Start by marking “Up In Smoke (Silver Dragons, #2)” as Want to Read:
Up In Smoke (Silver Dragons, #2)

Up In Smoke (Silver Dragons #2)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  6,050 Ratings  ·  169 Reviews
Though May Northcott's heart belongs to Gabriel Tauhou, leader of the silver dragons, being stuck in Abaddon has significantly cooled down her love life--especially since a demon lord is trying to woo her. So far, May has resisted his efforts, but it's getting increasingly harder to thwart disaster.

So May is shocked when Gabriel encourages her to give in to the demon princ
Published March 27th 2010 by Not Avail (first published October 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Up In Smoke, please sign up.

Renee Ericson No, this book is #2 to the Silver dragon Sept series. The silver dragon series comes out after Aisling Grey though, and follows the story line from…moreNo, this book is #2 to the Silver dragon Sept series. The silver dragon series comes out after Aisling Grey though, and follows the story line from there. After that its Love in the Time of Dragons and the Light dragon series. Then it gets interesting as she has three one book stories for the Black, the Red, and the Indigo (New sept) dragons. There is also a small novella devoted to the First Dragon. We are still waiting on a story for the Blue Dragons. Something happens between the last book of the Light Dragons series, and the Black dragons, that is never fully explained, and you will feel like you are missing a book. I still wish she would write us a short novella that explains that part.(less)

Julie (jjmachshev)
Oct 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
If someone asked me why I like Katie MacAlister's 'Aisling Grey/Dragon' series, it would be hard to come up with just one reason. There's hot dragon sex, there's comedy, humor and silliness, there's a demon masquerading as a Newfoundland dog, there's mystery and treachery, and did I mention the hot dragon sex?

Mayling is a doppelganger. She was created by a pact between her 'sister' the naiad Cyrene and the Demon Lord Magoth. Cyrene sacrificed her common sense (and boy does she give airhead a new
Martina the Book Fairy
Up In Smoke is technically book 2 in the Silver Dragon series. However, the series works a lot better if you read the 4-part Aisling Grey series first as Aisling and her mate, Drake show up a TON in the Silver Dragon series.

I liked Up In Smoke, but much less than previous books. It might be that I just don't like May (the "heroine") as much as I liked Aisling from the first series. But, since I very much enjoy the world, I shall continue reading it.

I've learned from the author's website that the
Argh. I don't know what is going on with Katie MacAlister but I once again got to the end of her book and turned the last page - realized the story was ending and said WTF? I think my issue here is that this book really can't be read alone and honestly - there is no resolutions here - just a furthering of the plot. I suspect the next book will have more meat in the story - but as for this one - it was all filler - building for the next book.

I am not sure why that bothers me - I think it's been
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
While this second book didn't grab me like the first one did, it was still enjoyable. May's life is way more screwed up than Aisling's ever was - it's kinda fun to see what MacAlister can come up with :)

She ends up being Magoth's consort in order to get out of Abbadon and back to Gabriel, along with Magoth whose powers are minimal in our world, but Magoth is just a side plot that doesn't pop up again until the very end. The real story here is about the dragon heart shards that are housed in phy
WildAboutBones
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This second of MacAlister's Silver Dragon series is a delightful continuation of the first book. This story picks up one month after the last book finished on a cliffhanger.

May, the doppelganger mate of the Silver dragon's leader Gabriel, has been stuck in Abaddon (Hell) with Magoth, the demon lord, for almost 6 weeks trying to keep from becoming his Consort. She is in this mess because she disobeyed a direct order from Magoth to keep from giving a Silver dragon valued treasure to him thus being
Jan
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance - Dragon Lovers
The Flooze
I want so badly to like Katie MacAllister's world, but for some reason, this story and Playing with Fire both fell short. Every plot point seemed to need further development. The story-telling strikes me as shallow with respect to details. And the jealousy that exists between the dragons gets very tiresome. A little show of testosterone is great, but MacAllister makes it a major plot point. The fact that no one seems to respect a couple's pairing only serves to undermine the idea that the couple ...more
Diana
May 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, romance
May has been trapped as a demon lord's consort in Abaddon, striving to win her freedom to return to Gabriel. When they are finally reunited, a mysterious dragon who can enter the shadow world along with intrigues in the blue and red septs threaten any chance for a happily ever after.

So close to a happy ending, but then one last twist has to crop up... I suppose I'm definitely not used to these story arcs with multiple issues coming up before we get a happily ever after, but I think I do find the
Lori Whitwam
Nov 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Roberta
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: paranormal fans, MacAlister fans, dragon fans
Shelves: paranormal, romance
Up to her usual standards, a quick and fun read. I took a writing seminar once where the instructor said that one way that you have a great story is to ask yourself if your characters would want to hurt you if they came to life and met you. I honestly think that in MacAlister's case, May would definitely want to do her bodily harm. Plot twist after plot twist occurs. More about the world is revealed. Jim the demon in Newfoundland form is in the book.

Good solid read, but read the Aisling Grey and
Jess
Dec 03, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the first
May and Gabriel, the doppelganger and dragon duo, are back with problems from a demon lord and several dragons.

I think it comes down to my not liking May and Gabriel as much as Aisling and Drake. A & D make a few cameos, which reminded me that I'd like to be reading this from their p.o.v. I had read about half before thanksgiving break and left it at my apartment for the week; that says it all.

I will say that there is a hilarious bit with Pal. Also - Cyrene wasn't so annoying this time aro
Emily
Aug 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those of you who read, Katie MacAlister, you won't be disappointed. I think I like May and Gabriel better than Aisling and Drake. I like both series a lot but May is less whiney than Aisling was. It is okay to complain and be bitchy occasionaly but honestly a herione that just constantly does that even in "funny" manner gets boring after a while. I like this world too and am looking forward to the rest of the series.
Anna
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Per usual, this book is hysterical. I love that MacAlister can be funny and still have a serious plot. I've enjoyed all these books since the beginning of the Aisling Grey series, and this was no exception. Her characters are believable, the plots are intriguing, and the conversations will make you laugh.
A.B. Shepherd
This book has fun, quirky characters and tons of action. If I had one complaint it might be that there was almost TOO MUCH action, and not enough character development. Overall, an enjoyable, escapist read.
Loretta
While not my favorite book in the Sept Series, I am still delighted in the turmoil and upheaval that consumes May's life! Hot scenes, frustratingly stubborn dragons, and demon lords of all calibers. What a trip!
Mary Jo
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 forgot I was reading this book so finished it quickly. I still liked the others in this series. was a slower read yet still ok.
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
One thing I liked about this book, was the humor. Jim is (probably) my favorite character.
Josie
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: silver-dragons
Bailey Peyton
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this one less star, due to convoluted nature of the plot. We open on a consort/marriage-ish ceremony between Magoth and May, and this turns into a loophole for her to be with her mate, Gabriel. I was SO happy that Ms. MacAlister didn't do that dreaded second book trope where the lovers are separated for a majority of the book, so it turns into a brooding "wish you were here" b.s. Cy got on my nerves even more in this book (she and Sally are a tie) and she wasn't even in it half the ti ...more
Violet
Somehow too much and too little at the same time. Plot twists are all good and dandy, and constant action is mighty fine too, and yet humor is stale, with exception of the cursed penis. That's just atrocious. Even demon dog Jim is fails.
But I shall persevere.
Josephine
So the saga continues.
78sunny
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,4 von 5 Sternen
*Inhalt:*
(Inhaltsangabe von der LYX Homepage)
WER EINEN DRACHEN LIEBT, RISKIERT SICH ZU VERBRENNEN …Die Doppelgängerin May ist die Seelengefährtin des Silberdrachen Gabriel. Doch auch der attraktive Dämon Magoth gibt sich die größte Mühe, May für sich zu gewinnen. Und dieser fällt es immer schwerer, seinen Verführungsversuchen zu widerstehen. Umso erschütterter ist sie, als Gabriel sie bittet, dem Werben des Dämons nachzugeben. Was führt der Drache im Schilde?"

*Wie kam das Buch z
Ana Rodriguez
3.0

There is something strange about this book, something I can't put my finger on.

description

Okay, for starters, I'll clarify that I do NOT think this book is predictable. All the obstacles that have been put into it for the main characters are fairly interesting and I never thought about them before. There's just something unsurprising about it. Like every curve ball the author threw -- which, were quite a few I must add -- was foreseen. It's just that you know all along that things for Gabriel and May ar
Mimis Bookworld
Nun denn, habe ich es endlich mal geschafft den zweiten Band zu lesen. ;)
Die Gestaltung des Covers wurde an den Vorgänger angepasst. Dadurch entsteht ein gewisser Wiedererkennungswert. Und neben bei sind die Bücher richtig toll anzusehen.

Der Schreibstil der Autorin gefällt mir sehr gut. Er trieft nur so vor Sarkasmus und Humor. Gut Romantik ist auch dabei, aber das ist für mich nur eine Art Nebenprodukt. Zwischendurch hatte ich echt Tränen in den Augen, weil ich Lachen musste.
Und dennoch wurde d
Bloggin' Hinkenpinken
Darum geht es:
May Northcott ist die Gefährtin des Silberdrachen Gabriel. Doch sie ist an den Dämonenfürsten Magoth gebunden und der hält sie in Abbadon fest und will sie zu seiner Gemahlin machen. Mit Aislings Hilfe tüftelt Gabriel einen Plan aus, May aus Abbadon zu befreien. Doch dazu muss sie Magoths Werben nachgeben. Der Plan gelingt. May ist endlich zurück in der Welt der Sterblichen und damit zurück bei ihrem geliebten Drachen. Als kleiner Nebeneffekt taucht auch Magoth dort auf. Er hat zwa
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under the Covers

Gabriel, Gabriel, Gabriel. *sigh* I may have had this weird picture in my head while reading this book that Gabriel looked like Jason Momoa in this picture.

And you girls might know of my love and fascination with that man. So that coupled with the fact that Gabriel is just smooth and sexy and Oh.My.Gawd.HAWT certainly made me tingnle and just want to get some of his fire!

But as much as I thought I was going to love Gabriel and May as a couple, they sort
Kathy
Zel Polev
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jennie
Sep 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: katie fans
Alyssa
Oh, poor May! It's Aisling all over again! Haha.

You'd think that becoming a wyvern's mate would mean that things might calm down or something. You know, just let the lovers be happy for a bit. But if there is a wrench our dear author can throw in the works, she throws not just one but all of them.

At the beginning of Up In Smoke , we find May stuck in Abaddon, missing Gabriel, and about to become her demon lord Magoth's consort. Gabriel quickly comes up with a plan to get her out of Abaddon, but
Who would you cast? 5 21 Oct 20, 2011 12:32PM
  • Circus of the Darned (Ben and Fran, #2)
  • G.A. Aiken Bundle: The Dragon Who Loved Me, What a Dragon Should Know, & Last Dragon Standing
  • Princess of the Damned
  • Haven (Tranquilli Bloodline, #1)
  • Who Ran My Underwear up the Flagpole?
  • Ghost of a Chance (Karma Marx, #1)
  • The Heavenward Path (Mitsuko, #2)
  • Must Love Dragons (Immortally Sexy, #2)
  • Dressed to Slay (Darkheart & Crosse Trilogy #1)
  • Guardian's Joy (Guardians of the Race, #3)
  • Kiss of Fate  (Dragonfire, #3)
  • Wishful Thinking
  • Naked Dragon (Works Like Magick, #1)
  • Paint it Black (Sonja Blue, #3)
  • Because Your Vampire Said So (Broken Heart #3)
  • Everlong (Daughters of Askara #1)
  • 恋だの愛だの 1 [Koi Dano Ai Dano 1]
  • Shadow of the Vampire
For as long as she can remember, Katie MacAlister has loved reading. Growing up in a family where a weekly visit to the library was a given, Katie spent much of her time with her nose buried in a book. Despite her love for novels, she didn't think of writing them until she was contracted to write a non-fiction book about software. Since her editor refused to allow her to include either witty dialo ...more
More about Katie MacAlister...

Silver Dragons (3 books)
  • Playing With Fire (Silver Dragons #1)
  • Me and My Shadow (Silver Dragons #3)
“Carrie Fay always says that nothing is really horrible unless it eats away your face.” 10 likes
“That’s the river up there. We’ll likely have to spend the night.’’ He slid me a curious glance. ‘‘I never asked whether you liked roughing it. I suppose now would be a good time, eh?’’

‘‘Cyrene wouldn’t be caught dead camping, not for the largest lake in the world, but I have nothing against nature.’’ A large cicada flew in through the window and smacked me on the face. Startled, I instantly shadowed and batted frantically at my face. It buzzed upward, into my hair. I shrieked and tried to cram my upper half out of the window in an attempt to dislodge the beastly thing.

Gabriel drove with one hand while plucking the large bug off the top of my head. He held it in front of me, one eyebrow raised as I deshadowed.

‘‘All right, perhaps I would have never made it as a Girl Scout, but you can’t judge me by my reaction to being assaulted by a large, hairy bug. I like animals. On the whole. And they like me. I just don’t like them flying into my face intent on making me look bad in front of you.’’

The cicada made an odd little chirping sound, just as if it was agreeing with me. Gabriel laughed and tossed it out of the window”
0 likes