Start by marking “Dark Beginnings (Lords of the Underworld, #0.5, 3.5, 4.5)” as Want to Read:
Dark Beginnings (Lords of the Underworld, #0.5, 3.5, 4.5)

Dark Beginnings (Lords of the Underworld, #0.5, 3.5, 4.5)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  3,446 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
This title includes three new stories, Lords of the Underworld, from "New York Times" bestselling author Gena Showalter.

"The Darkest Fire" - He is the guardian of Hell, more monster than man. She is the goddess of oppression, more angel than woman. Together they will enter the flames to battle a horde of demon lords - and discover a passion unlike any other...Discover the
Published April 16th 2010 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about Dark Beginnings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Beginnings

Exina
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Dark Beginnings is a great anthology containing three LOTU novellas and lots of extras.

The Darkest Fire
Prelude to the series, the story of the demon High Lords’ deserting Hell and the creation of Pandora’s box. My review.

The Darkest Prison
The hot and fast-paced story of Atlas, the Titan god of Strength and Nike, the Greek goddess of Strength and Victory. My review.

The Darkest Angel
My favorite from the novellas; the love story of Lysander, warrior angel of the Elite Seven and Bianka Skyhawk, th
Shawna
4 stars – Paranormal Romance Anthology

The Darkest Fire is an okay LOTU prequel story, but I didn’t really gain any further insights into the series and it’s just a bit too short. 3 stars.

The Darkest Prison is a pretty good LOTU ‘enemies to lovers’ story that I enjoyed. 4 stars.

The Darkest Angel is Lords of the Underworld story #4.5 that takes place between The Darkest Whisper and The Darkest Passion and tells the tale of innocent, pure-hearted warrior angel Lysander, a demon assassin, who finds
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
I loved this intermission to the Lords of The Underworld series. It had three different stories from three different timelines, one, way before the forming of Pandora's box, one, right after Titans overpower Greeks, and the last one about fierce Gwen's older sister Bianka and an angel named Lysander coming after The Darkest Whisper. I absolutely loved all three stories, sad at times yet very loveable. But my favourite must be the second one, with a Greek Goddess and a Titan God. Their story was ...more
Tutti Dolci
I had already read The Darkest fire and The Darkest Prison in ebook format in the past (and enjoyed them), but The Darkest Angel (the 3rd story in this three-story book) is what earned the 4-star rating from me.

Can you say unresolved sexual tension?

Well, a good chunk of the story is just that. And it is HAWT! Great build-up. Reminds me of Gena's pal's books (Immortals After Dark) in the way the sexual tension develops and builds.

So, suffice to say, the "climax" was rather deeelish. I think Lysan
Red Lace
Jun 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: LOTU fans
I thought I would absolutely love this book, which includes three short stories, three chapters of Maddox’s original story, interviews with the Lords and ladies and of course, an interview with Gena Showalter herself. I was a tad disappointed, but it was my own fault for having overly high expectations.

(Please be aware that this review may contain spoilers before reading further.)

The Darkest Fire takes us back to before Pandora’s Box was created. We are introduced to Kadence, Goddess of Oppress
Sath
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Since I've already read the first 2 novellas in this book, this is just a quick review of the 3rd novella - Lords of the Underworld 4.5 "The Darkest Angel".

Lysander is an Angel. Respectable, pure hearted, incredibly goodlooking. (And he also happens to be the mentor of the female Angel that has been stalking Aeron in recent novels).
Bianka is a Harpy, and the sister of Gwen (the harpy from book 4).
Lysander notices Bianka playing bizarre games of 'who can break the least bones while jumping off a
Robyn
From the three stories in this book, the Darkest Angel was definitely my favorite, followed by the Darkest Prison. The Darkest Angel is the story of Lysander (the angel who watches over the Lords of the Underworld demon posessed gods from the series by Gena Showalter). I wasn't sure I would like the story, but I've read nine of these books, and my mind kept wondering back to how Lysander met his harpy and how they came to be. This novella is a fun, humerous and steamy read.

The Darkest Prison I
Rebecca (Bec)
So I didnt know when or where this book should be in the series and that kind of annoyed me. I tend to go on GR alot and I guess I need to look at official Author pages instead. I started reading The darkest passion and was missing small bits and pieces. Turns out (if you havent read it) read this one before The Darlesk Passion, especially if you are particularly Anal about reading orders like myself. I know people say it doesn't matter etc etc. but I HATE HATE HATE reading things out of order a ...more
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Darkest Fire, LOTU 0.5

5 Stars

I wasn't expecting to like this that much as after reading the first three books of the Lords of the Underworld series I already know that this isn't going to end well for the Goddess of Oppression. However, after a few pages I was hooked and I really enjoyed this really short (90 pages approx) story. It is a Beauty and the Beast story, with a beautiful woman and an ugly man-thing. But you can see why despite his appearence, although he does have some very cute littl
Sandra
Jul 16, 2010 rated it liked it
This anthology was very choppy.

Darkest Fire was 2*. Darkest Prison was 3*. Darkest Angel 3.5*. And all the added extra bits were also 3.5*. So an overall rating of 3*.

The first 2 were really pre LoTU and Darkest Angel was Bianca the Harpy & Lysander the Angels HEA. Bianca is Gwen's older sister and Gwen & Sabin's wedding is a small feature at the end of the tale.

Added extras were quite amusing - interviews of the Lords by William, Gilly interviewing all the ladies etc.
Mary
Oct 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book has a compilation of 3 stories one of which is about Lysander & Bianka and how they meet.

I enjoyed all three stories but what I liked most about this book was not only that it was a light read but the fact that William (Willie) interviews the Lords of the Underworld individually. William has me literally laughing out loud with his smart ass comments and in one scene he has an altercation with Kane (Keeper of Disaster).

Great read!

Sofia Lazaridou
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just love the novellas of the series. I am still waitng for William and Jill to get their own novel, since everyone seems to get one but them
Adrielle
A collection if shirt stories that fill in the blanks in The Lords of the Underworld series. Nothing spectacular but I liked it.
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under The Covers

The Darkest Fire - LOTU # 0.5
3 Stars

Bringing you back to where it all started in a way. However the Demon Lords as we now know them are really not in this story. This is the story of Geryon, Guardian of the Gates of Hell, and Kadence, Goddess of Oppression.

He is not beautiful, how could a true beauty like Kadence want to even look at him. He feels like this from page one. Always beneath everyone, considered as low as a dog. With his almost demon-like app
Sparklybearsy¤°.¸¸.•´¯`»

Twenty(ish) Questions with Kresley Cole
Classified Files: From the Private Records of Dean Stefano
Behind the Scenes: Creating the Lords of the Underworld
At home with the Lords of the Underworld
Round table: the women of the underworld speak
Frequently asked questions
Sneak peek of The Darkest Passion
The Sacred Scrolls
Glossary
Rachel (aka Ms4Tune)
Ok so Dark Beginnings is 3 short stories to accompany the Lords of the Underworld series and a few fictional interviews and fiction facts about the Lords.

The first short story was The Darkest Fire - this is supposedly a prequel to the Lords of the underworld and follows Geryon, a monster/man who guards the gates of hell to ensure the demons within never escape. He falls for the Goddess of Oppression, Kadence who is linked to the walls of hell to strengthen and maintain them. However when the wa
Mrs Wilson
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gena-showalter
Lords of the Underworld: Dark Beginnings (No Spoilers)

I absolutely love the Lords of the Underworld books and whilst I read this one when it was released I didn't get around to reviewing it so thought I would give it the review it deserves now. For anyone who has maybe not read any of the Lords of the Underworld series then I would one hundred percent recommend them and any Gena Showalter books. Whilst obviously having the romance side to them they also have lots of action, humour and a brillian
Filipa
The Darkest Fire:
This short story is exactly that. Short. Nonetheless, is cute and shows that love is always present in our existence no matter you live or die like the characters of this anthology. It always persists. No matter if you are ugly or gorgeous.
It shows the beauty of the souls and the bonding of two people who cherish each other.
It is a good beginning for LOTUS series. I always wanted to know how the High Lords ended inside Pandora’s Box.

The Darkest Prison:
This short-story is mu
Ruth
Aug 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: spec-fic
c2010: A combination of 3 'novellas' namely The Darkest Fire, The Darkest Prison and The Darkest Angel. This was a recommendation from GR that popped up when adding one of Kresley Cole's books onto my shelf. The first point is that the stories actually stop at Page 275 out of a total of 458 - the balance being called A Bonus Guide to the Lords of the Underworld. Being new to this particular series, I found this rather self aggrandising than informative. I did find it slightly interesting that he ...more
CriCra CriCra
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: venduto
Kristen
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: stars-2
I won't start this review with a synopsis, since that is available under the book description.

The Darkest Fire is a prequel to the Lords of the Underworld series. It is about the Guardian to the gates of Hell named Geryon, and the Goddess of Oppression named Kadence. In short it's sort of a twisted beauty and the beast style story. It didn't quite live up to my expectations, since I really like the Lords of the Underworld series. I wasn't a fan of either character or their strange relationship.

T
Alexis-Morgan Roark
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ooops! I actually read, "Darkest Angel," in "Heart of Darkness."

I enjoyed Bianka's story more than Gwen's. Not sure why.

I think Gwen whined to much for me...which continues in this story as she prepares for a big event.

The whole angel/demon thing really did it for me. Lysander trying to save her was beyond ironic when we all know who actually needed saving.

I was thankful to the shout out to the One True God and that there is actually something BIGGER than all of this. Thanks, Gena.

Anyway, great
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Saiber
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it
So I have only read 0.5 and 3.5 yet to read 4.5.
Anyway I have already reviewed the first one. 3.5 introduces Atlas, The Titan God of Strength and Nike, The Greek Goddess of Strength. They are well matched and it is a nice little story.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE - The authenticity of the story line. If you want to modernize the Greek Gods and Titans - very well, but do it so that it looks like it. The story doesnt feel like we are talking about the actual Gods - rather just a made up version of people wi
R*beth*h Hart
Apr 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was great! So creative I love the varitaion in this book compared to a novel. This book really lets you know the author, how she feels about what she writes and what's to come. I absolutely loved the created interviews and the lord-girls meeting about their men. Like many others I am sure I am glad she changed up her storyline for the Lords and did not go with her original write up. My favorite part was the interview between Gena and her favorite author Kresley Cole. I love the stories that ...more
Emily (Mrs B's Books)
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Doh... Should have bought this before I bought the other two novella's in ebook format.

Loved Bianka's story of how she meets her Angel. It was a brilliant story and it had me smiling, it was also nice to meet the Angel Olivia who has been spying on Aeron.

I also LOVED all the extras in the book and found Williams Q&A with the boys really funny as well as the interview of Gena by Kresley Cole.
Ally
Sep 27, 2011 rated it liked it
I bought Dark Beginnings just for The Darkest Angel as I had previously read The Darkest Fire and The Darkest Prison. I really enjoyed the interaction between Lysander and Bianka and how awesome Bianka was. I really enjoyed how Lysander found himself so tied with what to do and how to react to Bianka and the ending was fabulous! Made me giggle. Great short, quick read!
ShoSho
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
It seems that I like the novellas more that the main books. this one was really good . I was reading it on my way home and couldn't stop myself from laughing out loud.
there is this hilarious scene in it .the oil tub , so so funny loved it.
this review is for the darkest angel .
I loved the three of the stories.
Ilona
Jun 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, paranormal
These were all way too short for me and unfortunately they didn't make me feel like I was learning anything new about the world and it's characters. I enjoyed them for the sheer pleasure of returning to that world, but that was all. I didn't read the interviews so I have no opinion on them but I expect most fans of the series will enjoy at least one of the stories, if not all three.
EvaS
Sep 12, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good "addition" to the series, and I did like the stories and interviews in this book; however, I am not a fan of these side stories and novellas about current storylines and characters. I like knowing there is a series (Book 1 through to whatever), and when these Books 0.5 & 3.5, and whatever else pop up, it throws me off... I dunno. I'm just weird like that.
  • Deep Kiss of Winter (Includes: Immortals After Dark, #8; Alien Huntress, #3.5)
  • The Bodyguard (Includes: T-FLAC, #14.5)
  • Chain of Illusions (Bringer and the Bane, #3)
  • Darkness Divine
  • Grave Destinations (Grave, #2)
  • Blade Dance (Cold Iron, #4)
  • Lord of Rage (Royal House of Shadows, #2)
  • Mysteria Lane (Mysteria #2)
  • Big Bad Beast / The Mane Event / The Beast in Him
  • Overkill: Snippets of Demonica Life (Demonica #5.7)
  • Playing Easy to Get (B.A.D. Agency #1.5; Vikings Underground #3; Immortals After Dark #1)
  • Lord of the Wolfyn (Royal House of Shadows, #3)
  • To Die Fur (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery, #2)
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over thirty books in paranormal and contemporary romances, as well as young adult novels. Her series include White Rabbit Chronicles, Angels of the Dark, Otherworld Assassins, Lords of the Underworld, Alien Huntress and Intertwined.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Seventeen Magazine, and have been transl
More about Gena Showalter...
“Bianka," he said, his patience clearly waning. "This is not a game. Do not make me bind you to my bed."
"Ohhh, now that I like. Sounds kinky." She darted around him running her fingertips over his cheek, his neck. "You're as soft as a baby."
He sucked in a breath, stiffened. "Bianka."
"But better equipped."
"Bianka!"
She patted his butt. "Yes?”
27 likes
“I haven't have fun for a long time," Kaia said with a pout.
"Me, either. Except with myself, but I don't suppose that counts."
"It does the way I do it.”
16 likes