Start by marking “Farm Fresh Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Farm Fresh Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #1)

Farm Fresh Murder

(Farmers' Market #1)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  1,643 Ratings  ·  172 Reviews
First in the Farmer's Market Mystery Series.

Becca Robins leads a simple life, making jams and preserves on her very own farm. But when there's a murder in her quaint little town, she puts herself in the line of fire to defend her friend's innocence-and goes from making jam to being in one.

Published April 6th 2010 by Berkley (first published March 31st 2010)

Sabrina Ogden
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Well, I knew I was in for a good read when I noticed on the cover that this book came with recipes. You can't possibly write a book showcasing the talents of the vendors participating in a Farmer's Market and not give us some of their secrets. And for the family of vendors at Bailey's Farmer's Market, there are more than their fair share of secrets going on!

Becca Robins, the towns unofficial crime fighter, lives on a small farm with her dog, Hobbit. She sells jams and preserves at Bailey's, whic
BJ Rose
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.5* but really couldn't give it 3* - I usually round up but this just dragged; I had to remind myself that I had this in a challenge so I couldn't quit. It did get better about 2/3 of the way in, but not enough to give it that boost up. I realize I'm in the minority here - I see lots of 4* ratings, so I may give the next one in the series a try to be fair to the author.
Jenna
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozies, mystery, series
My DVR is always full. A variety of shows take up space on the virtual tapes -- reality and competition shows, a soap opera, serial dramas, and even a comedy or two. But there are also quite a lot of mystery and crime programs, too. When my mom and I watch any kind of competition shows or crime dramas, we have gotten into the habit of making guesses about who will be declared the winner,w ho will be sent home, and who the killer is. For the longest time, I would never guess correctly who-dun-it. ...more
Tari
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Becca Robins likes her life as a farmer's market worker. She specializes in amazing jams and preserves and takes a lot of pride in making them as perfect as she can. One day she's running late to the market and arrives to find that one of her fellow vendors, someone that no one apparently knew very well, was murdered. What's worse, her good friend Abner is either the murderer or has been set up to take the fall. Becca knows her friend simply can't be an axe murderer and she can't stand to see hi ...more
Linda
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
5 Stars!! Becca makes jams & preserves from her own fresh-grown strawberries & pumpkins; & sells them at the local Bailey's Farmers' Market. Her fraternal twin sister, Allison, manages Bailey's. One morning, Becca arrives with her day's goods to find the farmers' market a crime scene---a peach vendor, Mr. Simonsen, was murdered with an axe. Another vendor, Abner Justen, is accused of the killing because they were seen arguing before the body was discovered. Becca knows Abner well eno ...more
Amanda McGill
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
A body is found in the farmer's market one morning. Abner, one of the vendors, is accused of murder after a fight had broken out the previous day. Becca is determined to find the real killer, so Abner can be set free.

I was ready to give up on this novel after 7 pages when the death had already occurred. I really didn't want to read 250 pages of filler until the killer was revealed. Thankfully the novel did get better as it went on and I was surprised about who the killer was.

I didn't love Becc
Ed
#1 in the Farmers' Market mystery series. Becca Robins inherited a strawberry farm in SC from her aunt and uncle as she was graduating college. She gave up grad school for a venture in growing, preserving and marketing jams and preserves. For the past ten years she has been selling her goods at the Farmers' Market managed by her twin sister. This is an enjoyable cozy, but unusual in that we meet our protagonist ten years into her career and a veteran of two failed marriages. A large percentage o ...more
Cathy Cole
Jun 11, 2012 rated it liked it
First Line: "What?" I yelled into my cell phone.

When Becca Robins' aunt and uncle were killed in a car accident, her twin sister Allison inherited enough money to pay off her college loans and save some for her children's educations, and Becca inherited the couple's farm. Allison manages Bailey's Farmers' Market in rural South Carolina, and the morning she calls her sister in a panic, Becca has to stop working on her latest batch of jam to head straight over there.

Becca is well acquainted with
Rogue Reader
Farm Fresh Murder is a fun, fast read featuring Bailey's, a South Carolina farmers market, with a host of growers and crafters offering their goods. Becca Robins is the amateur sleuth, who makes jams and preservatives in a traditional, methodical and delicious manner. It's no surprise that she solves crimes the same way.

I loved the focus on food, the confusion of close, long standing protective relationships, the hard work of making a living off the land and the complexity of making a living in
Teresa Kander
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
The farmers' market in this book is WAY more exciting than any I've ever been to in my life. There's murder, secrets, and all sorts of intrigue going on.

This is my first book by Paige Shelton, and I'm sure it won't be my last--in fact, I'm picking up the first book in her Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery series from the library later today. I also plan to continue reading this series!

The characters are very well developed, and I look forward to getting to know more about them. The settings
Elizabeth
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in a cozy mystery series called Farmers' Market Mystery. Becca is a jam and preserves maker who grows her own fruit on her farm, and sells her jams and preserves at a farmers' market where her twin sister Allison is the manager. Early one morning a new merchant is found murdered. When another long time seller at the market is arrested for the murder Becca refuses to believe the kind, old man she knows could be the murderer. She sets out to prove it and, in doing so, puts h ...more
Jenn
Mar 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: american, crime, in-2015
Okay, so, the dialogue did somewhat read as though the author hadn't heard humans talk before, I don't want anyone's love interest to be described as possessing "magic spit", and the author seems to know about as much about farmer's markets as I do - i.e. it's a market where you can buy... farm things. Still, despite this bitching, I had a nice time reading this and the plot actually made sense, so, I will totes read more in this series if acquiring them involves absolutely no effort or money on ...more
Danielle
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
While I finished the book and was sufficiently surprised with the killers reveal, I don't think I will read the next in the series. The main character, Becca, was extremely wooden. She was too perfect, I think. I can't really put my finger on why I disliked her so much. She is supposedly very close to Abner, yet you don't get the impression that she is very upset by the possibility of him being the killer. Yes, she seeks out the true killer, but it was more for the farmer's market's reputation.
RebeccaS
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a fun new series! I love the setting of the farmers market and love how all of the characters are some kind of farmer or make their own stuff. Becca is a great character and it was really fun to follow her investigating. The other characters (especially Allison and Ian) were good too and really made this novel interesting. Of course I'm interested in where the romance will go. I will definitely be continuing with this series.
Lindsay
May 09, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mysteries
A mystery book should excite you and this one just didn't for me. I don't really care about any of the characters, so that makes it hard to get interested in a book. The concept is good. I never go to Farmers Markets, but they just sound so fresh and good. Unless of course someone gets murdered there. Ha ha.
Melodie
Apr 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2010
This one seemed to take forever to get thru. Didn't care for the main charcter much or any of the others either. Just dragged and dragged. Won't be waiting for another in this series.
Tim
Jun 29, 2012 rated it liked it
& now I'm hooked on the farmers market...
Linda
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge
Good start to the series! Everything seemed to go well and the characters were likeable. The only unbelievable thing was how much information the police divulged.
Marty
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Becca Robins has an affinity for working the land – specifically for growing wonderful strawberries, pumpkins, and berries which she turns into preserves and jams to sell at the local farmer’s market. The market, named Bailey’s, is run by her twin sister. It has a congenial group of local farmers who sell their products. All is going well, until one of the stand operators is found murdered just as the market is opening. Suspicion seems to center on Abner, a cranky old farmer who grows spectacula ...more
Lauri Saplad
Great first installment in a new series! Becca is a quirky young lady who leaves the big city behind in order to come back to South Carolina to grow her own produce. She then turns it into preserves which she sells at Bailey's Farmers Market, a permanent farm stand that runs daily. All is well and happy in the land until ---a newish-comer to Bailey's is found violently murdered! Becca and her insatiable curiousity are on the case along with some new friends and her loyal dog, Hobbit. She is boun ...more
Kathy
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Becca lives on a farm with her dog, Hobbit, where she raises strawberries and pumpkins. She has a commercial kitchen in her barn where she makes jams and preserves to sell at the Farmer’s Market run by her twin Allison. When a murder takes place at the market, and her friend Abner is blamed for it, she has to investigate. She ends up finding several suspects, and danger to herself. I’ve read several of Paige’s books in different series and like them all!
Deborah Almada
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it was the first I've read from this author and it will not be the last. I liked Becca, she is smart, hard working and flawed, she is also willing to learn more about herself and recognize faults. I like the farmers market setting, the characters and Becca's farm. This was a good mystery, I look forward to reading the second book in series.
⊱✿Gem✿⊰
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, read-2017
This was not one of the best cozies that I've read. The story was slow (and not that's not why it took so long for me to read it) until about 3/4 of the way through. I did like the main character and will probably give the next book in the series a read to see if the author does a better job of keeping my attention.
Debbie
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good cozy. I liked the diverse character base, which kept things interesting. The story kept me guessing pretty much until the end, and had me suspecting the wrong person a few times. There's some good potential for story development in the next installment, as there was also a hint of a developing love triangle. I'll definitely be reading book 2 to see what happens next.
Renee Flaig-leighton
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Story is very capturing and characters interesting and very likable. The plot is tight and the story moves quickly without being confusing. I read this in about 3 days. Made me want to read more by this author.
Victoria
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
charming little murder mystery in which Becca, a vendor at the farmers' market, tries to find out who really killed Matt. All the evidence points to her friend Abe but she is sure that he didn't do it.
Kaeeap
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Ian, Officer Brion - which one will turn out to be the love interest? what a convoluted drawn out mystery! Abner Jessop Simonsen
Dawn
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I had a hard time getting into this book for some reason, but I am not letting that discourage me from reading another one in this series
Julie
A terrible main character for me. I just rolled my eyes at her constantly.
Nancy Hollmaier
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
MS Shelton keeps the reader guessing
Has anyone read any of these authors? 2 4 Aug 19, 2018 03:51PM
  • Tressed to Kill (Southern Beauty Shop, #1)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee Mystery, #1)
  • One Bad Apple (Orchard, #1)
  • A Sheetcake Named Desire (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #1)
  • Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery, #1)
  • Killer Mousse (A Della Cooks Mystery #1)
  • Cookie Dough or Die (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • The Long Quiche Goodbye (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #1)
  • A Peach of a Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #1)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • Town in a Blueberry Jam (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #1)
  • A Killer Plot (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #1)
  • Death Threads (A Southern Sewing Circle, #2)
  • Murder at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #1)
  • State of the Onion (A White House Chef Mystery, #1)
  • Dipped, Stripped, and Dead (A Daring Finds Mystery, #1)
  • I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1)

Farmers' Market (6 books)
  • Fruit of All Evil (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #2)
  • Crops and Robbers (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #3)
  • A Killer Maize (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #4)
  • Merry Market Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #5)
  • Bushel Full of Murder (A Farmers' Market, #6)