Start by marking “The Messenger” as Want to Read:
The Messenger

The Messenger

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  754 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
Who is Tyler Hawthorne?Beneath the Caribbean Sea, a salvage diver hears an eerie voice calling to him from the wreckage of a nineteenth-century ship. In return for promised riches, the diver becomes the servant of Adrian deVille, Lord Varre, the creature who has called to him. It's a bargain the diver will come to regret. Varre enlists him in a hunt for a man named Tyler H ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 493 pages
Published March 1st 2009 by Thorndike Press (first published December 20th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Messenger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Messenger

Jan 23, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible book, sort of an occult Harlequin's romance, in which our homely heiress falls (chastely) for an immortal Tyler Hawthorne, who is blessed/cursed with the ability to hear the wishes of the dying. (people in comas, for instance, people who can talk are on their own). He has a dog, who is also somewhat spooky and there's an evil mastermind who, like Voldemort, has died and has to reconstitute himself. why do I read this tripe?

Oh, yeah, it's moderately entertaining. And I pulled it almost a
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Steph for TeensReadToo.com

Tyler Hawthorne is a mystery. He is never sick and seems to heal from any injury at an alarming rate. He's suave, confident, and extremely wealthy.

But Amanda Clarke doesn't like him. In her opinion, bringing hope to her dying best friend, Ron, is just plain stupid. Ron has been sick for ages and will most likely die - how dare Tyler bring him hope of recovering?

Only Ron does recover. And as Amanda begins to learn more and more about this Mr. Hawthorne charac
LJ
THE MESSENGER (Para/Super-Amada/Tyler-California-Cont) - DNF
Burke, Jan – Standalone
Simon & Schuster, 2009, US Hardcover – ISBN: 0743273877

First Sentence: Come to me.

Amada Clark lives in the house left to her by her parents. She is not alone as the ghosts of her parents, aunt and uncle are there with her. She has a new neighbor, Tyler Hawthorne, and his black dog, Shade.

Tyler, ever aged 24, has been alive since the 1800s and was injured at Waterloo. It is Tyler’s responsibility to comfort t
Kay
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of Jan Burke's entertaining light mysteries. I opened this book and found it wasn't what I expected. But since my family says I am OCD I decided to read it. [After all I'd read all her others:] Not my kind of book at all [ghosts, immortals, magical spells etc:], but I did enjoy it [not as well as her 'Irene' books. This book is set up for a series with these same characters which disappoints me since I'm ready for Irene.
Lolly K Dandeneau
This book was a bit cheesy. Mostly I felt like I was reading a book that wanted to be and borrowed VAMPIRE themes. It was a bit weak. Not an entirely horrible read, it just didn't have any meat to it. Nothing a reader could really sink their teeth into. In some ways I felt like I was just reading a romance. I think with the 'messenger' aspect, the author could have gone much deeper and darker. Somehow the last words of the dying seemed silly. Or maybe it was just me?
Cindy
Jan 17, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a longtime fan of Jan Burke's Irene Kelly series. This standalone horror/occult/whatEVER novel is a mess, though. I had to go back and reread several passages in an effort to understand the logic of the plot. Even then, it just didn't make sense. She could have had a more interesting story leaving out the villain and the supernatural crud, and focusing on the main characters. I was extremely disappointed.
Stephanie
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the type of book that you can read in one sitting and it leaves you wanting more. Much more. It is on the odd side but the people are who you love. And if you happen to be a dog person there is something in for you also. WARNING!!!! If you don't like insects this might not be the book for you at all.
Marlyn
Apr 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Jan Burke's latest book is a standalone that could best be described as a paranormal mystery. Tyler Hawthorne was born in 1791, and died in the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. While he lay dying on the battlefield, he spoke to a mysterious person who gave him a ring, and a dog, and the task of Messenger.
The Messenger carries the wishes of the dying who can no longer communicate verbally to their living loved ones.
When we meet Tyler, he is living in present-day Los Angeles. He lives a solitary life,
Elizabeth
guess who's back, liz's back, tell a friend!

ok. i have taken a bit of a break but after reading most of this book i couldn't be silent for long. erg. have you read the dialogue in this book? here is a sample taken from the part were amanda's cousin betrays them to an evil undead guy bent on destroying love and happiness and kittens....

friend of amanda not really important to the story except to add possible love non-triange: "Do you know that they tried to kill Tyler that night, and almost kill
Marjorie Campbell
I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a quick read who likes supernatural romance stories and who isn't looking for anything too challenging for the brain.

In the Publisher's Weekly review on Burke's website they make a comparison between this work and those of Charlaine Harris which I object to. This book while entertaining, lacks some of the believability of Harris' supernatural series and does not manage to make the characters' as fully fleshed or engaging. The same review draws a
Ryan Mishap
I love Burke's mysteries, so while I don't usually go for the supernatural thriller, I decided to check this out. The story holds your interest but, ultimately, it is a supernatural thriller that lacks the darkness and mad fantastical elements of urban faerie tales/urban fantasy.
Tyler Hawthorne has been alive for two hundred years--his task, in payment for this gift he now views as a curse, is to communicate with the dying so he can relay their last messages to loved ones. Several of the dyin
Scilla
Mar 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very differnt Jan Burke book. It is about a supernatural man who carries messages for dying people. He himself is immortal (became the messenger during the Napleonic wars), never ages, and repairs himself after injuries. He is protected by a "cemetary" dog, a large black scary looking dog. When he bites someone, they go up in flames and totally disappear. I don't usually like science fiction, but I did enjoy this book.
Rose
Jan 09, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: absolute-crap

This was utter rubbish! I can't believe she wrote a book like this. It was really, really bad on so many levels that I can't begin to list them. I did finish it cuz it was an easy read and silly and light and for the moment I was in the mood for light reading, just not this bad.
Be warned, don't bother!
Triinu
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-loetud
Mõnus põnevik väikeste paranormaalsete sugemetega. Amanda on kindel, et tema uus naaber Tyler on petis, sest ta ütles tema vähki surevale sõbrale Ronile, et ta saab terveks. Aga Ron hakkabki paranema ja Amanda hakkab huvi tundma, kes tema naaber on. Amanda saab teada, et Tyler on sõnumitooja, kes edastab surijate viimaseid soove. Sündmused lähevad põnevaks, kui püütakse tappa Tylerit.
Liviu

Excellent reviews and interesting excerpt led to high expectations for this one and I was very disappointed. The style is flat, even some newspapers columns have more emotion, the characters univolving and there is no suspense, no sense of the fantastic, just a thriller with extra stuff.
Carole
Feb 10, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
This was not her usual detective story. It was very sci-fi-ish and not up my alley.
Nicole
Oct 19, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was almost a third of the way through this book before I realized how AWFUL it is.

Utter dreck.
MiNA
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
I grabbed the book because it was in the bargain price area at the book store

I must say these type of books are completely not my thing and I hate a good book being trifled by any unnecessary romance. I did however, take it because it was paranormal. I was surprised to see that the rating wasn't so good though and after reading the book myself, certain things weren't pointed out as to WHY it should be bad. I think it was actually a good book although this isn't my strong point. Generally, I shou
Mel
According to the book jacket, this novel is about a man who hears the last thoughts of dying people and conveys those messages to their loved ones.Tyler Hawthorne inherited this gift centuries ago as he himself lay dying on the battlefield of Waterloo. The bestower, a mysterious man named Adrian, saves Tyler's life and grants him immortality, but in exchange Tyler must forever comfort the dying and act as The Messenger conveying last wishes to surviving relatives. And oh yeah, there's an overpro ...more
Lou Williamson
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good unique story.
Paula Kramer
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tyler Hawthorne is a messenger who can hear the last words of the dying. He meets Amanda when he visits a friend of hers in a nursing home. He tells Ron, the person who is ill, that he will recover. This makes Amanda angry. She begins a relationship with Tyler, who is only 24, but has been this age for 200 years. He is also being pursued by an old enemy. This has a good ending and was my kind of book.
Monika
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kakssada aastat tagasi kui Tyler Hawthorne Waterloos sõjaväljal suremas oli, pakkus salapärane mees talle surematust. Vastutasuks sai Tylerist Sõnumitooja - inimene, kes kuuleb surijate viimaseid mõtteid ning neid lähedastele edastab.
Tänapäeva maailmas on Tyler Hawthorne rikka Amanda Clarke'i naabrimeheks. Naine tunneb rikka, ilusa ja vallalise mehe suhtes suurt huvi, kuid kuuldes, et Tyler on ta surmahaigele sõbrale Ronile elulootust andnud, muutub Amanda uudishimu kiiresti vihaks. Sellist luba
Hannah Guha
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Messenger was the last Jan Burke novel that I had still left unread after a long time appreciation for the author's other works. I think I had held off on reading this one because it was most assuredly unlike anything else Burke had written, aside from the recurring theme of her obvious love of dogs.

The Irene Kelly novels by Burke were the first novels I CHOSE to read in my young adult life. In high school I would wrap an Irene Kelly paperback inside the Grapes of Wrath, and truly began a lo
Gail Baugniet
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over the years, I’ve read many of Jan Burke’s Irene Kelly mysteries and always found them suspenseful and entertaining. The Messenger is billed as a supernatural thriller. I decided to step out of my comfort zone to read this novel. (I’ve found that setting a goal of reading 71 books in 12 months gives me the incentive to read a wide variety of genres. )

As always, Burke held my interest with the promise of a good mystery to solve. But she ratcheted up the tension with a new dimension of possibi
Teresa in Ohio
Apr 06, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-read
I will give this book a 1 because I finished it and an established author tried something new. Beyond that, this book confused me and gave me a headache. The plot centers around a man who can't age or die. His job is to comfort people on their deathbed and relay any messages to loves ones before they depart. I like that part of the story, but it is only a minor point. The bigger story is the man who wants to capture the man who can't age. This story quickly fell apart and I skipped about 4 chapt ...more
Ryan Sanders
This was awesome. It took me a little while to get into it, but after about the 50 page mark it amps up and doesn't slow down. She had some interesting takes on the whole supernatural world premise I think, nothing ground-breaking, but it was refreshing to not read another "I Wanna Be The Sixth Sense!" retread.

The first Jan Burke novel I read was Nine back when I was still in high school. I fell in love with her work but my bookstore never carried anything of hers other than the novels that wer
Adrienne
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
I've been a Jan Burke fan for years . . .and when I get attached to an author and a character it's hard for me to read something new from that author when they diverge from that character.
But. . .when I saw this novel I thought, what the heck? And I'm glad I did! I'm a Sy/Fy - Supernatural fan in many ways but I found this story to be something fresh . . .it wasn't zombies, vampires, werewolves, ghosts, or anything else that we're all used to.
It was a bit of a love story wrapped up inside a cent
Kristen
AWESOME Book!!!! I loved this!

The book has so many facets - it's got a gothic atmospheric tone even though it's written in the present. Theres a ghost story, a suspense and action thiller component, traumatized heros, nasty villains, loyal canines and just a touch of romance.

You are intrigued and curious about Tyler Hawthorne from the first minute you meet him. And you can't help but like plucky, clumsy Amanda Clark. Everything that happens to them as the plot plays out is delicious, clever, fra
Jeanine
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based on the handful of reviews at the top of this book's page, this is one of those times I feel like I read a different book from everyone else. I really enjoyed this book and would rate it almost a 4 vs. all the 1's I saw. I haven't read any other books by Jan Burke so I can't compare it to the way the author "usually" writes like others did, but I thought this was a nice, easy read with a good storyline. I don't mind paranormal/occult in my reading so that wasn't a problem, either. The chara ...more
Hannah
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was about a man named Tyler, who has been alive forever, but whose looks are frozen at the age of 24, who has the gift of speaking with the dying or the recently departed, but who somehow cannot see ghosts. Tyler's job is to take any last messages from the dying and communicate them to the people they left behind. He is accompanied by a cemetery dog, Shade, who chose him as his new master when he was dying forever ago. I had never heard of a cemetery dog until this story and I thought ...more
  • Spirited Legacy (Lost Library, #2)
  • Outer Darkness
  • Ghost Radio
  • Vicious
  • Last Known Address
  • Dark Magic (Peter Warlock, #1)
  • Chat Room (Teri Blake-Addison Mystery #2)
  • The Daughters Grimm
  • Long Time Gone (Konigsburg, #4)
  • Lucifer and Lacious
  • Control
  • No Lovelier Death (DI Joe Faraday, #9)
  • The Exile (The Fae, #1)
  • Bloody Awful (Brytewood, #2)
  • Winning Ruby Heart
  • Something Borrowed (Brenda & Effie Mystery #2)
  • The Fifth House of the Heart