Start by marking “Everything Explained Through Flowcharts: All of Life's Mysteries Unraveled Including Tips for World Domination, Which Religion Offers the Best Afterlife, the Secret Recipe for Gettin' Laid Lemonade” as Want to Read:

According to book designer and stand-up comic Doogie Horner (The Ministry of Secret Jokes) everything—absolutely everything—in the seemingly random universe can be connected, charted, comprehended, and ultimately conquered. Everything Explained through Flowcharts is your one-stop decision-making handbook, packed with meticulous diagrams that will illuminate life’s greatest ...more
Published October 26th 2010 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Everything Explained Through Flowcharts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything Explained Through Flowcharts

Start your review of Everything Explained Through Flowcharts: All of Life's Mysteries Unraveled Including Tips for World Domination, Which Religion Offers the Best Afterlife, the Secret Recipe for Gettin' Laid Lemonade
Manny
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Manny by: David G
In his typically dry, understated way, David Giltinan described this book as "pants-crappingly awesome" - but I knew what he meant, and immediately ordered a copy. It does not disappoint.

Friends, we're always* saying we LOLed. LOL is an acronym that is supposed to mean "laugh out loud". In fact, Table 1 give you a detailed breakdown of what LOL really means, using the scale employed by professional Internet humorologists:
_________________________________________
LEAST FUNNY
1 (42%) Knowing smirk
David
Like, omigod dudes and dudettes!!! This book is pants-crappingly awesome* .

Over the past few days the smart folks on GR have been engaged in an ongoing discussion of Richard Powers, in particular the reputed-to-be-remarkable Galatea 2.2. "Ah", I think to myself, "I missed the whole Bolano bandwagon, but here's a chance to make up some ground - I'll order Galatea 2.2 and then I can maybe slip a few pseudo-profundities into the discussion so I can appear smart by association". (This being good
notgettingenough
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
Oh my God, he is SO right. Here I was the other day reading:

"Hardly anybody watches beauty pageants any more, but everybody watches beauty pageant scandal coverage"

They DO? I thought? When have I ever done that?

But just now, dear reader, I found myself clicking on this:

Police investigate third beauty pageant brawl

Shit. How did he know I'd -?

----------

I've been eating breakfast and giggling at this.

I'm not a flowchart sort of girl, so I find myself gravitat
Stephen M
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People looking for a funny read
Recommended to Stephen M by: Manny
Pre-reading needs and the solutions:

1.Trust in the future of image and graphic/word
(mostly)internet driven
media saturating the blogosfere .......................... This book
2.Hope for humanity .......................... The fact that this book was published
3.Antidepressants .......................... Flowchart about cross-species alien coitus
4.A page to cover in saliva from laughing with
my mouth open ........................... Page 36: Figure 1: Improvised Bongs
5.A break from the dense pros
Junta
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Nerds in the US
Shelves: non-fiction, american
Not a bad book, some people will probably love it, but the majority of the 29 chapters I would probably have to assess as 'ok' or 'not especially funny'. I would prefer spending a few hours going through xkcd or Wait But Why, but there were several chapters I did like:

The Afterlife (useful lessons on different religions and what happens after death, in a flowchart)

Heroes and Villains (kill stats, and radar graphs on: Intelligence, Acting, Charisma, Strength, Fighting Skill and Humour for 24 Act
Tessa
Parts of this book are hilarious, but most of it is forgettable.
Thomas Ray
Dec 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Sophomoric.

An /amusing/ decision tree, NOT in the book: goodreads.com/review/show/2593812526
Erikka
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Some absolutely hilarious parts, some I skipped for lack of interest, some I skimmed. Overall, worth looking over for a few good laughs.
Adam Smith
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From comprehensive lists to help you in the afterlife to choosing a name for your metal band to who is the deadliest action star, this book has got you covered. Anything you could possibly need in one handy portable book. Now in helpful chart form.

When they say everything, they mean Everything. The only thing missing is the lemonade they promised. The charts are super detailed and interlinking. You could spend days following the flowing paths and still get lost. This book was incredibly funny, e
Kate
Nov 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
The book consists of intricate flowcharts covering a range of topics, such as a comparative analysis of different religions’ paths to the afterlife (Buddhism has never been clearer); designer paint names (just what color is “Impressionist”? “Antique moss”? “Happy pebble”?), with a two-page spread covering different shades of white paint.

My favorite item in this gem of a collection is “How to Win and Argument,” including instructive drawings showing “expressions to use over an argument, best emp
Chickens McShitterson
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
The essays are a clever mixture of hilarious observations and insightful musings, and the flow charts are quirky and nerdtastic. Many laugh-out-loud moments are contained within- a recommended read for a crowded or claustrophobic environment (public transportation terminals, coach airplane cabins, pubs, or staff meetings).
Harlan
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: never-finished
This is clearly in the category of books that were more fun to write than they are to read. A few of the charts would make amusing infographic posters, but nothing's gained by putting a bunch of unpolished charts in book form.
Justin
I try not to re-read too often because it becomes a bad habit with me, but it was time. Just like the first time I read this book, I lost it at "Ra's dope sky boat" and was pretty much crying by the time I got to "Comic Book Sound Effects". One of the best books ever.
Craig
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
The concept is novel and interesting...flowcharts of information.
I found most of the flowcharts odd and uninteresting; even on topics I like, enjoy, and know quite a bit about.
It wasn't a total waste of time; but I can't recommend it.
Mary Slowik
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Nerds!
Recommended to Mary by: Jane
Shelves: humor
Seriously entertaining. Periodically nostalgic. Riddled with typo's.
Michael Huang
Oct 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Very funny in the beginning, then it gets a bit tired. Overall, a harmless little book that's safe to pass.
H
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Have you ever wondered what kind of paint to use or what category comic book sounds fall into? Then this book is for you!

The author of Everything Explained Through Flowcharts has taken everyday subjects, such as "How to Win an Argument" or the "Afterlife," and breaks them down into a flowchart. You know longer have to wonder how to avoid going to Gre'Thor; this book has you covered!
Suzann
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Mildly interesting content, very little of which is actually in flowchart form.
Nathan
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Not the most amazing book ever.
but in the top 20, it is fun to read thru once or twice and let other people read but it has limited entertainment value.
the redeeming factor is that is a great coffee table book to start a conversation, and get some laughs out of drunk people.
Kim
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great fun! Makes me want to flow chart my whole life!
Jack Burnett
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fucking hilarious.
Ian
Apr 21, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: nonfiction
I. Must. Get. This. Book.
Julio Genao
Mar 14, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julio by: Manny
Shelves: on-hold

because manny made me lol with his review.
Don't Look
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! Good times for everyone! Oh, by the way, through these flowcharts, I found out that I am going to heaven even though I am my own evil twin.
Nov 19, 2016 added it
Shelves: humour
Perfect for bathroom reading. And, of course, for word lists for poetry teaching.
Angela
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Humorous tongue-in-cheek information. I love flow charts!
Goodbob

• The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel
  • The Art of War
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • The Giving Tree
Doogie Horner is the author of This Might Hurt a Bit, Some Very Interesting Cats Perhaps You Weren’t Aware of, Everything Explained Through Flowcharts, A Die Hard Christmas, and other books. His comedy album A Delicate Man was an AV Club staff pick. He won over a hostile NYC audience on America’s Got Talent and is a frequent guest on Doug Loves Movies.

(source: Amazon)