Start by marking “Konung för en dag” as Want to Read:
Konung för en dag

Konung för en dag

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  1,961 Ratings  ·  150 Reviews
Steinbeck's only work of political satire turns the French Revolution on its head, as amateur astronomer Pippin Heristal is drafted in to rule the unruly French. Enchanting comedy ensues as Steinbeck creates the most hilarious royal court ever around the brief, bold reign of the corduroy-clad Pippin, his social-climbing wife Maria, his star-struck daughter Clotilde and her ...more
Published 1971 by Aldus/Bonnier (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Konung för en dag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Konung för en dag

Fábio Martins
Límpido e conciso como Steinbeck costuma ser, balanceia com leveza algumas das suas preocupações sociais e humanitárias de sempre. É um pequeno livro,tardio na sua carreira,que nem por sombras desmerece a sua tremenda obra. Não sou particularmente sensível ao humor,no sentido em que as peripécias mais ou menos pitorescas não me fazem rir. Mas a mordacidade,a sátira e a delicadeza perpassam todo o livro (que se lê num esfregar de olhos)e são óptimos condimentos.
Gostei. Muito
Wayne Barrett
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, humor, 2016

This is Steinbeck's only satirical work and if I may say so, he pulled it off quite nicely. It's a political piece, a subject in which he is knowledgeable, but instead of the darker, dramatic side of the topic that he has always portrayed, John gives us the scenario in a way that we can laugh at. Which, to me, is the only way we can sometimes survive the bullshit.
jeremy
Nov 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
in what clearly must have been an enjoyable writing experience for him, the short reign of pippin iv: a fabrication marks steinbeck's only work of political satire. with characters and a plot reminiscent of italo calvino's fiction, this short novel makes a caricature of the french revolution, and, more broadly, of politics in general. while lacking in the moral impetus so prominent in his other works, pippin may well be one of steinbeck's more humorous books.

"i've never understood america," sai
Argos
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steibeck’in gerçekçi eserlerine alışan benim gibiler için bu fantastik kurgu biraz farklı geldi. Hiciv ağırlıklı hatta zaman zaman seviye sorunu yaşayan mizah tarzıyla başta Fransa ve Amerika olmak üzere global bir demokrasi/ yönetim eleştirisi yapan J. Steinbeck esas olarak kapitalist yaşam biçimi ve tekellerle dalga geçiyor. Realist romanlarından sonra biraz zayıf geldi açıkcası.
Karn Kher
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's delicate, precious even, like the protagonist. A slim touching satire, not as shocking as some other satires like Animal Farm but calmer and pleasanter. An accidental king of France tries to be the King of France. Deep in parts and humorous in large, you should give it a read.
Elliott
Steinbeck's only work of political satire, and according the Introduction by Robert and Katharine Morsberger, the least known of his novels, "The Short Reign of Pippin IV" is by turns playful and philosophical. While Steinbeck gently chastises human beings for their "tendency...to distrust good fortune," he cannot conceal his deep and abiding faith in humanity; a quality that is unmistakably Steinbeckian and one that characterizes all of his works.

NB: Nebraska @ UCLA. Go BRUINS!
Karly *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)*
My musings on The Short Reign of Pippin IV by John Steinbeck.

This was a different type of Steinbeck for me, having read both Of Mice and Men and Cannery Row in the last year or two, I got a feel for the general atmosphere of those novels. This political satire has an entirely different feel to it.

One thing I will make note of here is that I am not a politics girl, at all. Politics by turns bore me and enrage me. A Political satire is perfect in that regard for me. However, I can not speak of p
Buck Ward
Nov 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Well. That was unexpected. How very unsteinbeckish. His only political satire, the blurb says.

It took me a week or more to read this little novella. I kept putting off beginning to read, and then would fall asleep. only reading ten to twenty pages at a time, until the final third, which went pretty quickly. I didn't recognize the prose as Steinbeck. It was formal, as if written in the previous century, though it seemed to ease a bit as the story progressed, but that might have been my becoming a
Mike Frost
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I've continued to lap up the more obscure works in Steinbeck's catalogue, I've skipped this one more than once at the library. It just didn't look anything like a Steinbeck book, and I didn't want to be disappointed in my favorite author, especially after Burning Bright. Finally, as I was hurriedly packing for my recent work trip, I made a quick trip to the library, and after not finding the first 5 books I wanted, I gave in and went with this one, fully expecting to be disappointed.

I was not
Octo
Feb 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dunread
Clever satire on the nature of politics, royalty, marriage, youth, and Franco/American relations. It's amazing that Steinbeck is able to fit so much in this short light-hearted affair. But, hey, that is why I like Steinbeck so much. He just seems to get so much out of simple words and simple sentences.

This little tale is about an ordinary man that reluctantly accepts the throne of King of France. He struggles with what this means and what his powers actually are and how he should use them. Ulti
Chris Dietzel
This is Steinbeck's only satire as well as the only book where he doesn't write about the 'every-man.' The combination doesn't work very well. Steinbeck is at his best when he's writing about people agonizing over their place in the world in a straight forward and sincere way. The satire is not executed as well as other notable authors and you never connect with Pippin the way you connect with all of Steinbeck's other main characters. A must read if you're a huge fan of the author, but a pass fo ...more
Mark Barrett
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to keep checking the name of the author on this one. Having read and loved 'Of Mice and Men' and 'Grapes of Wrath' I could not believe that Steinbeck had this sort of book in him.

High-end political satire with some genuine laugh-out-loud moments. It makes you utter his name in the same breath as Wilde and Wodehouse. A real little gem, that works every bit as much today in its mocking of political spheres and foreign policies as it did when written.
Paul Ispas
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steinbeck altfel. Altfel cum? Amuzant în principal. Urme de umor se găsesc și în alte scrieri ale sale, însă nu la același nivel satiric ca aici. Un deliciu. Și nu pot să nu remarc cum în scurta poveste (cam cât domnia lui Pepin), Steinbeck își pune semnătura clasică: crează niște personaje memorabile. Nu înțeleg de ce a fost această scriere aleasă ca reprezenativă pentru colecția Nobel, dar apreciez curajul editurii.
Mohammad Sherafati
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
رمانی طنز با زمینه ای سیاسی به قلم توانمند جان اشتاین بک ، که سعی کرده است با قلم طنز و البته آغشته به سیاست ، وضعیت فرانسه و تا حدی آمریکا را به نقد بکشاند ، شاید بهترین توصیف را رضا امیرخانی از کتاب داشته باشد :
"بخوانيد تا ببينيد شكستنِ آرمانهای يك چپِ آمريكایی را. مانيفستِ شكست"
پیشنهاد میکنم در سبد مطالعتان قراردهید
James F
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not quite sure what to make of this short novel. The premise is that the French government is deadlocked between parties, and decides to re-establish monarchy. They choose an ordinary person who happens to be descended from Pepin (or Pippin as he spells it) to be king. (Actually not so ordinary; he doesn't work and lives in a mansion off the rent of some vineyards somewhere.) He's intended to be a figurehead, but wants to accomplish something. His program is frightfully radical (actually it' ...more
Mandy
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Steinbeck that had previously escaped me, thoroughly enjoyed this clever and quirky little book. A very relevant comment on the role of monarchy.
Steve Kettmann
A thoroughly enjoyable exercise in Steinbeck trying something different, which I'd call deep satire. If he didn't set the bar so high with his best books, I'd rate this one higher, but it does have a one-chord feel. I recommend it, but not as among the first five books of Steinbeck to read.
Falina
The subject of this novel is politics, and I hate politics, so it was a hard slog for me to get through it. It did become a little more interesting in the second half, and I liked the ending, so I bumped it up from one star for that.
Joe
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing. And I really like Steinbeck.
Erik Graff
Jun 10, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Steinbeck fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: literature
It is remarkable that this dated piece of inconsequential fluff was written by the same man who penned The Grapes of Wrath.
David
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steinbeck's take on French Politics. Oh, those wacky French.
wally
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steinbeck
the short reign of pippin iv: a fabrication, 1957, john steinbeck...1028 ratings, 70 reviews, paperback, 131 pages, penguin classics, dedicated:

to my sister esther

w/an introduction by robert morsberger and katharine morsberger, their notes, works consulted list...the morsbergers are a part of that set defined by steinbeck, quoted in their introduction: "...can and do remain in complete ignorance of any reality--a highly desirable state, i am beginning to believe." and that's all i'm going to say
Maureen
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a surprise! Totally unexpected, and nothing like any other work by John Steinbeck that I have read before. It was an intriguing little book and quite amusing, however it does have its serious message.
The book itself came across as something of a pastiche of the 18th/19th century novel, reminding me of Jane Austen’s ‘Northanger Abbey’. It is a satirical story that tells of how a seemingly ordinary French gentleman, Pippen Heristal, is instated as the King of France, albeit for a short period
Noloter
Jul 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pregno di presunzione, snobismo e disprezzo verso l'Europa e gli europei - in questo caso francesi -
considerati vanagloriosi e ridicolmente e anacronisticamente attaccati al proprio prestigioso passato
al punto da manifestare tratti quasi grotteschi e caricaturali. Tipico da intellettuale americano novecentesco e radical-chic. Ogni tanto alcuni sparuti punti di verità si palesano, per carità, ma purtroppo si perdono subito nel mare di sterotipi, luoghi comuni e situazioni forzatamente paradoss
The Super Moop
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a bit like the Basement Tapes, isn't it?

World renowned "serious" author writes book as airy and good-humoured as... well, the Basement Tapes.

I couldn't help but love it, and that entirely because of the sheer ease of it, the lightness of touch, with that slight melancholy without which it wouldn't be Steinbeck.

It's not his greatest book, but with books like these, I'm not sure greatness is always something to aim for.
Catherine Martin
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a little gem of a book. Supposedly, it's a satire of the French Revolution. Eh, whatever? I didn't get a lot of the satire, I just thought it was funny. It's a story of a very minor French noble in the 1950s who gets roped into being made the French monarch. In the process, Steinbeck manages to skewer most of world politics, culture, and religion. It's a fun little read.
Mike
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever and charming. It reads more like a Wes Anderson movie than a John Steinbeck novel, which makes it amusing, but disconcerting nonetheless. Not his best work, but clearly Steinbeck never intended it to be.
Paul Petrone
There's nothing wrong with this book. Beautifully written, smartly satirical and some powerful insights into human nature. Just didn't really bring me in. But overall enjoyed it, I'd recommend but there are obviously better choices if you are looking Steinbeck.
Blazz J
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steinbeckova brezčasna politična satira. Ko republikanska demokracija postane razlog za revolucijo, ki se jo zatre z restavrirano monarhijo, ta pa je zaradi demokratičnih reform kralja Pipina Četrtega zopet razlog za upor.
Victoria
While comical, this definitely ranks on the low end of Steinbeck's works. However, he does get in some pretty funny digs at politics and government, and the character of Pippin is an interesting one.
  • Dodsworth
  • The Man Within
  • The Four Million
  • The Summing Up
  • The Story Bible, Old & New Testament, Volumes #1-2
  • Faith and Politics: How the "Moral Values" Debate Divides America and How to Move Forward Together
  • Hubbert's Peak: The Impending World Oil Shortage
  • Gilligan's Wake
  • The Deer Park
  • Mr Stone And The Knights Companion
  • Daring Spectacle: Adventures in Deviant Journalism
John Steinbeck III was an American writer. He wrote the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel The Grapes of Wrath, published in 1939 and the novella Of Mice and Men, published in 1937. In all, he wrote twenty-five books, including sixteen novels, six non-fiction books and several collections of short stories.

In 1962 Steinbeck received the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Steinbeck grew up in the Salinas Valley
More about John Steinbeck...

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland
  • The Unremembered Girl
    $4.99 $2.49
  • We're All Damaged
    $3.99 $1.99
“The french are a moral people--judged, that is, by american country club standards.” 2 likes
“Why don't you beat him?” 2 likes