gentle creature, hisses and spits in its presence, and when her sister receives it, she claims that it is not empty but full. The malevolent force that the doll contains and how t ...more
Bobbi
May 29, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers of chapter books
Shelves: juv-fiction
As one of the librarians in charge of summer reading at my branch, I recently visited schools in the area to promote books and reading. I used this book in a booktalk. I made it sound really scary and left the kids wanting to read it just to find out what happened. The thing is, I hadn't read it - til now. It may not scare kids of today who are used to watching the goriest of movies, but I thought it had a fair amount of mystery -- just enough for me to read to the end to find out what was so wr ...more
Linda
Mar 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I am an adult reading a Stepping Stones Chapter Book, so my opinion is an adult one. I may have enjoyed this much more if I were a child. I actually planned to give it to my granddaughter who is 6 but I'll probably hold off for a year or so.

Jenna finds a perfect gift for her little sister who loves dolls. The neighbor is throwing away an antique doll so Jenna brings it home. Yes, the doll is creepy but as far as ghost stories go- I've read scarier. I don't think the story meshed well.
Tara
Jul 18, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls Looking for Their First Chapter Book
Looking for a birthday present for her little sister, Jenna stops by a neighbor's garage sale and spots an antique doll with a red velvet dress and matching bonnet. When Jenna inquires about the doll, the neighbor lady simply gives it to her and tells her that is once belonged to her little sister, who died of the scarlet fever long ago.

Not too creepy, but sufficiently spooky, I think my favorite part are the drawings by the same illustrator who does "The Sisters Grimm" series.
Skylar
I think this book so far is begenig to be a mystery but when jenna here's those mysterouce nioces like Dallas did some thing suspissouse is going on , when they gave the doll back to Quenn she just said NO because it's full and I want a doll that's empty and they had know idea what she was talking about.They tryed to give back the doll but it's to late even though she gave them the doll for free for Quenn's B-day.I guess I'll just have to keep on reading to find out more.
Kristen
This is a great choice for kids who have outgrown the Branches chapter books (Notebook of Doom, etc.) but aren't yet ready for Alvin Schwartz or Mary Downing Hahn. There's a real ghost, so it's spooky, but not truly threatening - all the ghost wants it to be at peace, and doesn't really bear malice toward the kids in the story.
Karin
Much better example of decent writing/age-appropriate content for young chapter book audience. Jenna picks up old-fashioned doll for her younger sis's b'day, but starts to realize there's something wrong with the doll when she brings it home. Gentle ghost story that's just spooky enough. Illustrations by same guy who does Sisters Grimm.
Carmine
Jul 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: early graders
good, suspenseful read for those making the transition from easy readers to longer chapter books. Manages to be spine-tingly creepy without being too scary. I love Peter Ferguson's illustrations.
Amy Brown
3rd/4th grade book, scary ghost story about a doll that isn't just a doll
Christy
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kenzie-2012
She liked it, but it was really scary for her at 9.
Morgan Williams
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's creepy when the ghost comes out of the crack in the doll's head!
Stef
Feb 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-chapter-books
A good ghost story for beginning readers. As I was reading the end I was all "Oh I saw that coming a mile away" And then I was all "Oh wait! This is a book for little kids! Silly stef!"
Rachel
It was a nice, short chapter book to read with the kids. A little scary and suspenseful...
Geneva
Scary but very good
Megan
Oct 13, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-fiction
Scary but not too scary. The perfect amount of suspense. This one will be great to book talk.
Shauna
Very cute. Loved the pictures. Perfect for little kids who want to get into the mystery/supernatural genre.
Ash
I would have enjoyed it more when I was little. It reminded me of a much better written "Are you afraid of the dark?" episode. Pleasantly spooky and wonderfully written.
Sandy Steiner
TRANSITIONAL READER, NOT TOO SCARY
BLUE GHOST ALSO
Barbara
Sep 30, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good book for s kid who wants a slightly scary and highly accessible read. Lots of pictures and easy to read words. Definitely a Stepping Stone title.
Cassie
Feb 18, 2016
Tamarah
Jan 22, 2014
Allison
Jul 18, 2009
Janaki
Jun 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was spooky in this book! It's a very nice mystery!
sharmin norville
Aug 10, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Marion Dane Bauer is the author of more than eighty books for young people, ranging from novelty and picture books through early readers, both fiction and nonfiction, books on writing, and middle-grade and young-adult novels. She has won numerous awards, including several Minnesota Book Awards, a Jane Addams Peace Association Award for RAIN OF FIRE, an American Library Association Newbery Honor Aw ...more
More about Marion Dane Bauer...

Ghost (4 books)