Start by marking “The Fury (Henry Parker #4)” as Want to Read:
The Fury (Henry Parker #4)

The Fury (Henry Parker #4)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  321 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
The brother journalist Henry Parker never knew has been shot point-blank in a rat-hole apartment, wasted by hunger and heroin. Stephen Gaines was a man with whom Henry shared nothing - expect a father. Now Henry is forced to question everything he ever knew - and figure out why this man was murdered in cold blood.
Published September 1st 2010 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about The Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fury

Torsten
Jan 09, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have never read a crime novel with as many blatant errors as this one. I am wondering how this can make it past proofreading and editors?
The story itself is good and the writing not bad, but it is as if it has been churned out too quickly, without considering the fine details. This is a fatal flaw in a detective novel where the readers will be paying close attention in attempt to solve the mystery as he/she goes along.

Examples:
Stephen Gaines is first described as "disheveled, wearing rags" - l
Andy Plonka
Good series featuring a New York City journalist who can't seem to help getting himself into al kinds of trouble. This time he ends up investigating the death of a half brother he never knew he had.
Justine Cynthia
Storyline started out ok and then I lost interest. Editing is horrible.
Robert Beveridge
Jason Pinter, The Fury (Mira, 2009)

The Fury is the fourth novel in Pinter's Henry Parker series. Had I known this, I would probably have not had Vine ship it to me, as I haven't read the first three books in the series. It doesn't help that I also missed in my skim of the product description that the book is published by Mira, and my encounters with Mira-published novels have, to date, been entirely unsatisfactory. This did, however, give me the chance to address two questions that have been sit
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon-vine, 2010
2 1/2 stars

The is the 4th Henry Parker book. This is the first one that I have read. I don't feel that I missed out on the story in this book without having read the prior books, but they were mentioned quite a bit and I may have missed out on some of the relationships that that Henry has with other characters.

In this book, Henry finds out that he has a brother, but only after his brother is murdered. Then his father is accused of the crime. Henry isn't close to his father, but he believes in h
Sandie
Secrets from the past collide with the present in the continuing saga of journalist Henry Parker when a seemingly indigent and strung-out addict approaches him outside his office building desperate to speak to him. The man is later found murdered and police discover that he is Parker’s half-brother, Stephen Gaines.

Haunted by painful memories of his estranged, abusive father and cowered mother, he nevertheless decides to journey from New York to his childhood home in Bend, Oregon seeking answers
Cheryl
Oct 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reporter Henry Parker is back. This time he may have found himself in a way over his head.

Henry was leaving the office, when he was approached by a drug junkie. The man tells Henry…” The city’s gonna burn.” Henry may have given the guy a chance if he hadn’t been a junkie. That evening, Henry receives a phone call from the authorities. They want Henry to come down and identify a body. It is the same man who Henry ran into earlier today. His name is Stephen Gaines. Supposedly Mr. Gaines is Henry’
Sheila Beaumont
In these days of print journalism's decline, we are seeing quite a number of mysteries featuring investigative reporters, including Jason Pinter's compelling Henry Parker series. "The Fury" asks the question "Am I my brother's keeper?" Our hero, a New York Gazette reporter, confronted by a homeless-looking junkie who begs for his help, brushes him aside, and later finds out that this stranger, identified as his half brother, has been murdered.

To investigate the slaying, Henry, along with his gir
Mirella Grace
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: violet-books
Ceritanya makin bagus... Bisa bisa dapet bintang 5... Sayang, akhir cerita gak seperti yang aku harapkan. Gak tuntas gitu. Curiga, jangan jangan buku ke 5 yang The Darkness bakal nyangkut ke masalah yang ada di buku The Fury ini... Mudah mudahan iya, udah penasaran abis soalnya...

Di buku ini, lagi lagi si Henry Parker kudu nyelidikin konspirasi sebuah kasus. Dimulai dari tewasnya Stephen Gaines, saudara tiri yang gak pernah dia kenal or tahu, lalu penangkapan ayahnya atas pembunuhan Stephen, sam
Jaime
Oct 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t realize this wasn’t the first in the Henry Parker series until after I started reading it, which is unfortunate since I actually *do* have the first book sitting in my TBR pile. Thankfully, reading the previous books is not crucial in your enjoyment of this book — you just miss out on some character development, though several previous events are alluded to. Henry’s not the easiest guy to like, but I found that I warmed up to him. He’s had an unhappy family life, so when a murder victim ...more
Shannon
Aug 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Henry Parker adventure.

This story follows the aftermath of the tragic life of Henry's half-brother--a brother he didn't know existed. We get to travel to Bend, Oregon and there meet Henry's dysfunctional mother and father. After a brief stopover, it's back to NYC where Henry's investigative nose digs deep into his brother's past causing (in true Henry form) quite a bit of trouble for both him and Amanda.

Pinter does a great job compelling the reader to turn pages (as witnessed by m
Kercelia
The Fury is a moderately entertaining read if you like mysteries and thrillers. The story centers around Henry Parker, an up-and-coming newspaper reporterdiscovers too late that he has a half-brother. He soon must try to solve the mystery of who murdered his brother. His girlfriend, Amanda features prominently in the story, and much is revealed about the isolation that exists between he and his parents(whom he has not seen for a decade). Henry has several close calls during his adventure. I did ...more
Mike
Jan 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth book in the Henry Parker (reporter) series. I like the Henry Parker character alot and the suspenseful pace of the book was good. I now move onto THE HUNTERS which is an ebook novella that bridges THE FURY with the newest release THE DARKNESS. I do recommend that you read the series in order which starts with THE MARK.
Julie
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I definitely enjoyed this book. I like Henry and Amanda's relationship. I was also intrigued by Henry's relationship (or lack thereof) with his family. Good cliffhanger. Looking forward to plunging right into The Darkness and reading more about Jack O'Donnell. (I was disappointed in the numerous spelling and grammatical errors.)
Clay
Jul 04, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad read if you're looking for a quick, cheap thrill. A decent mystery with a decent plot. Holds your attention, but a tad predicitable and plays into stereotypes a bit too much. The characters seem a bit stock if you will.

Would be good for a day at the beach.
Jennifer Brooks
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
21/3/17 - Quick paced, easy read, journalist based mystery. Ending slightly disappointing, but left open for next book.

10/9/17 - read opening chapter, seemed random and slow. nothing pithy to grab me.
Bill
Sep 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as good as the earlier entries in the Henry Parker series. The plot is strong with journeyman writing, but Pinter tends to turn to melodrama throughout. I found it tiring after a while. But I stuck with the story and found it a worthwhile read.
Mike
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read with a few twists and turns. Might need to go back and read books 1-3 in the series!
Carol
Oct 25, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just found it on my bookshelf at home. Hadn't been to the library for a while, so didn't have anything else to read.
Lori
Feb 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be continued in The Darkness. Henry has a half brother, with a mysterious past. Very quick read.
Kelly Barhorst
Pinter delivers with the Henry Parker series. Interesting, page turner and makes you excited to read the next book. I enjoyed this book.
Tammy
Jan 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was pretty good, maybe could have been a little more exciting, but overall pretty good.
Sillyrabid
Eh, 'sokay. Three stars.
Jack
Jul 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
I like the main character a lot, writing is decent, plot is average. I'll probably read more of them because I like the character
Diane Fanning
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable series from Jason Pinter. Henry Parker is a very empathetic protagonist even though he can be a bit of a bonehead with personal relationships at times.
Indah Threez Lestari
303 - 2016
Caity
Oct 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
More of the same repetitive drivel about Henry Parker and his perfect-but-damaged girlfriend, Amanda.

I couldn't even finish it.
Raquel7vegas
Jun 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this book again! I read this first and it wasn't the first so I went back and read the first ones now I'm re-reading this one :)
Pauline
Enjoyed this book but always feel that something is lacking. No idea what and wish I could write a book.
Jason Pinter is the bestselling author of five novels in his Henry Parker thriller series, which have over one million copies in print worldwide and have been published in over a dozen countries, as well as the Middle Grade adventure novel Zeke Bartholomew: SuperSpy. He has been nominated for the Thriller Award, Strand Critics Award, Barry Award, RT Reviewers Choice Award, Shamus Award and CrimeSp ...more
More about Jason Pinter...

Henry Parker (6 books)
  • The Mark (Henry Parker #1)
  • The Guilty (Henry Parker #2)
  • The Stolen (Henry Parker #3)
  • The Darkness (Henry Parker #5)
  • The Invited (Henry Parker #6)