Start by marking “Incorruptible, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Incorruptible, Vol. 1

Incorruptible, Vol. 1

(Incorruptible #1)

The flip side to BOOM! Studios' break-out smash hit, IRREDEEMABLE examines the hard, difficult road to changing your ways and making a difference in the world...
Super villain Max Damage had an epiphany the day The Plutonian destroyed Sky City. When The Plutonian turned his back on humanity, Max Damage decided to step up. Now Max Damage has changed his name to Max Daring
Published June 1st 2010 by BOOM! Studios (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Incorruptible, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Incorruptible, Vol. 1

Start your review of Incorruptible, Vol. 1
Anne
Re-read 2018

I liked it better this time around, but most of my original feelings on the book stand. It's not awesome enough that I'd run around flapping it in random strangers' faces demanding that they give it a chance, but it wasn't awful, either.

description

Original review: 2012
This left me with a sort of blah feeling.
It's not as good (by a long shot) as Irredeemable, but it was all my library had...so there you go.

description

With Irredeemable I could kind of see how someone who was good finally snapped
Amanda
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, blog
In Irredeemable, Mark Waid explores what would happen if one of the world's most formidable superheroes flips a switch and becomes the villain. The Plutonian turns his back on humanity and instead indulges in creating the violence and destruction he once sought to stop. When the superhero who once kept you in check has now bumped you down to number 2 on the FBI's most wanted list, what's a supervillain to do?

For Max Damage in Incorruptible, the answer is attempt to fill the void left in Sky City
Jeff
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
What would happen if one of the world’s most notorious villains suddenly was wearing a white hat? Bad guys turning over a new leaf isn’t a new concept. It’s happened before even if it is a temporary move. Magneto, Sandman, Juggernaut and Deathstroke are examples that come to mind. Mark Waid offers his take in this, the first volume, in which Max Damage, former villain, has a rare moment of conscience while watching a hero, the Plutonian, destroy a city.

What’s interesting here is Max trying to
Josh
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Not as good as Irredeemable, but still an enjoyable read.
William Thomas
Although I was impressed with Waid's Irredeemable to the Nth degree, this book made little to no serious impression whatsoever.

The character writing seems stiff and the dialogue in this series becomes almost comedic during some interchanges, but not purposefully. I had thought that this book might match the seriousness of the situations outlined in Irredeemable, but was mistaken. It has instead seemed to fill as countermeasure to the grave tone set out with the Plutonian storyline- and has given
Blindzider
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
It's fun going back to the Irredeemable universe and seeing certain things from a different perspective. I'm not quite sold on the concept just yet. Don't really need a reason for why Max had a change of heart but other than him constantly yelling at people and saying he's trying to help while they are shooting at him, I'm not sure where this can go. There's also something about the art that I dislike, but can't put my finger on it.

Reading this for free through the graphitecomics website.
Dave Suiter
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Max Damage had it easy. He was the king of crime in Sky City and was rated the FBI’s most wanted criminal. Then he was bumped down to number two on that list by the world’s greatest super hero, the Plutonian. The Plutonian lost his mind and has gone on a worldwide rampage murdering and destroying anything that dares come near him. Max Damage has seen what is happening and now he is changing his ways. Incorruptible is the comic book series focusing on Max Damage and his turn from evil to good. ...more
Dave
May 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
A companion series to the truly thrilling IRREDEEMABLE, this one does not hold up nearly as well. The main character seems inconsistent, and his motivations are sketchy at best.

That said, it is Mark Waid, and this is only the first trade. I'll be keeping an eye on this one to see how it develops.

And if worse comes to worse and INCORRUPTIBLE sucks throughout, IRREDEEMABLE is still a milestone work of sequential art.
Printable Tire
The flipside to Mark Waid's Irredeemable, this story follows a super villain turning good after (let's just say) a traumatic incident. I didn't find it as interesting as Irredeemable as it follows in a more traditional comic-booky story arch with stock characters. It's a lot tougher showing someone turning good than it is the other way around. For a good example of this subject, see Burgess Meredith's wacky masterpiece The Yin and Yang of Mr. Go, starring Jeff Bridges.
Mike
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
After three issues of Incorruptible, the freshness of this storyline is wearing off, and Waid's pedestrian dialogue is starting to grate on me. I'm feeling less and less of the fun of new things, and I could really care less about the main character here. He's pretty much the epitome of two-dimensional: sociopath turns good, little nuance and a lot of meh. Disappointing.
Jesse A
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed how this series started. I've yet to read Irredeamable so maybe that will affect my views on this one but as of right now 4 stars!
Patrick
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very nice artwork. A nice spin on the old 'good-guy-gone-bad' storyline, this is 'bad-guy=gone-good'! Fun to see his old associates trying to deal with this major shift!
Jacob
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Interesting concept. I'll carry on reading the series and try out Irredeemable.
Adam Stone
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: superhero-comics
It's somewhat remarkable how different Incorruptible is from its "parent title", Irredeemable Premier Edition Volume One. While Irredeemable tells the story of a long-time superhero who seemingly cracks and becomes a genocidal supervillain, Incorruptible tells the story of a supervillain who was set to commit his own act of genocide when he sees The Plutonian (the rogue hero from Irredeemable) has started killing people, and decides he needs to become a superhero and stop The Plutonian.

It could
Graeme Dunlop
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I enjoyed "Incorruptible" way more than "Irredeemable". I that's because the journey from bad guy to good guy -- like, truly good guy -- is way harder and possibly more personal than good guy to bad guy.

From a good guy's perspective, you can see all the sin and evil and filth and as long as your moral code holds, you can resist it. But if your code fails, well, then, it's open season on evil and debauchery.

But to come the other way is, I feel, a lot less clear. Whilst you're in the bad
Terry Collins
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mark Waid gives us the flip side of the Irredeemable Saga in this companion series, as former indestructible bad guy Max Damage sees the horror unleashed by a "Superman Gone Insane," and goes from super villain to hero on his terms (a man with no moral code or honor becomes almost too good to be true to set an example of what a hero should be). Some shaky moments lifting the concept off the ground since this is a trickier series to write than Irredeemable, but so far, equally enjoyable and ...more
JB
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Almost really good, ultimately feels like wasted potential. Intended to be a limited series, but comes off as though there was not an intended direction for the series. Spends way too much time on an antagonist that makes no sense for the setting. Mainly fun for the clever world-building. Has really no effect on the primary series this is a spin off of, so you can read Irredeemable in its entirety before starting this series (there was a crossover, but it carries nothing from this series over to ...more
One Flew
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
In a world where a superman goes rogue in a genocidal way, the villians have to explore their place in the new world.

I really enjoyed Irredeemable and like most people thought that Incorruptible wasn't quite as innovative. The main problem with it is that it is more farcical than it is intresting. This is the sort of project I would expect from Mark Millar, not Mark Waid. There are some good elements and it does a decent job of expanding the world that Waid created, it just would have benefited
B
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
So, it's kind Reverse Batman? But it seems to be more crude than insightful at this point.

Also, I don't get how this takes place following Irredeemable because the Plutonian could bring all of this to a halt.
Simon
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
A companion piece to the wonderful Irredeemable - a story about Superman going insane. This focusses on a super villain of that world, who decides to try and become as good as Superman becomes evil.

And it's... okay. But problematic.
Sebastian Song
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
The flip side to Irredeemable doesn't impress from the start but it does have its potential. We shall see with the rest of the series.
Julio Bonilla
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nicholas
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it
In truth, about 3.5 stars. Review applies to the entire series read over the span of two days.

Incorruptible reads pretty much like a single arc because of its brevity, although there are separate subplots that develop Max's character. The story follows Max Damage, one-time super villain and archenemy of the Plutonian, Earth's greatest superhero. When the Plutonian flips out and goes on a murderous rampage, Max is faced with what at first appears to be a superficial identity crisis. If Plutonian
Fizzgig76
Reprints Incorruptible #1-4 (December 2009-March 2010). The world’s greatest superhero, the Plutonian, has turned into the world’s greatest villain. With the world in fear, the only hope is the world’s greatest supervillain Max Damage. While Max is trying to prove his change in direction to the world, he teams with his under-aged sidekick Jailbait and Lieutenant Armadale of Sky City to begin his battle to free the world of the danger of the Plutonian but first he must gain the world’s trust.

Nicola Mansfield
Jul 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Reason for Reading: I'm really enjoying the Irredeemable series and this is a parallel series which has the premise of the reverse happening. I was eager to read it as I have also become a big fan of Mark Waid.

Incorruptible is the story of Max Damage the world's toughest super villain, who was there the day that Plutonium turned evil going berserk and destroying the city. This hit Max with an epiphany, if the Plutonium was no longer the one saving the world there was no one else left who was
Justin
Jul 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
"What if the world's greatest supervillain decided to become the world's greatest hero?"

Having only read the first volume of Mark Waid's IRREDEEMABLE, the story of the ultimate superhero-turned-ultimate supervillain (imagine if Superman finally became so fed up with humanity and his place within it that he decided to destroy the world rather than save it, and you've got the right idea), I was a little less skeptical to tackle this particular story, which is the precise flip-side of IRREDEEMABLE:
Steve Chaput
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
In INCORRUPTIBLE, writer Mark Waid shows us the other side of the world he has created in his IRREDEEMABLE series. Whereas, the later book reveals the changes brought about when the World's Greatest Super-hero, The Plutonian, turns evil, this series deals with Max Damage. Damage, once the most infamous superpowered villain in Sky City, decides that it is up to him to become the hero that the Plutonian once was and do his best to protect the survivors of Plutonian's rampage.

Aided by artist Jean
Anthony
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
My cousins gifted me with Volumes 1 and 2 of this series for Christmas because they were on my Amazon Wish List. I'd meant to get around to this after reading IRREEDEMABLE, the series it spins off from, but Volume 1 was on the table in front of me when I sat down to eat lunch, so I jumped in. I suppose that could have been a dangerous decision. I did momentarily wonder if I needed to be immersed in the parent series to understand the companion series but I can honestly say that Waid, Diaz and ...more
Emily Green
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Incorruptible: Volume 1 begins the story of a super villain turned super hero as the result of a super hero turning super villain. Max Damage, whose body is so hard that it prevents him from being hurt, reappears after disappearing for some time, only to help the police trap his old gang. All of them end up in custody, except for Jail Bait, his former girlfriend.

The plot pits Damage against a villain who can potentially destroy the world, as well as pitting him against his past. He determines
Rosa
So this graphic novel is the flip side of the Irredeemable series by the same author. Max Damage used to be a villain, however after witnessing the carnage that the Plutonian has wrought on the world he feels a need to turn himself around. In this book we witness Damage's return to society and get to find out a little bit about his origin.

Right now I have to say the most interesting part of this series is Damage's relationship with Jailbait. When you hear Jailbait recount what their
« previous 1 3 next »

• Harbinger, Volume 2: Renegades
  • Astro City, Vol. 12: Lovers Quarrel
  • The Boys, Volume 8: Highland Laddie
  • Bloodshot, Volume 1: Setting the World on Fire
Mark Waid (born March 21, 1962 in Hueytown, Alabama) is an American comic book writer. He is best known for his eight-year run as writer of the DC Comics' title The Flash, as well as his scripting of the limited series Kingdom Come and Superman: Birthright, and his work on Marvel Comics' Captain America.

Incorruptible (7 books)