Start by marking “Crisis, Opportunity, and The Christian Future” as Want to Read:
Crisis, Opportunity, and The Christian Future

Crisis, Opportunity, and The Christian Future

We are witnessing the end of Western Civilization. The present crisis in our culture is the greatest since the first century. Many commentators on the present scene believe that the entire world is moving into a period of neo-tribalism. In this striking book, theologian James B. Jordan argues that this cultural change is part of God's ongoing plan for humanity, the plan by ...more
63 pages
Published 2008 by Athanasius Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Crisis, Opportunity, and The Christian Future, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crisis, Opportunity, and The Christian Future

Start your review of Crisis, Opportunity, and The Christian Future
Jason Twombly
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: james-b-jordan
"Crisis, Opportunity, and the Christian future," challenges the Christian to a life of "total Bible saturation." James B. Jordan, building on the ideas of Eugene Rosenstock-Huessy, categorizes history into three main Biblical eras. Like the men of Issachar, "If we understand how God guides the development of human history, we can begin to understand the therapies needed to correct the problems of our own time."

Jordan explains how history spirals through specific phases and illustrates them from
Chris Griffith
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A concise, informative, and intriguing evaluation of where the church is in world history, the direction we are moving, and a vision of biblical praxis for the future.
Aaron Ventura
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an essay (short 60 page book) by James Jordan on the typology of history. Jordan argues that our present cultural crisis is a ripe opportunity for Christianity to found a new civilization more firmly rooted in God's Word. Even if you disagree with his reading of history in terms of certain cycles or eras of the Father, Son, Spirit, or Ten Commandments, his applications from those principles are insightful. Highly recommend!

"The sinful tendency in all cosmopolitan civilizations is syncret
Hin-Tai
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. In terms of insight, new perspectives, and ambition, this is the best 46 pages I have ever read. In some chapters I could've highlighted pretty much every single paragraph. First written in 1994, there are spot-on prophecies of the explosion of identity politics and growing localism (though he writes about Welsh desires for autonomy as opposed to Brexit or Scotland) that have pretty much happened only in the last couple of years. Jordan's biblical-historical framework is striking, and as he ...more
John
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Jordan argues that there are three "fundamental eras" in human history, and that these eras help us understand our own times. There is the era of the Father, the era of the Son, and the age of the Spirit.

There are the three falls: Adam's fall in the garden (sin against the Father), Cain's fall in the land (sin against the Son/brother), and the fall of the Sethites in the world (sin against the Holy Spirit). The cycle repeats again in Genesis, with Abraham emphasizing God the Father, Jacob emphas
Caleb Smith
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
James Jordan is always a worthwhile read, but I was not expecting this Crisis, Opportunity, and the Christian Future to be what it is. This book is perhaps one of the most important books for the 21st century Church that I've read, with probably only The Benedict Option (and the two are very different) being comparable in sheer usefulness for Christian reflection on the current time.

The book begins with an intriguing claim:
We are approaching a vast change in human history. Several large historic
Jacob Aitken
EDIT:

I am very critical of Jordan, but this is actually a decent pamphlet. He divides Church History into Trinitarian cycles along the lines of Priest, King, Prophet. The Patristic age was "priestly" (fleshing out the doctrine of God), the medieval age was kingly (I guess that makes sense, what with Christendom and all), and the Reformation age is prophetic (I suppose I see it).

It's neat and not a bad outline of history.
Patrick
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: bible
As with most of James Jordan's writings, most of this book sounds so speculative that I have no idea how to even figure out if he is right or not. It sure sounds good, though. ...more
Jonah
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Timely and appropriate. A good, quick read on how the Western Church is to move forward in history.
Douglas Gates
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent.
Chris Wermeskerch
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm not usually a fan of Jordan's cultural exegesis. This book was a lot of what I don't read Jordan for, but contained quite a few golden nuggets in the end. ...more
Mark
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great content, but too brief to be understood unless you have previously read other Jordan works, Peter Leithart works, and/or Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy works.
Jake Litwin
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, non-fiction
Really good short read on Jordan’s thesis on the eras of history. For anyone brand new to Jordan, this is the book to start with to get introduced to what he is all about.
wpschrec
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: culture, theology
Interesting. More of an essay than a book. Not sure how much I agree with him. I do think we're at a pivotal moment right now ...more
Grant Van Brimmer
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I believe Jordan is on to something here. I'm always intrigued by his trinitarian view of things. I think this essay is definitely helpful. ...more
Benjamin Alexander
Dec 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: culture-issues
This was probably not Jordan's best, many confusing multi-layered themes that weren't carefully established. It's a small book. But.. But, there is some really good and important stuff in there too. In essence, he argues that Christians today have an exciting opportunity to shape a new element in world and church history with the fall of modernism and the entrance to a new identity and force in culture. He speaks of post-modernism (without naming it) as an opportunity for the Church to display t ...more
Michael Jones
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a very short, broad sweeping overview of the Bible and history.

In this one he is not carefully substantiating his conclusions, but rather building upon his years of work With Biblical Horizons to show huge mega patterns of history.

he has already done what he calls upon you to do: total Bible saturation. When you become saturated with the patterns Scripture, you will begin to see the patterns of history through God's eyes.

This in turn will help you to understand where we are today. At it
Matt Carpenter
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an intriguing and thought-provoking book. It helps if you've already read his book "Through New Eyes," because it builds on themes established in that book. In this work Jordan explains his philosophy of history and where he believes the church is headed. Whether you agree with him or not, he will make you think about things that hadn't occurred to you before. ...more
Jo
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
This is a wonderful little essay. I will definately be reading it again. It takes the long view of things - a commodity that is woefully short in the Christin world at large these day. Dr. Jordan explains the historical patterns concisely and gives a biblical mandate that wonderfully refocuses kingdom vision.
Scott
May 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Jordan's exploration of the patterns of redemptive history and what they mean for the future was quite thought-provoking, though they were quite general (in order to fit in a small work, I imagine).

His call for churches to recover the parish model, teach the Bible in depth, and offer community in a time of loneliness and isolation seemed just right.
John Barbour
This is a must read for all Christian Leaders. Although it is now 20 years old it is still very relevant to the situation we find ourselves in. James Jordan is an unusual yet creative thinker. he will challenge you to look to God and the future with hope and optimism. This is my second time reading it. The last time was 15 years ago.
Douglas Hayes
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent treatment of biblical history as a foundation for Christian hope and the historical progress of the gospel. Clearly, Jordan is using Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy as a basis of some of his thoughts.
Andrew Stout
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I can't say that I fully buy into Jordan's biblical framework of cultural cycles, but he does offer some excellent insights into the current state of Western culture and ways in which the Church should respond. ...more
Bennett
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it

Most of the sentences in this essay need book-length exposition. As such, it is at various times frustrating and exhilarating. A good beginning for serious discussion about the nature of the Church's mission at this stage in Western history.
Ryan
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it

Very intriguing and thought provoking. I'm not sure that I'm fully convinced by His Biblical/Historical Framework, but His diagnosis of the current state of Western society seems to be right on and the prescription he puts forth is key.
Jeff Irwin
Nov 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book expands upon concepts and themes set out in through new eyes, and presents a fully Trinitarian view of history.
Luke
Jul 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Quick read, thought-provoking conclusion. The future of the church is wrapped up in its eating, singing, and community.
Douglas Hayes
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a book that develops a biblical philosophy of history.
Brian
Nov 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended.
Daniel
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Good book. Provocative. The Christian has real need to work towards a better future. The world is not coming to an end any time soon.

• Theopolitan Liturgy (Theopolis Fundamentals)
  • The Theopolitan Vision
  • Slaying Leviathan: Limited Government and Resistance in the Christian Tradition
  • From Silence to Song: The Davidic Liturgical Revolution
  • Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (Defense of Liberty Against Tyrants)
  • Ride, Sally, Ride
  • The Naked Sun (Robot, #2)
  • Honest Money: Biblical Principles of Money and Banking (Biblical Blueprint Series, #5)
  • Jesus and the Victory of God (Christian Origins and the Question of God, #2)
  • Magical Realism for Non-Believers: A Memoir of Finding Family
  • This Deceitful Light (Sir Blandford Candy Adventure Series Book 2)
  • Metropolitan Manifesto:  On Being the Counselor to the King in a Pluralistic Empire
  • The Last Roundhead (Sir Blandford Candy Adventure Series Book 1)
  • The Doctrine of the Lesser Magistrates: A Proper Resistance to Tyranny and a Repudiation of Unlimited Obedience to Civil Government
  • Solomon Says: Directives for Young Men
  • Advent for Everyone: Matthew: A Daily Devotional
  • The Meal Jesus Gave Us: Understanding Holy Communion
  • Did America Have a Christian Founding?: Separating Modern Myth from Historical Truth
James B. Jordan is a Calvinist theologian and author. He is director of Biblical Horizons ministries, a think tank in Niceville, Florida that publishes books, essays and other media dealing with Bible commentary, Biblical Theology, and liturgy.

Jordan was born in Athens, Georgia, and he attended the University of Georgia, where he received a B.A. in comparative literature and participated in Campus

News & Interviews