Start by marking “For Laci: A Mother's Story of Love, Loss, and Justice” as Want to Read:
For Laci: A Mother's Story of Love, Loss, and Justice

For Laci: A Mother's Story of Love, Loss, and Justice

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  3,078 Ratings  ·  222 Reviews
Laci Rocha Peterson, 8 months pregnant, was last seen by her sister, Amy, in the late afternoon of December 23, 2002. She spoke to her mother, Sharon Rocha, at 8:30 p.m. that night. This would be the last time anyone from her immediate family ever spoke to her.

A search began which lasted an agonizing four months. Sadly, Laci Peterson and her son Conner were found dead on t
Published December 5th 2006 by Crown Archetype (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about For Laci, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Laci

John Goossen
I picked up “For Laci” at the library, intending to read it as my true crime book for 2012. However after reading the book I don’t think it should be classified as true crime. Having been so close to the victim, she was not in a position to see what was going on. She wasn’t there when the crime was committed and did not have knowledge about the direction or progress of the investigation. The book narrates the initial grief of a mother who has lost her daughter in a crime. I have mixed feelings a ...more
Neil Mudde
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mind is still in the story, so well told by Laci Peterson's Mother. No doubt most of us will remember this horrific event, how Laci, then 8 months pregnant had disappeared on Christmas Eve,how the town and outlaying areas, became involved in searching for her.
Her husband Scott Peterson had created some b.s. story as to when he last saw her, and the lies kept on building up.
Sharon being Laci's Mother records every detail from December 24th on, how the Rocha family was supportive of Scott, and
Jackie
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
I had to read this book because I followed the case closely from day one. I have read other books based on Scott Petersen and the murders. This is Mrs. Rocha's (Laci's mother's )version of what happened to Laci and all the drama surrounding her then son-in-law.

While reading this book, I could not help but feel connected in some way to Mrs. Rocha. When Mrs. Rocha cried, I cried, when she was angry, I was angry, when she mourned, so did I! She wrote this from her heart and soul. The book is one-s
Giddy Girlie
To be fair, this book is from Laci Peterson's mother's point of view - so obviously it's going to be a sad book filled with sadness about a missing daughter. Beyond that, this book has little value. I don't mean that in a mean way, but there's nothing new to be learned or gleaned from this book. The book flap says that Sharon Rocha wrote this book to help the families of other victims and to be a resource, as well as to continue Laci's legacy -- but there is very little that families can take aw ...more
Jeannie
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone interested in the Scott Peterson story
Wow! I grew up in Modesto and my uncle cleaned the chimney of Laci Peterson, just 2 months before her murder, so there is a special interest in these stories when they feel closer to home.
I think Sharon did a beautiful job of telling about the special person that Laci was. I feel for her family. I did feel at times that Sharon spent too much time being depressed, but what mother wouldn't. I would think that her family/friends would have suggested immediate counseling. I hope that in writing the
Krista
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A deeply moving book. Many different emotions were felt while reading this book; from sadness, to anger, to extreme bewilderment of how someone could have done something so horrific.

From the moment I began to read, I just couldn't put it down. From the moment I heard about Laci going missing and following the story as closely as I could, while I prayed for the best possible outcome, I felt drawn to this story. I felt connected to Laci. I imagine a lot of young women felt this way.

For me, it is
Louise
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A beautiful touching tribute to her murdered daughter Laci, Sharon Rocha lived through every mother's worst nightmare. Written without gore or details of the murder itself, but rather a clear and concise sharing of information and openness for us as readers to see and enjoy Laci as her family had for twenty-seven-years.

Laci Peterson was a vivacious, upbeat, happy girl who had a smile that the whole world will never forget. On Christmas Eve, 2002 Laci's mother, Sharon Rocha, received a phone call
Dayna
Oct 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only people very interested in the Laci Peterson case
In short: This book finally gave me peace about Laci's murder.

Sharon talks about Laci's childhood and her relationships up until her death. Sharon's love for Laci is so strong that you hurt *with her* as she tells about how much she loved Scott...and her mother's intuition about Scott's strange behavior in the hours and days following her dissapearance.

Although Sharon insists that Laci told her everything and that they were as close as could be, there are undisputed things that Laci did not sh
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
This was one of the most touching stories I have ever read. Sharon is very honest in her writing. There are really no words to express how devestatingly sad this book was to read. It was truly gut- wrentching. What the Rocha family endured was very devestating. I have read numerous books on the Laci Peterson case and by far this one was the saddest of all. The story was told like only Laci's mother could tell it.

One of the things that I read in this book that surprised me was how Scotts' parent
Lori
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even if proceeds from this book weren't going to charity (and they are), this book would be worth the read not only because it's very well written but it provides one of the, if not the only, insider account of the Laci Peterson disappearance. Far from being just a missing person, and then a homicide victim, Laci Rocha Peterson comes alive in the pages of her mother's book, from the personal family photos, to Laci's pregnancy journal entries, to Sharon's emotional turmoil at losing her only daug ...more
Melissa
Dec 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to refrain from a good nights sleep for a little while this book is right for you. I couldn't put this book down even though I knew the unfortunate ending. It was like being unable to look away from a terrible accident & the result was me reading until 3 am on a weeknight. Sharon Rocha, Laci's mother, takes us on her heartwrenching journey of the day Laci went missing to Scott's sentencing. What grabs you is she is one of us. Just a regular person that went through hell & you ...more
Kerry
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs, crime
I don't know if its my connection to the Bay Area, the fact that I too am a mother, or just the horror of the circumstances, but I was captivated with Laci's story from the onset. I was the same age as she was when I had my own son. Although I no longer live in the area, I followed the trial to its conclusion and while I don't support the death penalty, I am glad that Scott Peterson is in prison where he belongs. This book, unlike other books on the case, is only peripherally about the crime, wh ...more
Farheen
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very well done- you are taken on the whole journey from start to finish with Sharon Rocha and it is really interesting how everything plays out, especially to see how Scott Peterson acted during the whole process. A lot of detail is given about each conversation, each feeling, each new discovery in the case.

I am intrigued and want to read more books about this case- the one thing where Sharon did not go into detail was the forensics and other evidence brought during the trial- she didn't even co
Kelly
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Sharon Rocha, the mother of Laci Peterson, wrote this wrenchingly heart-felt book about the love she has for her daughter and the pain of losing her. We've all seen pictures of the sweet girl with the beautiful smile, but here Sharon shares Laci's spirit with those of us who have gotten to know her a little bit through the media.

The fact that Scott's actions before/during/after the murder were reprehensible is an understatement, but the behavior of his parents towards Laci's family is (almost)
Starlet Laura
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I thought this book was well written, penned by the mother of a daughter who was killed in such a horrible way by her husband and he was very close to the family. The resulting events with the husband's (Scott Peterson) parents, post murder, and how the parents antics are described in this book ,with such control by the author, is amazing. I'm just glad that it was put out there in writing for all to see. It comes across as a very accurate account, not sensationalized at all. So glad that Scott ...more
Devika Koppikar
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best, in-depth and heartfelt books I've ever encountered. I listened to the Audio CD for this as well. It was well organized, and you could really feel what Sharon Rocha was feeling about her daughter. It also was peppered with spiritual contemplation....Sharon wondering if she picked up any clues about Scott's future crime. I also liked the part about Laci's love for lady bugs and how they kept showing up in unusual numbers on the day the trial verdict was read. My deepest sympathies ...more
Betsy (Betsy R)
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I loved this book. I feel terrible saying this considering the unbelievable anguish this woman went through losing her daughter and unborn grandson. It amazes me that she was able to share her personal and heartbreaking story with everyone. I remember when Laci first went missing and immediately thought her husband was guilty of doing something to her. The way he acted in this book just confirms, at least to me, that he was 100% guilty for murdering his beautiful wife and their innocent baby boy ...more
Eva Leger
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
Recommended to Eva by: followed Laci's story on the news and was interested
I read this not too long after it came out and was mesmerized by this womans strength. I had no problem spending my money on this since the money was going to charity and I ended up reading a fantastic book.
I later shared this with numerous people because I liked it so much. Anyone who likes memoirs, most mothers out there, anyone who followed what happened to Laci closely, will probably get a lot from this book.
I'm glad Sharon wrote it- Laci would have wanted her to I'm sure.
Don't miss it- i
Michelle Gurr
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this book today and then realized I had already read it! I don't know why I didn't remember that, I read all the books about Laci when they came out. I was very disturbed by her disappearance and the events that followed. Living so close to where her whole family lives reminds me often of their loss. I've cried so often for Laci and her son, I didn't know them, I can't imagine the pain her friends and family feel. I decided to keep reading even though I could probably retell the course ...more
Lennie
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sharon Rocha writes about her daughter, Laci Peterson, who was murdered by her husband, Scott, when she was seven months pregnant. It's a heartbreaking story and it's obvious as you read the book that Sharon had a close-knit relationship with her daughter Laci. Despite her ordeal, Sharon went on to help pass a law that makes it a crime to harm a fetus during an attack on a pregnant woman. I'm glad that something positive came out of all of it.
Nicolle
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
God Bless you,Sharon Rocha. I will not even attempt to understand the devastation and loss of faith that you were forced to experiance. I will tell you that I am touched by your compassion and your restraint. You can tell when you wrote this book that it was written for Laci and Connor.I want to Thank You for writing with your heart and sharing it with all of us that were not able to meet Laci for ourselves.
May god bless and keep your family.
Christine
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Couldn't put the book down. Could not believe what this family went thru. It is so different what you know from the media and reading it you live it thru the mother and family. From reading the book Laci seems like a wonderful person that everyone loved. In the book her mom says something about how if Scott Peterson wanted out "Divorce is always and option not murder" her comment just stuck with me the whole book.
Evi Rodriguez
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is, of course, from the point of view of the victims mother. She takes you down her road of anguish and despair of learning her precious daughter is missing and subsequently struggling with the mounting shadows of doubt cast upon her beloved son-in-law. This is NOT a true crime novel. Just a mom channeling her grief.
Michelle Bouchor
Loved it! After the harrowing times that her family went through, it's amazing that they're as strong as they are now. It was a wonderful tribute to a lovely young woman.
Brandy
Sep 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very sad story, it was portrayed in the media just as the book was written. But, it was nice to get a background on Lacy and what kind of person she was before her untimely death.
Jeanne Green
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was very moving. She tells the story as if you were right there with her and I was hanging on to every word she wrote. Very emotional.
Amy Davis
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a great book! I was expecting an overly emotional book of how much the author missed her daughter and how hurt she is over her daughter's devastating murder - and that would have been justified as that is exactly how Sharon Rocha should feel. However, Sharon did a great job explaining details of Laci's life and the women she was, and really took the reader through every turn of emotion. I ended this book with tears and appreciation for Sharon sharing Laci's life and what she went t ...more
Maya B
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime, memoir
This was an emotional read. I remember the media hyped up scott peterson so much that people never got to know the victim, Laci. It was nice to read this because it was from viewpoint of the victim's mother.
Lena Hackler Head
Such a powerful and emotional book. I didn't expect to find an 'ah-ha' missing link to the murders while reading, but I did find a very raw and torn mother with pain you could feel with each turn of the page. Fast read and engaging, I didn't want to put it down.
Roberta
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is one point in this book when the mother is at her daughter's coffin that will haunt me forever. NO mother should have to go through this.
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
  • Beyond All Reason: My Life With Susan Smith
  • A Beautiful Child
  • His Name is Ron: Our Search for Justice
  • Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony
  • Tears of Rage: From Grieving Father to Crusader for Justice: The Untold Story of the Adam Walsh Case
  • Laci: Inside the Laci Peterson Murder
  • Murder In Brentwood
  • Because You Loved Me
  • Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives
  • Not Lost Forever: My Story of Survival
  • A Twisted Faith: A Minister's Obsession and the Murder That Destroyed a Church
  • Captive: The Untold Story of the Atlanta Hostage Hero