Start by marking “Sleepy ABC” as Want to Read:
Sleepy ABC

Sleepy ABC

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  177 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
From A is for Aaaah when a small kitten sighs to Z is for Zipper now zip into bed . . . here are twenty-six ways to say goodnight.

Margaret Wise Brown wrote this book not long after she wrote Goodnight Moon. (She knew a thing or two about putting little ones to bed.)

Now Karen Katz has made it shine with bright and cheerful new pictures. Any sleepy toddler will want to read
Published December 29th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published October 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Sleepy ABC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleepy ABC

ABC
Sep 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: babies to preschoolers
Shelves: younger-kids
This is a sweet book with dream pictures. If you aren't religious, you may want to avoid it because "H is for Heaven high over head"
Mikey Briccetti
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alphabet
1) No awards
2) Pre-k to Kindergarten
3) Easy your child to sleep as you also teach them their ABCs. Each letter has its own little passage that relates to something leading up to bed time or when they sleep. As you go through each one rhymes with the previous page giving a rhythmic feel of things to help ease them to sleep
4) This book is offers a soothing sensation through its simple sentences with each letter. The art style uses more darker colors as supposed to neon styled colors making the pic
Kristen
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This is an alphabet book that has sentences describing the letters all relating to nighttime and sleep. It is illustrated by Karen Katz - which is why I think my daughter was drawn to it. I did like the theme to all the descriptions, but some were very repetitive, like the author couldn't think of anything else for some of the descriptions so she just repeated one she'd used earlier.

I enjoyed the illustrations, as I always do with Karen Katz. They're colorful, yet this still had a soft, sleepy f
Karen
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week. The version we read featured illustrations by Esphyr Slobodkina, and was a reprint of the 1953 original.

My son loves ABC books, but this one was a bit young for him. I only regained his attention after I added the word "like Molly" (our kitten) after some of the stanzas. That the text is too young for my son is not a criticism, however. Had I discovered this book two years ago, I probably would have bought it -- even though I
Pamela
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Pamela by: Anyone
Shelves: toddler-reads
"Sleepy ABC" by Margaret Wise Brown was an okay read. I had gotten the book from the library previously for my daughter to help with her ABCs, and it certainly does that...the pictures illustrated by Karen Katz are a great complement to the book. My daughter really enjoyed looking at the pictures and all the different colors.
However, I checked this book out a 2nd time because it was recommended to me as a book I could read to my daughter when trying to get her to go to sleep. Well...after we fin
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, picture-book
I am on the hunt for a good ABC book, and I have two criteria. First, I want the book to tell a story, not just be a random assortment of words. Second, I want the illustrations to show each letter prominently and clearly. (Even young babies can start to discern geometric shapes like letters. See the book "Baby Minds" for more information.)[return][return]Of the 10 or so ABC books I flipped through at the library, this one had the biggest and clearest letters, although the background behind each ...more
Gabriellaconceicao
Awards: None

Appropriate grade level: Preschool and above

Summary: This is a book describing 26 ways to say goodnight incorporating the alphabet. It shows the different ways that different animals, things, and people say goodnight and show that they are tired. With incredible illustrations is helps children visualize the whole world going to bed when they do.

Review: This is a great way to teach children the concept of diversity. It shows them that everyone and everything says goodnight in a differ
jacky
Oct 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Huh, is this really written by Margaret Wise Brown, but illustrated by Karen Katz? Interesting. I assumed it was a Katz book from her signature illustrations.

This was read at the end of play group today. Natalie was interested for a bit, but then went off to play with her new friend (who has the same birthday as her!). I think it would make a better bed time book for a child a bit older, since it is long for a one year old to sit through.
Sarah Thompson
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: abc-book
This book is adorable! The artwork (Karen Katz) is simple but the colors are bright. This book provides "26 ways to say goodnight" as it goes through each letter of the alphabet. "K is for kissing your mother goodnight..L is for listening when they turn out the light". I think children would love this book because of the colors and rhyme. Parents will also enjoy this book because it is a quick and easy read that provides a fun and clever way to introduce the alphabet.
Jan 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
We just got this title in. It is part of my enrichment, and my attempt to increase the number of ABC books that I know of to provide to parents. I like that it has a story to go with the concept. Also this edition is durable, which is good because I'm sure it will check out every 2-3 weeks for the next 7-20 yrs.
christine
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Perfect bedtime alpha review for the Little ones. Full of things toddlers love like animals and being tucked in by mom. Bright pictures keep them interested but not over stimulated for sleep.
What a great way to master the alphabet maybe even get them to dream up some letters and make up there own rhymes. Just Perfect!
Michael Fitzgerald
Kind of disappointing, considering Brown and Slobodkina's well-deserved reputations. It starts nice: Aaah, Baaa, Caw - but by the time you get to X, you get "X is for all the things you can play" - huh? Seems like someone got awful lazy. But still, deliver us from the revised Karen Katz illustrations. She can only do one picture and she does it on every page.
Mary
Apr 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
I read this book as a children's librarian looking for good board books for a storytime thus the one star review. It is a very loose alphabet book and much too long to read to a group at storytime. Perhaps it is best read one on one with a baby/toddler but again, it's not a great alphabet book. It would have been a better bedtime book.
Miss Sarah
Jun 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boardbook, abc
each letter of the alphabet represents an animal sound or something associated with going to bed like animals snoring or visions of dreaming. Etc. Cute and each page is one letter but several lines.
Lisa
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
I wasn't a fan of the illustrations. I don't like the part of the book that says:

"X is for all the things you can play."

This is the same author that wrote "Goodnight Moon" and "Runaway Bunny!?"

I think I'll look for some different ABC books.

Rima Aroutiounian
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1
"Sleeping ABC" is an alphabet book that will help with letter knowledge in children. It is a colorful and large print for visuals. A is for Aaaaah when a small kitten sights. Great for print awareness and motivation too.
Ruth Ann
This book received mixed reviews so I wanted to see it for myself. Yes, I understand some of the verses are far-fetched and sound ridiculous. I could still use it in a storytime, however. There are ways to get around the text in a storytime setting.
Connie Klever
Jan 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Adorable edition with illustrations by Karen Katz. Bright and big pictures perfect for early literacy experiences, pre-k storytime.
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not impressed with the read. I'm not surprised as I feel that everything written by Wise Brown is automatically granted greatness without meriting it. Enjoyed Katz' illustrations though.
Deatrice
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love the illustrations in this book! They are so antiquated and charming, you feel like you are holding onto a piece if Americana history.
Joshua
1* art
2* rhyme
narajaponesa
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Kind of cool how they took Margaret Wise Brown's text from 1953 and updated the artwork in 2010. Some may think this is sacrilege but I think it works. A lovely Pajama Storytime type of book.
Marcie
Jul 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Lovely new illustrations for this classic bedtime book.
Michelle Gray
I used this for my multicultrally themed storytime. :)
Mary Librarian
Feb 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Cute babies get ready for bed as they work their way through the alphabet.
Heather Jo
Jun 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Prplpckl
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-with-anabel
Cut alphabet book and bedtime story.
Daniel Peterson
Jul 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Mommy Hugs
  • Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy: A Picture Book
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • B Is for Bulldozer: A Construction ABC
  • Sweet Dreams Lullaby
  • On Noah's Ark
  • My Heart Is Like a Zoo
  • Plumply, Dumply Pumpkin (Classic Board Books)
  • A Book of Sleep
  • Time for a Hug
  • Me With You
  • Apple Pie ABC
  • Apple
  • Road Work Ahead
  • Baby Bear's Books
  • One Drowsy Dragon
  • Time to Sleep, Sheep the Sheep!
  • Bedtime for Bear
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown...