Start by marking “Hollywood Girls Club (Hollywood Girls Club, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hollywood Girls Club (Hollywood Girls Club, #1)

Hollywood Girls Club

(Hollywood Girls Club #1)

The climb to the top of the Hollywood ladder is treacherous, especially in stilettos. And as any A-lister knows, even harder than getting to the top is staying there. Hollywood Girls Club follows the well-heeled footsteps of three power players who are determined not to lose their footing: Jessica, the agency president with hot, demanding clients and an ice-cold fiance; Ce ...more
Published April 10th 2007 by Crown

To ask other readers questions about Hollywood Girls Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hollywood Girls Club

Start your review of Hollywood Girls Club (Hollywood Girls Club, #1)
Crumb
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book #1 in the series Hollywood Girls Club by Maggie Marr

Sex and the City meets Hollywood!

If you are a fan of Sex and the City, you will absolutely adore this novel. In fact, you will devour it.. just as I did.

This was pure unadulterated fun! This book was lighthearted and provided me with so much joy and amusement. This book was by no means deep; let's call a spade a spade.. but it was just what I needed.

Some of my expressions while reading this book were..

This book takes place in Hollywood, as
Deborah
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
The more I read of Hollywood Girls Club, the more I was sure the author knew what she was talking about. There was a definite sense of insider knowledge about the film industry as the book progressed, beyond the surface knowledge most of us would know. So I wasn't surprised, at the end of the book, to find that Maggie Marr is a lawyer turned agent, living with her actor husband in Los Angeles. Shades of one of her main characters, Jess.

My first impression as I started reading Hollywood Girls Clu
Emily
Mar 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, reviewed
This was a very nice quick read. It wasn't deep, but I didn't feel like I wasn't getting anything out of it reading it. In finishing it I actually think feel like my friends have gone away. I can't wait to read the next one so I know more about what they all do.

There are 4 maybe 5 main characters in this "Hollywood Girls Club", one not technically in it, but set up like she could be. Celeste, the star aka actress, Jessica the agent, Lydia the producer, MaryAnn the writer from the midwest that t
S.E. Nelson
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because I wanted an escape from my own writing, which normally deals with intense subject matter. The author delivered exactly the kind of escape I needed. The book was so much fun to read, and i didn't want it to end. It reminded me of Jackie Collins books, yet refreshingly different. It is clear that the author is well versed with the entertainment industry she writes about. The plot, the setting and the characters were very well developed and realistic. I especially love ...more
Leslie
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hollywood, trashy
Other reviewers compare this to Jackie Collins, but that isn't really accurate. This is the story of four powerful or up and coming powerful women who succeed in Hollywood while learning what is really important to each of them. One is an super agent, one is a successful producer, one is a superstar actress and the last is a long struggling but recently discovered writer. They have paid their dues and clawed their way to the pinnacles of their careers with very little help, if not outright sabot ...more
Adriane
So many questions left unanswered: why was Ted kept unnamed until the most integral part of the story? Because he was the most powerful man in Hollywood? And what was with the sudden change in Mitsy? She started off very mid-western, 50s-era housewife then after Mary Anne told her off, she pulled a Sandy from "Grease". They never explained how she became so different. All in all, I enjoyed how catty the characters could be. It was like a modern-day "Valley of the Dolls" and after saying that, I ...more
Kandice
Feb 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
A fast paced read about a celebrity, producer, agent, and writer who share a unique friendship in a cutthroat industry.

Fun fact: Each chapter is named after one of the main characters and a pair of shoes!
Julaine
Mar 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
Enjoyed this more than I expected. Only thing that bothered me was that the all ended up with men almost as if that is the only thing that would make them happy. Planning on reading the next in the series.
Christina
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was really good...if you like jackie collins you will like this new author
Maggie
Mar 08, 2008 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Of course I LOVE it...I wrote it!
xoMaggie
Nora
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!
Saysha Wilson
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers who want a glimpse into the 'celebrity life'
These are NOT the girls next door!

Where do I start with this review? WOW! Maggie Marr gives readers a front row seat and glimpse into the Hollywood lives of Jessica, Celeste, MaryAnne and Lydia. It was so hard for me to put this book down. I kept saying, "Okay, I'm going to read one more chapter and then go to bed...I'm going to read one more chapter and then cook..one more chpater and then I'll return my best friend's phone call.." You get the point...this book was so GOOD!

Jessica, is the pres
Cami Brite
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
A long time ago, I read a Danielle Steel book called Secrets. I think it was my first time reading about Hollywood, and I clearly remember enjoying an insider's glimpse into the world of TV and filmmaking.

Yesterday, I finished this little gem and it gave me that same fun, voyeuristic feeling. I loved reading about four strong women navigating male-centric Hollywood. Some situations may seem outrageous to those who have not worked in the business, but they felt pretty true to me. Except for all
Beverly Diehl
The uber-agent, the uber-producer, the superstar actress, and the newbie screenwriter - four stories that interweave together deliciously, all tied in to the success - or failure - or the upcoming motion picture Seven Minutes Past Midnight. Along with restaurants, spas, romantic affairs, and SHOES.

If you like chick lit, name/place-dropping, and women who can learn to play the Hollywood game without losing their femininity in a town that is built around "good ol' boys' club" rules, you'll love th
tyrianpurple
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
6-hollywood-very-insider stars!

1. unputdownable. very hooked me till the end!

2. absolutely write about the dirty side of hollywood that other author tend to not writing about.

3. the many POV. building anticipation for the continuation till i cant help my self to keep flicking at my phone screen, want to finally read the rest.

4. oh. the emptyness, then the hollow, the breakdown, while found a true happyness along side all. this book rocks ur heart and mind and emotion.

5. no unnecessary, toe curl
Jen Ifer's Inklings
Mar 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
I really enjoyed this book. It kept me wanting to find out more, even though some of the things were predictable and easy to figure out, it didn't bore me.

I did not, however, enjoy the amount of foul language and extreme sexual references in the book. I understand that part of the story is probably going on in Hollywood (and probably elsewhere too) but it just seemed excessive to me and really started to turn me off about halfway through the book.

It did NOT keep me from wanting to finish the boo
Michelle Molinari
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love the premise of this book. Three Hollywood elites, three best friends, three WOMEN. This was a great book, an easy read and I loved the POV changes. I really liked reading more about each woman and not just centered on one of them as the main character. Reading this was like pulling the curtain back and learning insider info into the world of Hollywood. I love books like this that give the reader a great story as well as insight into a profession, location or hobby that a regular person mi ...more
Bridget
Mar 12, 2008 rated it liked it
I've read a few books that I consider "Insider Hollywood Chick Lit" and every time, I'm kind of disgusted that things operate that way out there, yet I still enjoy TV and movies, so I shouldnt complain too much....this one is a little more blunt about how people - especially women - climb up the Hollywood ladder, but still a quick, fun read about a group of friends in the movie business (a star, an agent, a producer, and a writer).
Lisa
Jun 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Managed to get a book finished finally (time commitments made it slow going, not the book itself)

Light, fluffy, fun.
Backstabbing and agendas in Hollywood. Enjoyable story - written from the point of view of 4 different Hollywood women (the tried and true Sex and the City formula) . Unfortuntely there wasn't a lot to tell them apart and there were times I would have to re-read a chapter not realising the character had changed.

Would make a great holiday/beach/travel companion book.
Melanie
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, reviews
I was hooked from the name of the first chapter: "Celeste Solange and Her Fifteen-Thousand-Dollar Shoes." Each chapter is similarly named ("Lydia Albright and Her Alexandra Neel Pumps," "Jessica Caulfield and Her Balenciaga Sandals"), making me truly look forward to each new chapter so I could see who it would be about and what shoes they would be wearing. What a fun book this was. Can't wait to start Secrets of the Hollywood Girls Club next!
Arati
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: liked-it
I really liked the book. This gives us idea of how Hollywood actually can be. How people can be to reach success. I love all the girls. they all had different personality and each of them was unique but all of them had one same thing - fighting spirit. I actually didn't read its blurb at first, just picked book at random and I am so glad I did. this book was worth my time. i just think at last the story was kind of rushed.
Michelle
May 29, 2008 rated it it was ok
i'm all for fluff for fluff's sake and Lord knows that name-dropping is half the fun in this hollywood chick lit genre, but i just couldn't get past the relentless "product placement"- i think i would've been able to like the characters more if i wasn't being told at every turn what they were wearing and who designed it... the E! red carpet tactics don't translate all that well onto the pages.
Kori
Aug 13, 2008 rated it liked it
I read this after the sequal which I just happened to pick up at the library on a whim. I have to say I enjoyed these books is a trashy summer induljance kind of way. I probably would have liked this one more if I had read them in order. The characters are fun and interesting, this truly makes you wonder if that is what Hollywood is realy like.
Kim
May 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, need-to-buy
WARNING: this book is not for the faint of heart due to a whole bunch of super foul language and quite explicit sex scenes. I loved it! :) I'm really upset that my B&N doesn't carry this author in-store because I want to read the next one NOW. Guess I'll have to wait for the library to transfer it from another location for me. ...more
Mellamoureaux
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Light mystery Hollywood read written by someone who experienced it from the inside.
A great poolside escape from the intensity of the books I've been reading ;) great job Maggie

Hate to spoil but book 3 if the series is the best!

So hard to rate books on this blanket rating system as you can't compare this to books outside it's genre.
Heather
Feb 04, 2008 rated it liked it
One of the main reasons I picked this book up was because I had heard of the similarities to the Hollywood series by Jackie Collins. I was pleased that the premise was reminiscent of that series as it is one of my favorites. I think it is an excellent novel, and can't wait to read the next one.
Sharon
Jan 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: female-friends
I was skeptical about this book, not being a huge fan of the Hollywood culture. However, Marr's presentation of the steadfast friendship among three old friends and a newer addition is the saving grace of the novel.. No women fighting over men, here (WITH them - yes). I even read the follow-up.
KatieDMD
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
It was a quick, superficial story that quickly unraveled as it went on. It was somewhat difficuy to tell the jobs of the main characters apart, as well as which man belonged to who. It certainly makes you think that maybe the people of Hollywood actually behave this way.
MNLO
May 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Riddled with clichés and stupidity (really, name your chapters after what the characters are wearing on their feet?) this was once - in its genre - not all that bad and sometimes even a bit entertaining.
CLM
Jul 30, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Not deep but entertaining...
Play Book Tag: Hollywood Girls Club by Maggie Marr (Hollywood Girls Club, #1) 1 9 Dec 14, 2017 07:26AM
FREE on Kindle THIS WEEKEND! 1 2 Jul 07, 2012 10:06PM
Fresh Fiction Guest Blogger 1 0 Mar 13, 2008 10:29AM

• The Binding
  • Secrets of the Tulip Sisters
  • Valley of the Dolls
  • The Boy Next Door (Boy, #1)
  • Instructions for a Broken Heart
  • Hollywood Wives (Hollywood Series, #1)
  • Love in Bloom
  • What's Cooking? (Rose Cottage Sisters, #2)
  • Welcome to Moonlight Harbor (Moonlight Harbor, #1)
  • For the Love of Pete (Rose Cottage Sisters, #4)
  • Three Down the Aisle (Rose Cottage Sisters, #1)
  • The Laws of Attraction (Rose Cottage Sisters, #3)
  • Runaway Mistress
  • Khi Tách Cà Phê Còn Chưa Nguội
  • Ett öga rött
  • The Siren
  • Sunrise on Half Moon Bay
  • The Summer Retreat (Moonlight Harbor, #3)
USA Today Best Selling author of romance and women's fiction. If I'm not reading or writing I'm binge watching Netflix.

Join my update list to get *FREE* books and hear about new releases, specials on books, contests, and prizes!

www.maggiemarr.net

You can email me at:

maggiemarrbooks@gmail.com

xoMaggie

Hollywood Girls Club (3 books)
  • Secrets of the Hollywood Girls Club (Hollywood Girls Club, #2)
  • Hollywood Hit (Hollywood Girls Club, #3)

News & Interviews