Start by marking “Salt, Lemons, Vinegar, and Baking Soda” as Want to Read:
Salt, Lemons, Vinegar, and Baking Soda

Salt, Lemons, Vinegar, and Baking Soda

The Fab Four: Salt, lemons, vinegar, and baking soda are the all-you-need all-stars of the home. From personal hygiene and grooming to household cleaning and gardening, this powerful quartet has a long and storied history of usefulness that is also utterly modern and of-the-moment: green, cheap, and effective. Beginning with a brief introduction to each of these amazing su ...more
Published September 18th 2009 by Metro Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Salt, Lemons, Vinegar, and Baking Soda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salt, Lemons, Vinegar, and Baking Soda

Kelli
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love lemons! This simple little book could be the only thing I ever needed to rid my home of chemical-filled cleaners. I will circle back around soon and let you know!
Diane
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Love the very simple cleaning solutions and the fact that they are very inexpensive and non-toxic and are made from very basic itesm. I have to say, now I realize there is no better cleaner than baking soda. Unbelievable.
Ryan
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible - gives information/history about each of these ingredients & then provides tons of uses for these items to clean organically. This book is super practical & is highly useful - I really want to get a copy for all of my family!
Marjorie Elwood
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: environment
Lots of great ideas for cleaning, including indoor and outdoor uses, as well as ideas for cleaning pet areas, all using the four ingredients in the title. In addition, each ingredient has a section on kid's activities, such as making invisible ink with lemon juice. The index is superlative.
Karen
Dec 27, 2012 added it
Withholding a rating until I have had a chance to implement some of the ideas. I know for a fact that a few don't work, and there are several that I've done in the past that work nicely. I have identified a few others that I want to try out.
minervasowl
Dec 30, 2012 rated it liked it
A lot of these ideas I have heard of or seen before, but I wouldn't remember specific proportions or combinations, so I am looking forward to trying out these less toxic cleansing possibilities.
Kayla
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-shelves
very useful for anyone looking for alternative cleaning methods.
Elyse
2017 Reading Challenge #40: you bought on a trip.
Michele Auch
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome tips, easy to read.

A little more science would have been nice to learn about so I could understand and apply concepts instead of follow recipies.
Cindy
“Salt, lemons, vinegar, and baking soda are the all-you-need all-stars of the home. From personal hygiene and grooming to household cleaning and gardening, this powerful quartet has a long and storied history of usefulness that is also utterly modern and of-the-moment: green, cheap, and effective.

Beginning with a brief introduction to each of these amazing substances, this comprehensive book of household hints (useful indoors and out, for people and for pets) offers hundreds of smart solutions f
Tracy
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Plenty of interesting stuff. Some I've tried, & mostly it worked; some I haven't (yet). I did switch to mostly using vinegar for cleaning non-wood surfaces & I've found there's been a huge difference in *ME* afterward -- fewer headaches, skin doesn't feel as tight & itchy afterward. So there's that. If you're looking for more "green" or common-household-pantry-items solutions, this is definitely a great place to start.
Ashley
Kaiela Clarke
Dec 02, 2016
Angie
Jul 15, 2012 added it
a lot of good, green usages for these 4 common household items!
Crystal Gard
May 27, 2013
Carol
Jul 04, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Baking Soda: Over 500 Fabulous, Fun, and Frugal Uses You've Probably Never Thought of
  • The Bartender's Black Book
  • The Glorious Pasta of Italy
  • Clean House Clean Planet
  • What We Eat When We Eat Alone: Stories and 100 Recipes
  • Essential Kanji: 2,000 Basic Japanese Characters Systematically Arranged for Learning and Reference
  • La Conjugaison Pour Tous
  • Green This!: Greening Your Cleaning (Green This, #1)
  • The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary
  • The Earth Knows My Name: Food, Culture, and Sustainability in the Gardens of Ethnic Americans
  • Human Evolution: A Very Short Introduction
  • Home Improvement 1-2-3: Expert Advice from the Home Depot
  • The Naturally Clean Home: 101 Safe and Easy Herbal Formulas for Nontoxic Cleansers
  • Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary
  • The House that Cleans Itself: Creative Solutions for a Clean and Orderly House in Less Time Than You Can Imagine
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Non-Toxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, and, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • Mudras: Yoga in Your Hands
  • Let it Rot!: The Gardener's Guide to Composting (Storey's Down-to-Earth Guides)
Shea Zukowski is an editor and writer specializing in earth-friendly information and natural living. A former senior editor for Rodale Books, she spent years seeking out the best advice related to cooking, health, nutrition, and pets. She lives in the blissfully quiet town of Emmaus, Pennsylvania, with her husband and two sons.