Start by marking “The Dispossessed” as Want to Read:
The Dispossessed

The Dispossessed (Rickman and Foster #1)

Bled to death and left in a rubbish bin, the teenaged prostitute is just the first victim.

DI Jeff Rickman's investigation into the Afghan refugee's sordid death leads first to the heart of a community who can't - or won't - talk to him. Then the investigation comes home to Rickman's own private life. As the body count starts rising he is framed for a crime he didn't commi
Paperback
Published by New English Library Ltd (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Dispossessed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dispossessed

Julie Durovchic
Jun 20, 2017 Julie Durovchic rated it really liked it
Thrilling suspense with plenty of twists.
Ilze
May 31, 2009 Ilze rated it really liked it
Margaret Murphy's crime stories are detailed and chilling. If you don't have tears in your eyes because you've grown to like a character and then lose him/her to death, you're on the edge of your seat, anxious to find out what's going to happen next.

The Dispossessed paints a dark picture of asylum seekers in Britain. At first it looks as if the narrative is going to lead nowhere, but this seems to be Murphy's way of telling it. Bit by bit all the pieces fill in a picture, which she then shuffle
Pat
Aug 19, 2014 Pat rated it liked it
A very sad story. Unfortunately you can believe too easily that there are people who would prey on refugees in the way the story depicts. Money talks and refugees are scum. They have no one to look out for them so easily fall prey to predators. The action takes a horrible turn when danger comes too close to the investigating police officers. Food for thought.
Khim
Oct 12, 2015 Khim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goed boek. Het thema is zeer actueel. Namelijk vluchtelingen. Het boek is al wel wat ouder, maar kun je zien dat boeken soms tijdloos zijn en dat het een actueel thema blijft. De personages zijn levensecht en goed neergezet. Het is niet een spectaculaire actie thriller. Een goede politieroman, waarbij je over de schouders mee kijkt van de recherche en de agenten.
Barbara Elsborg
Sep 07, 2014 Barbara Elsborg rated it really liked it
A good thriller with some surprising twists. Plenty of tension. I read it in one sitting - easy to read prose. I did get a little confused with the foreign names but that's just me. I forget a name from one chapter to the next unless it's one I'm used to hearing. I liked Jeff as a character and I'm wondering if there are more with him in it. The premise seemed horribly plausible to me!
Rosa Macpherson
Oct 05, 2014 Rosa Macpherson rated it liked it
It got a bit tedious after about half way... don't want to talk about spoilers but a spoiler spoiled it for me... it was competently written but got a bit ploddy... a sort of 'need to take you to the conclusion' , but really why bother... the action's prematurely kinda ejaculated way back there and we're just going through the motions now
Plum-crazy
Feb 27, 2015 Plum-crazy added it
Shelves: read-2015
Not a bad crime novel - had put off reading it a few times due to the very small print (even with my specs on!) in my copy!

Entertaining enough with one or two events I didn't expect but the subject matter of the abuse of asylum seekers isn't one for me....much preferred "Now You See Me".
Nicole
Dec 30, 2016 Nicole rated it liked it
Not the most amazing book I have ever read but I enjoyed the twists and turns, even if I did predict most of them!
rabbitprincess
Jun 06, 2010 rabbitprincess marked it as maybe
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: the Rough Guide to Crime Fiction
Chapter 12: Crime and Society
L
L rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2010
Sue Jenkins
Sue Jenkins rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Rog Harrison
Rog Harrison rated it it was ok
Feb 15, 2015
Shanid
Shanid rated it it was ok
Oct 25, 2015
Sally Townsend
Sally Townsend rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2008
Fifi
Fifi rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2012
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2008
Bennett Shulman
Bennett Shulman rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2017
Emilia Vicquery
Emilia Vicquery rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2011
Ben Casbon
Ben Casbon rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2014
Bastian
Bastian rated it really liked it
May 19, 2008
Patrick Nygren
Patrick Nygren rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Martin
Martin rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2011
Sandy
Sandy rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2011
Dennis
Dennis rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Alina Naz
Alina Naz rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Maria King
Maria King rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2014
Ellie
Ellie rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2013
Amelie
Amelie rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2014

Rickman and Foster (2 books)
  • Now You See Me