Start by marking “The Heart and the Bottle” as Want to Read:
The Heart and the Bottle

The Heart and the Bottle

Once there was a girl whose life was filled with all the wonder of the world around her. Then one day something occurred that caused the girl to take her heart and put it in a safe place.

However, after that it seemed that more things were empty than before. Would she know when and how to get her heart back?
Published March 4th 2010 by Philomel Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Heart and the Bottle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart and the Bottle

David Schaafsma
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A picture book about grief. A little girl likes to read with her grandfather as he sits in his rocking chair, and then one day she faces an empty chair. Yes, it's that subtle, the chair is just empty, no explanation, really. Her grandpa is gone, and since she feels like she can't risk too much strain on her heart again, the girl grows up solitary, putting her heart in a bottle which she wears tied to a string around her neck. This doesn't make her life easier finally, as one might imagine. One d ...more
بثينة العيسى
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
الكتاب الذي تمنيت لو أنني كتبته.
Lisa Vegan
This is the best picture book about complicated grief I’ve ever read, and one of the best books about it on the subject, period. It’s lovely in every way. It would make a wonderful present for children who’ve lost a loved one, or someone of any age who’s suffered a loss, both recently and long ago. It’s also a great bibliotherapy book for children who are grieving.

I came close to crying, but this overall this is an uplifting book that also made me smile.

There is a perfect amount of text and of
Kayleigh
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Heart and the Bottle is a very short story with a very big message. It is about a girl who is fascinated and curious by everything around her including the stars and the sea. She tells her attentive Father about all the images in her head, but one day she runs to show him her drawings only to find his empty chair. She becomes very lonely and grieving for her Father, she puts her heart in a bottle and hangs it around her neck. This way she some how protects her heart so it does not get hurt o ...more
Archit Ojha
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
How does it feel like to keep your heart in a bottle never to expose it to anyone?

It's life-shattering, isn't it? But what drives one to do such thing?

Do read this picture book about grief and sorrow.
Trish
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've often said that many children grow up over-protected. Many parents dread addressing the big issues with their kids and therefore don't prepare them for what is out there - often claiming that they don't want to be cruel. I disagree with that policy. Should I ever have children, they will never think that there's a farm up-state where all the old animals go. I will certainly not replace a dead pet with one that looks just like it either. Death, as heartbreaking as it is, is also a part of li ...more
Quang Khuê
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Đọc cuốn này ở tiệm Kafka 54/2 Nguyên Cư Trinh, Q1.

Cuốn này không có hài chút nào đâu. Mặc dù ở Kafka có rất nhiều sách buồn cười và hài hước, nhưng cuốn này hem phải như thế.

Mình nhớ nhất cuốn này ở cách kể câu chuyện cô bé mất bố. Mà kể rất hay nhé, hông có một chết lẫn từ mất nào, chỉ có mỗi câu chiếc ghế bố cô bé ngồi hằng ngày một hôm bỗng trống không.

Mô tả sự mất mát hay đến thế là cùng, các bạn nhở. Chúa đấy!

Ngoài ra, tranh cũng rất đẹp đấy. Không đùa đâu.
Hayat
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Hayat by: Martin
***I'd like to thank my GR friend Martin for this rec!***

This is a touching story about bereavement in childhood and learning to accept the loss of a loved one.

But when the time comes, will she remember how to take her heart out of the bottle?

Sa
Melki
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those wonderful books where you don't know whether to cry or smile, so you wind up doing a little of both. Highly recommended.

description
Ana
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
É tãaaao saboroso intercalar leituras adultas com leituras infantis! Tiro o chapéu aos inúmeros autores que se dedicam a escrever para os mais pequenotes, porque não considero fácil condensar em poucas palavras uma história apelativa, que prenda os leitores mais jovens e os faça agarrar o livrinho, espreitar as imagens, relacioná-las com o texto e consciente ou inconscientemente compreender que o que leram ou ouvirem alguém ler os levará a crescer.
Em O coração e a garrafa deparámo-nos com um dos
owl
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
nyolong baca di ak.sa.ra citos :D
curhat mode: ON
jadi mendingan gak usah di baca :D
__

pesannya dalem banget. bercerita tentang cinta dan kehilangan. dengan lembut, Jeffers mengambarkan bagaimana seharusnya menghadapi rasa kehilangan itu. sangat menyentuh! bagi saya, buku ini muncul di bulan yang tepat. membuat hati saya bergetar. namun entah, belum dapat membuat saya beranjak. dari sebuah sudut yang gelap.

ah,
jadi ingin mengingat masa itu.

lima tahun yang lalu...
di bulan Ramadhan 1428 H
saat Tuhan me
Amanda
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked the deceptively simple illustrations. I also appreciated how the child narrator grew up in this story - the only other book I can remember doing this is The Giving Tree. And interesting look at dealing with grief and how quick fixes may be damaging in the long run. I'm glad this was recommended to me.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Oliver Jeffers writes very grown-up picture books, the kind that kids love and that can make adults cry. Okay, so he can make this adult cry - especially with The Heart and the Bottle.

It's the story of a little girl, "much like any other, whose head was filled with all the curiosities of the world." Her grandfather takes her to the forest, the beach, and listens to her stories and all her many questions. But then one day his armchair is empty.

heart and bottle

heart and bottle 2

She puts her heart in a glass bottle so it can't b
Trinh Nguyen
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Đọc đi đọc lại lần thứ mấy mươi rồi mà tôi vẫn cứ như: bừng tỉnh và nhớ ra gần như toàn bộ tuổi thơ mình. Đọc thêm tại: http://docsach.org/2017/03/13/trai-ti...
b.andherbooks
Well punch me right in my heart book. Jeez. I've been looking for some books to help my six-year old understand sadness, grief, and death because her beloved grandpa and my dad died way too soon from a horrible and incurable brain tumor.

This one was a little over her head and hard for her to conceptualize, but it really really struck home for me, the grownup. I think the inclusion of a male presenting character (to me a grandpa) who has a beloved chair (just like my dad), and an adoring little
Claire Holloway
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After wanting to read this book for a while and it being on my ‘list of betterment’ of books that I want to read, I finally bought it. I can say that I was not disappointed with this book and it offers lots of talking points in the story, such as Why is the chair empty? Why did the girl take her heart out? It also shows that how as we get older we sometimes lose our imaginations and curiosity that children have and that it takes a child to ‘release it’ again. Although this book is very different ...more
Margaux
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
New favorite book when it comes to dealing with loss.
This coming-of-age tale follows a young girl from young childhood through adulthood as she struggles with the overwhelming loss of a male father figure in her life. In simple terms and using the metaphor of putting your heart away in a bottle which she then ties around her neck, Jeffers’s story illustrates how curiosity and learning can revive even the most difficult of losses. With simple mixed media illustrations using paint and colored penc
Lelita P.
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I know I'm one of the people who almost lost their true self during adulthood. I know I have put my heart in the bottle too after facing so many changes in my life. I know I lost a kid's innocence when I let a child hidden in myself to be replaced by an adult persona. I know growing up makes me become more normal and realistic, not as imaginative as before. I still have a lot of unanswered questions about many things, but like the girl in this book, I have nobody to answer those all, so......... ...more
Alethea A
Dec 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: wonderful and curious people of all sizes
Meeting Oliver Jeffers: http://www.readnowsleeplater.com/2010...

I absolutely love Oliver Jeffers's art--when I saw this, I thought, finally! A girl book. I don't usually make much distinction when I'm reading a girl or boy picture book (unless it's dipped in bilious pink) but when I try to sell parents or grandparents one of his books, I usually get an exasperated look and a "but, the gift is for a little *girl*". What? I read books about little boys when I was a little girl, and as long as the
Ellie Labbett
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jeffers highlights the isolating process of accepting the death of a loved one, the need to separate yourself from your feelings and reject a world that once sparkled with awe and wonder. Embracing love from others can lift the weight of sorrow and open the door to re-entering a life that appeared broken and impossible to reach.
So sensitively and simply told, the illustrations ache with loss and yet fill the reader with hope that life can and will repair itself. A lovely use a metaphor which enc
Sabrina
Apr 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Overall, the artwork and impact of this book was fantastic. However, I did feel it was a slight bit cliche, as "creativity" and "unfollow the norm" is becoming more and more popular to force idiosyncracy out of individuals. Furthermore, about halfway through the book I was rather confused at one part. It was a sudden jump, and I thought I skipped a page.
Yet, I loved the ending, I loved the book, and the last sentence was marvelous. Despite that, I only deemed it three stars for it's sudden abru
cọng rơm
sao lần đọc cọp đầu tin ko thí zui?
ròi khi trở thành món quà sinh nhật dịu dàng lại thí zui như zị?
chắc tại có cô bé nhỏ tủi hơn nhắc mình về những nìm zui trong trẻo zà những phép mầu nhịm trẻ thơ không cần có lô zic bao giờ :D
Ebtihal Abuali
كتاب مؤثر، أثرّ بي بطريقة لا أفهمها، وأفكر كيف بوسعه أن يكون كتاب أطفال. عن الخوف من الألم العاطفي الذي يدفعنا لتغليف قلبنا في زجاجة. عن ما نفقده حين نفعل ذلك.
Liza Nahas
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A bit heart wrenching, but beautiful! Nice surprise from Jeffers!
Nicki Fairman
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this picture book! A beautiful way of discussing personal grief and the loss of someone close. It is a talking point, an opportunity to ask questions, to begin discussions on how the girl in the book may be feeling - which may run parallel to the feelings of the reader.
Carrie
Oliver Jeffers is starting to become one of my favorite children's authors.
Naomi Stafford
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
This book spoke a lot to me. It’s sad but reassuring.
Bayan Ashoor
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The idea amazes me !
Henry Ratul
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The chair wasn't so empty anymore but the bottle was.

This one reminds me of my grandparents. ❤ I love you and miss you dadu and thaku.
Fernanda Espinosa L. (Entre tazas de té blog)
Qué lindo hubiera sido leer este libro de niña. Qué ganas de regalárselo a todas mis primas que son niñas todavía y a más personas que quiero. En El corazón y la botella , Oliver Jeffers nos entrega una historia bellísima sobre el duelo, la pérdida y el autoconocimiento. Este hombre no puede hacerlo mal.
  • My Father's Arms Are a Boat
  • Cupcake
  • Jeremy Draws a Monster
  • The Gift of Nothing
  • Cooking with Henry and Elliebelly
Oliver Jeffers' work takes many forms. His distinctive paintings have been exhibited in galleries worldwide, and HarperCollins UK and Penguin USA publish his award-winning picture books, now translated into over 30 languages.

In 2007, Jeffers was the official illustrator for World Book Day, and in 2008 Lost and Found became Oliver's first book to made into animation by London-based Studio AKA.

Jeffe
“In truth, nothing was the same. She forgot about the stars… and taking notice of the sea. She was no longer filled with all the curiosities of the world and didn’t take much notice of anything… other than how heavy… and awkward the bottle had become.” 30 likes