Start by marking “A Gift of Age: Old Lesbian Life Stories” as Want to Read:
A Gift of Age:  Old Lesbian Life Stories

A Gift of Age: Old Lesbian Life Stories

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  11 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Collection of biographies from lesbians based on interviews taken for the Old Lesbian Oral Herstory Project.
Published 2009 by OLOHP

To ask other readers questions about A Gift of Age, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Gift of Age

Sharon Raphael
Mar 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A Gift of Age will grab you. Each story is a separate adventure and all the Lesbians interviewed have fascinating and productive lives. It has been a while since I read the book but figure I need to go back again again and refresh my memory of sisters who had the strength to endure and thrive in homophobic times. Not that anything has changed so extremely much but still the fifties and forties were very difficult times for Lesbians trying to find a place in the world. I look forward to new volum ...more
Sara
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it
This book tells the life stories of many women growing up in the early 1900s. The women are also gay and they share their stories of coming out and feeling different than everyone else.
Knowing that the stories were taken from question/answer oral interviews, I can understand that it must have been difficult to transfer to a story format. Some of the storylines seemed awkwardly pieced together.
Overall, I think it is a great way to capture glimpses of what life was like for these women. Some were
Dr Kay
Feb 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book of old lesbians' personal history. No one has ever documented this history in this personal style. It is fun to see the similarities and differences. I know Eversmeyer and she drove all over the country, visiting these people and documenting their lives. There is nothing like hands-on. I did not know what to expect, but I read it in one sitting. These women made lives even with the prejudice, had great jobs, and got on with living in spite of it all. Fascinating.
Yeva
Nov 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Though I've just received this book, I cannot put it down. It's absolutely lovely, and makes me proud to be a part of lesbian herstory.
Anne