Start by marking “Hachiko: The True Story of a Loyal Dog” as Want to Read:
Hachiko: The True Story of a Loyal Dog

Hachiko: The True Story of a Loyal Dog

Imagine walking to the same place every day, to meet your best friend. Imagine watching hundreds of people pass by every morning and every afternoon. Imagine waiting, and waiting, and waiting. For ten years. This is what Hachiko did.
Hachiko was a real dog who lived in Tokyo, a dog who faithfully waited for his owner at the Shibuya train station long after his owner could
Published May 25th 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers

Start your review of Hachiko: The True Story of a Loyal Dog
Jon Nakapalau
Based on the true story of Hachikō, the dog who waited for his owner after his death at Shibuya Station for 9 years.
Jessica Marquez
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great way to introduce the story of the loyal dog Hachiko
Roger DeBlanck
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ypl-ya
Hachiko is full of sadness and wonder about a dog waiting for his master. Turner does a fine job telling the story, and Nascimbene’s illustrations bring the dog to life. Nascimbene makes use of smaller pictures when he focuses on the dog exclusively, and when other aspects of the story are discussed, he uses larger spreads. The colors make use of both warmth and coolness, and everything has a touch of somber loveliness.
Jo
Apr 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: animal lovers, dog lovers, everyone!
This is an amazing story that I recently learned about. I watched the movie the other night and fell completely in love with it and with Hachiko, the remarkable Akita dog. I knew this was a story I wanted to remember forever so I immediately ordered this children's version as a keepsake and it doesn't disappoint. <3 I definitely encourage everyone to read up on this wonderful true story of a dog's love and loyalty.

The story takes place in Japan and tells the tale of an Akita puppy named Hachiko.
Stephanie
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Text-to-World Connection:

"Hachiko: The True Story of a Loyal Dog" is a wonderful story of friendship. The picture book shows the importance of friendship which I think is something the world seems to share and embrace. In the story, the main character begins a friendship with a furry friend. This type of friendship is one that most people can relate to that extends beyond upbringings. People tend to have good relationships with animals! This story does a great job at portraying this strong relat
Jordan Lee
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hachiko is the story of an amazing dog that holds true to his owner even after his owner dies. A young boy named Kentaro is also featured in this book. He takes care of Hachiko at the train station after his owner, Dr. Ueno, dies. The strongest part of Hachiko is the dedication the dog shows to his owner and in turn the townspeople show to the dog. Every day for seven years the dog would show up to wait for Dr. Ueno, but the doctor never showed. The dog was so famous and inspirational that the p ...more
Isabella Green
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-books
Hachiko by Pamela S. Turner is based on a true story about a dog in Japan that was adopted by a professor off the streets. Hachiko adored his master so much that he would follow him to the train station and watch him get on to leave to work and waits for his master to come back everyday. One day Hachiko’s master never came back from his business trip leaving Hachiko alone. Hachiko’s loyalty and persistence shows throughout the book when he continues to visit the train station waiting for his mas ...more
Ruhama
Dec 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The subtitle to the book is The True Story of a Loyal Dog, and is about a puppy who would wait for his owner every morning and evening at the train station in Tokyo. One evening, the master did not return from university, as he had died, but the dog continued to wait. The story is told from a little boy’s perspective, and he marvels at how people start to take care of the dog as the years pass and his owner never arrives home. Eventually, the dog dies and a statue is erected in his honor. The bo ...more
Allison Homeyer
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A heartwarming story of a dog and the love he has for his owner. Based off of a true story, we watch as a dog faithfully waits for his owner every day until one day his owner did not come to meet him. Hachiko became famous for his loyalty and his love for not only his owner, but everyone he came in contact with.
I actually cried during this book! I loved it that much. How beautiful to show how much we mean to our pets. It is true that they are only part of our life, but to them we are their whol
Lauren Barone
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Story books of animals, in my opinion, are the most interesting. This story of Hachiko, the dog who lived in Japan, was an amazing story. Hachiko was a loyal dog who caught the attention of many people living in Japan. He waited every day for his friend to come and see him at the station. Many grew to love and adore this dog. It teaches children the loyalty of animals and about the concept of loyalty.

This book most likely won this award for it's beautifully illustrated pictures. This picture bo
Sherry
Tokyo's Shibuya train station is the setting for the true, heart-warming story of loyalty and love from the dog named "Hachiko", a man's best friend. Hachiko accompanied his master to and from the train station each day. The loyal dog continued this routine for many years after his master's death. Before Hachiko died, citizens placed a commemorative statue of him at the station. Today, after more than 75 years, the statue remains a happy place for family and friends to reunite. Recommended for r ...more
Ana
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I first learned of Hachiko while watching a preview for a movie of the same name. I was not aware that a picture book existed that told the story of this amazing dog. What a gentle, beautiful creature to patiently and loyally wait for a master long gone. Of course, the story brought tears to my eyes, and of course, much like young Kentaro, I also wondered if Hachiko knew that his master had died. This particular picture book is filled with beauty in its simplicity, allowing the words to tell the ...more
Michele Farmer
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is based on a true story about a loyal dog who faithfully journeyed to a train station in Tokyo to await his friend's daily return, long after the man had died. The illustrations are simple and pretty, and the story is moving and inspirational. It is an excellent vehicle for exploring loyalty, friendship, and devotion; and who doesn't love an amazing dog story? As an added bonus, the author adds an interesting, short summary of the real story of Japan's Hachiko at the book's end. I lov ...more
Paul
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
I knew nothing about the actual Hachiko before reading the book, so didn't know whether the true story was going. Nascimbene's fine illustrations bring a quality to the story that roots it to Japan, and the narrative is a good fit for the visual component of the book. It helps to work with a lovely story to begin with, but the author and illustrator have combined their skills to make this a lovely book as well.
Tanja
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I had seen the movie about Hachiko a couple of months ago and was surprised to find this picture book version of the story in my new library. It made me cry, just like the movie. I knew right away that this is one of those picture book treasures I need to have on my shelf. I am also determined to visit Japan (hopefully in the not too far future) and to see the train station in front of which Hachiko waited so loyally for his master. A moving story, well retold and beautifully illustrated.
Brenda Lambert
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
The loyalty and love a dog can have is a powerful thing and creates happiness in many people and that is just what I felt while reading this book. As someone who grew up with pet dogs, I have felt just how happy having a dog can make someone feel and in this book Hachiko made everyone happy, simply because he was a loyal, friendly and excited dog. This excitement of having a dog has always made reading books about dogs enjoyable because 9 times of 10 the story is a cheerful story.
Shannon
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs, japan, pets
Having lived in Japan, I have not only heard the story of Hachiko but waited for friends by his statue at the Shibuya Train Station and even used to have the cutest doggone Hachiko hankie. Hachiko's story is true and lovely. In this book, it is retold and illustrated well for the youngest new little fans of Hachiko.

Does anyone know if Ueno Train Station is named after Dr. Ueno? Please tell me if you know the answer.
LeAndra Simone
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This story gets me in the feels everytime I read it. I'm a dog lover and have fur babies at home and this story hits home for me so often. The story surround a dog named Hachi, and after his master passes away suddenly he begins to wait. He waits for days, months, years, until his owner finally returns to take him home one last time. A great story about loyalty and the bond humans can have with their pets.
Loren
Jul 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Hachiko, a dog who kept vigil for nearly 10 years at a Tokyo train station, waiting for his deceased master to return from work. Turner unfolds this poignant true story in the natural, unaffected voice of Kentaro, a fictional little boy, who wonders at the dog's unswerving devotion. This book is better than the recent movie!
Courtney
Really nice illustrations, and Hachiko's story was really sweet. It reminded me of one I'd heard that happened in Scotland (I think), too... I can't remember that dogs' name, though. Something Jack - Sweetfriar Jack?

Anyway, it's a really cute book, nice illustrations. Definitely worth checking out!
Kayla
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ncss-awrds
i enjoyed this book, i liked that it was based on a true story about Hachiko. it was very sad when the dog Mr. Ueno passed away and Hachiko was just sitting there waiting for him to return. it was also sad when Hachiko died. i liked that these social studies books are very different from each other.
Alexandria Shafer
I liked this story. It was a sad and touching story of a dog who was forever loyal to his master and not only a boy buy an entire community who grew to love the dog and homered him with a statue. I feel it's a very well written story and not only teaches about loyalty but also about another culture.
Kathleen Dixon
I saw the story of this dog, Hachiko, when I was following another dog story (Gobi - and I'd link it but the computer I'm on isn't letting me). There have been quite a few books written about Hachiko - this one is fiction and quite sweet.

If I do a study on Japan with the kids (we homeschool them) I shall be sure to borrow this from the library as part of it.
Rachel
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nice picture book fiction story of the real Hachiko dog. I've always loved this story...of the dog who loved his master so much, he wouldn't leave the spot where they'd meet up each day after work at the train station. This is a true story to introduce to kids, with unique, artistic pictures.
Ms Threlkeld
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
May be a bit too text heavy to holder younger readers' interest, but very sweet story about loyalty and friendship that will have most people tearing up at the end.
Shannon
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shannon-s-books
This book was heartwarming because it showed a bond between a man and a dog. Even the story did a great job showing loyalty to its owner.
SheAintGotNoShoes
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story of a Japanese dog who faithfully waits at the train station for his owner to come home from work every nite and what happens one nite when he doesn't.

Moving and very touching !
Nonno Kato
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: semester-2-shelf
This is a perfect book to those who are looking for a heart touching story that will leave you to tears.

Hachiko is a Japanese Akita Dog of a Japanese family that is remarkably royal to his owner whom continued to wait at the train station after the owner's death.

Hachiko's identity has become well known to the people in Tokyo at the time that has still continued to inspire people today with the Hachiko statue in front of the Shibuya Station today.

By reading this book, especially to those reader
Eva
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Unlike Hachiko Waits, this story about Japan's most faithful dog is much more age appropriate for my almost 6 year old. The story is shorter which enables a child in that age range to keep their attention where it should be and the numerous illustrations serve to keep the young reader entertained along with the story.
A quick note about the illustrations - I didn't really like the way the people were portrayed but the everything else in relation to the pictures I thought was matching. I can't put
Julia Jasztal
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mommy's review from 6/30/11 -

« previous 1 3 4 next »
Test Book Review 1 1 Aug 30, 2018 08:56AM

• Hachiko Waits
  • 999 Lá Thư Gửi Cho Chính Mình (999 Lá Thư Gửi Cho Chính Mình, #2)
  • ¿Para qué sirve un koala?
  • Hannah's War
  • DAWGS: A True Story of Lost Animals and the Kids Who Rescued Them
  • There's A Murder Afoot (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery, #5)
  • Black Cowboy, Wild Horses
  • The Patient Man (DI Jackman & DS Evans, #6)
  • Three Hours In Paris
  • The Chimney Sweep's Ransom
  • The Pilgrims' First Thanksgiving
  • The Grouchy Ladybug
  • The Whipping Boy
  • 488 Rules for Life
  • Freckle Juice
  • Bink & Gollie
  • My Dog Too (Lilac Creek Dog Story Series Book 2)
  • There’s a Monster in Your Book
I was very interested in books as a child. I still remember how hard I worked as a four-year-old at learning to write my name because my mother promised I could have a library card as soon as I could scrawl "PAMELA." When my parents made me turn my bedroom lights out at night, I would read by the tiny red light on the temperature control for my electric blanket. I grew up in Riverside--a rather ho ...more

News & Interviews