Start by marking “The Cow Loves Cookies” as Want to Read:

The Cow Loves Cookies

The horse loves hay, the chickens need feed, the geese munch on corn, the hogs devour slop, the dog eats treats, but the cow loves…COOKIES? Don’t miss this barnyard treat, featuring a new cover, from the author of the New York Times bestselling Bear series.

With an original twist on the ordinary barnyard picture book, this read-aloud from bestselling author Karma Wilson is
Published July 6th 2010 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about The Cow Loves Cookies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cow Loves Cookies

Matt
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
All of the farm animals seem to be happy with the fare they are provided by the farmer. From slop for pigs to corn for the geese and a bale of hay for the horse. However, the cow much prefers a cookie or two. But why is that and how did it all come about? As the story progresses, the mystery is revealed and it all makes sense in the end. Neo loves his cookies and can see why the farmer and cow might share a special ritual together. Delicious things those sweets and complemented nicely with a goo ...more
Ezekiel
Sep 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
Rhyming book about the different farm animals and what they like to eat. Each time a new animal is named the list of the other animals follows, and the list rhymes but doesn't repeat from each repetition to the next. The illustrations are loose and colorful as well. So you think I'd at least like this book but...

I have to admit, I found the ending a little creepy, where the reason the cow loves cookies is because every day she and the farmer go have a "picnic lunch" where he milks her and they s
Marcie
Aug 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Marcie by: Woodbury new books
I love this participatory read aloud to follow with cookies and milk. I can't wait to read it to Kindergarten where I volunteer. I usually use an Amy Krause Rosenthal Cookies book to start my University class, but will probably use this in the fall. I can see it fitting into class farm units or poetry writing models. One page had a layout that was a problem for me as it altered traditional tracking and had the two page spread read top to bottom one page at a time, but did the reading left to rig ...more
Christine
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
By Karma Wilson

Awards: Iowa Goldfinch Award 2013-2014
Audience: Primary; K-2
Genre: Picture Book--Fiction

Pre-reading Strategy: T Chart
Before letting your students see the title of the book, create a T Chart (on the board or on chart paper).
On the left side write “Farm Animals” and on the left side write the question:”What type of food do they eat?”
Have students think of all the animals they can think of that might live on a farm (horse, cow, chickens, geese, hogs, dog, ducks,
LizzyBerry
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great reactions during storytime.
Sylvia
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
huge hit at all story times.
Syntha Green
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Excellent choice for storytime, rhymes and has a refrain the kids can join in on
Heidi-Marie
Very good. A perfect preschool storytime choice. The pictures are fun and not too busy. They also seem to have a "younger" quality to them. The rhyming is done well and makes the book flow. The repetition of what the animals eat is not distracting or annoying, and actually would make the kids feel more connected. The ending is hilarious.

A good choice for Beehive nominee. And I can't wait to try this in a storytime!

2/15/12 This worked quite well in storytime. It reads easily and the kids love the
Tasha
Jun 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Told in a jaunty rhyme, this book shows life on a farm through a funny, quirky lens. Farmer feeds each animal every day. The horse eats hay. The chickens eat chicken feed. The geese eat corn. The pig eats slop. The dog loves doggie treats. As each animal is introduced along with the food it eats, the chorus chimes in with “the cow loves cookies.” Then with each new animal, the previous ones are added to the rhyme, forming a fun, cumulative tale. In the end, the reader will be pleased to find out ...more
The Library Lady
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
No matter who the illustrator, Karma Wilson's books are always a delight and this one is no exception.
Her sense of rhythm is as impeccable here as in the immortal Bear Snores On series, but here she has turned to the farmyard.
Most of Farmer's animals eat what animals usually eat, but not the cow. Each stanza ends with the chorus "but the cow loves cookies". Save for the last page, that is, which ends with a nice little twist that might make for a sequel. The illustrations are bold, bright and fu
Reader
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Man did this one fly under the radar in 2010 (hmm - some sort of children's literary cloaking device?). It's about time to give it the recognition it deserves. An absolute read aloud winner that invites participation and puts a fresh face on a setting and style (the farm and rhyming) that has been around the block once or thrice. It doesn't seem like it, but the book is essentially a mystery - namely, what's up with the cow loving cookies? All the other farm animals like the usual feed and slop, ...more
Loren
Aug 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My new favorite book of 2010! I can't say enough about how wonderful this book is ... it has everything going for it (illustrations, wonderful rhyming, humor). Like I said can't say enough ... don't miss this one. I think this should be considered when Caldecott time rolls around in 2010 although the illustrations do not stand alone in terms of plot and story progression they are refreshing and delightful all the same. I have always been a huge Karma Wilson fan (even before she visited the Dubli ...more
John
Aug 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
I usually read in complete silence. It takes a lot of energy for me to focus and my mind often wanders to lesson plans, other books I need to read, and fifty other things. You probably don't know this but I'm the Energizer Bunny. Therefore, I know a picture book is perfect when my long TO DO list disappears and I read the entire book aloud to an empty room. The Cow Loves Cookies is one of those books.
Kathryn
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
There is nothing particularly ground-breaking about this book in which various farm creatures get their traditional feed, but the cow insists on the cookies that she loves so well. But, gosh, it's so cute--I love Karma Wilson, her rhymes are always so engaging and delightful, and the illustrations are very cute, too. I like the reciprocal relationship the farmer and the cow have and the ending just left me with a big grin and a chuckle.
Cristina
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Can see this being a big hit with the preschools as they can shout "the cow loves cookies!" all the time throughout the story.
Patrick Hamill
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dan Hyer
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Not one of my favorites, but my 3.5 year old kids love this, and this is one of their most requested books to read at bedtime. I think that its a combination of the artwork and the storyline. We've renewed it 4 times from the library and it's time for it to go back and get something else in rotation.
Anthony
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, children-s
A tale of rhyme about all the farm animals on the farm that love their favorite foods, the horse likes his hay, the chickens love their feed, the geese their corn, the hogs love their slop, and the dog loves his treats, but not the cow, she loves things sweet. Read along to find out why, and don't forget the duck.
Adalyn McCarty
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: el-230
This would be a great book for the younger grade levels. It is a sequence book that goes through all the different farm animals and what they eat. After all the animals are repeated a new one gets added in and I think it's great for kids working in sequences and memorization. The illustrations are simple and cute and I'm sure it will make the kids giggle.
Becky Keir Grace
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
All the animals on the farm love their food, but the cow loves cookies! Why does the cow love cookies so much? This is a cute, rhyming story that tells the story on the farm animals and a cookie loving cow. The illustrations were very nice as well.
Kerri Lynn
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children who enjoy picture books, humor, farms, rhyming books, cookies!
My preschooler and I enjoyed this book so much. As fellow cookie enthusiasts, we completely agree with the cow! This book is funny and great as a read aloud, with repetition and rhyming. The illustrations are bold and humorous, complementing the funny text. We giggled our way through.

Catherine
How did I forget to enter this book before now? It is a cute story with a first-grade-type surprise ending. Great for use in the earliest days of the school year along with the cookie graph that we usually make.
Becky Kondritz
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: margaret-gma
A lively, catchy picture book. Perfect repetition for littles. My favorite is finding the cat in all of the pictures. This book answers the question as to a farmer and a cow would pair up.
Kristin
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, farm, animals, cows
Possible puppet story... maybe use the fake cookies with it
laura (bookies & cookies)
Look! It me!
Miss Sarah
All the animals on the farm love their snacks but the cow will only eat cookies why? toddler and up. so cute and funny
Liz Goble
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I love Karma Wilson's books!
Lori
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We read this book at the Boys and Girls Club today. It was fun!
Emily Carlyn
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
Perfect for having kids repeat the phrase: "And the cow loves cookies!" Plus, the pun at the end is SO GOOD! Will have parents laughing.
Trisha Parsons
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
A great book for interactive reading because it has a refrain: "The cow loves cookies"
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• I Spy on the Farm
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Where Is Tippy Toes?
  • Jump!
  • If You're Hoppy
  • Chicken Big
  • Sylvie
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more