Start by marking “Jemima Puddle-Duck: a Sound Book” as Want to Read:
Jemima Puddle-Duck: a Sound Book

Jemima Puddle-Duck: a Sound Book (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  8,247 Ratings  ·  238 Reviews
The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck is brought to life with new sound technology. Musical sounds included on each spread enhance the classic story of Jemima Puddle-Duck, her ducklings, and a certain foxy gentleman. This technology integrates sounds right into the book without any clunky buttons. The interactive sounds include: bunnies melody, pit pat, paddle pat pit pat, waddle ...more
Board Book, 10 pages
Published January 21st 2010 by Warne (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about Jemima Puddle-Duck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jemima Puddle-Duck

Manny
Jan 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
There's a scene in the movie Heartburn where Jack Nicholson is reading this book to his very young daughter. He finishes it, and sits there stunned for a second. Then he shakes his head and whistles. "Whew! What a story!"

I concur :)
_______________________________________

The plot of Jemima Puddleduck is remarkable similar to that of many trashy French crime novels. I consider this further in my review of Les Stripteaseuses du Petit Ecran.
Caroline
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a child, but that was a gazillion years ago. Thanks to a friend sending me a link again today, I got the chance to enjoy it again, this time on-line. It was incredibly interesting too, in some instances Beatrix Potter's animal and bird-centric perspective makes one feel a bit uncomfortable. Nature (& mankind's) harsher realities are not avoided. What a rewarding read.

PS ....and those illustrations.... ♥ ♥ ♥

Calista
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure why I enjoyed this story so much and I did. Jemima, I think, reminds me of myself a tad bit. She takes up the archetype of the fool and walks blindly into her predators home. She even gathers herbs and ingredients to cook her with. Luckily the trusty dog is there to save the day. I love foxes and even though the fox is a scoundrel in this story I like the fox. This is a good one. You should read it.
Skylar Burris
Oct 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Your average child in the early 1900's must have had considerably more advanced vocabulary expectations than your average child today. I'm always amazed by the complexity of these Potter stories compared to modern children's stories, although this one is slightly simpler than the others.

This is one of my daughter's favorite Beatrix Potter stories. Of course. There is a sinister threat involved, and potential death, and destruction. That sort of thing always manages to hold her interest. Beware
Ladiibbug
#9 Peter Rabbit children's series

Ooooh, this charmed me from the cover -- cutie pie Jemima Puddle-Duck with her baby blue bonnet and pink shawl. I spent an extra hour after reading, ooh'ing and ahhh-ing over the wonderful artwork. I could easily keep this on my bedside table and immerse myself in the art & story.

Absolutely loved the innocent Jemima Puddle-Duck happily walking along with the nattily dressed fox.

Somehow as a child I missed reading the Peter Rabbit books. In 2017, I plan to rea
GoldGato
Jemima Puddle-Duck, a duck before her time, wants to hatch her own eggs. While her sister-in-law is quite happy to bypass such a rigorous job, Jemima is adamant...her eggs, her hatching. She leaves the safety of the farm to find a special nesting spot, but this liberated ducky runs into a foxy gentleman who is not quite the good samaritan as she believes him to be.

Allen Atkinson is the illustrator for this edition of the Potter classic. Such a wonderful talent who died so young, his Peter Rabbit
Afro Madonna🍋
Awwwn. This was so fun to read. I missed reading children's books and picked this one off the library shelf as I thought Jemima Puddle-duck looked really dashing and ladylike in her bonnet and all her 'duckery '. Might start rereading a lot of children's books now. Ah, the nostalgia.
Kristin Davison
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-manga
This is a beautiful illustrated comic showing a different version of the much loved tale. I picked this up at my local library as part of a Beatrix Potter re imagined gallery. http://www.comicartfestival.com/beatr...
Anna
A great cautionary fable about not blindly putting your trust in just anyone, even if they seem really nice. As my favorite musical "Into the Woods" puts it: "Nice is different than good."
Morgan
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
After owning ducks and having a duck like Jemima Puddle-Duck, I have way more appreciation for this story.
monica ♪
Very short, cute and entertaining read ❤
A good choice to get out of my reading slump. LOL
Eve Littlejohn
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having not read this book before I was quite surprised by the story, assuming it was going to be a happy tale about a mother duck and her babies. In reality, a naive duck leaves the safety of her home in order to find a place where she can hatch her eggs by herself. Along the way she meets a gentleman who is nice to her and appears to be trying to help her, which ends up with her putting her eggs at risk.
I think that overall the book provides a good message for children. Firstly it shows the imp
Wanda
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jemima Puddle-Duck is a very stupid duck (in the author's words) and gets herself into quite a pickle. Fortunately a friend dog sees the problem and does something about it. Beautifully illustrated and written.
Leigha's Little Library
I decided to do some rereads of Beatrix Potter. I loved them as a child, and still enjoy them as an adult.
Malia
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Reread this one while waiting to enter Beatrix Potter's Hill Top Farm in England.

It is a grisly tale about reproductive justice! Poor Jemima, who isn't particularly smart but wants to be a mother, isn't allowed to make her own decisions. So desperate times and all that, she goes on the lam. She gets duped by one terrible dude taking advantage of her dire situation, and the dudes who try to save her end up ruining everything. (#banmen, am I right?) Jemima Puddle-duck ends up pretty traumatized fr
Kaethe
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved the foxy whiskered gentleman, and have always been concerned about Jemima's naivete. Poor, stupid duck. My children were rather less than impressed with how the big strong dogs save her.
Marts  (Thinker)
Beatrix Potter was truely a great childrens author, she gives all the animals such real life qualities, her books aren't only entertaining but children can also learn quite afew lessons from them. I enjoyed them all, and I've got quite a few on audio.
Kristi Gatti
May 07, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
We just went through some boxes and I found this book.
I remember being stunned at the ending. Is there a moral? Maybe "don't trust anyone". If you need to give your kids a reality check...read this. No Hollywood ending here.
Maria Carmo
Reading Beatrix Potter because I saw the movie about her and was delighted by her sensible delicacy and mixture of imagination and pragmatism.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 2 February 2015.
Binibining `E (Maria Eleynita)
What does the fox says!! Hahaha. Oh oh the when there is fox involved you know what always happens. Hmm that sly fox. tsk tsk. Poor Jemima.
Chris
Potter really does have a wonderful sense of humor. There is a whole other level for adults here.
Janis
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another treasure by Beatrix Potter.
Melissa
So after reading Peter Rabbit yesterday I decided to read another Beatrix Potter book and chose this one. I had never read this one before but had a vague recollection of my husband telling me he read this book to my stepdaughter and that there was something about the book that he didn't like.

Jemima Puddle Duck is a simpleton who wants to lay some eggs. She comes across a fox who lets her lay her eggs in his feather filled woodshed. Will someone save from Jemima and her eggs from this crafty fo
Lucy
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read the Tales of the delightful and silly Jemima Puddle-Duck numerous times now, both as an adult and a child.

It is magical to read this as much as an adult as when I were a child because of the memories it holds, the history with a female author and publishing. I love how this book strikes a magical cord with me, and has done since I was child. Poor Jemima, she really is so naive. Luckily there is someone there to look out for her and save the day, she really is a numpty! However, it's
Luisa Knight
Beatrix Potter created such delightful stories! Not only is her visual imagery richly captivating but so is her literary prose. She was a true artist and possessed a classic, graceful style.

Her stories are best read on a blanket in your garden or backyard; Spring and Autumn are best.

Ages: 3 - 7

#spring #autumn #animalstories
Angie
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always loved Beatrix Potter stories growing up.
Linda Rusche
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grandkids-books
This book could have a few more pages in it, explaining that the foxy gentleman are Jemima's eggs and tricks her into the shed.
Jeannette
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely little book.
Bunda Memeberikanku Pensil Terbaik Untuk Mewarnai 1 1 Aug 29, 2016 02:32AM
  • Winter Story
  • Kate Greenaway's Mother Goose
  • Morgan and Me (Serendipity)
  • The Church Mouse
  • The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge
  • The Adventures of Peter Cottontail: Adventures of Peter Cottontail
  • Babar and His Children
  • The Jolly Pocket Postman
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit