Start by marking “Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Stories” as Want to Read:
Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Stories

Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Stories

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  3,018 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
Best known for his masterpiece of horror, Dracula, Bram Stoker wrote a number of other novels and many short stories, all on supernatural themes or filled with a physical terror reminiscent of Poe. Dracula's Guest was originally part of the great novel, but was excised and published separately. Some of these stories, such as The Squaw, The Judge's House and The Burial of t ...more
Paperback, Penguin Classics, 408 pages
Published March 1st 2007 by Penguin Books (first published 1914)

Pramod Nair
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of nine outlandish and macabre short stories from Bram Stocker was originally published in 1914 with the title Dracula's Guest & Other Supernatural Tales. It was published as an anthology after Stocker's death by his widow and contained some of his previously published short stories along with an unpublished tale named Dracula's Guest - which was discovered in manuscript form from Bram Stocker's papers in 1912.

In the preface to the anthology, Florence Bram Stocker, the widow
Sean Gibson
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not really a review, but a brief discussion about a cool experience reading this book in a spooky old library can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog...
Annie

As I ventured to end my sojourn into literature that bore tales of the supernatural and with a presage of dread, in an effort to diversify my reading habits, I tread not farther than the writers who had earlier bought me great joy with their superior penmanship. And with the end of Halloween for the year was drawing to a close, I chose this collection of stories written by the writer who had romanced me with the gothic allure of Dracula.

Published posthumously by his wife, the primary in the col

Oscar
La presente antología recoge los nueve relatos publicados originalmente en Dracula’s Guest And Other Weird Stories (1914), además de cuatro cuentos reunidos por primera vez por Peter Haining.

EL INVITADO DE DRÁCULA Y OTROS RELATOS EXTRAÑOS:

El invitado de Drácula (****) Un viajero inglés decide salir de paseo la Noche de Walpurgis, desoyendo los consejos de los empleados del hotel donde se hospeda. Este relato fue suprimido por Bram Stoker de su Drácula, en lo que iba a ser el prefacio de esta obr
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Πολύ καλύτερο απ' ότι περίμενα, πολύ πιο ενδιαφέρον, με ανθιρωπινες ιστορίες και πρωταγωνιστές που δεν τους λες και άμεμπτους. Ομολογώ ότι ο Στόουκερ δε με κέρδισε με τον Δράκουλά του αλλά με τούτο εδώ μου δείχνει τι άρεσε στον υπόλοιπο κόσμο.
Ignacio Senao f
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Para nada Bram es tan solo Drácula. Sino que Drácula es uno de los mejores libros de la historia. Sus relatos son otras genialidades, fácil de seguir la trama y adentrarte en sus personajes. Siempre con un buen desarrollo y final.
George K.
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
"Ο προσκεκλημένος του Δράκουλα και άλλες παράξενες ιστορίες", εκδόσεις Αίολος.

Η συγκεκριμένη συλλογή διηγημάτων είναι η δεύτερη επαφή μου με το έργο του Μπραμ Στόουκερ, μετά το κλασικό και πολύ καλό "Ντράκουλα" που διάβασα τον Οκτώβριο του 2014. Έτυχε να την βρω πέρυσι τέτοια εποχή σε παλαιοβιβλιοπωλείο με ένα τάλιρο, αν και ήταν από τα βιβλία που θα τσίμπαγα έτσι και αλλιώς από κανονικό βιβλιοπωλείο. Τέλος πάντων, χρειάζεται και λίγη τύχη.

Λοιπόν, έχουμε να κάνουμε με εννιά διηγήματα που ανήκουν
Lara (Bookishsolace)
Creepy short stories by the man who brought us Dracula. Paintings come to life, rats run amok, twisted tales of revenge. If you loved Dracula, you will enjoy these short stories. Read it at night, alone in a poorly lighted room with the wind blowing outside and old branches scratching at the window. Perfectly creepy.

The nine stories in this collection are:

Dracula’s Guest
A Drea
Tobin Elliott
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook

Gotta say, I had a fun time with this one. The title story is literally an outtake from Dracula, and, to be honest, likely the weakest of the lot. Stoker breaks out all the classic horror tropes here: rats, unsavoury characters, drafty old houses, all of it.

None of the stories are truly terrifying. The intervening 120 years between its publish date and now have seen to that, but the stories are absolutely well-written and enjoyable. Stoker shows he has a deft touch with characters at times, tho
Alexander
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
These (more or less) short stories, some of which are not bad, vary in quality. All of them, however, stay well below the example set by Stokers widely known "Dracula" novel. By far the longest of them, "The Lair of the White Worm" suffers from quite a number of plot holes, poorly conveyed parts of the story and unnecessary repititions. It felt like the first version you'd hand to your editor, and he'd say: 'Well, dear Bram, this could be a splendid story. If we cut at least one third of the tex ...more
Violeta
Las historias son muy dispares: hay historias clásicas de fantasmas vengativos, de casas embrujadas, de doppelgangers. Algunas son graciosas, otras de terror, otras bastante religiosas... Hay un par medio flojas, pero a The Judge's House, por ejemplo, le pondría cinco estrellitas.
Además, hay un par de cuentos en los que las mujeres se desmayan mucho.
Cat Tobin
Some great stories in this; the one about the kitten ("The Squaw") is eye-squeezingly and shoulder-tensingly horrific, "The Judge's House" left me nervous about being alone in the house, and "A Gipsy Prophecy" and "A Crystal cup" were no less horrific for highly tragic. Others, like "The Red Stockade", left me more confused than scared, but overall this is a good read.
Trina
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow. While everyone was busy reading Poe and Lovecraft these short stories have been gathering dust. Who knew Stoker had a wealth of twisted little short stories in addition to his genre-spawning novel? I certainly didn't but I am glad I discovered them. I already plan to revisit these stories from time to time. Read these!
PennsyLady (Bev)
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 ★

My favorite was Dracula's Guest
You just can't compete with the aristocratic vampire.

I found some short stories more interesting than others.
They had elements of the supernatural , physical terror and always an unsettling
aura.
Since Bram Stoker wrote a number of novels and many short stories, I'll search for more.

5 AUDIO DISCS
Kristy
Mar 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I enjoyed this book; the only reason I didn't give it a higher rating was because one or two of the stores were just kinda blah. But the majority were very interesting and freaky: personal favorite is The Judge's House.
Lisa
Nov 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oooooh! Some eerie stories in here.

My favourites were "A Dream of Red Hands" and "The Chain of Destiny".

"The Crystal Cup" was a very different type of story from the rest of the collection; haunting, tragic, and so well described I could picture each scene.
Rachel
Oct 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Hate to rate Stoker so low since I LOVED Dracula however, some of these stories were just gruesome. I don't really enjoy that sort of dark stuff. I didn't care to finish the book.
Anne
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this short story by Bram Stoker. A very tense, scary story that is well-written with a twist I should have seen coming.
Richard Cubitt
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some very good tales here. Dracula's Guest: highly atmospheric, The Judge's House: eerie, The Burial of the Rats: leftovers of the French Revolution get nasty, Crooken Sands: doppelgangers, or not as the case maybe. And The Lair of the White Worm - hastily written by a dying Stoker. Too easily dismissed as deathbed ravings. There's a lot to enjoy: Caswall's obsession with his Kite, the confrontation between Oolanger, Adam, and Lady Arabella, and Caswall's ruminations over and sleep-opening of Me ...more
Víctor Carrión
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: clásicos
Cuando lo empecé pensaba que prometía muchísimo y que sin duda le iba a poner cinco estrellas pero al final he de reconocer que se me ha hecho un poco largo en algunos tramos aunque creo que merece la pena leerlo porque he disfrutado mucho en algunos tramos del libro.
Elisa
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, owned
pada dasarnya aku suka cerita ttg Dracula, dan ternyata sudah pernah baca cerita Dracula's Guest ini, dulu baca di ebook....
Cerita pendek lainnya lumayan lah, tapi nggak semua kubaca..... soalnya pgn baca yg lain
Trine Nielsen
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some of the stories was a little bit boring, otherwise really good, with a good story line.
Rebecca Adams
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dracula is one of my favorite horror books of all time, so I thought I'd give Bram Stoker's short stories a try. This collection was fantastic... the audiobook was very well done.
Jeannette
Some short stories are better than the others but all in all, these are quintessential gothic horror tales.
An  Xin
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice collection of Stoker's short stories, a delight to read.
Laura Morrigan
I would definitely recommend getting a lightly annotated or footnoted edition of this book, such as this one. Stoker makes reference to many interesting scientific and historical facts and studies such as mesmerism, the Hellgate explosion, the Philosopher's Stone, genus and species, Voodoo, etc. and it is good to have an explanation and reference for those you may not be familiar with.

The book consists of a series of (mostly) Gothic short stories and the novella, The Lair of the White Worm.

The
Alexander
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of "Dracula" and other vampire legends, Fans of the macabre
Bram Stoker's collection of short stories is overall a good read, though it gets quite tedious in spots because of his love of going into descriptions of settings and moods and whatnot for page upon page upon page. One can argue that this is just a product of the age that it was written in (take into consideration their thought processes and speaking styles, etc.) Because of this, conversations that, by today's standards, would be confined to few paragraphs stretch on for the span of an entire c ...more
Andy
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The variety of this collection is it's real strength, there's nothing here I would term an absolute masterpiece, but the stories are consistently good, and for that alone the collection is worthy of praise.

I list them here, my favorites first:

"Dracula's Guest" is a great story about an Englishman who doesn't heed warnings about an abandoned German village full of vampires.

"The Judge's House" is another great story, a classic haunted house tale full of cozy, yet creepy atmosphere about a student
M
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gothic, horror
(Note: this rating and review is only about the short stories. To read my review of Lair of the White Worm go to that page.)

This is an excellent collection of short stories, with some really creepy and disturbing ones. Stoker clearly didn't have a one-off hit with Dracula - he's got a lot more good stuff in him. I've read Dracula's Guest, the titular story, a number of times before, and while it's still fun, it's definitely one of the weaker ones. It lacks the terror and cleverness of the first
Mike
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-owned
3.5 stars. Well, this is a little more of what I expected from Bram Stoker. I was quite disillusioned after reading the disastrous Lair of the White Worm (which I have reviewed separately from Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Tales, even though it appears tacked onto this collection in the Penguin edition). This collection was published by Stoker's widow after his death, and it makes up for the rushed hack-job of White Worm (no matter how much the editor of the Penguin edition tries to legitimi ...more
Dracula's Guest readable online 1 3 May 22, 2015 11:11AM
  • Complete Ghost Stories
  • The Many Faces of Van Helsing
  • Wagner the Werewolf
  • Ghost and Horror Stories
He was born Abraham Stoker in 1847 at 15 Marino Crescent – then as now called "The Crescent" – in Fairview, a coastal suburb of Dublin, Ireland. His parents were Abraham Stoker and the feminist Charlotte Mathilda Blake Thornely. Stoker was the third of seven children. Abraham and Charlotte were members of the Clontarf Church of Ireland parish and attended the parish church (St. John the Baptist lo ...more
More about Bram Stoker

• Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Great Man
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Prince of Tides
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Say Her Name
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
  • The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    $12.99 $1.99
“She told me that she did not like the idea of your being in that house all by yourself, and that she thought you took too much strong tea. In fact she wants me to advise you if possible to give up the tea and the very late hours.” 10 likes
“Walpurgis Night, when, according to the belief of millions of people, the devil was abroad - when the graves were opened and the dead came forth and walked. When all evil things of earth and air and water held revel. This very place the driver had specially shunned. This was the depopulated village of centuries ago. This was where the suicide lay; and this was the place where I was, alone - unmanned, shivering with cold in a shroud of snow with a wild storm gathering again upon me! It took all my philosophy, all the religion I had been taught, all my courage, not to collapse in a paroxysm of fright.

(Dracula's Guest)”