Start by marking “Mission of Honor (Honor Harrington, #12)” as Want to Read:
Mission of Honor (Honor Harrington, #12)

Mission of Honor

(Honor Harrington #12)

The Star Kingdom of Manticore and the Republic of Haven have been enemies for Honor Harrington's entire life, and she has paid a price for the victories she's achieved in that conflict. And now the unstoppable juggernaut of the mighty Solarian League is on a collision course with Manticore. The millions who have already died may have been only a foretaste of the billions ...more
Published June 22nd 2010 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Mission of Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mission of Honor

Start your review of Mission of Honor (Honor Harrington, #12)
Andreas
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Book 12 in the “main” Honor Harrington series finds Manticore finally confronting the Solarian League. As Weber has been hinting at for years, Manticore (and to a lesser degree, Haven) have both achieved very significant technological superiority compared to the league with regards to military hardware. The Solarian League is huge and powerful, but also complacent, arrogant, and full of self-delusion. Added to the mix is the growing threat from Mesa/Manpower. The main action in this book is ...more
Jim
Oct 07, 2011 rated it liked it
While an interesting addition to the Honor series, Weber is getting far too wordy for my taste. The universe has expanded a lot, so it does require more points of view & explanation, but I think he's going too far. There were a lot of long meetings between characters. I avoid meetings in real life. They're certainly not the stuff of which my fantastic dreams are made of, so their sheer number were a disappointment.

Weber tries to capture some immediacy with a lot of little sections from the
Poliwalk
Jun 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book was false advertising in my mind. It claims to be the 12th book in the Honor Harrington series but really it's another worlds of Honor book with her making a few appearances in some of the chapters. I'd be fine with that if the book jacket, cover, etc. made that point apparent. Moreover, this book has moved so far away from everything I loved about the early books. There is very little of the great action scenes and fun character interaction. Instead, almost the entire book is devoted ...more
Josh
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-sci-fi
The is the 12th outing in the Honor Harrington series, which has grown to the point that it's spawned short story collections and off-shoots elsewhere into the same universe. I was addicted to these for a while, but book 10 was disappointing and book 11 was even worse so I'd kind of given up.

The book made me happy to be back.

One of the biggest problems I was having with the series is at a certain point characters like this run out of places to go that have the same kind of action of the earlier
Ron
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ron by: Jon Moss
Weber is on a roll. I hesitate to award this book five stars because of the way it ends but the story doesn't. But, as any Honor Harrington reader who has gotten this far in the series knows, "If you can't take a joke. . . ."

Now that his new threat has found traction, Weber has left the mind-numbing recapitulations behind and forged into new plot territory. The action is varied, interwoven and galactic.

A good read.
Christopher
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kathy Davie
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military, action, sci-fi, homey
I do like to catch up with all the books in a series. On the other hand, I hate to catch up when I'm dying to know what's gonna happen next.

Gawd, there is so much happening on so many fronts in Mission of Honor and I was so terrified at what would happen I couldn't decide if I should tear through the book or set it aside every few chapters to stave off the bad news.

While this particular story is supposedly about Honor with her diplomatic mission to Haven, the honors were shared fairly equally
Allan
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Mission of Honor is the twelfth book in the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. The story takes place right after Storm in the Shadows and At All Costs. In At All Costs Honor and her eighth fleet have smashed the Havenite navy and the war between both star nations is over. The only thing left is to finally have a treaty between them. In the Talbott cluster, Admiral Michel Henke has just defeated a squadron of the Solarian navy, and the Solarians are not happy about it.

Throughout the history
Tracy Mazur
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Ugh. For an "Honor Harrington" book she was hardly freaking in it. This could have been 200-300 pages less, or had more content about the main characters of the series, and it would have been MUCH better. I'm ashamed to say that I skimmed nearly all the sections with the Solarian League and barely gave more attention to the stuff with Gold Peak - and I actually like her.

Very disappointed. I even took a break from the series before reading this one so I wouldn't be burned out.
P.H. Solomon
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
As usual, Weber tells a winding tale with long-running character, Honor Harrington. This book is chocked full of intrigue and the resulting tension - but only after a bit of a slow start. At times it's as dense as a Le Carre book but seems to bog down at times for no reason. Overall, I enjoyed this edition of the series.
Sable
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Honor! I've missed you!

Since I'm trying to read the Honorverse books in chronological order from On Basilisk Station, it's been some time since I've seen much of Honor Harrington. The development of the overarching macroplot that is the focus of the current books started with other characters, and only starts to splash on Honor peripherally at first, such as by sending her back to war with Haven (see At All Costs.)

But now she's in it up to her ears. Things are exploding between Manticore and the
Neil
I have to admit, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book, and I am glad that I took a chance and continued reading the series. I do wish it had focused more on Honor, but I am grateful it was "only" 600 pages long and not some 800+ page monstrosity like the last two books in the series. I would have rated it 3.5 for the first third or so of the book, but the latter part of the book really drags things along and slows down the pace, easily reducing it to a 3 out of 5 stars. The book did ...more
C.J. Rutherford
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, as usual.
Chuck
Oct 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Barb in Maryland
Jul 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-f-goodies
My oh my, when Weber wraps up a long running story arc he does it in style. For long time fans of the series--this is the book we have been waiting for. Finally the truth about the doctored documents (War of Honor,2002), the assassination of Ambassador Webster, the attempted assassinations of Queen Berry and Honor (At All Costs, 2005) are laid out during peace negotiations between Haven and Manticore. Finally, the leaders of both countries wake up and smell the coffee, as it were, regarding the ...more
Brian Palmer
In some ways, this was better than the previous book in the series -- it was less about huge numbers and starting to get more into intrigue. Honor Harrington was in fewer military battles; I've read that she was originally intended to be killed in the previous book, and here it seems Weber could have pulled it off.

On the other hand, Weber has either one or maaaybe two voices that he uses consistently for every single one of his characters' dialogue; for a book that features as many POV
Alaina
Sep 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Okay, the series is still entertaining, I'll give the author that. But several books ago it started getting too damn complicated for its own good, and this book is a perfect example of that. Weber seems to be running out of ideas and therefore resorts to introducing bigger and badder superweapons, more devastating battles with the Worst! Casualties! Ever! (including the deaths of even more of our favorite characters, just to keep us "invested"), and insanely Byzantine and improbable ...more
Miki
Jul 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: default
I know Weber must be very sick of writing these by now, but I *love* reading them. They're my reference for epic space opera. I'm not even irritated by the unsubtle references to parallel plot lines that are unfolding in interstitial short story anthologies, since the hardcover comes with a CD that probably has the entire corpus of relevant work on it and more, and if I didn't have another much anticipated book waiting for me, I'd be diving into it now. Valour, treachery, royalty, assassins, ...more
Julia
This dragged more than a lot of the Honor Harrington books. It has some really good parts (view spoiler) but had too many infodumps about how the different missiles worked. While the info about how the spider drive worked was probably necessary, it was way too long. And the meetings of the Solarian bureaucrats were also ...more
Hillary
Jul 20, 2010 added it
Shelves: library
oh david weber. i enjoy your plotting (although the politics is getting old) and yet I skip probably a quarter of the book. way too many characters who aren't central to the story.

although at 600 pages this is shorter than some of the recent ones.

also, the Honor Harrington plots have gone downhill since he ran out of Horatio Nelson. He should have killed her off as originally planned. Probably not the best move revenue wise, but the new books haven't been nearly as good as the older ones.
Linda
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
It has been over five years since I last read a book in the Honor Harrington series. I had forgotten how much each book deals with the politics of the Star Empire of Manticore, the Republic of Haven, the Solarian League, Mesa, and Manpower. Not that there isn't any space-opera action, because there is -- it just takes a back seat to political maneuverings. And, every once in a while, we get to catch up with what's happening with Honor, her family, and her adorable empathic treecat, Nimitz.
Mitchell
What can I say. It's book 12 of Honor Harrington though more like book 20 with side paths. I've waited several months for this book to make it through the hold system at the library and then I've read it in days. It is slow and overly long and I hope the author is getting paid by the word because it would explain a lot. And yet I'm clearly an addict. 4 of 5.
Henry Neufeld
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's David Weber and it's Honor Harrington. That's enough for me. I know some people are tired of all the political talk and the repetitions, but Weber is still on my "read everything he writes immediately" list.
Dan
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
2018 Re-read. Exceptional!
Rajen Patel
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Plodding storyline like the last few books.
E. Writes
May 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
I dragged myself through 800+ pages of interminably dry interchanges between politicos, enemies and allies, and then FINALLY we get a bunch of explosions that rip a couple planets' space stations apart.
Whelp. Everybody is sad, shocked, devastated... also sad. Did I mention shocked? Yes, also devastated. People tender their resignations for failing to see this coming. They are turned down. Does that stop them? NO! They tender those resignations again!
Also turned down.

Is there a bright side?
J.L. Dobias
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shelf-002
Mission of Honor (Honor Harrington Series #12) by David Weber

This piece is the crowning of a three book arc that leads into the next arc of stories in the never-ending story of Honor Harrington. David apparently had originally meant to kill off this main character somewhere along the line but she's a bit more stubborn than that and just like all Manticorans - they don't 'run scared' worth a damn.

There is a lot to love about this book as long as you are okay with all the political and military
Simone
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book follows a trend that I've noticed in multiple of the last Honorverse novels, and that is that it has a slow start. It took far longer for me to read the first third of the novel than the last third, in fact, I just finished this book at roughly 4am after sitting down with about 250 pages left intending to "read a chapter or two before bed". That intention went out of the window as the tension in the book rose.

I enjoyed most of the Haven centric chapters, but I once again found that I
Andrey
Nearly the whole book felt like spinning your wheels. Once every hundred pages or so something would happen only to be followed by 5+ chapters of people reacting to it and discussing it all over the galaxy. This could have been interesting *if their discussions actually informed us about something meaningful in their personalities or way of thinking* but like every other installment of the series there are only two types of characters- the good guys who all think the same thing in the same way ...more
Mike
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Mission of Honor marks David Weber’s twelth main entry into the Honorverse as it’s known amongst fans; though it is in truth a follow up to Storm from the Shadows; which Baen is marketing as a Disciples of Honor novel. Mission of Honor returns the titular character to the forefront though the sprawling events of the novel indicate that Weber’s Honorverse has become increasingly informed by his work on the Safehold series; a fact that is something of a double-edged sword. Some spoilery summary ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Citadel (Troy Rising, #2)
  • Mutineer (Kris Longknife, #1)
  • Defiant (Kris Longknife, #3)
  • Redoubtable (Kris Longknife, #8)
  • Intrepid (Kris Longknife, #6)
  • Deserter (Kris Longknife, #2)
  • Unrelenting (Kris Longknife, #13)
  • Daring (Kris Longknife, #9)
  • When the Tide Rises (Lt. Leary, #6)
  • Admiral (Kris Longknife, #16)
  • With the Lightnings (Lt. Leary, #1)
  • The Hot Gate (Troy Rising, #3)
  • The Way to Glory (Lt. Leary, #4)
  • Furious (Kris Longknife, #10)
  • Undaunted (Kris Longknife, #7)
  • Resolute (Kris Longknife, #4)
  • Stalwart (Kris Longknife, #19)
  • Live Free or Die (Troy Rising, #1)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name

Honor Harrington (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1)
  • The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2)
  • The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3)
  • Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4)
  • Flag in Exile (Honor Harrington, #5)
  • Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)
  • In Enemy Hands (Honor Harrington, #7)
  • Echoes of Honor (Honor Harrington, #8)
  • Ashes of Victory (Honor Harrington, #9)
  • War of Honor (Honor Harrington, #10)
“Hamish Alexander-Harrington knew his wife as only two humans who had both been adopted by a pair
of mated treecats ever could. He'd seen her deal with joy and with sorrow, with happiness and with fury,
with fear, and even with despair. Yet in all the years since their very first meeting at Yeltsin's Star, he
suddenly realized, he had never actually met the woman the newsies called "the Salamander." It wasn't his
fault, a corner of his brain told him, because he'd never been in the right place to meet her. Never at the
right time. He'd never had the chance to stand by her side as she took a wounded heavy cruiser on an
unflinching deathride into the broadside of the battlecruiser waiting to kill it, sailing to her own death, and
her crew's, to protect a planet full of strangers while the rich beauty of Hammerwell's "Salute to Spring"
spilled from her ship's com system. He hadn't stood beside her on the dew-soaked grass of the Landing
City duelling grounds, with a pistol in her hand and vengeance in her heart as she faced the man who'd
bought the murder of her first great love. Just as he hadn't stood on the floor of Steadholders' Hall when
she faced a man with thirty times her fencing experience across the razor-edged steel of their swords,
with the ghosts of Reverend Julius Hanks, the butchered children of Mueller Steading, and her own
murdered steaders at her back.
But now, as he looked into the unyielding flint of his wife's beloved, almond eyes, he knew he'd met the
Salamander at last. And he recognized her as only another warrior could. Yet he also knew in that
moment that for all his own imposing record of victory in battle, he was not and never had been her
equal. As a tactician and a strategist, yes. Even as a fleet commander. But not as the very embodiment of
devastation. Not as the Salamander. Because for all the compassion and gentleness which were so much
a part of her, there was something else inside Honor Alexander-Harrington, as well. Something he himself
had never had. She'd told him, once, that her own temper frightened her. That she sometimes thought she
could have been a monster under the wrong set of circumstances.
And now, as he realized he'd finally met the monster, his heart twisted with sympathy and love, for at last
he understood what she'd been trying to tell him. Understood why she'd bound it with the chains of duty,
and love, of compassion and honor, of pity, because, in a way, she'd been right. Under the wrong
circumstances, she could have been the most terrifying person he had ever met.
In fact, at this moment, she was .
It was a merciless something, her "monster"—something that went far beyond military talent, or skills, or
even courage. Those things, he knew without conceit, he, too, possessed in plenty. But not that deeply
personal something at the core of her, as unstoppable as Juggernaut, merciless and colder than space
itself, that no sane human being would ever willingly rouse. In that instant her husband knew, with an icy
shiver which somehow, perversely, only made him love her even more deeply, that as he gazed into those
agate-hard eyes, he looked into the gates of Hell itself. And whatever anyone else might think, he knew
now that there was no fire in Hell. There was only the handmaiden of death, and ice, and purpose, and a
determination which would not— couldnot—relent or rest.
"I'll miss them," she told him again, still with that dreadful softness, "but I won't forget. I'll never forget,
and one day— oneday, Hamish—we're going to find the people who did this, you and I. And when we
do, the only thing I'll ask of God is that He let them live long enough to know who's killing them.”
11 likes
“There's got to be at least some contact if they aren't going to lose their assets simply because someone dies before she gets around to telling her son or daughter "Oh, by the way. We're actually secret agents for the Mesan Alignment. Here's your secret decoder kit. Be ready to be contacted by the Galactic Evil Overlord on Frequency X with orders to betray the society you've been raised all your life to think of as your own.” 0 likes